Chapter 22

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There is a part of us that knows the timing of any relationship. It knows things that we cannot work out. It knows when to say yes. It knows when to say no. It knows when to wait. It knows when something has finished. It knows when something has started.

It’s always about timing. If it’s too soon, no one understands. If it’s too late, everyone’s forgotten. But time does not wait for one to realise the timing. We move in time and sometimes our timing is against one another.

 

 

Hyewon waited for Yujin and Yena after school. They had respected her wishes in giving her time. Although it took some convincing. She waved her hand, catching the two’s attention. She got into the car followed by Yujin and Yena, both sitting in the back.

“One of you could have sat in the front you know” Hyewon said glancing at the two through the rear-view mirror

Yujin propped her chin on her palm, as she looked out the window, “Isn’t that reserved for Minju?”

“As far as we know your closer to her than with us,” Yena scoffs

Hyewon could hear the abrasiveness in their tone, but she decided to stay silent. The two were always more short-tempered than her. It was best to let them calm down first before letting them know everything.

She parked the car out of Doyeon’s shop. “We’re here”

Yujin looked up reading the storefront, “What are we doing here?”

Yena placed her hand on the car door, not wanting to spare another minute in the car with Hyewon. But Hyewon locked the door before she could open it.

“We’re not done yet, we still need to talk,” Hyewon said sternly

She began telling them everything, little by little. They stayed silent the whole time, giving her all of their attention. Listening to every word she had to say. Hyewon’s face grew sombre with every word she said, her tone became genuine.

She learned with time that when you ask a certain question again and again, the answer will appear. However, the answer arrives according to its own mysterious celestial timing, and often in disguise. It comes in a way you’re not prepared for, or don’t want, or can’t accept at first.

Frustrations and anger she once had with Chaeyeon had faded with time. She’s been told over and over to move on, but you won’t until your ready. And one day she woke up and realised that this wasn’t what she wanted to feel like anymore.

In letting go, we learn that some people only come into your life to teach you how to move on, to teach you exactly who you shouldn’t hold on to. Love is like a rubber band, it hurts to hold on when the other let’s go.

“But I don’t want you blaming Chaeyeon or anyone. If you want to blame someone you can blame me. But I don’t wish the same pain inflicted on me onto another. It was a lesson I had to learn”

Hyewon exhaled slowly, looking back at the two. They hadn’t said a word since she started.

“Unnie, was it hard?” Yujin asked, meeting Hyewon’s gaze through the mirror

“Letting go?” Yujin nodded

“Not as hard as holding onto something that was real,” Hyewon smiled

Hyewon unlocked the car, and another silence fell over them before Hyewon went out of the car first. She got a few steps before she got tackled to the floor by Yena and Yujin jumping on her back giving her a tight hug.

Showering her with praises and apologies, Hyewon laughed along with them. Tapping their shoulders to let go of her. From an outsider it would appear as they were cousins teasing one another, enjoying life as young and naïve children. But in reality, it was the return of a bright, warm smile that had been lost.

 

 

Hyewon parked her car a couple of blocks away from Eunbi’s house. She desperately wanted to talk to Eunbi, but she didn’t know how to - or if she wanted to talk to her. She looked at the small stack of notes and practice books.

She remembers Eunbi not being fond of reading, and maybe her notes would help her with their upcoming finals and college exams. She lets out a sigh, realising she has reached the age where she has to worry about these things. And within a few months they’d all be moving on with their lives.

Although Eunbi and her weren’t on speaking terms, she still thought about her every waking moment. She wanted to help Eunbi, or at least be able to ease the load, even if it was something as simple as giving her some notes and practice books.

She grabbed her mask and hat to hide her face. She wanted to talk to Eunbi, but she respected Eunbi’s wishes in giving her space. She would wait until Eunbi is ready for them to talk. It was going to be a quick mission, leave it on her front door with a small post it note. Then leave right after.

Walking a few blocks, she finally reached Eunbi’s house, standing right out the front. But there was a halt in her plans when she saw Eunbi through the window. She was studying. It made Hyewon smile, seeing Eunbi trying her best. Although it was clear she was struggling, evident by the ruffling of her hair and throwing her pencil.

“Hyewon?”

Hyewon turned her head to the voice, she had been caught. “Chaewon?”

Chaewon smiled, coming closer and looking up to where Hyewon was previously looking at. “What are you doing here?”

Her face was deceiving as her tone was not welcoming

“I’m guessing you know?”

Chaewon nodded her head.

Hyewon exhaled slowly, looking down at the ground “Well then I’ll get going” she said before turning around back towards her car

“Wait”

Hyewon stopped. Turning her head to face the girl again, tilting her head in curiosity.

“Let’s have ice cream” Chaewon said turning towards Hyewon

The older furrowed her eyebrows at Chaewon’s sudden request. But she nodded her head, following Chaewon to a near supermart. Picking out their ice creams out of the freezer. Hyewon’s grimaced, seeing the flavour Chaewon picked out; Mint Chocolate.

“Don’t like Mint Choco?” Chaewon asked

Hyewon nodded her head, “Minju hates it too”

Hyewon walked away towards the counter, but the comment didn’t go unnoticed by Chaewon. They took a seat in front of the window, opening their ice creams. Chaewon looked at the books Hyewon was carrying. Seeing how they were all sources for their upcoming exams.

"Are these yours?” Chaewon asked, pointing at the stack of books.

“No, they’re for someone else”

“They’re lucky to get such goods practice books” Chaewon says, taking a bite out of her ice cream

“They would be if they got it from someone else”

There was a nonchalance in her tone that Chaewon couldn’t tell if Hyewon was being sarcastic or serious at all. She hid her feelings well.

Another silence fell over them once again. Sitting together watching the street, they had sat alone in silence the whole time they didn’t realise they had already finished their ice cream.

“If you want to talk to Minju, you should just do it. I don’t mind,” Hyewon said, not looking at Chaewon.

Her eyes out on the lamppost outside the window, with her hands clasped together. Chaewon noticed the sudden hardness on the girl’s features.

“So I can talk to her?”

“Are you asking me for permission?”

Hyewon turned to Chaewon as the younger nodded her head

“Just as I am her girlfriend I do not own her, I do not choose who she can and cannot talk to or what she can or cannot do. No one is telling you to not talk to her except for yourself. But just as she is your soulmate and you are hers. You do not own one another”

Although her face showed no expression, her eyes told a different story. It was a warning to Chaewon. She would have to choose her next words carefully to not anger Hyewon. The last time she had confronted Hyewon it had not gone in her favour, although she was the one who instigated it.

“I won’t overstep my boundaries”

She received a hum of approval from Hyewon. The older slid the stack of books over to her. She saw a purple post it note on the top.

Let’s do well on our exams!

That was all that she had written on the note. Chaewon looked up at Hyewon with a puzzled look at why she suddenly gave her the books.

“When you see Eunbi, give these to her for me” Hyewon smiled politely before getting up from her seat “I’ll see your around Chaewon” without another word Hyewon left the supermart leaving Chaewon alone with the books.

 

\\

 

Chaewon knocked on Eunbi’s door and within a few minutes Eunbi answered the door.

“What took you so long? I’ve been waiting for an hour!” Eunbi yelled.

Pushing Chaewon inside, upset that Chaewon was late to their study lesson. They continued on with their planned study session. Chaewon didn’t give Eunbi the books from Hyewon until she left, believing it was a personal matter between the two.

Although Eunbi had filled her in, she had left some things out. As she didn’t know much more than the reason why Eunbi decided not to talk to Hyewon. She was missing the bigger picture, but she knew it was best to not push. As she would have to resolve her own problems first. She handed the books over to the Eunbi just as she was about to go, leaving out the name of who it was from.

As she handed it to Eunbi, it seemed she didn’t need to know who it was from. Eunbi knew instantly when she read the sticky note on top. It was the penmanship she had read many times, although it was barely legible.

Eunbi brought the gift up to her room, looking through the notes Hyewon had given her. Hyewon had so kindly given her the best practical book brands for all different subjects - especially English and literature. Hyewon knew Eunbi never had a taste for those subjects, unlike herself.

In the books, Hyewon had notes attached on the side. As Eunbi looked at more, she noticed how Hyewon had typed it all out. Hyewon could have easily written down everything or photocopy her own notes, but she had bought her new books and type out additional notes. For the convenience of Eunbi being able to have her own copies and be able to read her notes.

“Sakura was right, you really do have a way with your actions,” Eunbi mumbled, trying to stop her smile

It was an unnecessary step to do all these things. But Hyewon did it, and much more. Once again it showed Eunbi that there are more ways in showing your affection for someone, ones where you don’t even have to exchange a single word between one another.

 

 

The cousins were called to their parents’ office at the hospital one day after school. Filing into the room, seeing their parents seated across from them, holding each other’s hand. Squeezing it unable to hold their excitement anymore.

“I can’t wait anymore I’ll tell them” Mr Kang said cheerfully opening his drawer and pulling out to envelopes.

He set the envelopes down in front of the family “These came in today, while you were at school”

The cousins leaned forward, scanning over the returning address. Yena gasped when she saw the logo in front of the address. She glanced over at the other letter and she could feel a lump form in . It was their acceptance letters.

As expected from students who are in their last of year of highschool. They all apply to colleges where they would hopefully find their calling, and their future jobs. It was the beginning of a new era and the end of an old one.

Two children coming from a high class family, they applied abroad. Most specifically, the States. It wasn’t uncommon for their family as many of their relatives have studied their as well, and just like their parents Hyewon applied to Harvard for medical. In aims of graduating and returning to be the head of her own hospital one day. Yena on the other hand applied to Northeastern University for social science, in hopes to be an economist.

"Are you kids just going to stare at them all day?” Mrs Kang joked, trying to ease the two’s nerves

“Open them! Open them!” Yujin exclaimed shaking their shoulders, unable to take the suspense of their results

They both picked up their envelopes, opening it. Counting down together before they read it 3… 2… 1…

Looking up from their letters Yena and Hyewon looked at each other first, there were no expressions shown on their faces. They turned to face Mr and Mrs Kang, their was a suffocating suspense as the family waited for their answers. Looking intently at one another.

“I got in!” They said in unison getting up from their seats

Yena jumped up in the air out of excitement, Yujin jumped on Hyewon’s back happy that they had gotten into their first picks. Their parents came in engulfing the three into a group hug, congratulating them in their new achievement.

“We’re gonna get another Harvard alumni in our family” Mr Kang laughed

It was where he met Mrs Kang, one day in one of Harvad’s many outdoor seatings. They were more excited that Hyewon would now go to the school where their dreams and love first began. It was now her time to make and create new memories.

“We have to go out and celebrate!” Mrs Kang yelled earning a cheer from everyone

“We’re so proud of you two” Mr Kang said pulling the two into another hug “You two grew up so well”

 

 

Eunbi impulsively went to the house of Hyewon’s grandma. There wasn’t a reach behind it, unlike her first visit. She rang the doorbell of the estate, and soon after Hyewon’s grandmother opened the door. Engulfing her into a tight hug.

“It’s been so long since I saw you Eunbi” She said warmly, inviting Eunbi inside “How is school going? Hyewon told me your exams are coming up”

Eunbi’s ears perked up at the mention of Hyewon’s name “Hyewon mentioned me?”

Her grandmother smiled, seeing Eunbi’s sudden excitement at the mention of her granddaughter’s name. It was something so small, but vulnerable. She nodded her head and Eunbi’s smile only grew wider.

“She always talks about you”

“Speaking of Hyewon… I was wondering if she was here,” Eunbi dragged out

“I’m sorry dear, she doesn’t visit this time of the year”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to be insensitive”

“It’s okay you aren’t the first, someone else is here too,” She smiles leading Eunbi into the living room

Eunbi saw Chaeyeon on the couch shyly waving at her. Hyewon’s grandma noticed the sudden tense atmosphere around Eunbi. She smiled, excusing herself. The two would need some time alone to talk - although she had an urge to eavesdrop on why such girls were suddenly looking for her granddaughter, especially when they could have talked over the phone.

“Are you looking for Hyewon too?” Eunbi asked, taking a seat in front of Chaeyeon on the opposing couch

She saw Chaeyeon in a different light, after knowing the whole story. She didn’t feel it was necessary to hold it against her, however she didn’t accept what she had done either. She realises that much like her Chaeyeon was naïve and ignorant to the true nature of soulmates.

“I’m guessing you know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter