Chapter 1

Forbidden Love

It was the start of a new school year for Siyeon. It would be her last year of high school, her last year spending most of her time at the school. Her last year before having to become an adult and face a whole new world. So close to graduating and going to university yet so far away. Siyeon had mixed feeling like most students faced on their last year of school before adulthood. Like most students she just wanted to graduate and start a new life somewhere else and make her own decisions, but she also had that fear of not yet dealing with the responsibilities of adulthood. Siyeon would have to grow up and leave her childhood behind even if she didn’t want to. It was society wanted out of her, to grow up.

It was a nice day she noted as she zoned back to the real world while walking to her school, a nice start to the day. Siyeon didn’t necessarily hate school but she didn’t hate it either, it was just a steppingstone for university. She planned on studying at a music school, hopefully she would get accepted by a good university.

She got to her homeroom and noticed that she was the first, she sat down and went on her phone, waiting for the rest of the students to pile in.

The school day went by well, she already knew most of her classmates as she’s been with them for years now, except for one boy who transferred this year, but she didn’t pay much attention to it. What Siyeon was most excited for was the rock band club. She was the club president but honestly that title didn’t mean much, it was just needed for them to be an official club so Siyeon was chosen this year as she was a 3rd year and since it was only her and one other member.

She, as well as her fellow member, Handong, had promoted their club at the orientation the 1st years had, hoping to gain some new members as two from the club had graduated. That left some two empty spots, that being a spot for bass and a spot for drums. Those were essential spots in the band that were previously filled by Minji, and Bora. Even while they may have graduated and left to other cities, the four of them still kept in contact, and had even hung out before the new school year started.

Hopefully, if anyone took over the drums, they would be as good as Bora was. That girl really went crazy when playing yet she still had so much technique and skill for them. Well, actually they don’t have to be as good as Bora, Siyeon thought no one could match the energy and skill of that crazy little gremlin.

As soon as the bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, Siyeon raced to the room where they would meet up in, well not really raced but more of a quick walking pace. Siyeon really despised running or any form of exercise and she was in no shape to be running up the stairs. She entered and saw that Handong was there before her. She saw Handong give her a smile, she returned the smile, happy to be able to see her again, even if they saw each other over the break.

The room was exactly the same, a bit dusty but that’s because the room wasn’t being used anymore for class. It was just a room for storage, left to gather dust at least until the club was formed. There wasn’t much, just a table, chairs and lockers they installed for their instruments. It was a pretty empty room but that was the point, they couldn’t have much stuff in here as it would get in the way of their equipment.

“Hey Handong.” Siyeon greeted, “How’s the first day been so far?”

“Hello Siyeon. It has been good day today, good but not really exciting. How has your day been?” Siyeon always noticed this elegant aura Handong had. With the way Handong held herself, Siyeon would never think she would be in a rock band, but here she was.

“Ehh, nothing special but it’s good. Have you heard if anyone was interested in joining?” Handong shook her head and Siyeon sighed at that. If no one joined this year, they would be forced to disband the club and have to go somewhere else if they wanted to continue playing music.

With that they sat down and waited to see if anyone new would walk in, even though it was very unlikely. Rock music was not really something Koreans liked to listen, especially teenagers. Students preferred more of the pop music that was always heard from those K-pop groups. In the meantime, they started talking about the new music video One Ok Rock released. Siyeon introduced the group to the members and they had all liked the band, and even went to the concert last year.

Both were so deep in their conversation that they didn’t hear the door opening and two sets of footsteps walk in. They finally noticed the visitors once they heard a small timid voice call out to them.”

“H-hey, i-i..is this the rock band club room?”

They both turned to look at the newcomers, and it was quite a sight. A taller looking girl was shyly hiding behind a smaller girl who looked like she didn’t want to be here.

Siyeon and Handong both looked at each other before Siyeon spoke up, “Uh, yeah this is the room you’re looking. Are you both looking to join?”

“Yeah that’s why we are here, well mostly Yoohyeon is.” This time the smaller of two spoke up.

“Alright that sounds great!” Siyeon cringed a bit at the way she was talking but she didn’t want to scare them away, her intimidating eyes didn’t usually help when she tried to meet new people.

“My name is Lee Siyeon, 3rd year and club president.” She bowed slightly and looked at Handong, so that she would introduce herself as well.

“Hello, I am Handong, 2nd year. Nice to meet you both.” Handong also bowing at the newcomers.

“I’m Lee Yubin, and this overgrown puppy hiding behind me is Kim Yoohyeon. We’re both 1st years.”

Siyeon was extremely confused at why Yubin had introduced Yoohyeon as a puppy. She didn’t really look like a puppy, well maybe just a bit with that adorable pout she had on her face.

It was Handong who decided to ask the question. “If you don’t mind me asking, why a puppy?”

“Oh well this one tends to act like an overgrown puppy. Pretty sure she’s a furry too.” This statement made Yoohyeon give the most offended look she could muster.

“Hey! I am not a furry! How many times do I have to tell you this?”

This conversation just made Handong and Siyeon even more confused. They watched the two bicker back and forth without understanding a single word.

“What’s a furry?” It was probably the question Siyeon wanted answered the most as she wanted to know why Yoohyeon was apparently one.

“A furry i-..” Yoohyeon quickly put her hands over Yubin’s mouth.

“It’s nothing, you don’t have to worry about it. It’s just a dumb inside joke.” Yoohyeon spoke very franticly, clearly not wanting to continue this conversation.

“Alright then, you guys saw the posters saying we needed a bassist and a drummer. So, you guys know how to play right?”

“Yeah totally! I can play the bass and Yubin here knows how to play the drums. I actually convinced her to join as well.”

“Well, how about you play us a little something? We can set up the bass and drums in no time.” Siyeon gave them a small smirk.