Family

The Bucket List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Miss."

 

"Miss wake up."

 

"We have landed, Miss."

 

It took more shake from the flight attendant to a doe-eyed girl to finally gain her consciousness. The girl quickly got up and grabs her belongings before she sprinted out of the plane.

 

"Where are they?" She started looking for her sister and mother while looking around the airport and trying to contact her sister on her phone. "Aish, I told them my arrival time." But it seems they are going to be late or did they forget? She hastily sent her sister a message that she has arrived and is waiting for them to fetch her.

 

Sighing so loud, she took a seat to a nearby bench and hugs her bag close to her chest while pouting. Her eyes never stopped wanders as she takes notice to her surroundings especially those who arrived from overseas and meet with their family. All of them looked so happy with all the kisses and hugs. But she giggles to see a crying kid when she saw her mother back. It reminds her of those kids back in Canada, who would always cry every time she shot them. Also, when she was still in kindergarten, she always cries when her mother doesn't give what she wants especially corndogs, her favorite food.

 

"Ugh, I'm hungry." Checking her phone again, she finally found out why her sister and mother are late, they are stuck in a traffic. "Aish, this place hasn't change." Getting up, she took her luggage back and started looking for a fast food restaurant that sells her favorite. Lucky for her, there was a small stall that sells street foods. "Two corndogs and coke please." She brightly ordered and got it in an instant. She sat down to a nearby table while enjoying her food. "If they don't arrive before eleven, I'm leaving." she told herself in between her munch. There's only 30 minutes before eleven in the evening strikes. 'Aish, when you end up having dinner in an Airport. This doesn't even include in the bucket list.'

 

After thirty minutes, she received a message from her sister to just grab a taxi. And just like she told herself, she ends up leaving the airport and goes home on her own.

 

"WELCOME BACK IM YOOOONAAAAAA!!!"

 

She almost had a heart attack when she was greeted by loud noise and a confetti exploded in the air. Her mom, sister and grandma welcomed her with hugs and kisses which never fails to make her smile and touched by their surprise. They even made her a banner with her face on it. She's more than surprised to see her grandma though, who still look so healthy and she loves it.

 

"So, this was all planned?" She asks after all the hugs and 'catching up'.

 

"Yes. How are we going to surprise you if we fetch you, eh?" Tiffany, her older sister admitted with a proud smile. "And Don't you love it? We have prepared for you too." she added, talking about the food int he living room which made Yoona's stomach growl.

 

"Yah, it's not only for Yoona. Grandma is also here." Mrs. Im lightly punched her daughter to correct her.

 

"Aigoo, quit that, let Yoona change her clothes first. She has to freshen up." Grandma Im said as she walked upstairs.

 

"Just tell me Grandma cooked for this for me." Yoona jokes earning a scoff from her sister and mother. "I'm just kidding. It's great to see you guys again." She said as she hugs them again. She sighs and whispers. "I missed you all."

 

Tiffany rubs her back. "We missed you too, Yoong. Hope your stay will be meaningful."

 

"And memorable." Mrs. Im added, giving her youngest a pat on her head before they pulled back from the hug. "Off you go before your grandma scold you from not following her."

 

"Yes. Be right back." Yoona smiled brightly and she rushed upstairs. She heads straight to her room but stopped on her tracks when she's already inside. The room she has left for three years is still the same. Her favorite posters of her favorite anime are still on the walls. The desk that has her books and notebooks from high school to college brings smiles on her face, reminiscing her school years. But the picture frame of her family on the night stand however vanishes her smile when she saw her late father, who died after her college graduation due to kidney failure. She misses him more than anyone in the world because he was the reason why she's now a successful nurse.

 

"He's the proudest that you're now like him, Yoona." Grandma Im softly said upon seeing her granddaughter is staring to the picture frame.

 

"Yeah, I'm always proud of him for being so dedicated to his profession." Yoona said, she took the picture frame and smile sweetly. "Thank you Appa. I know you were the reason why I made it through. I wouldn't survived in Canada because of you."

 

Grandma Im reaches for her grandchild's face and give her cheek a warm rub. She's so proud as well. "You've grown well, honey. I will forever be proud of what you are right now. All the sacrifices you did back then, it paid off well to see you this successful and beautiful."

 

"Thank you, grandma." Yoona stepped forward to hug her grandma warmly. "I still remember that day when you spank me because I stole Unnie's food."

 

"Aigoo, why would you mention that?" Grandma Im chuckled softly, patting her grandchild's back gently.

 

"Because I'm thankful you spanked me. I think if you didn't, I wouldn't know that was wrong." giggles Yoona. She slowly pulled back and kissed her grandma's forehead. "Look who doesn't get old, eh?"

 

"Stop that." Grandma Im scolded, slapping the deer's arm. "Go and freshen up so we can have our late dinner together."

 

Yoona giggles. "I love you, grandma." And then runs to the bathroom.

 

A warm smile spread across Grandma Im's face as she watched her grandchild's silhouette from the bathroom. Her eyes then traveled to the family picture on the bed, of her son and his family. "I told you, he will be like you."

 

 

:::

 

 

Laughter and conversations filled the entire living room of Im household all coming from the alligator like mouth of Yoona who couldn't stopped it because her grandma is striking them with good jokes and her mother and sister are sharing stories she doesn't know happened while she was away. It's been a while since she last experienced it and she look forward for more. But as soon as they finished their meals, the living room got quiet, Tiffany returned to her room, Mrs. Im washes the dishes while her grandma continued watching the TV.

 

"Omma, I got it." But instead of resting like her sister, she went to the kitchen and stopped her mother from doing the dishes.

 

"Yah, you just arrived. Aren't you tired?" Mrs. Im is in disbelief as she decided to stepped away to give it to her youngest.

 

"I slept the whole time in the plane. I'm not tired at all." Yoona reassures, winking playfully at her mother while doing the dishes.

 

"So, no jet lag?"

 

"I'll probably sleeping in the morning."

 

Mrs. Im gasps. "Yah! That's not good."

 

"I'm just kidding. By the way Omma, what happened to mimi?" Yoona remembers their cat and she noticed she no longer around the house.

 

"Ah yeah, I haven't mentioned. She got sick last month and we couldn't save her."

 

"Chincha?"

 

Mrs. Im nodded apologetically. "I'm sorry about it."

 

Yoona sighs. "I didn't even manage to see her." As it saddens her.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"No worries. It's fine. If I have known my boss wouldn't let me go back too. Maybe we can adopt another pet."

 

Mrs. Im smiled a little. "It's great he let you take your vacation this time."

 

"This is part of my contract too, Omma. They'll give me a month of vacation after three years straight of working." Yoona informed as she briefly looked at her mothe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter