all i need is a second chance to love you

Happily Ever After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18.

"Sometimes all you need is a second chance, because time wasn't ready for the first one."

The air was crisp and slightly chilly as Jaehyun made his way from the training grounds to the dining room. It was a rare occurrence when his insomnia became so bad that he couldn’t sleep even for a moment but after yesterday’s events, there was too much on his mind for him to fall asleep.

Training was always a good method for him to release pent up energy and he’d been practicing his stances since before sunrise. When the sun hit the horizon signaling morning had come, he sheathed his sword and decided to grab a quick meal before heading to his room to shower and start the day properly.

The hallway to the dining room was still slightly dim with the sunlight slowly peeking through the windows, shining just enough light for him to make his way without fumbling. It seemed like an eternity since he’d walked these halls. After being on the road for 5 years on his quest to find Hanbyul, he’d barely spent time within the palace that everything felt foreign to him.

He was nearing the dining hall when he paused in his steps at the sound of shuffling feet behind him. Instinctively, his hands gripped the hilt of his sword as he whipped around, ready to apprehend the intruder.

A small squeak of surprise escaped Yunoh as he bumped into Jaehyun’s legs when the man turned around so suddenly.

“You scared me little guy,” Jaehyun breathed out in surprise before removing his hand from his sword. He knelt down to meet Yunoh eye level before giving a warm smile. “How’re you feeling?”

Yunoh smiled shyly. “I feel much better already. Even Dr. Renjun’s medicine doesn’t usually work this fast.”

Jaehyun chuckled and ruffled the boy’s hair eliciting a small protest. “That’s good to hear.” He looked over Yunoh’s shoulder but didn’t find Hanbyul anywhere in sight. “Where’s your mother?”

“She’s still sleeping,” Yunoh said, the smile dropping from his face. Jaehyun wondered if he’d said something wrong when Yunoh cast his eyes downwards. “Mom always wakes up in the middle of the night and stays up whenever I get sick cause she’s worried,” he mumbled so softly Jaehyun almost missed it. “I’m always a bother cause my body’s so weak.”

A pang resonated in Jaehyun’s chest at Yunoh’s crestfallen expression and he reached for the little boy’s hand, pulling him closer. “Hey,” he started with a warm smile. “Your mom does that because she cares about you, not because you’re a bother. She loves you and wants to make sure you’re okay. You would do the same for your mom if she were sick right?”

Yunoh nodded vigorously and Jaehyun’s smile widened. “It wouldn’t be bothersome, right?”

“Of course not!” Came Yunoh’s indignant reply.

Jaehyun reached out and flicked Yunoh gently on the nose. A startled yelp escaped the young boy and Jaehyun stood to his full height. “Exactly. So stop worrying about it and let’s get some breakfast, okay? I don’t know about you but I’m starving.”

Yunoh blinked before his smile slowly returned, the corners of his lips turning up so his dimple sank into his cheek. “Thank you, mister!”

With a quick glance towards Jaehyun, Yunoh timidly reached up, grabbing his hand. Jaehyun swore his heart melted when Yunoh beamed up at him when he returned his hold, gripping the little boy’s hands tightly before leading them into the dining hall.

It was heartwarming seeing how thrilled Yunoh was about everything. He couldn’t help but laugh as Yunoh stuffed his face and the chef was absolutely delighted to see someone eating his food with such vigor that he kept bringing out more much to Yunoh’s excitement.

They were chatting amicably when the doors to the dining hall burst open, startling both Jaehyun and Yunoh. Hanbyul looked thoroughly frazzled, her hair sticking out in a messy bun and her eyes wild as they did a sweep of the room until they landed on Yunoh.

The panic on her face washed away, replaced by relief and then anger. She didn’t even seem to notice Jaehyun’s presence as she marched over to Yunoh. “Where have you been? I was worried sick when I didn’t see you in bed!” Hanbyul scolded. “This isn’t Cherry anymore, Yunoh. We don’t know everyone here like we did back in town. What if something happened to you?”

Yunoh placed his fork down, his eyes watering slightly as his lips trembled. “I’m sorry, mom…”

“It’s my fault.”

Hanbyul jolted in her spot before she looked up to see Jaehyun giving her an apologetic smile.

“Y-Your Highness,” Hanbyul stammered.

And there it was again. The wistful smile gracing his lips that held memories that Hanbyul couldn’t recall. She shook away the thoughts as she questioned him. “What do you mean it’s your fault?”

“I ran into Yunoh in the hallway and decided to take him to breakfast. I should have let you know where I was taking him first so I apologize for startling you,” he said.

Hanbyul’s lips tightened before she averted her eyes and let out a sigh. She kneeled down and looked at Yunoh, who sniffled slightly and she reached up to wipe away the tears in the corner of his eyes. “It’s not your fault, your Highness,” Hanbyul murmured. “I’m just overly worried sometimes considering…”

She trailed off but Jaehyun picked up on her unspoken words. It seemed the trauma from her kidnapping still scarred her and he balled his fists as a sudden wave of anger nearly knocked the breath out of him.

He swallowed down the raging emotions and stood to pull out the chair opposite of where Yunoh sat. “Come join us for breakfast. Our chef makes a mean omelet,” Jaehyun smiled towards her.

She seemed hesitant but took a seat anyways, quietly thanking him as he handed her a plate of food. They ate in silence with Yunoh mostly filling the air with chatter. It felt foreign to Hanbyul, to have someone else joining her for such homely things like eating breakfast.

They felt like a family.

But they weren’t and Hanbyul knew it. Jaehyun was a stranger to them both and they were strangers to him. He was searching for a girl in his memories that would never return, a girl that Hanbyul never knew.

Perhaps it was because she knew this that she feared what may come if she tried to get to know Jaehyun. What if he was disappointed with who she was now? What if her current self couldn’t meet the expectations Jaehyun set for her?

She was a coward for running away from Jaehyun but she’d allow herself to be so rather than get hurt knowing she could never be the girl in Jaehyun’s memories.

“Hanbyul.”

Jumping in her seat, she saw Jaehyun staring at her plate and she realized she had barely touched her food.

“Is the food not to your liking?” He asked and she shook her head.

“No, I-I’m sorry I’m just not hungry,” she replied weakly and Jaehyun frowned at her blatant lie. She was thin enough as it was and he was an observant enough man to notice how jittery she seemed in his presence, the way she avoided looking at him or the way she stiffened every time he called her name.

Just as he resolved to leave her to eat in peace, the doors to the dining hall burst open once more.

“Finally! I was looking everywhere for you!”

Hanbyul’s eyes widened and a sharp gasp escaped her. The man who just walked in turned at the sound and his lips split into a wide grin.

“Fancy seeing you here, though I thought it was only a matter of time before he found you.”

“You’re the guy from the marketplace!” Hanbyul exclaimed and her eyes darted back and forth between the strange man and Jaehyun. “How…”

Jaehyun looked equally confused. “Mark, you’ve met Hanbyul?”

“Uh, sort of,” he grinned sheepishly. “Let me properly introduce myself. My name is Mark Lee. I’m an acquaintance to Jaehyun and Chaeyeon.”

“When did you meet Hanbyul?” Jaehyun blurted out. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I came back to the palace to tell you but Chaeyeon said you weren’t here. I was going to go find you but…” He grimaced. “Let’s just say something else came up.”

“Something else?” Jaehyun raised an eyebrow. It wasn’t like Mark to lose his usual mischievous demeanor.

Mark nodded curtly before motioning towards the doors. “There’s some things I have to catch you up on.”

Jaehyun rose from his seat and gave Hanbyul and Yunoh a small apologetic smile, his eyes settling on hers. “Thank you for joining me for breakfast. Feel free to explore the palace once you’re done with your meal. I’m sure Chaeyeon wouldn’t mind showing you around.”

With that, the two men whisked out of the room and Hanbyul felt like she could finally breathe. The world was too small for all these people to be connected. If Mark could find her that easily, what if the anti-Neo faction could find her as well?

Her eyes drifted to Yunoh, who happily chomped through a pile of pancakes. She had to protect her son at all costs.

That was all that mattered.

“Should I even ask how it’s going?” Mark asked dryly as they walked down the hallway. Doyoung was waiting for them halfway and he joined them as they walked briskly to the far end of the palace.

A heavy sigh escaped Jaehyun and he shook his head.

“That bad, huh?” Mark let out a low whistle. “How is she?”

“Running,” Jaehyun replied. “Away from me,” he added tiredly.

He wondered if she finished her food now that he was gone. He didn’t want her skipping meals just because he made her feel uncomfortable.

“Maybe she just needs something to do. She was working in a bakery before this and she was probably busy all day. Now she’s thrown into a new environment with nothing to do so she must be feeling pretty antsy,” Doyoung suggested.

“You’re saying I should put her to work?” Jaehyun asked.

Doyoung shrugged. “It’ll keep her occupied enough to hopefully stop running from you.”

Jaehyun scowled and made a swipe at Doyoung which he easily avoided. He let out a frustrated breath then. He remembered all their stolen kisses where her cheeks would flush pink and he’d for being so easily flustered. “She can’t make herself stay in the same room as me. She’s always looking for an escape route and she avoids me whenever she can, and not subtly either.”

It hurt to say but the truth was cold: she just didn’t trust him anymore.

She was so different from the girl he used to know yet unquestionably the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter