Happiness

ONE-SHOT COLLECTION
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyeon looked at the card in her hand. The card arrived late that evening as the postman visited her house around that time. It has been years since she received anything from the postman. Today, she received an invitation card from her college. It’s a reunion for the alumni.

“What is it?”

Sooyeon turned to her husband. Jaehyun was laying on the sofa while watching the television. Sooyeon walked to Jaehyun and passed the card to him.

“Reunion? You want to go?” Jaehyun gave the card back to Sooyeon.

“If you come along then it won’t be so awkward.”

“Why would I go to your college’s reunion.” Jaehyun gave Sooyeon a weird glance.

“Well…” Sooyeon looked at the card again.

“You don’t even like that college.”

“It has been 20 years…”

“So?”

“Well…”

“What? You want to flaunt me as your achievement? You don’t have anything to show them anyway, right? You are jobless.” Jaehyun stood and walked away.

Sooyeon was speechless. She looked at Jaehyun who was changing his clothe.

“You’re a middle-aged woman who has nothing except for a husband.”

Sooyeon bit her lips. This wasn’t the first time Jaehyun has insulted her.

“Please don’t have a mindset like that. It’s pathetic.” Jaehyun said before leaving the small apartment.

Sooyeon watched the door before she sighed and went to her room. She was used to such commentary from Jaehyun. His words were no more than words to her. Sooyeon couldn’t care less although sometimes Jaehyun went overboard.

Sooyeon looked at the information written on the card. She traced the school’s logo before smiling and nodding to herself.

//

‘WELCOME TO THE 3rd REUNION CEREMONY DEAR ALUMNI’

Sooyeon looked at the banner and went to que behind some people who is waiting for their turn to enter the hall. Truthfully, during the first and the second reunion, Sooyeon didn’t get the invitation. She only knew about the ceremony from the college’s Facebook group.

Sooyeon handed her invitation card. The young woman stamped the card and gave the card back to Sooyeon.

“Your table should be at that corner.” The young woman said and Sooyeon nodded.

To attend the reunion, Sooyeon had to buy her seat. She chose the cheapest seat. The table was still empty. Sooyeon has predicted that. People would be embarrassed to sit at the cheapest table. Sooyeon didn’t care. She took her seat and looked around.

There are some familiar faces and Sooyeon could only smiled from afar. She didn’t expect anyone to greet her anyway. She was a lone ranger during her college days. She didn’t have any clique. Only acquaintances which she worked with when there’s group assessments.

“Okay, dear guests, you can take your seat.” The mc said from the stage.

Sooyeon just smiled to the people who took a seat at the table. Sooyeon didn’t recognize any of them, so she just stayed put and looked at the stage. Just then, Sooyeon’s eyes caught a face.

The man was smiling while talking to his friends. He still looked the same. There was no sign of aging on his face. His eyes were still sparkling like it used to be. His lips were still red and plump. His skin…

Sooyeon looked away as a sense of realization knocked her. She took a deep breath and looked straight to the stage. The mc began the ceremony with a speech, talking about whatnots. After a while, the guests were invited to take their food at the buffet table except for those who paid for VIP tables. Sooyeon queued. She smiled to the people who smiled at her. None of them exchanged any greetings with her. They simply smile and left. Sooyeon was somewhat glad. She was not good at talking anyway. She has always been the quiet girl with few words to spare for others.

Taking her food, Sooyeon went back to her seat. She sat down and began eating.

“Sooyeon?”

Sooyeon looked up. She smiled and nodded. The man smiled too.

“You’re alone?” the man sat down beside Sooyeon.

“Yes.”

“Oh…you husband?”

“He’s busy.”

The man nodded.

“Hmm…I’m here with my wife. She went to the ladies for a while.”

“Oh.” Sooyeon didn’t know how to retaliate.

“Mind if I introduce her to you? I mean, are you okay with that?”

“Sure, why not.” Sooyeon replied.

“There she is. Tiffany, here.” Yul waved at a woman.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter