Couple for a Day

Couple for a Day

 

The sun was already well up in the sky when Taeyeon finally decided to wake Sunny up. She tiptoed into the short girl’s bedroom and silently stood still beside her for a minute, trying to think of the best way to wake her up.

 

“Morning, Sunshine! Rise and shine like the sun!” She shouted loudly and jumped onto the sleeping girl.

 

Sunny woke up with a start and groggily sat up. She pouted cutely while rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. “Morning, Tae. I’m still so sleepy.”

 

“No no no, you’re not going back to sleep. Go wash up now. I made you brunch.” Taeyeon pulled the girl up from the bed and pushed her into the bathroom. “I’ll be waiting at the table. Be quick!”

 

Sunny sighed and splashed some cold water onto her face. I shouldn’t have stayed up that late last night, especially after all those schedules. She thought regretfully while refreshing herself. When Sunny stepped out of the room after a while, she saw Taeyeon seated at her usual spot at the dining table. There were red roses and pink balloons scattered everywhere across their dorm and on their big glass window, colorful post-it notes formed the words: “Happy V’ Day. Luv U ALL <3”.

 

“Jessica did that.” Taeyeon told me when she saw me staring at all the decorations. “Under Tiffany’s command of course.”

 

Sunny chuckled lightly as she walked across the room and took a seat in front of the other girl. She smiled when she saw that Taeyeon had made her her favourite meal: eggs sunny side up, kimchi fried rice shaped into a heart, sausages, and orange juice. While devouring the brunch, Sunny realized that the house was really quiet: no Sooyoung trying to steal her food, no Hyoyeon smacking the shikshin on the head, no Tiffany giggling excitedly at some drama on TV, no Jessica sleeping on Tiffany’s lap, no Seohyun politely begging her unnies to be quiet so that she can study, and Yoona and Yuri were not here to play pranks on them either.

 

“Where is everyone?”

 

“Fany dragged Sica to go shopping and to watch a movie. Soo took Hyo out for lunch. Yul followed Yoong to her filming to support her. And maknae is out filming WGM with Yonghwa.” Taeyeon replied with a sad smile. “It is the day for couples after all. We single people are stuck at home while they all have fun.”

 

Sunny nodded in agreement while gulping down her orange juice. She stood up and placed her plate in the sink before turning around when feeling that Taeyeon was observing her every move. A light bulb lighted up in her mind when she saw the bored looking girl.

 

“Hey, why don’t we become a couple for a day?” She suggested excitedly with a shy smile on her lips, bouncing back towards the latter.

 

“A couple?” Taeyeon asked, confused yet eager to get out of her boredom. Her heart suddenly skipped a beat.

 

“Yeah, but we don’t have to be too couply like Fany and Sica. It’ll be fun, I think. Maybe just like hanging out together?” Sunny trailed off uncertainly.

 

Taeyeon’s face lit up into a wide smile and she giggled like a little girl. “Sure why not? Like a date? What do you want to do?”

 

Sunny’s eyes smiled when she saw how the latter was bouncing on her heels dorkily. “Let’s play a game or two. I challenge you.”

 

The ‘couple’ ended up playing in front of the TV for more than three hours with Sunny winning nearly all the games they played (maybe it was because Taeyeon let her win). They played nonstop until they ran out of games. By the time they relaxed their hands and eyes, it was already four in the afternoon. Taeyeon announced Sunny as gaming champion to the empty dorm and gave her a congratulating peck on her cheek.

Sunny’s cheeks glowed with a pink tint when Taeyeon’s soft lips touched her cheek and she closed her eyes tightly and clenched her hands into fists. However, Taeyeon did not see the latter’s reaction as she was already heading towards the kitchen to make some snacks for her ‘girlfriend’.

 

“What’s on?” Taeyeon asked, taking a seat back beside Sunny on the sofa and placing the food tray on the table in front.

 

“Some English romance movie.” Sunny replied, eyes focused on the screen.

 

“Ahhh.” Sunny looked towards the girl in surprise and saw that she was motioning for her to open . She followed the unsaid command and Taeyeon stuffed a sandwich inside Sunny’s mouth.

 

“Good?” She asked, watching the girl cutely nibble on her sandwich like a rabbit. Sunny nodded and leaned back into the soft cushion of the couch while watching the movie again. “What’s the movie?”

 

“The Notebook.” Taeyeon nodded in approval at the choice and snuggled closer to the latter. She put her arms around the girl and leaned her head on her shoulder. Sunny also rested her head on the other girl and sighed contentedly.

 

Taeyeon stared at the moving words on the TV screen but her focus flagged quickly as she has already watched the movie several times with Tiffany. Instead she directed her attention towards the girl beside her. Taeyeon stared at Sunny, observing the way formed a little “o” whenever the plot gets exciting and the way her eyes smiled when Noah and Allie were happily together. However, the latter did not notice the eyes on her. Taeyeon continued gazing at her, smiling when she smiled, and frowning when she pouted. She did not know after how long, but darkness slowly obscured her view of the cute girl as her eyelids drooped and she fell asleep.

 

After about an hour, Taeyeon was startled awake from her dreamland, thinking that there was an earthquake. However, her fear soon subsided and her heart beat slowed when she realized it was just Sunny. Sunny was still watching the movie, but she was no longer smiling. Tears were running down her face as she tried to swallow her sobs.

 

“Sunny-ah, what’s wrong?” Taeyeon asked with concern, lifting her head back off her shoulder.

 

“Tae, this is so heartbreaking!” Sunny flung her arms around Taeyeon’s shoulders and snuggled closer, almost ending up on her lap.

 

“Now, now. Don’t cry anymore.” Taeyeon rubbed the crying girl’s back soothingly. “At least they were together in the end.”

 

Sunny nodded and willed herself to stop crying. She wiped her eyes dry and peeked over the latter’s shoulders towards the TV. They remained in the embrace until the credits began to scroll up.

 

“It’s done.” Sunny finally released Taeyeon with a sad smile which the other girl returned.

 

Taeyeon lifted a hand up and gently wiped away the remaining tears on the girl’s face.

 

“Were you very sad?” She asked softly, her fingers lingering on Sunny’s cheek.

 

“It was sad, but they are very lucky… to have experienced a love as strong as theirs.”

 

“Do you want to experience it?” Sunny looked at her in confusion.

 

“Taeyeon…” She lost her train of thought when she realized the proximity of their faces. She held Taeyeon’s gaze and did not back away when she approached closer. There was only one centimeter of air left in between them. “Yes.”

 

Taeyeon moved her head slightly and placed her lips on Sunny’s. She was gentle and she started slowly, waiting for a response, whether it would be acceptance or rejection of her feelings. Although Sunny knew it was coming, she was still very surprised when she felt the slight pressure of Taeyeon’s lips on hers. Her mind told her that it was wrong but her heart began to race. She could feel her heart pounding, beat for beat with Taeyeon’s. She liked it, and she likes Taeyeon a whole lot too. She felt her smile when she got the answer to her unsaid question. Taeyeon slid her hands around Sunny’s waist and pulled her closer and began to kiss her more passionately. Sunny responded in the same manner, wrapping her arms around the latter’s neck.

 

Suddenly there was a sound of a lock clicking and the entrance door swung open.

 

“Taeng, Sun, we’re home!” Tiffany announced in her loud voice as she and Jessica walked into the living room with arms around each other’s waists. “How—”

 

Taeyeon and Sunny immediately let go of each other as soon as they heard them come in but it was too late. Tiffany and Jessica stood in front of them with both their eyes and mouths wide open. The two shorties stood to face them with guilty expressions on their faces.

 

“Were you two just KISSING?!” Tiffany asked loudly.

 

“Who kissed who?” Sooyoung asked as she and Hyoyeon also returned with a big tub of ice-cream in their hands. They froze when they saw the dramatic scene, Hyoyeon in the middle of feeding Sooyoung and the tall girl in mid-stride.

 

“Omo, are you two like… a couple now?!” The volume of Sooyoung’s voice rose with excitement.

 

“Who is a couple?” Yoona and Yuri asked simultaneously when they joined the other girls with Seohyun tagging along behind them. They followed the eyes of the other four girls and figured out the mysterious ‘couple’.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie, Sunny-unnie, congratulations!” The maknae rushed forward and shook the two’s hands.

 

“So you two are a couple now?” Jessica repeated confusedly. “How come?”

 

“We were playing couple for a day.” Sunny answered her.

 

“So it’s only for a day?” Hyoyeon asked again.

 

“For a day that lasts forever.” Taeyeon replied, smiling at Sunny. Sunny smiled back and entwined her fingers with Taeyeon’s.

 

“Yes. We are together.”