Chapter 11

Garden of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lights clicked on when he entered his one-bed apartment. His Gangnam house was situated in a guarded facility called Wonder Heights. To Jungkook’s luck, no one asked about Tzuyu at the security. The security guards were too tired or else spent their free time playing a game of cards. The couch still had the blanket he did not fold before he left for his scan. The Messenger machine, which was important for him to communicate with his contractors, beeped with a red light, which indicated an unread message.

            The kitchen was a small area and untouched. There were a set of notes on his fridge, his reminders. The less objects, the better. Jungkook hated storing unnecessary things inside his abode.

            “You can take the bed,” he advised Tzuyu. Her clothes were dirty, and with a blush, he realised he should share his garments with her. She was a tall young woman, so she would fit into anything.

            “You’re still hurt,” she said.

“I’ve some medic patches I can use.” He opened the door to his room. A white armoire stood in the corner, right next to the window. His desk remained untouched, notes sticking to the edge, and a stack of books hovered on the shelf over it.

            Jungkook pulled the armoire’s doors and searched through the meticulous piles of clothes. Each shirt was paired with its trousers. He took a loose t-shirt and some wide, cotton trousers. “Uh…You can use these.”

            Tzuyu took the clothes. “I don’t mind taking the couch.”

“No, it’s fine. If you want to shower, the bath’s that way.” He pointed at the bathroom outside the bedroom. It would be week since he had a proper bath that did not consist of a dingy storage room and a tub of hot water. “I’m gonna heal up first.”

            “Jungkook,” she said, holding his arm. “Thank you. I’m very grateful.”

He was not entirely sure why he was helping her. She told him they were amicable friends in the past, until his supposed disappearance. He was trapped in an enigma, and the the more he delved into his past, the more cloudy it became. He felt no connection with Tzuyu, but he sensed that she desired his approval. However, keeping her in his home would lead to a commotion with the Gumiho agents. And leave his bank empty.

            “We need to think of a plan to get you back. Where’s your closest base?”

She hesitated, gripping the garments close to her heart, and chewing her bottom lip.

            Jungkook sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “I suppose I shouldn’t ask you. Anyways, once you’re ready, we’ll make a plan.”

            Before she responded, he left the room and closed the door behind him. He strolled to the Messenger in the kitchen. It was a rectangular machine with a hollow area in the middle. He switched on the kettle and listened to its therapeutic pulses. With another sigh, Jungkook initiated the Messenger.

            A yellow-hued hologram formed in the middle of the machine. Tayeong’s cunning face loomed into view. He appeared to be writing into a manual. He brushed back his dark, violet hair, thick eyebrows knitted together in deep contemplation.

“Ah, Jungkook, I’m not sure if you’ve made it back to the President’s District yet. Seokjin has reported to me that you’ve found the Ancient. I must admit that I’m rather impressed, I did not think you would find him so easily. In any case, you are a brilliant asset for us. Before we do that, I’d like for you to come for another scan. Your headaches might still be recurrent so this time, I will pass a healing laser through the scan to alleviate any symptoms. It will be a rather interesting approach to see if it’ll help you find your memories.” Taeyong scratched something into his manual again, tapping the quill against his chin. “Oh, there is also something that I’d like to request off you. I know this is possibly the fifth time I require your services, but this mission is of utmost importance.”

            He grinned slyly, eyes curved into half-moons. “Of course, you will be rewarded with more rubies if you take up on my offer. Let me know when you are ready.”

            The Messenger beeped and Taeyong’s face effervesced into yellow static. Jungkook poured some hot water into a glass. He opened his cupboards, and its empty compartments perturbed him. He would need to take a trip to the supermarket so that Tzuyu would have enough to eat for a day.

            It surprised him, the lengths he was willing to go for a stranger. But something urged him inside, a tiny voice that was too familiar and very foreign all at once.

He took his tub of infused herbs and sprinkled it into the hot drink. Then he the Messenger and sent Taeyong a facemail, enquiring about his next mission, and inviting himself to Taeyong’s lab the next morning.

            Before bed, Jungkook took a hot shower to wash away the dirt from the Old City, and clean up his wounds. He left a medic patch on his throbbing shoulder, changed into some comfortable pyjamas and slumped onto his couch. His muscles ached and he curled himself into a foetal position, head resting on the uncomfortable armrest. He hauled the blanket over him. But he tossed and turned for a long time, unable to sleep, and with a growing anger towards Tzuyu for taking his bed.

            Just then, he heard the door open. Tzuyu stepped out, hugging a pillow to her chest. He inhaled sharply as he regarded her wearing his clothes. Her wet hair was pulled back into a braid, and the scent of his orange showercream wafted off her. He frowned, unhappy about her invading his space and using his things.

            “I can’t sleep,” she said. “And I heard you moving…May I?”

Jungkook sat up and nodded. Tzuyu plonked on the rug beside his couch. She fixed the pillow on her lap, patting it now and then.

            “It’s been such a hectic day,” she said. “And I’m sorry I never told you who I really was.”

“Hmph.” He leaned his elbow against the armrest, his palm pressed into his cheek.

            “You know, I feel so happy to see you again.” Even in the darkness, he imagined her smile. She had a peculiar smile, her eyebrows titled back and it was indicative of sadness, no matter her sentiments. “You can’t remember it, but having you in my life really made me so happy. I feel so grateful, and so fortunate that we crossed paths again.”

            “Yeah,” he added. He shifted awkwardly, unsure of what to say.

“I’ll do my best to help you remember your past, Jungkook. That’s my promise to you for saving my life today.” Tzuyu chuckled and embraced her pillow again. “You know, you’re wasting your time if you take up missions for Santa Maria. You should…join Thunderstorm.”

            He snorted at that. “Why’d I do that?” Jungkook lied back down, and stared at the ceiling. His frustration bubbled to the surface. “How much would they pay me?”

            “Well, it’s not about the money. We’re just tired of President Sooman and his tyranny. His family has been ruling for a century now. What happened to us as a democratic nation? We deserve a democratic system. ”

            “Hmph.” His eyes began to droop, and he yawned.

When he woke up aga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter