Chapter 5

Garden of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook had a strange dream before he woke up.  He strolled inside a pall, to a waterfall that glittered like jewels. The waves crashed into the gleaming rocks, frothy and thunderous. He heard whimsical sounds in the wind, like that of chiming instruments. Behind the pall, he could make out a beautiful garden. Among the many flowers were animals: deer, rabbits, birds. Never had he witnessed such a serene ambiance in a long while. He knew it was not real, and when reality pulled him back, the dream ended.

            He laid on a soft bed. A dull pain throbbed from his neck to his left arm. He recalled flashes of what happened. The Carnivorist. The blood. The bodies that he shot. With a grunt, he pulled himself up. His neck held no scar. Unusual.

Sunlight filtered through the window. He was in a tiny room with nothing but a bed and a vase with a giant cactus plant.

            “You’re awake!”

He saw the girl who saved him earlier. She had peculiar silvery hair with a turquoise sheen to it. Her eyes curved like half-moons when she smiled. Her white cotton dress billowed as she crossed the threshold, the sunlight brightening her pale skin.

            Jungkook grunted, and touched his neck. His muscles were so stiff. “Thanks for helping me a few hours ago. I should really go now. ”

The girl placed her arms behind her back. “Yeah, about that…you’ve been out for three days.”

            The news struck him like a rock to his head. “Three days?” That meant he had only two more days to find some tabs on the Ancient. “Then I should really go.”

            “You can’t do that,” said a middle-aged man. “Dahyun found you just in time. You would’ve bled to death under the heat if she didn’t. You should stay with us for a few days until you’ve regained your strength. I’m Namjoon Kim, a local alchemist around these parts.” His giant moustache hid his mouth. With his dark skin and hair, he seemed like the polar opposite of his daughter.

            “But…” he began.

Dahyun interrupted him. “Daddy’s right. Besides, we could use another hand here. You’re a mercenary aren’t you?”

            Jungkook frowned. The family really tested his nerves. “Ah no…actually, I’m not.”

“Liar, liar,” Dahyun said, between a chuckle. “You heard dad. Stay until you’re better. Besides, my friends really own it up to you. You saved their lives.”

            “Not really,” said Jungkook. He gritted his teeth and pulled back the blankets. It was then that he realised his cotton trousers and long beige tunic. They were sleepwear clothes. “My…attire?”

            “I’ve sent them for a wash,” Namjoon replied, with a delighted smirk. “Ah, I left some medicine for you at the table. Dahyun, why don’t you treat our guest to some food.”

            “Are you serious?” Jungkook did not hide the growl in his tone. However, father and daughter were oblivious to his threat.

            “And if you be really good, you’ll get your weapons back,” Dahyun added.

Jungkook rubbed his forehead. It dawned on him what sort of a ruckus he created for himself. And it was all thanks to that arrogant Gumiho agent and his wily ways. Namjoon left for work and he had no choice but to follow Dahyun out of the room. It was then that he paused, his breath caught in his throat.

            The wallpaper was peeling off. There was a little hole close to the bullet-ridden front door. The kitchen, living room and dining area amalgamated into one room. Another door led to the toilet, and there was a door to the side, which he guessed was the family room. Raincoats were hooked on the walls. The table was small, with enough room for three people, and two mismatched chairs. The living area had a low table and some futons embellished in mirrors and beads. Sunlight entered through the window, leaving a dreamy quality on the books on the shelves.

            However, it was the many plants that caught his attention. The dining table had a vase full of yellow and pale pink flowers. The windowsill had pots of aloe vera he had never seen before. The kitchen corner had another vase with the same flowers, and some sprouting cattails.

            Jungkook’s muscles cracked as he moved towards the table. He needed to stretch back into shape, but for the moment, the plants struck him with awe. His fingers trembled next to the flowers.

They were so alive, so perfect and beautiful in the most ugliest part of the metropolis. Innocent and meek unlike the gaudy displays back in President’s district.

            “What’s your name? Go on, take a seat.”

“It’s Jung—J.K,” he answered.

            “Eh? What kinda name is that?” She snorted, messing with some pots and dishes in the kitchen. “It’s like you made it up. I’ll just call you Jay.”

            “Yeah, whatever.” He rolled his eyes. If he wanted to get out, he had to endure her infuriating manners for the time being.

Dahyun handed him a bowl of carrot soup. He hated carrots but his stomach churned and gurgled, and it made her laugh. He wondered why he wanted to disappear then. He took a sip, and sighed.

            “It’s good, right? I made it with extra care today so daddy could take some with him. The ginger root will give you some energy.”

Jungkook grunted. He just swallowed more. Slowly, his dormant strength awakened again. When his bowl was finished, she filled it up again, and sat beside him. Leaning with her elbow on the table, she held a bemused expression as she watched him gobble his food swiftly.

            “So…you mercenaries follow a Code, right?”

A nerve exploded inside him. He scowled at her. “I said I’m not a mercenary.” But she was right.

            “In the Code, you give a free service to anyone who saves your life or heals you, right?” she continued, nonchalant and diplomatic. He found her rather sly.

            “What’s your point?”

Dahyun grinned, and clapped her hands. “I’d love it if you could help me out with some errands today. A tit for a tat, you know?”

            Jungkook sighed in distress. If he were to continue his mission, he ought to get some information from Dahyun and Namjoon. Besides, Seokjin argued that he needed to gain the trust of the people. “I guess I could help, but tomorrow, I’ll leave.”

            “Oh thank you! That really means a lot. Okay.” She stood up. “I’m gonna get you some of daddy’s clothes. We’ll set off as soon as you’re done eating. Oh, I saw you watching the flowers.”

            He set his spoon aside, the flowers catching his attention again. “They’re beautiful. Didn’t see them in someone’s house before.”

            “Don’t they have them in the President’s district?”

He grimaced. “I told you, I’m not a mercenary.”      

            “Sure, sure. You keep telling yourself that. Okay, take this when you’re done.” She gave him some smashed bulbs mixed in acrid herbs. “It’s medicine.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter