Chapter 9

Garden of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook surveyed the area known as the Shaggy Crossroads. It was where the Carnivorists attacked him at the start of the week. He wondered what happened to the two he had shot. Huddled close to a hut, a group of Carnivorists skinned their prey. He never considered their actions infuriating, but after understanding Dahyun’s plight, Jungkook developed antipathy towards the passionate meat-eaters.

            He passed their group, earning a curious snigger from them. It was difficult to remember that they were still human, and spoke the same language. A stall caught his attention. An old man sat behind the marquee, and used a book to himself. His wrinkles sank into his surly skin. Tired eyes blinked beneath the shadows of his straw hat.

            “Care to buy a book, young ‘un?” he said, as Jungkook sauntered to him.

Jungkook skimmed over the titles. They were old books, and in astonishing good condition. Some did missed the odd page, but overall, the old man presented a worthy collection. One book stimulated him. He took it, and peered through the artwork among the pages. He had a copy back in his home.

            “Ah, that’s the Book of Animals, by Professor Eunwoo Cha,” said the old vendor. He sat upright now that he had found a potential customer.

            Jungkook stopped next to a page about giraffes. His memory of Dahyun confounded him. A warmth spread across his chest, gentle and invigorating. “I’ll take this.”

            The old man scratched his crusty ear. He chewed on a stalk of old grass. “Sonny, that one’s a bit expensive.”

Jungkook slapped a ruby on the stall, and the poor vendor’s eyes popped in their sockets. He picked the ruby, holding it towards the light.

            “By golly! That’s real,” he said, his breath coiled and seized by shock.

“Keep the change.” Jungkook took the book, and continued his journey. Before his next mission, he decided to wait for a buggy. A yellow one on top of that. He had a plan of Taehyung’s daily routine, and he was certain that he would be on his way to help Dahyun with the laundry. Jungkook waited by the Shaggy Crossroads, and it was not long before the buggy’s engine roared in the distance.

            He raised a hand to draw Taehyung’s attention, who stared at him like a startled mouse. The buggy came to a halt.

            He flicked his blue hair, eyebrows furrowed and his lips curled into a disapproving frown. “Awh man, you’re still here! Dahyun didn’t find you yesterday. What gives? Why’d you just hide yourself like a sad turnip?”

            “I had to leave,” said Jungkook. “Umh…” He rubbed the back of his neck, attempting to formulate his thoughts into words.

“What is it? Hop on, I’m about to see Dahyun,” said Taehyung. “You’re a sneaky little beansprout for ditching her, but sure, friends forgive one another. Hop on, I said.”

            Taehyung’s message stunned his rational side. As the sunlight simmered upon them, creating a shimmering heatwave, and the children complained about their unfair game of Mockney, and the Carnivorists began barbequing their meat over a pit of fire, Jungkook appreciated the smallest things in life. Friends. Did he even have any of those?

            “You think I’m a friend? It’s only been two days.”

Taehyung gaped at him as if he was absurd and uttered fatuous claims. “What? You think friendship happens by the amount of time we spent together? Yikes, you’re worse than a bruised eggplant that’s been left out in the sun for too long. Mushy. That’s what you are.”

            “I can’t come.” Jungkook gave him the book. “I was meant to give this to Dahyun. If you consider me a friend, I’ve a request for you.”

            “Eh? What’s this got to do with anything?” Taehyung placed the book aside. His fingers drummed over the steering wheel. “Just tell me what it is, and give this to her yourself.”

“I can’t,” said Jungkook. He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. “It’s complicated.”

            They heard the children cheer behind them. A winning team emerged from their game, and the losers hunkered to contemplate their loss. “You don’t have to explain. I get it, sorta, but not really. Umh…so, what’s the deal then?”

            “Do you know how to get to the Forbidden Market?”

Taehyung grimaced, his mouth revealing his full set of teeth. “I’m not going to ask you why you want to go there. I’m sure it’s classified information. I’m not gonna turn you into a pickle and squeeze it outta you. Hop on, I’ll take you there.”

The buggy jittered and roared as Taehyung pressed the accelerator. Jungkook surveyed the houses they passed. The yellow, broken walls. The rusted metal doors, often dented with bullet scars. Rubbish scattered along the broken, dusty roads. Betel leaf liquid stained the paths, rusty in colour and pungent in scent. It came as no surprise that many people called Gidem a country. The metropolis stretched across acres of land, and consisted of so many different places. It was as if someone amalgamated almost ten different cities together, and called it a metropolis.

“Rotten cabbages. It smells like them,” said Taehyung. He emitted a low chuckle. “I used to live here when I young. My pa is good friends with Dahyun’s pa. But then pa got moved to Part Four.” He paused. “Are you listening?”

Jungkook crossed his hands across his chest. “Hmph.”

“How old are you anyways? Dahyun thinks you’re twenty-two years. Then you’d be the same age as me,” Taehyung continued.

            “Does that even matter?” Jungkook counted the number of cacti he passed. So far, there were twenty.

            “I’m just curious. I know a lot of boys become mercenaries quite young. Actually, pa wanted me to consider it for a while, but you know, I’m a pacifist by nature.”       

            Jungkook refrained a laugh. “Really?”

“You know, I didn’t like you at first,” said his companion, his smile a boxy grin. “I thought you were a lummox-brained carrot. You smelled worse than the cabbages I have to dig up back home. Oh, and you were a lying mercenary.”     

            The buggy steered up higher ground. He recognised the wide road that led to Victoria’s sanctuary and the royal palace. It stood at the pinnacle of Mananaman, the highest hill in Part Five. “I thought you were an idiot.”

“What?” Taehyung grunted an incoherent sound. “I’m sure that was a joke, right?” He flicked his hair, his left eye twitched while he waited for Jungkook’s answer. Then he mumbled as he jaunted to the other end of Mananaman. Lonely cacti sprouted among the sandy roads. Jungkook decided to let him wait.

            He realised that Dahyun and Taehyung were like two sides of the same coin. Dahyun burst with life and energy, and then there was Taehyung, who brought a ray of sunshine.  If her essence became the blue skies and the rapturous golden sun, then he was the earth that kept her grounded. Jungkook was suddenly envious of their everlasting bond; Taehyung appeared when she needed him. In either situation, their exhaustive desire for needless banter rankled him.

            “You like Dahyun, don’t you?” asked Jungkook.

Taehyung choked. The buggy lost track for a second but he quickly gained control again. He coughed, banging a fist against his chest. “Hey, don’t be such a nosy little bean. There are some borders that you just don’t cross, okay?” He shot Jungkook what ought to have been a menacing and scornful glare, but in reality, he resembled a nonplussed victim of his own heart.

            The buggy came to a halt next to erect huts made out of stone. Many people wore hoods or balaclavas to hide their faces. They moved with stealth, frequently noting any movements over their shoulders. It was quiet and sombre, unlike the rest of Part Five. There was a large hut where several armed men stood watch. Perspiration beaded their solemn faces, but they did not move an inch or react to anything. They guarded the double metal doors. Beyond the large hut, the Great Wall crumbled away to reveal the yellow dunes. Heat glistened in the horizon, creating a fuliginous sheen over the sand.

            “See those guys that look like sturdy potatoes? You’ll find the Forbidden Market there. It’ll cost you though.”

            “Thanks.” Jungkook jumped out of the buggy. He stretched the muscles on his legs and then his arms. His muscles cracked with relief. Before he walked off, Taehyung grabbed his elbo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter