CHAPTER 6

Away With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejoo woke up early. Early enough to look over at the other bed and catch Chaewon still asleep, her back facing her. Today is the day she thought. Soon they'd both be up and heading to the amusement park Chaewon had suggested. For the first time she wasn't exactly nervous, although the mostly uneventful tour they had the day before had helped a lot. They had been taken for a viewing of an exhibition at a local museum, at which Chaewon stole Hyejoo’s jacket halfway through because it was colder than she thought it would be. 

They had both spent the day feeling like teenagers at their first escapade. Chaewon holding her hand hidden inside the jacket pocket, sneaking off like kids to the bathroom just to be alone, Hyejoo teasing about how she'd rather look at Chaewon instead of anything else. The guides might've maybe scolded them for whispering in the back too much, prompting them to keep enjoying the rest of the exhibition in silence, hands always interlocked.

The memories made Hyejoo smile to herself, her mind wondering how the rest of this day would turn out, which was already feeling bittersweet. It was their last day here. Tomorrow, they'd have a flight back to their respective lives, but Hyejoo didn't want to think about that at the moment. She didn't want to think about her empty apartment or her unfulfilling job. Instead, she sat up in bed and decided to get ready.

As she gathered her clothes for the day, a soft, sleepy voice spoke up behind her. “Good morning, Hyejoo…” and once again, Hyejoo couldn't stop her heart from exploding into a million butterflies. “Good morning, Chae.” Hyejoo turned around and offered a kind smile, taking in Chaewon's sleepy face staring back at her. 

“Sleep well?” Hyejoo asked and Chaewon smiled and nodded. “Ready for today?” She said while sitting up in bed, stretching her limbs and yawning, rubbing her eyes to try and get them to focus. Hyejoo was too busy watching the girl; it was when Chaewon eyed her questioningly that she realized she hadn't answered her. “Can't wait to head out.” Hyejoo was quiet for a second. “Hey, you should call room service and order us breakfast, my treat.” Chaewon tried to object but Hyejoo didn’t let her, saying it was fine because she had the company card. Breakfast arrived a little after they were both ready, and they enjoyed it in each other's company. Exchanging shy looks and gentle smiles, chatting away about the things they were to do later on.

They made sure to let their tour guides know where they’d be going and around how long they’d  stay before finally heading out. Chaewon held Hyejoo’s hand excitedly the whole way there, passing the excitement on to the taller one as the large ferris wheel slowly came into view. It was one of the highlights of the whole park, and Hyejoo appreciated it because it wasn't an intense ride like all the others. “Let’s save that for last.” Hyejoo suggested and, with a nod, Chaewon agreed. 

After getting their entry tickets and small map of the place, they sat down to plan out their route. The park was laid out around a lake, so they just had to choose where to start and make their way around. It wasn’t much of a challenge, since the ferris wheel stood at the left end of the park they decided to start off at the right. For being a small park, the spacious walkway made it seem bigger than it was. Various food stops and gift stores of different themes lined the edges, not far from both small rides and big roller coasters.  

Chaewon's eyes widened as she laid eyes on the first ride she wanted to go on. She pulled Hyejoo and pointed excitedly at the ride shaped like a boat, ‘The Viking’ was spelled out in big red letters at the entrance. While in line, Hyejoo watched the ride go, swinging from one side to the other, each time getting higher and higher. It almost looked like it was gonna spin the whole way upside down. Hyejoo’s heart started beating rapidly in her chest, she hadn't really ever gone on rides like these. Chaewon looked so excited for it that she didn't have the heart to leave her to ride alone. 

Even though she was trying to keep her composure, Chaewon felt Hyejoo's hand become clamier the closer to the front of the line they walked. “Hyejoo, are you okay?” Chaewon asked, genuinely worried. Hyejoo even looked a little pale “I...I've never really gone on rides like these before.” Hyejoo replied, almost low enough for Chaewon to not hear it. The blonde pouted out of worry and reassured the other girl by running her hand up and down her back. “You really don't have to ride it if you don't want to.” 

“I do. I do want to go.”

“Are you sure?” 

“I can't knock it until I try it. If it's too much then, I'll just not go on the others.”

“Ah, Hyejoo if I knew, I would've picked somewhere else to go.”

“No! It's okay, really. You're here, so that makes me feel more confident.” 

Chaewon smiled albeit still worried, but proceeded to stay close to Hyejoo as the gates in front of them opened to let them climb into their seats. Chaewon pulled Hyejoo to the seats closer to the middle, in order for her to feel a little safer. “Hold my hand!” Chaewon spoke up once the bars were lowered onto their laps, and that's exactly what Hyejoo did. She thought about how she probably hadn't held on to Chaewon that hard before.

The boat slowly started to swing back and forth, and Hyejoo felt her heart pumping in . Almost as if the ride went any higher she’d throw it up. She looked at Chaewon, and to her delight she was looking back, giving her a reassuring smile. A smile that sent calming waves through her whole body. Hyejoo convinced herself that it wasn't time to be scared, it was time to spend and enjoy this last day with Chaewon. 

As brave as she wanted to be, the higher the ride went the harder she squeezed her eyes shut. Beside her, Chaewon was laughing, waiting for the ride to reach its peak. “Hyejoo!” the girl yelled. Hyejoo’s arm wrapped tighter around the bar on her lap and she opened an eye to look at the blonde. “Let it out! Scream!” Chaewon had the hand Hyejoo wasn't holding on to as up in the air as possible. Letting go of the bar as the ship went down, faster each time. 

The ride was gonna reach its peak next swing, and Hyejoo, with all the courage she could muster, let out a loud scream as the boat swung down. Chaewon yelled beside her, and she felt all that pent up fear leave her body as she belted out. Again. And again. And again, every time the boat went down. Before she knew it, she found herself having a lot of fun, and when they got off she almost asked Chaewon if they could go again. 

The rest of the rides were enjoyable, although Hyejoo was never brave enough to raise her arms like Chaewon did. They went on one that dropped them once they reached 315 feet high. Hyejoo and Chaewon marveled at how they could see the whole park from a bird’s eye view. And then they dropped, and Hyejoo swears she almost passed out, but when she got off she was giddy with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter