CHAPTER 8

Away With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year. One year had passed since Hyejoo first laid eyes on Chaewon, sitting alone, drinking hot chocolate surrounded by the cool morning air. One year since they had overcome their nerves and held hands in the pitch black of the caverns. One year since their fateful kiss atop the ferris wheel, golden light covering the horizon. Many would believe being apart most of the time would create a rift in a relationship. This wasn't true for Hyejoo and Chaewon though, their feelings only managed to grow much much more. 

Every weekend they'd do whatever they could to see each other. Although there were some when they weren't able to meet up, most of the weekends were spent together. Hyejoo would meet Chaewon halfway, or Chaewon would stay over at Hyejoo's apartment and vice versa. Not being able to see each other on the week only made their longing stronger, and they'd usually agree that the weekend was never enough time. 

“How was your day at work?” Chaewon spoke from the other side of the phone. Hyejoo put her keys into the bowl at the entrance of her apartment, still adorned with the keychain that contained Chaewon’s initial. “It went as it always does.” Hyejoo replied. “Manager keeps giving me just cause, according to him, I look way too serious and angry. Apparently I have to look like I actually wanna work there.” 

“Again? It's not like anybody's watching you.”

“I think he just wants to pick on me for no reason. Getting real tired of him telling me I should smile more with that eating grin on his face.”

“Take deep breaths, baby. We get to see each other tomorrow.” 

Chaewon’s pet names never failed to make Hyejoo feel butterflies. She was sure the blonde knew she already had a smile plastered on her face at the mention of it. 

“What time am I supposed to drive over?” Hyejoo asked, trying to avoid Chaewon teasing her about how she couldn't stay mad when it came to her. 

“Can you come early? So we can eat breakfast together?” Hyejoo swore she could feel Chaewon pouting after asking those questions.

“Of course I can. I wouldn't miss a chance to spend more time with you.”

“Don't forget to bring your switch! I have a feeling I'll beat you at Smash this time around.”

“Keep dreaming, ChaCha.” Hyejoo said while letting out a soft chuckle. 

“Ah, I have to go. I promised Jiwoo I'd accompany her to watch a movie in a bit.”

“That's okay. Have fun, text me all about it when you're out.”

“I will. See you tomorrow, Hye!”

“See ya.” 

Then it happened again. That moment of dead air that felt like it lasted an eternity. As if they were both waiting for something that never came, and this time wasn't the exception. The line went dead after that awkward pause and Hyejoo walked into the kitchen to prepare herself some instant ramen as an excuse for dinner. 

Tomorrow she would see Chaewon again. Staring down into her food she wondered if Chaewon remembered it was their anniversary too. Well, the anniversary of when they met. A day like this a year ago Hyejoo was driving towards what she thought would be a trip equivalent to a waste of time. She was grateful for how everything ended up turning out instead. 

Cleaning up after herself she walked to her room to pack up for the weekend since she was staying at Chaewon’s apartment for the night. While doing so, Hyejoo took a small white box from her nightstand and sat on her bed, opening it carefully. Inside it, laying on soft padding, sat a silver bracelet, with three small, delicate beads decorating it. One shone as silver as the bracelet and on either side of it two teal beads gave it a spark of color. During a playful conversation between them they had assigned each other colors, which is why Hyejoo had picked this bracelet out for her as an anniversary gift. She closed the box and took a deep breath, already second guessing if Chaewon would like it or not. She decided to shake the negative thoughts away and proceeded to pack it carefully in a place it wouldn’t get ruined.   

After having everything prepared to head out early the next day, Hyejoo got ready for bed. It didn't take her much to fall asleep this time around. She remembered how the excitement of seeing Chaewon would keep her up for hours on the first weeks, but she learned quickly that the sooner she fell asleep the faster time would go by. She shot Chaewon a goodnight text message and peacefully drifted off to sleep after seeing Chaewon’s 'goodnight <3’ reflected on her screen. 

She was up earlier than usual the next morning, waking up before her alarm even went off. After getting ready, the first thing she did was send Chaewon a text message telling her she was on her way, which she received no reply to. It was to be expected considering it was five in the morning, but still, that didn't stop her from taking her bags and heading out to Chaewon's apartment. 

Hyejoo thought about how the roads had already grown so familiar to her. Almost every weekend she would go to and fro, passing by the same buildings, watching how they'd space out the further she drove, the bustling city disappearing behind her. Hyejoo had to admit she preferred it much more when she stayed over at Chaewon’s. The density of the people in the city was nowhere to be seen, her apartment was more spacious than Hyejoo’s, and even just walking around her flower shop there was always this sense of peace, like she could finally just relax. Although the biggest reason she felt so at home was because of Chaewon herself. 

Hyejoo smiled at that thought. Home. It felt almost foreign to call a place home. Ever since she left her own to study, then moving into the city after finding a job. She couldn't say she ever felt like her apartment was a place she could call home. But this time around she found it, not in a place, but in someone, and everything around her emanated that same feeling. 

Hyejoo watched Chaewon’s building come into view after the long two hour drive. The streets were still fairly empty, the flower shop still closed. With her bags now in hand, Hyejoo made her way up to Chaewon's front door. Sending her a text message announcing that she was here, she knocked on the door and waited. Nobody answered. Hyejoo knocked once more just in case but took out the key Chaewon had given her in case of emergencies, which she ended up using since the door wasn’t answered once again. Making her way inside, she tried to be as quiet as possible. She set her bag aside and walked over to open the door to Chaewon’s room. Turning the handle slowly and peeking inside, she saw exactly what she was expecting to see. 

Chaewon laid on her bed, curled up on her side still sleeping, the stuffed Kirby Hyejoo had won her a year ago being held tight in her embrace. She looked peaceful, the morning light already beginning to find its way through the window. Hyejoo walked inside, making sure to step softly so as to not wake her up. Gently, she lowered herself and placed a soft kiss on Chaewon’s forehead. She smiled, thinking to herself how much things had changed in a year. If she ever had to be thankful for her job, it would be for making her go on the trip that brought her to Chaewon. Silently, she stood up again and walked out of the room, closing the door gently behind her.

 

***

 

The sweet smell of pancakes wafting into Chaewon’s room was what roused her from sleep. She groaned and rubbed her eyes, trying to grab on to consciousness enough to figure out where the smell was coming from. She yawned, sat up in bed and stretched, breathing in the sweet aroma, deciding to get up and check it out. Opening her door she saw a familiar suitcase standing in the hallway, bringing a smile to her face as she paced a little faster towards the kitchen. Hyejoo was standing by the stove, back facing her, cooking up another batch of pancakes to accompany the ones already waiting on a plate. Chaewon approached her from behind and wrapped her arms around her waist, pressing herself against Hyejoo’s back, taking in the subtle smell of perfume she had grown to love over the past year. 

“Good morning, Chae” Hyejoo spoke up, still tending to their breakfast. “I was supposed to bring this to your room so you could have breakfast in bed but I guess I’ve been caught.”

“Hyejoo..” Chaewon’s voice was softer than usual, but Hyejoo could still feel how love seemed to pour out of her voice with something as simple as saying her name. Hyejoo hummed, setting the pair of pancakes she was making on a new plate. She turned off the stove and wriggled in Chaewon’s arms so she could face her. 

“Good morning” Chaewon finally answered, looking up at Hyejoo. She didn’t even let Hyejoo speak before she was on her toes meeting her lips in a kiss. She was so grateful for all of this. Being able to wake up to breakfast being made by the person you think of as your soulmate, working the job of your dreams, a life surrounded by people who love and care for you, how could things get any better? Hyejoo leaned away from Chaewon and cupped her face when she gave her a pout. “Breakfast is gonna get cold.” Hyejoo mentioned, pressing a chaste kiss onto Chaewon’s lips once more. At this, Chaewon smiled and turned to set up the table so they could eat. 

“So, what do you wanna do today?” Chaewon asked as they sat down. 

“I was thinking we could visit the botanical garden you love going to.” 

Chaewon's eyes lit up with excitement. “Yeah! We haven't been there in a while, huh?” she took a big bite of her pancakes, stuffing her cheeks, kinda making herself look like a squirrel. 

Hyejoo chuckled. “Calm down, the garden isn't going anywhere.” Hyejoo reached over and took Chaewon’s hand in hers, holding it over the table. 

Gulping her food carefully, Chaewon noticed something in Hyejoo’s eyes. It was almost like she was still missing her even when she was sitting on the other side of the table. Seeing that look on her face made her want to ignore breakfast altogether and just spend the rest of the day holding Hyejoo in her arms. She squeezed Hyejoo’s hand and smiled, trying to give her some form of reassurance, deciding to finish breakfast so they could go out and enjoy the day. 

Hyejoo waited by the door for Chaewon to finish getting ready. Closing her room door behind her and taking out her keys, Chaewon walked out with Hyejoo, locking her front door. They were descending the stairs when Chaewon decided she would check how the flower shop was doing since it had opened a few minutes ago. Walking inside, Hyejoo followed close behind her. It wasn't the first time she had seen the shop, by now she was a little familiar with how it ran and had met Chaewon’s best friend Jiwoo. The girl had been appointed manager and ran the store alongside Chaewon, occasionally handling the reins all by herself, as was the case that day. 

“Hyejoo!” Jiwoo exclaimed when she saw the taller girl walk in. She wasted no time in hugging Hyejoo as a greeting, her attitude as bright as ever. 

“Hey, Jiwoo. How are you?” Hyejoo asked, trying to inconspicuously escape her hug. 

“I've been great, thank you for asking! It's so nice to see you again.” 

“Jiwoo, you literally saw her last week.” Chaewon said, fixing some of the arrangements that were supposed to be delivered throughout the day. 

Before Jiwoo could say anything, someone came out of the back of the store with more arrangements than they could carry in hand. Hyejoo quickly moved over to lighten the load, only to be met with an unfamiliar face. 

“Ah, Hyejoo! This is Sooyoung. When we decided to expand to a delivery system I hired her.” Chaewon explained. “Sooyoung, this is my girlfriend Hyejoo.”

“Nice to meet you, Hyejoo.” Sooyoung greeted her nervously.

“Likewise.” Hyejoo replied. “Where are you carrying these to? I'll give you a hand.”

“The van is right outside, I appreciate the help.” Sooyoung said. Walking towards the door guiding Hyejoo to the van. 

Chaewon and Jiwoo watched them walk out. Jiwoo turned around to find Chaewon squinting at her. “Checking out the new girl much?” She teased.

“Wh-What? No! What are you saying!” Jiwoo replied, waving her hands around and doing a terrible job trying to hide her panic. 

Chaewon hummed at her with a suspicious tone. “I’ll be keeping an eye on you. No slacking off on the job!” She hit Jiwoo’s arm playfully. Jiwoo was a stuttering mess, not even knowing how to reply to that, causing Chaewon to laugh at her.

“I’ll be heading out now, Jiwoo. You’re good holding the fort until noon?” Chaewon asked, trying to bring the girl back into normality.

“When have I not been able to? I've closed up by myself a million times by now.” Jiwoo replied, confidence a little restored.

They bid each other goodbye and Chaewon walked out of the store, catching Hyejoo loading the last of the arrangements with Sooyoung. Sooyoung thanked her once again for the help and waved at her boss before walking over to the driver’s side and setting out on her daily deliveries. Chaewon walked arm in arm with Hyejoo towards her car, leaning her head on the taller one’s shoulder. “So you’ve been expanding huh?” Hyejoo asked. 

“Yeah, we’ve been getting way more business ever since we started doing deliveries. I’ve been thinking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter