VII: dēaþ

white rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minjoo quite expected this already, to be honest. Not just her, but everyone.


 

Hanteon Land officially declared a war over Beairterre, and now, the said kingdom is already moving towards their land, gradually— just to warn the other party. However, Beairterre is prepared, they are well-prepared, they were just waiting for them to move, actually. They’ve been preparing for the last two or three years already.


 

However, Minjoo was surprised because it took long for the war to break, with the peace treaty and stuff not working and both sides kept arguing, it still lasted years before one of the parties finally started to move.


 

And now, she found herself sitting on one of the thrones in the hall packed with panicking elders and nobles. She then turned her head to look at her father who’s just silent, but his eyes are burning in anger and determination. He just came from the palace grounds, and talked with General Ahn and other captains.


 

“They officially started to infiltrate our property,” King Minhoon said, clasping his hands together. “And I won’t allow that, they are touching our land, our people. I just talked with General Ahn, they also hunted some soldiers, trying to back them away from our place and as they do that, we’re evacuating our netizens to a more safe place. As much as possible, I won’t let them step inside our kingdom.” He stated and stood up, announcing other stuff.


 

Minjoo didn’t care much about it, she’s too lost into her deep thoughts. Mostly about Yujin. Speaking of the latter, the guard was there earlier at the hall but General Ahn called for her and so, Hyewon is the one who’s currently guarding her. Yujin is most probably helping to shove the other rebels away.


 

She heard that the warriors and other troupes will depart later in the morning, they will travel to the said battlefield a few miles away from the kingdom, where no innocent people will be killed. She couldn’t help but to worry to death. Yujin will be away from her for months, and she might get injured badly or worse, die in that very fight. Even though we say she’s more than capable of killing people, there’s still this negative thought.


 

And while Yujin fights there, Hyewon will be her temporary guard and companion. She doesn’t mind it of course, but she would rather make Yujin stay there and just guard her to avoid risks of getting hurt or dying but she’s an Ahn. A real warrior, a killer. People need her. And knowing Yujin, she would choose to fight the enemies and serve the kingdom to safety.


 

To be honest, she doesn’t know whether to feel proud or scared.


 

With thoughts filling her mind up, Hyewon noticed it and immediately checked on her. “Princess?” She whispered quietly but enough for Minjoo to hear, not wanting to disturb the King’s speech. The said princess snapped back into reality and looked at the guard. “Yes?” She responded.


 

Hyewon tilted her head, inspecting the princess further. She looks very distressed, she could tell. “Are you alright? You seem… very off. Is it about the war?” She asked, scooting a little bit closer to the princess.


 

Minjoo bit her lower lip. “Yes, partly,” She muttered, looking up to the guard who’s giving her a worried look. “Are you scared, lovely?” Hyewon questioned softly. “Very. I’m beyond terrified for our warriors, for our land.” Minjoo replied back, her gaze dropping to the floor.

 

“Worry not, dear princess. I’m sure we will win this one, they wouldn’t be able to lay a foot inside this kingdom. We have the strongest and fiercest warriors out there, Yujin can kill half of them alone. That’s how capable the Ahns are, they are our hidden weapons.” Hyewon reassured, looking at the front.


 

The princess sighed, getting even more distressed upon hearing that Yujin could fight half of them, the risk of getting hurt will rise even more then! It didn’t ease or comfort Minjoo in the slightest bit.


 

Hyewon chuckled upon noticing how the princess became more distressed over what she had said. “Princess, don’t think of it too much. Yujin will survive,” She said, which made Minjoo snap her gaze to her. Hyewon giggled when Minjoo gave her a look. “I’m close friends with Yujin, princess. I know how capable that wolf is. So, don’t stress yourself over it.” She winked before fixing her posture.


 

Minjoo sank into the throne, avoiding Hyewon’s side-eyed gaze. Obviously, Hyewon knows something about her and Yujin, not going to be surprising since that warrior is smart and very observant, it didn’t help that she’s close with them, especially Yujin. But she’s relieved, they could trust Hyewon, not just Hyewon but other friends of Yujin. They might look playful and not serious but they’re actually very reliable and trustworthy, Minjoo likes all of Yujin’s friends, they’re friendly too and strong.


 

And once again, Minjoo just stayed there, waiting for the meeting to be dismissed and finally after twenty minutes, her Father walked away after a warrior suddenly interrupted, asking for the King’s presence at the palace ground once again because General Ahn is back.


 

The meeting was finally adjourned and the elders started to talk with one another while walking away, probably going to their own businesses— they still have a major role for this war anyway.


 

Minjoo stood up and went to her mother. “Mother,” She called for her attention and the Queen looked at her daughter lovingly but Minjoo could clearly see the sadness and fear, after all, this is the first time she experienced a very huge fight that resorted to violence or simply, war. Beairterre is a very peaceful land, they never really provoke others for a war nor even try to take other kingdoms’ resources and all, because firstly, they have almost everything here plus, their ancestors forbid them to cause havoc.


 

One of the reasons why Beairterre is one of the best, and that’s also probably why a lot of kingdoms want to take over their precious land.


 

“Dear, I will support and follow your Father around. You can rest,” Haejoo said softly before nodding to Hyewon. “Warrior, please her to her room.” She ordered and the guard immediately nodded, bowing after to show respect. “Rest up, we’ll call you in a bit. We need to talk later with the Hwangs, family matters.” The Queen added before finally walking away with her handmaidens and guards, escorting her out of the hall.


 

Minjoo and Hyewon stood there at the hall, alone together. The guard then looked at the princess. “Your highness? Let’s go?” She asked with a small smile. The princess glanced at Hyewon, shaking her head softly. “Please accompany me at the tower instead, I want to see what’s happening from below.” She said, and Hyewon hesitated for a second but nodded anyway.


 

“Of course, princess. As you wish,” She said, and both of them went to the tower. Fortunately, there’s no other people there, they were too busy at the palace ground or either, they already departed the palace so they could see their family.


 

The King himself forbade Minjoo to step on the palace grounds because there’s a lot of people there, it would be better if she would stay inside the palace. She’s more protected and safe there, Minjoo understood it very well, so she would just go to the tower and watch from above because she wanted to know what’s happening below and probably try to spot Yujin.


 

Minjoo walked to the window, sitting there at the edge and leaned her upper body to the frame as her eyes dropped at the commotion below. Hyewon just went to the other side, leaning to the wall and also looked down to see what’s happening.


 

Minjoo looked like a princess waiting for her prince charming, but in this story, she’s waiting for her wolf, her warrior, her guard.


 

There’s a whole crowd of warriors and royal guards at the grounds, roaming around and some were talking. Minjoo saw her father and General Ahn in front of the entrance, talking seriously. And jackpot, she easily spotted Yujin, she’s just standing there with Yena behind General Ahn.


 

Slowly, a smile started to curve up into her lips, her heart calming down upon seeing the young warrior from afar. Hyewon saw it and just smiled before minding her own business once again.


 

Minjoo’s eyes remained there at Yujin, watching her every move. She even flinched when the said young warrior turned her head towards her direction, she must’ve probably sensed that someone was looking at her from afar. Well, not surprising for a wolf like Ahn Yujin.


 

She saw that the warrior fully turned her body towards her direction so she could stare back at her easily. Minjoo could even see the warrior’s sheepish grin which made her smile too.


 

Yujin waved happily at her, and Minjoo shyly waved back. What an idiot.


 

It didn’t last, Yujin had to turn her attention to her father and the King, Minjoo decided to finally go back to her room too after a one last look at Yujin and the fantastic view of the whole kingdom. Hyewon escorted her there, and stayed outside the princess’ room with other few guards. Only Yujin can enter and stay in Minjoo’s room.


 

The princess’ rest didn’t even last for three hours because the Queen personally went to her chamber to fetch her. After fixing herself, Minjoo went outside with her mother, walking down to the royal hall again— the Hwangs are already waiting for them.


 

Minjoo snickered upon hearing the family name, she doesn’t really like what will happen later. For sure, it’s about marriage again.


 

Both of them reached the hall, entering it and Minjoo immediately spotted Prince Hwang Hyunjin. He was sitting on one of the chairs but stood up when they entered the room, walking up to them and bowed, giving Minjoo a look but the latter— as usual, ignored it.


 

And the discussion began.


 

“I think it would be better if we marry Hyunjin and Minjoo the moment the war ends,” Minhoon said, and the other three adults nodded in agreement. Meanwhile, Minjoo just cursed under her breath, Hyunjin looked okay with it- of course, he does.


 

Minjoo was right, it’s about marriage again. As always. But she doesn’t like where this is going to be honest, she just wants to walk out and vanish into thin air than to marry Hyunjin.


 

She just kept mum, looking at the window instead, finding it more interesting than anything else that very moment.


 

“I agree. When Hyunjin gets back, they will marry after a week.” Yooseok said, nodding along and delighted with the idea.


 

Yes, Hyunjin will also join the war, after all— he needs to prove his worth as the future ruler of Beairterre. The prince is more than willing to fight for his future spouse and future land anyway. He’s also a well-trained knight for nothing.


 

Minjoo just clenched her fists, trying to hold herself together and just stayed silent until the end of discussion. She can’t believe that her parents wouldn’t even consider her happiness, they’re literally selling her away.


 

After that discussion and short dinner, the King ordered Hyunjin to her fiance to her own chamber and the prince happily obliged.


 

The walk there was quiet, Hyunjin also didn’t dare to speak because he noticed that Minjoo looked like she’s in despair and gloomy. And when they reached the chamber, Minjoo didn’t even bother to look at Hyunjin’s eyes directly and just bowed a bit before turning around, ready to enter her room when suddenly, the prince held her wrist, gently turning her around so she could face him.


 

Hyunjin doesn’t look angry or anything, but more like sad but determined. Minjoo’s kindness and gentleness must have probably rubbed off into him after years of being around her.


 

“Minjoo,” He started off, pressing his lips together. Minjoo finally looked at him at the eye, but there’s no sparkle or whatever— just a plain look. “I will leave tomorrow.” He said, and the princess just nodded. “Yes, I’m aware.” She answered.


 

Hyunjin took a deep breath. “And once I come back, we will finally marry— whether you like it or not.” He said, and Minjoo winced, just nodding slowly and didn’t give any verbal answers. “Please, at least try. Let me into your heart and give me a chance. I don’t want this to be one sided.” He pleaded softly, Minjoo’s heart moved but that’s just it, Hyunjin sounded pitiful. The princess pity him because— she knows well that her heart will never yearn for him but for this certain person only.


 

Minjoo bit her lower lip, gulping and didn’t do anything. Hyunjin sighed and shook his head, walking closer to occupy the gap between them and bent down, leaning in to press a kiss on Minjoo’s cheek. The princess was shocked but she remained calm. That was the first time Hyunjin kissed her besides at her hand, it really caught her very off-guard.


 

Hyunjin smiled as he took a step backward. “I will go now. Give me three months or so, and I’ll be back to you. I’ll also give you letters from time to time to update you about my condition. Please be safe, princess.” He said, and bowed, turning around and finally walking away with a grin on his lips.


 

But it didn’t last long. After he took three steps forward, he halted because he noticed a figure from nearby, looking at him sharply and his smile faltered. Hyunjin snorted before walking again, giving Yujin a smirk. “Hello there, over-protective guard. Bid your goodbye to Minjoo already, we’ll be off later at 3.” He said and finally disappeared.


 

Hyunjin failed to see the red glint on Yujin’s sharp orbs.


 

Minjoo gulped, feeling nervous all of a sudden upon thinking that Yujin witnessed that scene

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter