CHAPTER 1

Away With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Clunk! Hyejoo closed the trunk of her car and sighed, the feeling of having forgotten something still lingering. She looked at the pamphlet of the little tropical tour her manager gave her and wondered once more why she couldn’t just go where she wanted to…by herself. The thought of going on a joint trip with people (probably much older than her) that she didn’t know wasn’t exactly exciting. Or relaxing for that matter. Knowing that you had to share the hotel room with someone else if you were traveling alone almost made her want to stay home altogether. In the end, she decided she needed this. Even if it wasn’t the trip she wanted to take at least her company was paying for it. 

As she drove to the predetermined meeting place she started to list the things she brought in her head once more. Clothes, toothbrush, toiletries, bug repellent, charger, documents… “What am I forgetting” she said aloud, silently tapping the steering wheel. Whatever it was she couldn't remember now, or maybe she was just overthinking. There’s no point in worrying about it now anyways she thought, a sign reading DREAM TROPIC TOURS catching her eye. She drove in to the parking lot in front of the small, resort-looking building, knowing this was only where they’d be keeping her car safe for the time being and catching a glimpse of what she assumed was going to be the bus she and the rest of her tour-mates were going to take to the airport. 

Unloading her luggage and making sure her car was locked up, she started walking towards the bus. It was 5:00AM but still she could see some of the older couples wearing floral patterned shirts and sun hats, she didn’t understand why since they were just traveling today. And it was cold. Really cold. Looking at some of them wearing knee-length shorts just made her feel colder. She tucked her hand deeper into her black jacket pocket as she approached the group of people, tugging her luggage behind her. 

“Good Morning!” A woman who looked like she was in her late thirties said as she approached her, clad in khaki jeans and a tucked in polo shirt that said ‘Dream Tropic Tours’ on her sleeve. Must be our guide Hyejoo thought. “Good morning” she replied quietly.

“I’m glad you could make it today! I’ll be your guide through this whole little getaway along with my partner over there.” She pointed at a young man talking to the other passengers, wearing the same uniform. “If you ever have any questions or need any help don’t hesitate to get one of us.” Hyejoo nodded. “I’m gonna need you to find your name on this passenger list right here and sign right beside it so we can keep record of who was able to make it.” Hyejoo took the clipboard from her hands and searched, silently hoping there wasn’t anyone she knew on this trip somehow. Son Hyejoo, she found her name and signed right beside it. 

“Ah, Miss Son Hyejoo... you’re one of our single passengers! As you know the hotel rooms have to be booked in pairs so we’ve taken the liberty of teaming you up with one of our other lone riders.” She said in a cheerful tone, completely contrasting the cold air and low light of the morning. She motioned Hyejoo to follow her through the small crowd of people, as they walked, Hyejoo carefully stepped through with her luggage in hand, preparing herself mentally to meet her roomie for the rest of the trip. She saw the woman approach a small, blonde girl sitting on a near-by bench. She was holding what seemed like a cup of coffee, her big yellow sweater pulled over her hands and a pink beanie made her seem even smaller. Cute Hyejoo thought. 

“Miss Hyejoo this is Miss Park Chaewon! Your Tour Buddy for the rest of this getaway! I hope that you’re able to get along and if anything ever comes up don’t be afraid to get one of your guides. We’re still waiting on a few people so I’ll be letting you know when we’re heading out.” The tour guide smiled and with a final wave left towards the other passengers. 

Hyejoo and Chaewon were silent. Chaewon looked up from her bench and offered a smile, which Hyejoo returned as best as she could trying to clear the awkward tension. 

“Um, hi.” Chaewon said, extending a small hand towards Hyejoo. Hyejoo shook it, feeling the warmth that lingered because of the coffee. Chaewon scooted over, leaving space for Hyejoo to sit beside her, but the latter decided standing was better. “Must be nice to have coffee in this cold morning.” 

“Ah this? It’s hot chocolate, but yeah. After waking up and realizing how cold it was I made myself a whole bottle.” She said, picking up a thermos that was set beside her to show it to Hyejoo. “You want some? You seem cold.” Chaewon asked, eyeing her carefully. “Oh, no thank you. I’m fine.” Hyejoo had stopped feeling cold a while ago, the fact that she was shoving her hands deep in her pockets was more because of how nervous she was about this whole thing. Knowing that she had to spend the next week or so with a total stranger still made her feel a little uncomfortable. But hey, at least she seemed nice. 

“Okay everyone!” The guide from earlier said, calling everyone to attention. “It seems that everyone was able to make it! We’re gonna start boarding one by one so line up with your tour buddy so we can take your luggage.” Hyejoo and Chaewon pulled their luggage and got in line, as they waited, Hyejoo noticed Chaewon had a big smile on her face, both her hands gripping her sweater tightly. Hyejoo chuckled “Excited?” Chaewon looked up at her, her cheeks shading a light pink. “Yeah, I know this tour isn’t exactly the getaway of a lifetime but I’ve always wanted to visit a tropical island. So I really just want to be there already.” Hyejoo hummed and nodded. “I wish I was half as excited as you I guess.” “You’re not?” Chaewon asked, a confused look on her face. “It’s a long story.” Hyejoo replied. Chaewon pursed her lips and nodded in understanding, deciding not to keep the conversation going. 

As they approached the door of the bus, the guides took their luggage and stored them, making sure they marked to who it belonged, and let Hyejoo and Chaewon board the bus. Walking down the isle towards the very last seats Hyejoo counted 16 people total, including her and Chaewon. Not as many people as I expected she thought, slipping through to make sure she sat by the window. As soon as the guides confirmed that everyone had boarded and started the bus, Hyejoo plugged in her headphones and let herself get lost on the road out the window. Besi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter