Chapter 4 [The Deduction]

The Unknown Killer | j.jk + k.th

Chapter 4
The Deduction (Development)

--- Jungkook's POV ---

It was already 3 pm. I am literally excited in solving this case. I logged off my account in Overwatch and turned off my laptop. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth then changed my shirt.

I went out of the dorm room and saw many guards on the dorm gate. I forgot, there's a heavy patrolling. This is like a lock down. I sighed then remembered the emergency ladder.

I went back to my dorm room and looked for the emergency ladder on my window. Sadly, it wasn't on my room. I went to Hongjoong's room and saw the emergency ladder there. Luckily, Hongjoong went out or else I'll be dead. He's been hiding his Beyoncè albums from us. I went out of the window and went down from the ladder.

I jumped down and stretched my back. That was tiring. "Woah, Kookie is a bad bad boy", exclaimed a familiar voice in my right. I looked at the voice's direction and saw Jimin, Yoongi, and Taehyung smoking together.

"Where are ya up to?", Yoongi asked with his eyebrows raising. "Somewhere", I replied lazily. I won't just tell them I'm going to investigate right?

"You seemed lost. Come on, I'll show you something", Taehyung said. He put his arms around me and led me on the back of the school.

"On the fourth floor, there's the laboratory, second room. We need to climb up from the windows to get there."

"How did you know that I'm going there?"

Taehyung smirked at me, "I saw you there a while ago didn't I? Plus, your friends Bambam and Yugyeom are known for meddling in crime investigations."

"How am I supposed to climb up the windows?"

"You body, duh", Taehyung replied then started climbing up the first window.

I sighed and went to follow him. Going up here is tiring. My muscles were aching as I made the last step to reach the classroom in the fourth floor.

I panted and stretched my body. "That's hard. I feel like dying"

"You should get used to doing these, you're on a gang dude!", Taehyung happily said and smacked my back. "That hurts!", Taehyung just chuckled.

I went out of the classroom and made my way to the laboratory. I looked to my back and found no Taehyung. Maybe he went back.

On the laboratory, the whole room was still a mess, just like before. What still bothers me was the window, with only small particles of glass shattered was on the floor.

"You're early. It's just 3:45", somebody from said. I looked back and saw Yugyeom. I smiled at him.

"The possible suspects were all in the other room in front of the laboratory. There's Lee Joong Gi, the last person that the victim talked to. Kim Namjoon, his academic nemesis. Byun Baekhyun, the victim's friend but had an arguement with him.", Yugyeom said.

"The victim was Kang Ha Neul. He's known for competing with Namjoon's intelligence. That makes Namjoon a potential suspect. Byun Baekhyun, is also his friend but they got in to a childish argument. Lee Joong Gi is Ha Neul's only closest friend but that doesn't mean he can't be the suspect.", Bambam continued when he entered the room with an investigator.

I bowed at the investigator and looked at her. She looks young and charming. She smiled at me and handed out some papers.

"What are these for?"

"The files. Oh! You're not Yugyeom. Fool me!", she punched her head then faced Yugyeom. "Here are the files Yuggy. It's incomplete though. Ha Neul wasn't killed by poison or strangle like how the other investigators deducted, they said, but they'll test more. Like what you said, he was poked with a sharp object at the back of his neck and has a cut on his neck which killed."

She faced me and held out her hand, "Sorry for mistaking you as Yugyeom. I'm Investigator Ji Eun. Your name please?"

"Jeon Jungkook"

"Cute name. Cute face. Detective wannabe. Just kidding! I need a favor, can you and Yugyeom question the potential suspects? I need Bambam to come with me in the fingerprinting section.", she asks with a aegyo. Weird.

I nodded and she grinned. "But, investigate more here. I have to talk to Yugyeom."

I did as she said, I looked around the room. I noticed something shining under the chair. I pushed the chair and saw something that the killer can use for killing. I grabbed my handkerchief and used it for picking this thing up.

I went to Investigator Ji Eun and Yugyeom. "Investigator, I found something." She faced me and smirked. "Great job, Jungkook. I need this for finger printing. Find a way to get the finger prints of the potential suspect, me and Bambam got a fingerprinting as mission."

Yugyeom and I nodded and went to the room in front of the laboratory. "Thank God! Somebody is here! I'm dying around sitting here! I'm no prisoner, friends!", a guy with a goofy smile said to us while bouncing on his seat.

Namjoon looked at the bouncing guy in disbelief. "Shut up Byun Baekhyun", he said. Ah, maybe this is why Namjoon said that we shouldn't hang out for the mean time.

"Good to see you Jungkook. May I ask why are we here?", Namjoon smiled showing his dimples. "We'll just ask you some question, if you don't mind?", Yugyeom replied making Namjoon nod at him.

"Better ask us fast, I'm rotting here!", Baekhyung said. The quiet guy beside Baekhyun may be Joong Gi. I went to Namjoon first then asked him, "What's your relationship with Ha Neul? Did you recently argued?"

"Ha Neul. He's a stranger to me. He's silently battling with me in terms of academics. We are just battling in academics.", Namjoon said.

"Did you went to your dorm right after it was announced that afternoon classes were cancelled?"

"Yes, but Yugyeom called me here. That's why I told you guys that we shouldn't be hanging out by now."

"Any alibi?"

"Well, Jackson was with me the whole time before Yugyeom called."

Yugyeom went to Baekhyun and asked him the same thing

"Ha Neul? That jerk! He used to be my friend! Well... Used! He keeps on breaking promises making me upset at him! He's annoying! I hate people who breaks promises!"

"Did you went-"

"Yes! Chanyeol told me to clean! That annoying brat! He didn't even come! That fact that none of my roommates came to help me is annoying! Thank God, I got an excuse because Bambam called me.", Baekhyun said while bouncing on his seat. He looks like a happily-go-lucky guy that would be friends with everyone, but that doesn't means that he's innocent.

"How about you Joong Gi?"

"Ha Neul is my friend. We have no arguement. He's a great friend. I went to my dorm. You can ask some tenants. But, my roommates haven't seen me since I didn't come out of living room. Wait, did the killer kill him?", Joong Gi said.

I looked at the three of them and came to my conclusion. I knew it! I connected the dots and came up with everything. It's him! For sure!

"I feel like a murderous criminal with all these question", Baekhyun said.

"It's because one of you is a criminal!", Investigator Ji Eun entered along with Bambam. "We got the killer's statement. We just need to wait for the fingerprint results."

"Make sure to be back here by seven, no one should be late. Understood?", Bambam said. All of them nodded, well with Baekhyun rolling his eyes at Bambam.

It was 6pm and my stomach was already growling. I stood up from my bed then suddenly a knock from my dorm room was heard. "Kookie, it's Taehyung, let's eat at the cafeteria."

Nice Timing. I thought. I went out of my dorm room and met Taehyung with a big smile. "Let's go. I hate how this Toothless-looking guy is looking at me, as well as his boyfriend."

"He's not my-!"

Seonghwa was cut by Taehyung pulling me out of our dorm. Taehyung is running fast and accidentally stumbled with a guard. We both smiled sheepishly and bowed to the guard before making our way to the cafeteria.

There are still less students around, maybe because it's still early for dinner. Taehyung ordered for the both of us while I sat on an empty table space.

I sighed thinking of the murdered student, Ha Neul. We got a bingo on the killer, but I am still doubting. Why would he kill the killer? All of the possible suspects have weird relationship with Ha Neul. But it makes me wonder, how can the killer kill Ha Neul? I actually do not believe that the killer is him. I also do not believe that he's the killer on loose. Like, what happened to the suspected killer before, Kim Yongsun. She was killed when they suspected her. Just how great is this killer?

"You seemed to be in deep thoughts, Kookie?", Taehyung suddenly said making me surprised by the sound of his voice. "No, actually." I lied. Yeah roght, as if Taehyung won't find out you're lying.

"I've known you since we were five Kookie, yet here you are trying to lie to me. What a great liar you are", Taehyung said with sarcasm while putting down our foods that he ordered.

"Yeah right. My mind's complicated now."

"Is it about the case?", Taehyung caught me off guard with what he said. I nodded.

"Do you think that the killer has a great motive in killing the victim?"

"I don't think so, Jungkook"

"Why?"

"

Because why would he kill a kind man like Ha Neul, that's a weird reason", Taehyung has a point. If -they say- that Ha Neul is one of the kindest man they'll ever meet, why would he be killed for being kind? Unless that killer is pretty evil.

"Here you are again with your deep thoughts", Taehyung said while munching on his chicken. I sighed and ate my food.

After eating Taehyung and I went to the laboratory since we all agreed to be there by seven. But, I want to investigate more since it's still 6:45, none of them is already here, maybe I could take a look around the area first.

Taehyung was looking at the pictures of Ha Neul's corpse. He smirked at the picture making me look at him. "What is it, hyung?"

"I just figured out he was killed with something sharp poking on his neck. But, look, something is wrong. The size of something sharp. It's probably-"

"Something like this?", I took out the thing on my pocket. Taehyung nodded at me. "Yeah, that's what they found lying around here. They had it finger tested."

"But, Jungkook, I feel like it isn't the only thing that the killer used. He didn't die with that thing like that."

I looked at him confused. "If that's poked on his neck, there's still a possibility that he can breath and fight back. He wasn't cut with something very sharp in the neck though."

Now that Taehyung mentioned it, yes. He wasn't really killed by that thing. How could he be? It isn't possible for him to be cut by this thing.

"He was long exposed to insecticides. Ha Neul is actually asthmatic, he often use inhalers, as I've seen on our Physical Education classes."

"But, how did you know?"

"Simple. I found his inhaler inside the weighing scale. There in the glass case where the scientific instruments are kept. It was well hidden. As I opened I smelled a strong scent of an insecticide, I looked for it and found this." Taehyung help up the inhaler he found.

"So that's why he died, but why was he stabbed by the back of his neck and cut in front?" If what Taehyung said is right then, the killer we identified before can really be the one who did it, or is just a droplet of the crime.

"Oh, we have a visitor." A familiar voice by the door said. I looked there and saw Yugyeom standing by the door frame.

"Come on Jungkook, we need to start the show. Come with us Taehyung if you want to.", Yugyeom said leaving the laboratory and entered the room in front of us.

"We forgot to tell him." Taehyung said. I shrugged and smiled at him. "Let's steal the show later then." And we made our way to the room before us.