University Series 06

University Series
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You guys ready for the game?"


Jeongyeon asked while he was packing his stuff for today's practice game. The guys are currently in their dorm getting ready. It was already 8 o'clock in the morning, they need to meet up at 9, since the game will be announced at 10.


Their seniors already informed them to not be a second late or else, punishments will be given. It is their first game being in the Seoul National University's (SNU) basketball team, the hailed champions. They don't want to mess it up.


"Totally." Dahyun answered, checking himself out in the mirror.


Meanwhile, Chaeyoung was just staring into space. He was finished in getting himself ready a while ago. Only his mind wasn't.


Jeongyeon didn't fail to notice the silence of the guy. He knows Chaeyoung can get paranoid sometimes knowing he doesn't see himself as a great player. He always looks down on himself. Not knowing the potential he has that Jeongyeon respects.


Jeongyeon took his last towel and shove it into his bag. He closed the zipper before sitting next to the cub.


"Hey."


"Yeah?" the cub turned to him giving him a questioned look.


"Worried?"


Chaeyoung took a gulp, nodding his head slowly. He looked down, avoiding the gaze of the older. His dimples were showing off. Jeongyeon smiled at the guy, patting his shoulder.


"You'll do great, smol. You always do."


"Truth. You even do gooderer than me."


Dahyun joined in, sitting on the other side of Chaeyoung while putting his arm on Chae's shoulder.


"There's no word like gooderer, dubu." Jeongyeon chuckled.


"Of course there is! I invented it. Just for Chae!" he grinned.


"You should be honored bro."


"Right. Of course." Chaeyoung laughed.


Successfully making the cub forget his worry, the two guys high five themselves behind Chaeyoung.


"Geez, stop boasting off your dimples." Jeongyeon hissed nudging his shoulder.


"I'm not!"


"Yeah, you totally are." they chuckled.


Dahyun stood up and faced the two of them. He gripped his hand in the air and had a confident look on his face.


"Let's go and play some balls." he smirked.


"Pfft."


Jeongyeon stopped himself from bursting his laughter. Chaeyoung seemed unbothered. Both him and Chae stood up, grabbing their bags. The three gave their signature fist bumps to themselves. Boosting their ego.


"Let's go!" Chae exclaimed and went ahead.


"You know what you said sounded weird, right?" Jeongyeon stated.


"Yup. Totally." Dahyun forced a smile.


"Never gonna say it again."
















CHAEYOUNG'S POV

We arrived at Yonsei University, 30 mins before the game. The meet up earlier went well, no one was late. That gave our Captain a good mood. And yes, today we will be playing with Yonsei's players.


They took the fifth place of last year's top 5 in championship tournament as said by our seniors. Yet our Captain wants us, the first years, to take them down.


I could only swallow at the thought. I've been playing basketball since high school after I met Jeongyeon hyung. In every game, I always get cold feet. I'm afraid I might mess this up, even though this is just practice.


"I'll be critiquing your performance in this. Your spot lies in your skills. So you better not take this easy." Jesse-hyung emphasized.


Okay, this is not just practice.


"Aigoo, the SNU's Captain is still stern as always."


A deep yet hoarse voice interrupted us in our briefing. We turned to see two guys that looked like they were waiting for us. They were standing near the gates. They had white shirts on, paired with jersey shorts.


They are players.


The voice came from the huge guy who started walking towards us. He was bigger than any of us in the team. I bet he is a center. This guy looks dangerous.


The other one just followed suit. He looked timid and pale, opposite to this guy here who was now shaking Jesse-hyung's hand.


"Shindong."


"Jesse."


Now they are just saying each other's name. Both had a sly smile and their eyes were challenging each other. They are so basketball maniacs, you can tell by how excited the faces were. Ready to devour.


"I miss you man!"


What?


Our captain laughed as they engulfed each other with a hug, patting their backs. We, first years looked at each other confused. While our Sunbae's just laughed at our faces.


"Damn, and I thought they were some wild animals." Donghyuk gasped.


"Their aura was getting into me!" Yunhyeong even shivered.


We chuckled.


"Boys. This is Yonsei's Captain Shin Dong Hee, and their Vice captain Cho Kyuhyun." Jesse-hyung introduced.


All of us bowed and greeted them. They started showing us the way to their court so that we could get the game started.









"You okay there, smol?"


I was playing with my phone to calm me up when I heard hyung. I looked up to him to see him on his uniform.


"I'm okay, I guess." I replied.


He then sat next to me. I was about to take my phone away when it buzzed. I opened it and was surprised to see a message.


New message
Myoui Mina : Good luck on your game chae!


I blinked my eyes to see if what I saw was real. A girl just cheered for me. Not just any girl. Minari is like an angel. She is so elegant. She must be the definition of divine.


I turned off my phone and held my head. My elbows were resting on my knees. I was holding my breath. Holy mother of strawberries. I realized. She is much more dangerous than Shindong sunbaenim.


I can't believe she remembered what I said. I told her about our game today when we were in class. Thank you, Minari. That helped.


"Woah, bud. What's wrong?"


I almost forgot Jeongyeon-hyung is next to me. I must've looked stressed out right now.


"Nothing." I chuckled nervously.


"Relax buddy."


I nodded my head. Dahyun suddenly came running to us while holding his phone. He was bit red. I don't know if it was from running or there was another reason.


"G-uys."


"What happened to you?" I asked.


"S-S-Sana just.." he stuttered looking at his phone as if a ghost might appear anytime.


"Sana what?"


Jeongyeon-hyung pestered getting a little impatient and so was I. He then opened his phone and show it to us.


"She sent me a picture of her, saying that she's cheering for me."


"That's it?" Jeongyeon-hyung arched his brow.


Dahyun nodded his head fast. Me and Hyung started laughing. Dahyun can be really innocent to this stuff. He had the most adorable reaction. I guess its his first time, getting a girl to send him that.


Sana was definitely beautiful at that picture. It must've caught him off guard. Looking at how red he is.


"Yahh." he whined.


"Gather around team!"


Before we could we heard the Captain. We immediately jog towards the circle. This time, he will announce to us who will be playing at the first half.


We only have 2 sets in this game since it's a practice, 15 minutes each.


"Alright, I'll assign the members of the first half first. I'll announce the next set after the first game." Jesse-hyung eyed us.


There are only first years in the huddle. Our seniors were doing hoops as they warm up with the Yonsei players.


"Point guard, Yoo Jeongyeon. Shooting guard, Son Chaeyoung.."


What?!


I looked at Jeongyeon-hyung who was giving me a smile of assurance. Why am I responsible for 3 pointers? Oh boy. I think I'm gonna be sick.


"Small forward, Jinhwan. Power forward, Yunhyeong and Junhoe, you'll be the center." they all nodded except for me.


I had my head down, biting my lip hard. I don't know my eyes just started wandering around the floor as if I was looking for something.


"I want you to do your best. But don't strain yourself. Be cool and have fun. Arraseo?"


"Dae!"


Why.. why would Jesse-hyung assign me to that post? Did he know?


I ruffled my hair in frustration, pouting.


"Aigoo, that's not bad Chae." Dahyun went to me giving me a pat.


Jeongyeon-hyun joined in to cheer me up. Eun-woo was even giving me his fighting stance. Eun-woo is the best in 3 pointers among us first years. He should be in this position, not me.


"Why am I always given that position." I sulked.









"Wait, don't tell me you're letting your first years do the game." Shindong sunbaenim pointed out to our Captain.


We were on position to start the game when he realized all of us are new faces. His tone seemed offended by what our Captain have decide.


Jesse-hyung just gave a nod. He was crossing his arms like a coach would do. He was so composed. Taeyeon-hyung on his side was waving at us mouthing us a good luck.


My hands started sweating. Damn, it shouldn't.


"You're not looking down on us aren't you, Jesse?"


"Of course not. Please, take time and crush my boys." Captain smirked.


"Oh, we will. And I'll make sure you would want to play this game yourself."


Ah, Capt why did you have to lit his fire. Yonsei's Captain turned to us, smiling, before giving the signal to start the game.


"Tip-off!"


Our team made noise the moment Junhoe successfully stole the ball from Shinbong sunbaenim. He looked outsmarted.


Junhoe then pass the ball to Hyung. Point guard, he had always slay that position. His passes were perfect, he lead us smoothly, giving us the best route we could get towards the ring.


I, on the other hand, was still running around the court, defending. I haven't have the guts to shoot. Each time I had the ball in me, my instinct kicks in, I was panicking that I always pass the ball away.


"Damn it." I cursed. Get your head in the game Son Chaeyoung!


"Chae!"


My eyes landed to Hyung as I panted, he called for me and gave me his perfect pass.


. It fit perfectly into my hands. Unknowingly, I was already doing a shooting stance and my eyes are glued to the ring.

End POV




JESSE'S POV

I crunched my brows as I saw Chaeyoung's poor performance. He chickens out. All the other players on his team are doing their best and yet he's only getting in their way.


"I'm sure Jeongyeon knows what he did Jesse. Just give it time." Taeyeon gave me a light punch on the shoulder.


He must've noticed my frown. I was not enjoying this scene before me. Our team was 8 points behind. I could feel Shindong's evil laugh at the back of my mind.


I sighed as I remembered Jeongyeon's words earlier. He approached me before the huddle saying he wanted a favor.


"Capt. Please give Chaeyoung the shooting guard position."


"No." I already had my mind set. Chaeyoung should be a small forward. My senses were telling me.


"Capt. Please give this a chance." he bowed with a 90 degrees.


Taeyeon looked at me signalling me to lend the boy an ear.



"Chae!" I heard Jeongyeon called for him before passing him the ball.


"Wow." Taeyeon muttered beside me.


My head held up and I felt my lips tugged up on its own.


"That's one beautiful form." I found myself uttering those words without my consent.


"Why do you think he deserves that spot?"


I examined those fingers that held the ball firmly. Why didn't I spare a time to see those beauty. The moment he released the ball from his touch, his fingers made a flawless formation.


"Once Chaeyoung shoots the ball. He never misses."


I chuckled to myself.


He made a 3-pointer in a half court.


"Holy ." Yuri gasped. He was hugging Hyoyeon tight. Both were practically nervous about that shot.


"We have a Stephen Curry in our team!" Sooyoung shouted.


"Idiot." I chuckled.


We caught up in no time, thanks to Chaeyoung's 3 point shots. He seemed stable now. He looks like he's having fun.


Half Time


"Great job withstanding them." I complimented.


"Their first game, and Jesse already gave them a 'great job' " Onew cried out, wiping his invisible tears.


I just shook my head. They did do great, better than I imagined. They were up against a powerhouse after all. But I know they won't last. Looking at their state right now, they were running out of breath.


Big sweats were forming from their foreheads, and their jersey were soaking wet. I told them not to strain themselves. These kids..


"They'll get serious this time." I warned to the next batch that'll fight them.


"They will wore you out even more than they did to Junhoe's team." they nodded their head drastically.


"Alright. Jeongyeon think you can still handle the second half?" he nodded his head, drinking onto his tumbler.


"Yes capt."


"Good. Shooting guard, Eun-woo you're up.. Chaeyoung." I grabbed the guy's attention who was fidgeting in his seat.


"C-captain?"


"Your shots were faultless." He widened his eyes before bowing his head to me.


"T-tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter