Chapter 3

Garden of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook gazed around him. A face blurred into view in the small, musty room.

"Ah, well if it isn't sleeping beauty," said a man.

He had soft, charming features and a face that would turn heads on the street. Beside him was one of the most beautiful women Jungkook had ever seen. The sunlight filtered off her pearl-white skin and contrasted with her thick dark hair. The couple wore white suits, a dress for the woman, and trousers for the man. A red cape hung off their right shoulders.

Jungkook rubbed his head. His headache was no more, but he still sensed the dull aftermath, like a distant memory that awaited discovery.

"You were out for nearly three days." The man sauntered to the edge of the bed, and lifted Jungkook's axe. "Wow, is this an axe-gun?"

Jungkook reacted on instinct. In a flash, he pelted for the man. Before he caught his weapon, the man twisted and wrapped an arm around his neck, slamming him to the ground. Wood met his cheek.

"Seokjin!" The woman pulled him back with strength that belied her petite frame."This isn't the time to be playing around. Taeyong recruited him, and he's worth a lot of money."

"Yeah, so I heard." Seokjin rubbed his neck. "Sorry there, man. Here." He held a hand, but Jungkook slapped it aside.

"Whatever," he muttered. He rubbed his sore cheek and decided to get to business. "Where am I? Where's Taeyong?"

Seokjin chuckled. "One question at a time, man. Taeyong mentioned Operation Hide and Seek to you, is that right?"

The woman stepped forward. "I am Irene, and this is my companion Seokjin. We are part of the Gumiho agents. Taeyong hired you to help us find the Ancient."

"You've got that correct." When Jungkook reached for his axe and sword, he noticed the Gumihos turn rigid. Seokjin's hand hovered over the sword by his waist and Irene grasped the whip attached to her hip brace. "He left me with you lot?"

"We apologise about the uncomfortable situation," said Irene. "But know that this mission is urgent. Currently, we are in Part Five of the Old City. Your part of the mission is to help us look for clues, while disguised as a Thunderstorm insurgent."

Seokjin smirked. "That oughta be fun, don't ya think? Us, we're to do the interrogation. It's like hitting two birds with one stone."

Jungkook walked to the little window. He pulled back the blinds. He was met with the steel skies of the Old City. The curving roads and floating vehicles were no more. The skyscrapers and glass walls vanished. In its stead were broken buildings and metal scraps that rusted around him. He thought the Miner's District was dirty. But rubbish sprawled across the streets of Part Five, heaps upon heaps of it. Muddy sewers left the roads bemired. People wore simple clothes, no luxurious weapons or gold-plated armour. The agents were telling the truth about his whereabouts.

"We rented this flat for you as part of the Operation Hide and Seek."

That explained the room. It contained a sink on the side, and next to the little bed was the toilet which consisted of a little hole. A cockroach roamed the walls.

"It's hella shabby," said Seokjin. "But you have to bear with it for a few days. As for food, we've got someone that will feed ya, so don't go around wastin' your money on these awful veggie stuff. It'll give your stomach a story to remember."

Irene shot her companion a degrading scowl. She pinched the bridge of her nose. Seokjin remained impervious to her snarl. Jungkook reached for his boots beside the bed. Taeyong had prepared everything it seemed. He even left a compartment full of dry food on the side, and a bag of rubies for expenditure. Charming. He tightened the laces with a force.

"So my job's to look for leads?"

Irene handed him a hooked device. "Yes, and report back to us if you find anything. We've a few mercenaries working with us."

"Trust me, Taeyong said you're the best man for the job." Seokjin grinned again. His blue eyes were cold like icebergs. "You've a rep to live up to."

Jungkook grunted. He adjusted his weapons. "As long as I get my money."

He earned a laugh from the man. "You mercenaries are all the same."

Irene reached into her saddle bag. She pulled out a vibrating hook and clicked it. "I'm needed for action. Seokjin will fill you in about your role as a Thunderstorm rebel. Do you have any questions?"

"Am I supposed to say yes now that you're leaving?"

She arched a brow, and appeared even more haughty than before. "Seokjin will do the rest. I'll be off now."

Irene gave her companion a strange salute, one that consisted of rubbing her forefinger and middle finger down her forehead. Seokjin returned the gesture. Once she left, Seokjin beckoned Jungkook to follow him outside. Jungkook shoved passed him and into the sunlight. His muscles cracked, stiff from being bed ridden for three days, and to make matters worse, he sensed the antipathy between him and the male Gumiho. He raised his arm to shield the blinding light. It was a cloudy day, but he read in his files that the Old City rarely found blue skies. The majority of the Gidem’s pollution originated from its oldest area.

The buildings were rusted metal, or else broken red concrete. A few homeless hoodlums sat on the dirty, rocky floor. Groups sat together, smoking on substances that Jungkook knew were illegal. A caravan was parked close by, and the owner harangued with anyone in the vicinity showcasing his special bean-based burgers and vegetarian pizzas. Steam escaped from his open pod.

“It’s almost like another world here,” said Seokjin. His features softened as he walked beside Jungkook. “Not a place for the feint-hearted, so siree. They kinda leave the Gumihos alone.”

“Hmph. Sure.” Jungkook crossed his arms against his che

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter