Chapter 6

Garden of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun met Taehyung below Taeyeon’s laundry house. He rubbed his azure-coloured hair with a sleepy disposition. She was glad he came to join them in the morning. Jay mocked something that was dear to her. The Garden of Eden was a sacred place, despite myth or reality. It was too holy for anyone living in their world. But it did provide the desolate people in the Slums a glimmer of hope.

            He had no right to deride her vision. The Garden was more to her than every atom of her being. Mockery or not, she managed to catch the lie in his words. He was a mercenary after all. Jay followed wordlessly, not reacting when Taeyeon kissed his cheek.

            Below the railed steps, Taehyung glanced at his company, and he sulked.

“Why’re you bringing him along?” He gestured at the mercenary. “We could’ve just finished all the chores by ourselves.”

            “Come on, Taehyung. He’s a guest at my place. Just let him tag along for today.”

Her friend was not convinced. He reached for the spiked wooden bat strapped to his waist, but he regained composure. “Right. Quickly. I left my buggy in the side street.”

            Dahyun avoided speaking with Jay. He followed aimlessly, occasionally observing the dirty streets with his haughty glowers, and sometimes staring at the floor, hands in the pockets of his trousers. Her father’s clothes fit him impeccably. But her father always knew what to do, even when he was not around. They retraced their steps out of the alley, where Taehyung’s yellow buggy was parked clumsily on the street.

            Two teenage boys sat inside, trying to switch it on.

Dahyun gasped. “Taehyung, look!”

Taehyung yelled vehemently as he pelted for them, waving his bat like a menace. The boys immediately scampered off. One fell and bruised his knee but his friend came back to haul him to his feet. Taehyung started the engine.

“Hurry up, you two. We’re gonna head to the food markets,” he urged.

Dahyun sat next to him, while Jay knelt in the back. He pushed back the dark hair that feel into his eyes with futility. She left him to mope without a word. Taehyung picked up speed and they crossed a muddy street. An awful stench infiltrated her nose.

            “Guess one of the sewers was opened here,” said Taehyung, pinching his nose. “Man, I’m gonna throw up.”

            “Think of happy things,” Dahyun replied, her voice blocked by the air in nose. “Like you know, cute bunnies and purring cats.”

“And their poop,” Taehyung added with a groan.

            They happily greeted the markets when they left the muddy street. Taehyung was not happy about the tyres. He would have to take a round to the wells to collect water and wash his bemired buggy. The markets in Part Five were one of the only places guarded by the police. They stood tall and walked with swords in their hands or small pistols attached to their wrists. They wore black silk capes over their navy uniform, with a tiger’s face stitched in white. The logo of the President.

            Taehyung left his yellow buggy in the parking lot. A policeman gave him a ticket and Dahyun split the parking bill with him with a few silver coins. She took a basket and handed one to Jay. He stared at the weaved basket as it contained some disease. She pushed it into his arms without another word, and followed Taehyung to the market stalls. It bustled with life, and many vendor haggled with the customers that came to review their goods.

            “What’s up with him?” Taehyung asked, his voice barely a whisper. “He’s acting like some unwanted plate of stinky broccoli.”

“To be honest, I think that’s just his nature.” Dahyun glanced back at the tall mercenary. He inspected the basket as if it was the first time he ever held one. His actions would have made her laugh had he not soured her mood earlier. “Right, I’m gonna head for the leafy vegetables. You wanna come?”

            “Ma wants me to pick up some beans first. I’ll join you in a second. Do you want any beans?”

            “I’m good, thanks. Okay, I’ll be a while. We’ll catch up soon,” she said, and their fists connected. She turned to Jay, who still looked lost and clueless. “Come on, this way.” She thought he would utter a snide remark or retaliate, but he followed her without a word.

Many stalls had food, but there were some that sold appliances and homeware goods. To Dahyun’s dismay, there were meat stalls for Carnivorists. Her stomach flipped at the sight of hanging dog limbs and rabbit corpses. Her vision blurred with tears. The stench of blood hovered around the awful stalls. Bile rose up , and she hurried to the vegetable sections.

            She glanced at the different stands. Some farmers had better vegetables than others, but their prices varied. The best vegetables were more expensive. Dahyun examined different lettuces. There was a famous pink lettuce called Sunrise Lettuce, and it had a sweet flavour that went well in soups. She grabbed a couple of those and paid, before dropping them into Jay’s basket.

            She bought a few others, some broccoli, spicy cauliflower which was one of the most expensive vegetables around (and her father’s favourite one too so she did not mind spending money on that), and some spinach. Jay ended up holding both of the baskets without a complaint.

            “Is there anything that you want?”

He glanced at her, like a startled deer. Dark eyes, big and round with lashes like a girl’s. She realised that despite his attempt to appear intimidating and despite his muscles, he was very much a child desperately trying to transition in an adult. For a moment, Dahyun wanted to ask him about his past, because he appeared to be a child donning a man’s clothes, but she remembered what he said about her beliefs, and her mood took a plunge below again.

            “Are you asking me?” he said.

“Then who do you think I’d ask?” Guilt constricted her veins and she stared at her sandals. Her toes were covered in soot and required a wash. “You’re still a guest at our place, and daddy’s patient. Feel free to take anything you’d like.”

            “Hmph.”

She continued down the crowded stalls, until he called her name. Dahyun flinched and stared at him. She realised it was the first time he called her by her name.

            “Umh…” He avoided eye-contact. “I’d like some eggplants. I’ve a pouch of money that’s probably back in your house. I’ll pay you back.”

            She grinned, but instantly frowned again. Dahyun made a pact with herself to not grace him with her maternal side. He deserved silence for his personal attack. “You should have said so earlier. It’s not that hard, right?”

            She bought some eggplants for him and reunited with Taehyung, who counted the different types of beans in his basket. “Right, Taehyung, you wouldn’t mind dropping us off at the animal sanctuary? You’re not busy today, are you?”

            “No, I’ve got time to kill,” said her friend. His grin was so warm and welcoming, like fire and sunshine. “Right, let’s head there. I really want to see Moomy and how she’s doing.”

            “You should consider adopting Moomy, don’t you think?” She sidled next to him as they walked back to the parking area. “I think Moomy’s pretty fond of you too.”

Taehyung rubbed his chin. “Yes, yes, it’s a good idea. But it doesn’t help when I’ve got stupid Carnivorists in my area,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter