you are my favorite adventure

Happily Ever After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9.

"Love doesn't have to be perfect. It just needs to be true."

The next few months were the happiest Hanbyul had ever been.

His visits came more frequently and the people of Seasons soon became accustomed to his appearances, the commotion that used to come with the King visiting lessening every time.

The knowing smiles they gave Jaehyun whenever he came wasn’t lost on him and he merely smiled back, simply confirming what they were thinking.

He was there for one reason.

One girl.

And as he dismounted from his horse, he caught wind of the townspeople voices.

“Look at her go.”

“Careful, Hanbyul! You’re going to trip.”

“Aw let her be. Young love is such a sweet thing.”

A wide grin broke out as he saw her running down the stone path, her long ebony tresses flying behind her. Jaehyun caught her in his arms easily as she flung her arms around his neck.

“I missed you,” she murmured and he held her tighter.

“I always miss you. I’m sorry I was away for longer than usual this time,” he said into her hair, pressing a gentle kiss to the crown of her head.

“What did I say about being disgustingly sweet in front of me?”

The couple broke apart and Hanbyul turned to shoot Johnny a glare though the happiness in her eyes did little to convince Johnny she actually meant it. When Johnny in turn shot Jaehyun a withering look, Jaehyun merely laughed.

“You’ve been replaced in Hanbyul’s heart, Johnny. Captain’s number one now,” Haechan piped up earning himself a smack to the back of his head from Johnny.

Hanbyul saw Lucas’ eyes do a quick sweep of the townspeople near them and she hid her smile under a small cough.

“Let’s have a party tonight! I can close the bakery early and you guys can tell me all about the adventures you’ve been on since the last time you visited. And Yuqi’s back in town too so it’ll be a nice time to catch up,” Hanbyul suggested.

“Yuqi’s in town?” Lucas asked, trying his best to be casual but obviously anything but.

“Mhmm.” Hanbyul couldn’t hide her grin any longer and Jaehyun looked down at her with a smile of his own.

He leaned down, whispering, “Playing cupid, Cookie?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Hanbyul chirped back, batting her eyelashes at him and Jaehyun laughed.

“So cheeky.” He pinched her cheeks eliciting complaints though their smiles didn’t fall.

“How about you lovebirds go get stuff for the party at the marketplace, while we set up camp on the outskirts,” Doyoung said and everyone nodded in agreement.

When the rest of the squadron dispersed, Hanbyul looked up at Jaehyun, his height towering over hers.

“Shall we go, your Highness?” She asked as she turned to him.

“Jaehyun.”

“Your Highness,” came the automatic reply and Jaehyun shook his head, an exaggerated sigh escaping him.

“Stubborn girl. But you said it so well that one time!” His eyes took on a mischievous glint then. “I may have been distracted by your state of dress—or should I say undress,” this prompted a smack from Hanbyul, “but I remember you calling me Jaehyun very clearly.”

Hanbyul tried her best to swallow down the rising blush and she smacked his arm once more for good measure. “I said to never talk about that!”

A laugh ripped from Jaehyun. “I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.”

The words flew out of his mouth so fast, it took him a moment for his brain to process what he’d just said.

Hanbyul’s heart stuttered and suddenly, it felt like heat dropped to the pits of her stomach. The look in Jaehyun’s eyes also changed from teasing to something akin to scorching fire and Hanbyul felt her cheeks turn a brilliant shade of red as she saw the dark desire fighting with his usual warm adoration.

Jaehyun shoved the thoughts down, his lips breaking into an easy smile. “Glad to know I can still make you blush like the first time we met,” he teased, his voice slightly gruffer than usual and Hanbyul let out a small huff though the blush didn’t fade in the lightest.

They had never explicitly talked about taking their relationship any further than it already was. It had come to her mind on occasion—wondering what it would be like to be with him in that intimate way—and had left her embarrassed at even the mere thought of it. But that look in Jaehyun’s eyes… It made a shiver run up her spine and the heat in the depths of her stomach swirled so violently she almost gasped out loud.

At a time like this, she truly felt their 6 year like they were galaxies apart. She had never been with a man like that, while it seemed Jaehyun knew exactly what he wanted and was comfortable in his own skin.

Jaehyun watched the flurry of emotions swimming in her eyes—surprise, embarrassment and want. He knew he had to calm his thoughts or else he’d be in deep trouble. But the endearing blush on her cheeks weren’t doing him any favors and he felt his mind wandering.

He knew she had never slept with anyone and he never wanted to rush her. It was her who set the pace and that’s how he wanted it to be. But it was hard concentrating when she was so enticing and he suddenly felt like he needed to take a cold shower.

Clearing his throat, Jaehyun reached for Hanbyul’s hand, breaking her out of her daze. “Shall we go pick up the ingredients?”

“Yeah.” Her voice came out slightly hoarse and breathless.

And as they made their way down the street, their minds were off elsewhere, lingering near a fine line of their relationship.

“You know,” Jaehyun started and Hanbyul looked up to see him staring at her curiously. “In all the times I’ve been in your bakery, I’ve never seen you make or sell cookies.”

At that, Hanbyul ducked her head with slight embarrassment and she scratched her cheek sheepishly. “Actually… that’s the one thing I’m not very good at baking.

Jaehyun blinked. Then, the sheer volume of his laughter made Hanbyul pout. “Aren’t cookies like the most basic recipe for a baker?”

“It always turns out too soft, or too hard, or too sweet and the list goes on,” Hanbyul argued feebly. “Eventually I just gave up.”

Reaching for the flour and sugar from her pantry, Jaehyun gave her a wide grin.

“What’re you doing?” Hanbyul questioned, her brows raising slightly.

 “Come on, Cookie. You have to live up to your nickname. We’ll do it together.”

Hesitation trapped her for a moment before she let out a sigh and smiled at the King. “Fine but if it turns out horribly, you’re taking responsibility.” Then she tapped her chin. “What kind of cookies should we make?”

“I always liked a classic chocolate chip cookie,” Jaehyun said and Hanbyul nodded.

They began to work, with Hanbyul giving Jaehyun instructions on how to create the batter as she measured out the ingredients for him.

It was different, she thought to herself, working in the kitchen with someone else. It had always been just her and now there was someone to chat with, to share her passion for baking with.

“Oops.”

She saw the mess before she heard him and the nervous smile he was giving her said enough for her to know he did something he wasn’t supposed to. Shooting him a pointed look, Hanbyul made her way to the kitchen counter after putting away the rest of the ingredients and Jaehyun quickly intercepted her.

Leaning down, he quickly stole a kiss that drowned out her oncoming protest, though she managed to mumble against his lips, “You’re not playing fair.”

Hanbyul stood on her toes, pressing her lips to his once more and Jaehyun reciprocated immediately. Just as they broke apart, she quickly gave him a light shove, using his distraction to her advantage, and maneuvered around him to check the batter.

There was a mixture of white chocolat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter