thrown into the unknown

Happily Ever After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5.

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change.

It had been nearly 3 months since the banquet at the palace, which still felt like a fuzzy dream in Hanbyul’s mind. Her life had reverted back to its normal routine, opening her bakery on the dot at nine in the morning everyday and experimenting in the kitchen whenever she got the chance.

Which was why surprise coursed through her as she watched Jaehyun saunter through the bakery with the rest of the boys trailing behind him and her brother at the rear.

The bakery was empty of customers as it neared her closing hours and she had been in the process of packing the leftover pastries, which she nearly dropped at the sight of the squadron.

“How?” She breathed out, her eyes wide. After a moment to gather enough coherent words to form a full sentence, she asked, “What’re you doing here?”

Determinedly avoiding eye contact with the King, she focused her gaze on Johnny.

“Thought it might be nice to see you. It’s been a while and we were on the road,” Johnny responded, though his eyes flickered to the King for a moment.

“I for one was dying to taste your pastries again,” Haechan proclaimed, eyeing the bag of leftovers she had been about to store away. With an amused smile, she held out the goodies and saw his eyes light up.

“You’ve been gaining weight these days,” Doyoung said to Haechan, intercepting the bag which prompted loud protest from Haechan.

Lucas pounced on Doyoung’s back causing the boy to stumble and drop the bag. “No hogging!”

As Yuta tried to pry the boys apart, Johnny merely sighed and gave Hanbyul an apologetic look. “We set up camp on the outskirts of town. We still have some things to do but wanted to drop by and see how you were doing.”

“Thanks for coming by,” Hanbyul said meaningfully with a soft smile and Johnny’s eyes softened. He knew it was hard on Hanbyul being alone at such a young age and he’d always felt bad that he’d left her to fend for herself.

Johnny nodded before grabbing Haechan by the scruff of his uniform. “Let’s go. Stop causing a scene in my sister’s shop.”

Loud complaints followed though they dragged their feet behind Johnny and out the door.

A tired sigh escaped her though the sparkle in her eyes had yet to leave. Grabbing the wash rag to clean down her tables, she nearly screamed when she almost bumped into Jaehyun.

He hadn’t spoken so much of a word since he’d entered the bakery and he had been sitting so silently, Hanbyul had thought he’d left with the rest of the boys. Mirth filled his eyes as if he were amused by her actions as she placed a hand on her racing heart.

“You surprised me, your Highness. Why haven’t you left with the rest of your squadron?” She asked with a slight edge in her voice. She hadn’t meant for it to come off so sharp yet the lingering memory of him abandoning their dance in favor for his ex-lover’s had her feeling slightly upset though she knew she had absolutely no right to be.

It didn’t go unnoticed as Jaehyun’s brows rose. “Jaehyun,” he corrected at her usage of his title before continuing with a curious tilt of his head, “Did I do something to offend you?”

She looked away, though she caught the way he frowned when she took the slightest step back. “No.”

“Are you sure? As King, I’ve done my fair share of listening to grievances, so let’s have at it,” he responded playfully. “What’s on your mind, Cookie?”

Her face flushed and she shot him a look at the nickname he bestowed her. “It’s nothing,” she muttered.

“I could always just order you to tell me, you know, King’s decree,” Jaehyun started which prompted a wry glare from the small girl, making him chuckle.

“An abuse of power if I ever saw one,” she quickly retorted, surprised at how fast the response had come to her. Jaehyun also seemed surprised at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter