III: cyssan

white rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Your Highness! Wake up~”


 

Minjoo stifled a groan, and snuggled further into her warm and fuzzy blankets, ready to go back to sleep again after being disturbed by Yujin, but the latter doesn't want her to be back on her little dreamland.


 

The warrior grabbed the hem of the fluffy blanket and tugged it away from her, and with that, Minjoo's eyes shot open, her expression screamed annoyance. Her irritation just got more visible when she saw Yujin smirking at her, giving her a smug look as she draped her precious blanket around her shoulders.


 

“Early in the morning and you're already annoying me!” She hissed, kicking the young guard off her bed and threw a pillow at her direction which Yujin swiftly caught with her hand, not even flinching.


 

Yujin barked out a laugh and placed the pillow at the foot of the princess’ soft and feathery mattress. “Princess, it's your eighteenth birthday today and you're already grumpy! Princess Wonyoung and Lady Chaewon are already downstairs, waiting for your presence!” She said, shaking her head and just chuckled when Minjoo's eyes widened in realization.


 

“Oh my! I completely forgot about my birthday!” The princess of the Beairterre Kingdom exclaimed, sitting up on her bed. “Mother also said there would be an important guest later at the ball!” She said, hurrying over to fix herself.


 

Yujin shrugged, plopping down at Minjoo's bed, watching her Highness roam around her room while panicking. Of course, there would be a grand ball to be held at the palace as a celebration for Minjoo's eighteenth birthday which means, the princess is also an official adult now and Yujin needs to be more protective over her because of the potential and determined suitors— more like threats. She also needs to be more extra careful on her because she's officially the Crown-Princess of the lovely wide kingdom of Beairterre now.


 

“The ball will be held later in the evening, don't panic, Princess. Just wash up and let me you down, the two highnesses are patiently waiting for you downstairs.” She said, yawning and closed her eyes, embracing Minjoo's soft pillow.


 

She heard some shuffling and didn't mind it, Minjoo is probably just getting her stuff— she instead just took her little time to have a very short rest while she waits for the princess to get ready. Familiar scent of jasmine and vanilla entering her nose, it’s so pleasant, calming, and addicting that it almost made Yujin fall asleep within a few seconds. Minjoo’s scent is like a drug to her.


 

“Oh, yeah… By the way, young warrior.” Minjoo spoke and Yujin just hummed, a sign for her to continue as she's listening intently.


 

“You'll be there at the grand ball, yes?” Yujin's eyes slowly fluttered open, meeting with Minjoo's droopy ones.


 

“Of course! I'm your guard anyway, I need to be around you all the time.” She replied and puckered her lips a bit.


 

“Please be my too, that's possible, right? I'll ask Father about that. I don't want no prince beside me, I only want you.”


 

And Yujin's heart, again, skipped a beat.


 

“U-Uh, I’m not quite certain with that, princess. A lot of princes will definitely ask you for a dance!” The warrior stuttered and cleared , she was surprised at the sudden request and her heart couldn't take it because of how Minjoo said those words with her honey-ed voice.


 

“Well, I can refuse? I'm not interested in them anyway, I suppose I'll let them kiss my hand only but I do not want to dance or associate myself with them. As much as possible I only want you to dance me, and hold me through the night.” Minjoo responded again with a serious yet gentle tone making Yujin gulp.


 

The warrior took a deep breath and nodded in defeat, it’s not like she can disobey Minjoo’s orders. “If it's possible, why not? I'm more than willing to accompany you for the whole night, princess.” She replied, and Minjoo smiled, giving her a thumbs up. “You are really the best, warrior! Wait for me, I'll be quick, let's go down together.” She said, and ran to the bathroom, almost losing her balance because of hurriedness


 

When the door closed, Yujin exhaled and patted her chest. “Heart be still,”



 


 

“Minjoo! Happy birthday, my dear cousin!” Chaewon greeted and gave her cousin a tight hug, it's also been a while since they saw each other as she's busy with her family's business. Yujin silently stood there beside Minjoo, watching the exchange of interactions.


 

Wonyoung also gave Minjoo a hug after Chaewon. “Unnie~ happy born day! You're officially a crown-princess now!” She said, and handed her a gift.

 

The princess of Beairterre's eyes lit up. “Thank you both for these!” She said, showing up her presents that she got from the two. She’s ecstatic, excited to open it up later.


 

Chaewon laughed and crossed her arms. “By the way, Yongbok is around, he also got a present for you, my lovely cousin. Tch. Where is that oaf? Probably wandering around the hallways again, creepily admiring those unreal women from the paintings of Marquess Chaeyoung!” She exclaimed, shaking her head then looked around, trying her luck to spot her twin but unluckily for her, the guy was not around.


 

“Hehe, hi again Yujin!” Wonyoung suddenly greeted, blushing, as she shyly waved at the stoic guard beside Minjoo. Yujin gave her a small smile and a bow of respect and appreciation. “Hello there, your Highness Wonyoung.” And the princess of Christalline Kingdom blushes and lets out a squeak making Minjoo frown.


 

She knew that Wonyoung's been admiring her guard for years now. It all started when Yujin saved the younger princess in a small disaster four years ago and since then, Wonyoung is being shy and gushing over Yujin whenever they meet, and the guard looks like she's enjoying Wonyoung's actions around her. Minjoo won't admit it out loud, but she doesn't like it. Even a single bit. There's a bad churn on her stomach that she can't explain whenever Yujin smiles to other people or whenever Yujin's attention is not on hers solely.


 

“I'll go to my parents and greet them, I'll be quick.” Minjoo blankly announced with disinterest and annoyance lingering around her voice, then turned around making the three confused at the sudden action. Yujin piped in. “Let me you—” She was cutted off by the now fuming princess. “No! You stay here and entertain Wonyoung!” She hissed then walked away from them, a hidden venom lying underneath that tone that made Yujin shiver.


 

The three of them flinched at the yell because Princess Minjoo rarely raises her voice. Yujin blinked, scratching her head. “Uhm, did i do something that made her upset?” She asked worriedly and bit her lower lip. Wonyoung shrugged, concerned for her friend and her sudden outburst. “I think nothing. She's suddenly moody! It's her birthday, she should be happy all day because it's her day! I wonder why she's like that, yelling for unknown reasons…” She replied, and when her eyes darted on Yujin, and it instantly sparkled in adoration.


 

Chaewon silently observed her cousin's sudden change of mood and harsh action. “She only mentioned Wonyoung?” She whispered to herself, and sighed. A bright light suddenly appeared on her head then smirked when everything made sense now. She looked at Yujin and Wonyoung who were happily talking to each other then snorted.


 

“Heh,” She snickered. “Don't let the princess see you two being mushy around or you'll see an angry, jelly dragon.” She chuckled at the thought of it then shook her head, leaving the two talk while she went to find her silly twin.


 

“Yongbok will be delighted when he hears this. Oh, wonderful!”


 


 

It's already night and the grand ball for Minjoo's 18th birthday is about to start any minute now.


 

A lot of royalties and nobles came, with their shining and expensive gowns and suits, also accessories. Many influential families brought an heir and are trying their luck to court the wonderful princess, Minjoo.


 

Beairterre is a big Kingdom. They have the biggest natural resources in the whole continent, and also got the widest land of them all, that's why they are fighting about who's going to marry Minjoo because it's a huge win whoever marries the crown-princess. It's like hitting two birds with one stone. You got to rule a wide and wonderful Kingdom, you will also marry the most beautiful woman in the whole nation— but the Kims are smart and not easy to lure, so it'll be a challenge.


 

Minjoo sighed as a woman in her forty fixed her hair and put a small diamond crown over her head. She's still guilty over yelling at Yujin earlier. She can't even properly face her cousin and friend also, as she was so embarrassed about the reckless action she just showed in front of them. And Chaewon's teasing smile like she knew something that Minjoo doesn't know (or she actually knows but doesn't want to admit it) didn’t help her to feel at ease.


 

“The most beautiful maiden indeed! The deities' favorite, I agree! Oh, look how gorgeous you are, princess! I'm so overly amazed and jealous of your beauty, so endless, so magnificent! Such a goddess.” The hairdresser complimented and even gasped dreamily but Minjoo didn't react, she couldn't even smile. “Oh, dear princess! It's your day, what's with the long face.” She asked, now worried about the princess.


 

Minjoo shook her head and faked a smile. “May I go now? I wish to meet someone.” She excused herself and stood up, the woman was surprised but gushed over her again. “Of course, of course, delightful! You are going to meet your prince, right? Splendid! You may go, princess.” She cooed at the thought of Minjoo meeting her prince charming.


 

The princess scratched her head and just nodded, walking along the empty and silent hallway as she thinks.


 

“Yujin is not my prince charming though.” She whispered to herself then shrugged, almost jumping in shock when she heard a familiar husky voice from behind.


 

“I can be though, if you want.”


 

Minjoo placed her hand on her chest, very surprised at the sudden voice and appearance of chirpy Yujin then glared at her for almost making her trip and fall due to shock.


 

“Sorry if I surprised you, I was wandering around the hall and I saw you coming out from your chamber and decided to follow you,” The guard apologized, smirking. Weird, Minjoo didn't even hear her footsteps or sensed her! What a stealthy and scary warrior.


 

Minjoo's eyes went down to Yujin's outfit. As expected, the guard is not wearing a gown or dress but a black suit like for men, but she looks good on those than men who wear that. She looks so dashing. Like a prince. Even real princes will look small and common beside her because she looks so gorgeous and handsome with that fit. The black coat has gold embroidery around it, and it was buttoned, her hair is tied up, making her features show more sharply than ever. Breath-taking. She's the prince that Minjoo only wants.


 

“Anyway, I heard what you're mumbling about, princess. Didn't my Father tell you that I can be whatever you wanted? Sure, I'll be your prince charming then?” The young guard said, her smirk getting wider and wider as she took steps forward closer, towering over Minjoo.


 

The princess blushed and snickered. “Tch. Whatever, warrior!” And Yujin laughed with her priceless reaction. “The ball is going to start soon, milady. Her Majesty is searching for your presence already.” The guard said with a soft tone.

 

“Okay. I'm done with everything already. me, warrior.” Minjoo mumbled, playing with her glorious white gown. Yujin bowed gracefully like a prince. “Very well then, follow me,”





 

“My Minjoo, my dear looks so lovely! Those princes will surely have their jaw drop on the floor!” The King exclaimed as his eyes sparkled, embracing her beautiful daughter. Minjoo's heart melted at her Father's compliment. The Queen also walked over to her and gave her a light peck on the cheek, wearing a grand and huge white gown while the King partnered with his white royal suit and fur cape.


 

“Thank you, Father, I appreciate it.” She smiled and looked over the balcony, glancing at the guests scattered around below them with a wine glass on their hands and smirks on their lips.


 

The King nodded his head to the royal announcer and the man nodded, clearing his throat to gain every attention of the people present.


 

“Greetings, ladies and gentlemen! The grand ball is about to begin! Please, let's all welcome with a smile and applause, the crown-princess of the Beairterre Kingdom, Princess Kim Minjoo!” He shouted, pointing his hand over the balcony where Minjoo is and bowed.


 

The princess gave them a smile as she stayed still on the balcony with her parents beside her, she watched those strangers look at her with adoration in their eyes, some are with envy, lust, and some are just pure admiration, gently applauding her at her appearance. She gracefully bowed to the guests as a sign of gratitude before walking over to the throne.


 

She saw Yujin near the staircase with some royal guards and warriors, watching her with that sharp gaze, it made her gulp. Those hazelnut orbs are only glued at her, it's making dry. She doesn't know why. She sat on her throne while clearing then lifted her chin up like a confident and elegant princess that she is.


 

The soft and lovely music can be heard at the palace grounds, entertaining the guests. It's just starting and warming up, the dance will happen later after an hour, for now, the guests will make themselves busy by chatting or eating, socializing with other elites.


 

Minjoo again turned her gaze to Yujin, she could not help but to look in that direction. She instantly frowned when she saw the young guard talking with Wonyoung, they were smiling and obviously having fun chatting. There's the churn on her stomach again. It's seriously bad for her health.


 

To avoid herself from doing something impulsive and stupid, she averted her gaze and looked at the King who's happily smiling while watching the guests from the balcony.


 

“Father,” She called out to grab his attention, and the King turned to her with a smile. “Yes, my dear?” He asked, leaning closer.


 

“Who are those important visitors that you have been mentioning to me since last week? I'm curious as a cat.” She asked, making the King laugh. She just looked at her Father, confused. “Oh, Minjoo. Why are you so excited? Don't worry, honey, they will appear soon!” He answered with a meaningful smile and Minjoo doesn't like it.


 

“Uhm, Father. I have a request,” She shyly said and Minhoon nodded, gesturing for her to continue. “As much as possible, I do not want to dance as I'm uncomfortable with those strangers. Can I refuse their invitations? It won't be rude, right? It's my birthday anyway.” She uttered her request innocently.


 

Minhoon blinks and hesitantly nodded, sighing. He doesn't want to pressure his daughter on dancing with some princes, as much as possible, he wanted her comfortable in this ball so he agreed.


 

“Of course, sweetie. Whatever you like.” He complied with a defeated look but Minjoo was happy with it and even kissed him on the cheek so he let it pass. He will be criticized by the royal families and gain some nagging from them because of being overprotective but it's worth it, it's his daughter who requested, and who is he not to oblige? Especially on her day? He doesn't want a grumpy Minjoo for this night. So, he called his right hand, Hanseok and said about the request.


 

“Will do, sire.” He said and walked away to go to the announcer but the King specifically said to not announce it this time but for later. He doesn't want to dismay his guests very early.


 

“Minjoo, I have a favor though,” Minhoon whispered and Minjoo instantly responded. “What is it, Father?” She asked, her eyes still on the ground floor where the fun is happening.


 

“I want you to at least dance with one prince.”


 

Minjoo froze with that but immediately fixed herself and faked a smile but didn't say a word. Her eyes unknowingly darted on Yujin who's surprisingly also looking at her, Wonyoung is nowhere to be seen at her side anymore.


 

The young guard threw a sweet smile at her and waved when she saw her looking. Minjoo smiled back then waved back. Yujin can be counted as a prince, right?


 

Minjoo is confident that nothing bad will happen tonight.


 

Or she thought.




 

After an hour, the guests are starting to hype up. The princes are already fixing themselves on their best look, they can't look embarrassing if they would ask the crown-princess for a dance.


 

But then, their excitement went to a disappointment when the announcer said that Minjoo won't be accepting any dance from the princes for personal reasons and would only pick a prince that will catch her eyes.


 

The princes are determined to be that one, and even some got into heated arguments about who is deserving and more good-looking.


 

Minjoo's face fell, she didn't even say that but she kept mum, she also doesn't want to disappoint her parents.


 

“Oh, Minjoo, the important guests are waiting for us in the private room. Let's take our leave, we'll be back soon.” Queen Haejoo said and stood up, followed by the King. They were smiling big and looking fondly at Minjoo but the princess… She doesn't like the feeling of it, their smiles made her nervous for an unknown reason like a disaster will happen later.


 

She followed them and instantly, Yujin ran beside her. “Hey!” The young guard smirked and she just smiled. “Hey you, any idea who the visitors are?” And Yujin shook her head. “Nope! Not at all.” She replied truthfully.


 

Both of them followed the older guards and the rulers to the private room.


 

When they reached the place, Haejoo turned around and sighed a bit. “Yujin, stay here at the door with the other guards, okay?” She commanded, and the young warrior slowly nodded, confused while Minjoo rose her brow.


 

It's confusing, the Queen always allow her inside in this kind of situations, letting her stand beside the princess but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter