The Bucket Lists

The Bucket List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"She's out of danger now."

 

Seohyun literally let out a huge exhale of relieved after one of the nurses told her the current situation. She once again got a glimpse inside when the nurse returned to the room. The doctor was no longer giving her wife a CPR and they have resumed the surgery. She took her seat back and check the time, it's almost sun set. But she couldn't even feel like she's hungry, as she resumes waiting for the surgery to be done. She hopes and pray they will able to dissolve her tumor.

 

"Patience, patience... " She keeps mumbling the same word over and over for the next couple of hours while she's anxious and would constantly turn her head to the surgery room.

 

8 hours later into the surgery, she's starting to feel her stomach, asking for food. But before she can even get herself a food, Yuri arrived with a lunch box.

 

"Yoona ask me to look after you as soon as I ended my shift." Yuri explained. "I haven't dinner, you know." and flashes a friendly smile as she handed her lunch box and chopsticks.

 

Seohyun was shy and grateful. "Thanks." But she's reluctant to accept it. "I hope I'm not bothering you."

 

"Nope." Yuri brightly smiled. "I'm using my free time and there's nothing to worry. How's the surgery so far?" She asks momentarily before taking a bite on her kimchi.

 

Seohyun sighs and took a glance to the room. "It's been 8 hours but they haven't left that room. Only the nurses are coming in and out. Thank you again, Yuri-ssi." She bowed her head a little before she began to eat her food.

 

"You know, Seohyun. Yoona is not just a friend of mine. She's like a younger sister. So, I don't know what will be feeling if... She couldn't make it."

 

"Please don't think like that." Seohyun begs doesn't want to think negatively.

 

"I'm sorry I couldn't help it. Yoona is really just close to my heart as well. While she's alone here, it's me that she can run to whenever she needs help.. And I am to her too. The whole hospital will really be sad."

 

"Can you tell me how was she as a nurse?" It got curious Seohyun. The doe-eyed had never shared to her everything when she's alone living in a foreign country. It makes her wonder how was her life before then.

 

Yuri smile and put her chopsticks down as she began to share it. "Nurse Im is an enthusiastic nurse. I still remember on our first day here, she was so lively. Unlike others who are nervous, she was too friendly as if the hospital is a playground, she would always greet everyone brightly, especially the young patients. She brings so much joy to them. One time also, she gave every senior nurse her homemade cupcake. She loves baking as she reasoned to everyone."

 

"Baking? No wonder she has oven at home but she doesn't used it anymore." Seohyun shared as she remembers how her wife told her the oven is like a display only in the house.

 

"I think she stopped baking when she learned about her tumor. I mean, I remember visiting her one night and the house was all mess. She was crying so much while drinking every can of beer from her fridge. She felt like she's going to die that night. She doesn't feel like doing anything at all especially when the hospital told her to rest and get a treatment. The used to be a happy pill turned out the saddest person." Yuri continued to share the story that makes her sad at the same time.

 

Seohyun smiled bitterly as she recalls every words Yoona have told her. It was all making sense to her now. Every sweet words and happy smiles, it was all genuine. "Thank you for sharing Yuri-ssi."

 

"Don't mention it. I just want you to know also because when I saw that sparkling eyes of happiness from Yoona yesterday, I was also happy and I know it was because she has someone by her side to keep her going. I think if not for you, she would really go with her prior plans."

 

Seohyun shakes her head. "No. It wasn't only because of me. Her family, they're the biggest source of her strength."

 

"I know but with your addition, she was extra happy." Yuri insisted. "Never seen her like that."

 

Seohyun couldn't say a word. She just smiles and feel shy. She took her chopsticks back and took a bite of her food. 'There's no late on love... indeed.' She thought, reminded by Tiffany's words before their flight.

 

"Um, wait." Yuri suddenly felt her phone vibrated on her pocket. As she took it, her eyes rolled to read it's her wife. She just rejected the call and turned her attention to Seohyun. "I think I should get going. Should we exchange number? So, you can update me with her status."

 

"Yeah, sure." Seohyun casually took her phone and handed it to the older woman. The latter also handed hers so she can save her number to her smartphone.

 

"Call me whenever you need help, okay? I'll be glad to do so." Yuri said handing the latter's phone as she took hers. She took her lunch box and got up. "Finish your meal."

 

"Yes. Thank you again, Yuri-ssi." Seohyun get up as well and bowed as the latter left her. She let out a sigh as she returned to her food. She's really glad there's someone she can trust while she's alone, outside the operating room.

 

Moments later, after filling her stomach, she gained new strength and was ready to wait for more hours until 15 hours later, in the surgery, the door opens and the doctors came out, all looking tired. But there's a smile on their faces.

 

"We have removed her tumor successfully. But we can't be sure yet with her recovery. We still have to keep an eye on her for the next six months to make sure her recovery rate. And if there's any complication." The Doctor send her the great news which makes Seohyun breathed out in relief as her tears drops automatically. She keeps bowing in front of the doctor, thanking them for their work and appreciating it a lot. Even though the result is not yet sure, at least they have succeeded on the surgery. She almost loses her balance if it wasn't for the doctor who held her hastily. She ends up crying in front of Doctor Cane.

 

 

:::

 

 

Just as Seohyun stepped out of the car, she was immediately welcomed by a fresh air. She loves it as it gives her exhausted body to relax and tells her that the day will be good.

 

Checking her reflection to the window of the car, she fixes her hair and her business suit. It's the day of her interview and she wanted to look nice in front of the interviewer.

 

Composing herself, she walked casually, heading to the building of the University. She asks a security guard to the way of the admin office and was guided to the second floor. While walking in the hallway, she could already see applicants outside the office. All of them are all canadians. But she doesn't mind and keep confidence at bay until she reached the waiting area. She took a seat and put on a smile as waits for her turn.

 

"Seo Joohyun."

 

As soon as she was called, she walked inside and the head of the admin greeted her with friendly smile. She casually handed her blue envelope which contains her resume, ID, temporary residency because she's new in the country and her certificate as a teacher back home. She waited at least five minutes before the interview started.

 

"How many schools did you applied for the position before you accepted our call?"

 

"At least ten, Ma'am." Seohyun confidently replied with a big smile on her face.

 

"How many called you?"

 

"So far this school, Ma'am."

 

"You're living with a nurse. Why did you decided to apply when you're not permanent?"

 

"Not only for the future, I need a job in order to keep us paying from my wife's medical bills. Our savings will not be enough if we only depend on it. If I will get this job also, I will be processing my permanent stay as a citizen of this country."

 

"She's sick?"

 

"Yes." She didn't even feel sad mentioning it.

 

"I'm sorry to hear that. Anyway, what can you promise to use once we hired you?"

 

"I'm someone who always follows any rules in a school I work for. You can guarantee that to me and also, I will be always diligent teacher for students and for my work."

 

The interviewer smile in amusement towards her. She likes the reaction and was hopeful she got the job.

 

"If we put you to high school, will that be fine for you?"

 

"I can teach until high school, ma'am not only elementary." She proudly shares earning a nod from the interviewer.

 

"Alright, we'll give you a call as soon as we get the result. Have a good day, Mrs Im-Seo."

 

Seohyun got up and bowed before leaving the office. She literally ed her top buttons on her blazer to breath comfortably. It was an easy and quick interview but she knows they will have a hard time on who to hire. She's however confident she'll get it. But if not, she still has options.

 

-

 

Feeling good since the interview, Seohyun decided to buy fast food for herself before going straight to the hospital. She was all in good mood, paying respect to nurses and doctors she would pass through and even greets the patients brightly. There's nothing to be really sad about after surgery even though her wife hasn't woken up yet. According to the doctor, Yoona's brain activity is better than the first twenty-four hours after the surgery. So, it means, any day of the week, she'll wake up.

 

Walking out of the lift, she was greeting the nurses on the floor where her wife is apparently confined, she suddenly had to stop her tracks when she saw Doctor Cane together with three nurses, rushing to Yoona's room. She hurriedly followed them and when she entered, Yoona is already awake but seems lost. She stands on the side while the doctor checks on her.

 

"Yoona, can you hear me?" Doctor Can ask while she's checking her eyes and pointed the small flash light into her eyes. She's moving it to see if the doe-eyed will follow however, she's like freeze up. "Let's take some time. She might respond later." He said as he stopped and instead, he massages her arms, legs and then tap her face a few times but his patient is still unresponsive.

 

"Inject her the medicine." He instructed the nurse. It's her daily medicine to keep her brain activity better which the nurse obliged casually.

 

Seohyun take a step closer. "What's going on doctor?" She asks in concerned.

 

"She had a seizure again earlier that leads for her eyes to open. We thought she has totally gained consciousness. It seems she just seizure."

 

"I see." She turned her attention to Yoona and smile bitterly. "Should we, close her eyes?" She couldn't take watching her like that.

 

"Let's wait for a while. Maybe ten minutes. If she won't move her eyes, then we have to close it again." The Doctor said and warmly smiled.

 

Seohyun heavily sighs. Taking her left hand, she holds it and whispers, "Come on baby. It's okay. You're going to be okay from now on. It won't hurt you anymore. Hmm?" She put her palm on her cheeks and smile towards her again. She had been doing it for three days already and she won't stop until she wakes up.

 

Just a couple of minutes later, Yoona's eyes created tears and she blink a little as she slowly finds Seohyun's eyes on her.

 

"Omo, she's awake." The Doctor hastily moved closer which cause Seohyun to let go of her hand. "Can you hear me, Yoona?" She asks yet she won't respond. "Um, if you do, can you blink your eyes?"

 

Yoona blink her eyes twice. Seohyun gasped in surprised.

 

"How about this?" The Doctor check if she can feel her and hold her hand.

 

Yoona blink twice.

 

"Can you raise your hands? Your legs?" The Doctor proceeds to check but the doe-eyed didn't reaponded. "We need to check something. Ask the medical technologist to prepare the room." He instructed the nurse.

 

"Doctor Cane, my wife, she's-"

 

"She can feel but she can't move yet. It's one of the effects every surgery. But with proper treatment, she'll be able to move again. But this is already a progress. Without the tumor, she'll slowly return to normal."

 

Seohyun nodded in understanding. "Thank you, Doctor." She turned to her wife and took her hand. "You did well, baby." She praises as she gets emotional, letting her tears of joy roll down her cheeks.

 

Yoona is staring at her, longingly.

 

 

:::

 

 

Day by day, Yoona is getting better. After waking up, she has started to move her fingers but still couldn't move her arms and legs. The doctor and nurses will always be there to assist her, to give her treatment every day and it's rewarding because the doe-eyed is responding smoothly... until one night, when everyone's asleep,

 

"S-Seohyun." Yoona could speak again and move her head.

 

The called-out woman was sleeping on the sofa, unaware of what's going on.

 

Taking a deep breath and slowly relaxed, she opened again to call her. "Seo... Joohyun!" It was a bit louder this time. Her wife didn't even move. She was too deep from her slumber.

 

Taking her time, she opened again. "Seohyun-ah!" She called out so loud which made her breathless and sudden struck of pain on her head. She pouted and cry silently, creating soft sobs while watching her wife from the sofa. She wanted her to know she can already talk to her so bad but it seems she has to wait until tomorrow morning.

 

 

:::

 

 

"Why did I dream of Yoona calling me?" Seohyun woke up the next morning feeling daze for a moment before she fully gained her consciousness. She got up and casually walked to her wife's bed side, just to see her still asleep and it makes her let out a huge yawn.

 

"Good morning my love." She greeted momentarily as she leaned down and kissed her forehead. A big smile formed on her lips, feeling good to see her and knowing she's progressing well for almost three months now. "I'll just wash up first." pinching her cheeks gently, she left to the comfort room and take her time cleaning herself.

 

Yoona soon gained consciousness. The first thing she do is to try lift her arms. She can do it but it will make her release it immediately. Turning her head to the right, she was met by an empty sofa. 'Where is she?' she was excited to call her but she once again missed her. 'Aish.' so instead, she does what she and the doctor would ask her; move her fingers, facial exercise and trying to lift her legs, upper body and arms. She could only lift it a little and dropped it right away as it would hurt her head.

 

She got exhausted and could feel her sweats rolling down from her forehead. 'It's almost breakfast, why aren't she going back yet?' she noticed the time which makes her miss her wife already.

 

Humming a song, Seohyun exited the comfort room later but only to stop and noticed her wife is breathing heavily. "Hey, you awake." She hurriedly rushed to get her a glass of water but she suddenly stopped and turned. She noticed; her head is facing the right side then she slowly turned it to face her. She almost dropped the glass when she smiled. "You-you... did you just?"

 

"I hate you." Yoona said, loud and clear.

 

Widening her eyes, Seohyun rushed to her side and demanded, "Come again?" As it totally surprised the hell out of her. Her heart is beating fast due to excitement.

 

"I'm thirsty. Get me a water first." Yoona asks a favor.

 

"Oh my God!" Seohyun covered as her tears automatically drops. "This isn't a dream, right?" she shakes her head and tap her cheeks a few times and pinched herself. "Ah!" only to hurt herself.

 

Yoona smiled in amusement. "You're not dreaming, baby."

 

"Just when?" Seohyun ask, trembling in happiness. She cupped her face and give her a morning kiss right away, earning a big smile from the latter.

 

"Please don't cry." Yoona begs. Even though she knows why she's being emotional, she wanted to see her beautiful smiles only.

 

"I just can't help it. Today is history. Thank you baby... for not giving up." Seohyun leaned down to hug her. She sobs silently on her shoulder. "You have no idea how much I waited for this moment." she said in between her sniffles. "I thought this won't happen anymore."

 

"I can lift my arms and legs also but just a little." Yoona gladly shared the news. "I need more treatment from Doctor Cane."

 

Seohyun pulled back and looked at her. "Chincha?"

 

"Yes. So, stop crying now, please." Yoona replied softly. She received shower of kisses on her face instead before the latter calmed down.

 

"My baby is really so strong, eh?" Seohyun couldn't be prouder. She wipes her tears away and hug her again. All the struggles she encountered is finally paying off. Her patience was all worth it. "Wait. Water." She almost forgot about it that she pulled back and went to the dispenser right away and returned to help her drink the water. She wipes away the wet spot under her lips with her thumb and smile lovingly.

 

"Thank you also for taking care of me. I don't think I will make this far without you, Seohyun." Yoona gratefully says. "I'll make it up to you one day."

 

Seohyun shakes her head. "I'm your wife. It's my responsibility to take care of you. Struggles are all paid off, honestly."

 

"Even though I don't have hair now?" Yoona chuckled.

 

"Babo." Seohyun scolded. "Your hair will grow again though. But let it like that first, you know you have to heal your surgery." She patted her clothed head gently and kissed it. "You did well."

 

A sweet yet genuine smile appeared in Yoona's lips only. If only she can hold her easily, she initiated another hug. But a smile would do, especially that her wife is being cute.

 

"Hold on, I'll call the doctor and I'll get your breakfast also." Seohyun put the glass down and caresses her wife's face first while smiling sweetly before she left her.

 

Yoona couldn't smile even wider. All the things she had been praying to happen is slowly coming true. She's grateful and doesn't want to take it for granted.

 

After a while, her wife returned with a tray of food and doctor, quickly asking her questions which she didn't decline to answer.

 

 

:::

 

 

It's Christmas. But unlike other patients, Yoona is on the treatment room, where she is being assists by her doctor and nurses.

 

*thud.*

 

She hasn't even reached the end, she dropped on the floor, breathless and is enduring the pain over her legs and head. So far, she can use her hands to hold and carry things but her legs have refused to give her the strength yet. She needs more walking treatment in order to gain it back.

 

Being helped into her wheelchair, she bowed her head in gratefulness to the doctor and nurse. She asks them not to bother her to bring her to her room as she decided to drive her own wheelchair. She reached the lift not long after but she was surprised to see her wife is inside. But instead of feeling happy to see her, she ignored her and entered the lift with a cold shoulder.

 

"You guys finished early?" Seohyun asked trying to converse with her wife.

 

"What took you so long?" Yoona is upset. She thought she's going to see her on her therapy but she didn't make it. "I waited for like hours. You didn't even see me in the morning."

 

"I... I'm sorry." Apologized Seohyun. "But you know how I have to finish my last class before sending my students to Winter Vacation. Then I have to finish my work in the office. It's Christmas, the road is pack... that's why I wasn't able to arrive early at home to make your favorite food." she looked down to the paper bag that contains the celebratory food for them. She's upset for herself and Yoona that she had to be so mean. However, she couldn't add more fuel on already burning mood of her wife. She knows she's stress herself with her treatment. "Yoona, please hear me out." She begs but she was ignored. 'Aish.' It's actually getting harder to be always in her side, with her job in the morning. She will only return when it's already night and is already exhausted to even greet her. Marriage with a sick partner is harder than she had imagine. She could only control her frustrations and hold it inside even though her tears would end up falling.

 

*ding*

 

Pushing her own wheelchair, Yoona ignored all the help her wife is willing to give until they reached her room.

 

"Let me-"

 

"I can do it myself." She ignored when she wanted to help her even on climbing on her bed. It was difficult but she was able to lie back on her bed and give her a cold back. She wasn't only upset of Seohyun but also to herself for being a burden. She hated the fact that it's already

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter