Chapter 2

Not you, too.

About 6 months later, the café had been doing so well. Seulgi has dedicated her time to the café, she is good friends with all the staff. Staff are all compensated properly and nobody is over worked.

 

Seulgi has not tried to paint and even sing since Minhyuk’s death. She just doesn’t have the courage to do so.

 

The Velvet Café in Hwayang-dong is also going well. Her parents have coped up well. Whenever she come home, they always talk about the events of the day. They are doing fine. But her parents have noticed Seulgi has not been talking about painting or singing. And she has become quiet. But she assured her parents that she is fine.


She sometimes try to draw whatever that comes to her mind. But whenever she draw the first line, curve or shape, her hands then suddenly shake and she will freeze, drop the pen and then cry silently.

 

---

 

16 months passed since Minhyuk’s death and she is still the same.. She hasn’t tried to draw again. She has not tried. But she is fine, that’s what she tells her parents and friends. The café is doing well..


One fine day, Seulgi is taking charge of the counter. Yugyeom is cleaning one table, Wendy is in the, Yeri is running late, it is supposed to be her shift in the morning but she has an errand that’s why she is late. And Joohyun has asked for a 3 month leave she needed to go back to her hometown, Daegu because her grandparent’s business is inherited to her.



3 guys entered the café. One of them took notice of Yugyeom first. The other two went to look at the menu.


“Gyeom?” as he approached Yugyeom.


“Oh? Hyung! Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Velvet Café owned by Seulgi” Yugyeom looked up to the one who called him. And high-fived the guy.


“So this is where you are working. Mianhe, I’ve been busy in the studio that I was dragged by this two to go out.. What a nice café” as he looked around. Yugyeom smiled and went in the kitchen


“JB! What would you like?” one of the guy, Jinyoung, asked JB.


“I’ll just have iced Americano.” JB settled himself on the table for four.


“Yah JB-hyung, you haven’t eaten anything.” The other guy, Jackson said.


“Let’s just order something for take-out we need to get to the airport immediately after this.” Jinyoung motioned to the counter.


“Ah Miss, we’ll have 1 tuna burger, 2 kimbap and 4 Iced Americano, all for take-out please.” Jinyoung politely told Seulgi.

 

Iced Americano – 3000 won
Kimbap – 3000 won

Tuna burger – 4000 won


“Okay, that will be 22,000 won in total.” Seulgi punch in their order and the guy hand in his card.


“Please wait a while for your order sir. Thank you.” Handing back the guy’s card.


Seulgi passed the food orders to Yugyeom in the kitchen. And prepared the iced Americano. Yugyeom and Wendy worked on the order.


JB’s phone suddenly rang..he picked up. “Yah! Have you arrived? What do you mean you are waiting for an hour? Yah! Why are you shouting?”. The two other guys just looked at each other and laughed, they already know who is calling.


“Hyung let me talk to him.” Jackson grabbing the phone from JB.


“hyung! What’s up man! Hahaha. Alright just chillax and wait for us there. Calm your horses down!” Jackson playfully talked on the phone in English.


A desk bell rang, indicating the orders are ready. The 3 guys stood up and took the orders. And hurried out.


“Come back next time hyung!” Yugyeom called out to JB. And went back in the kitchen

JB turned around and about to look at Yugyeom but he found Seulgi standing and staring at the door.

 

‘aish that kid.. woah… beautiful.’

 

 

 


“Hyung! Yah, Im Jaebeom!” he stood frozen, he is being called out by Jackson. JB snapped out and went outside.


“JB hyung. What happened to you? Haha why are you looking at the barista?” teased Jinyoung.


JB just shrugged and went inside the car to go to the airport and pick up their American friend who’s been waiting at the airport, who is finally coming home after his 3 month leave in California.

 

At the airport…

 

Finally! What took you so long? I almost had to take a taxi to go to GOT7 Studios” Mark dragging his suitcase to JB’s car.


They all settled in the car. Mark sat on the shot gun seat.


“Woah, thank you for bringing me food.. WOW! This Iced Americano tastes great, huh. Where you bought this?” Mark sipping the drink they bought.


“And this kimbap! Woah. It tastes goooood. I haven’t eaten Korean food in California.” He added while eating the kimbap.


“Maybe you just missed us bro. hahaha!” Jackson took a bite of his tuna burger he almost finished it in 3 bites. And drank his Iced Americano.


“woah, daebak! This is really good. Jinjja! I swear!” he said after finishing his food.


“Daebak! Their food is so good. Their iced Americano is also a top notch. “ Jinyoung agreeing with Mark and Jackson.


‘Are they exaggerating this? We just bought regular food and regular iced Americano that is found in almost every coffee shop in Gangnam.’ JB thought to himself. He can’t drink his coffee yet because he is their designated driver.


“Jaebeom-hyung, try the coffee. Try the coffee made by that cute barista..” teased Jackson.


“Yeah hyung, try the coffee that cute barista made..” Jinyoung added. Mark just laughed at JB who is getting irritated.


“Yah! I’m driving.. When we get to a stop I’ll drink it, okay? Stop with all the teasing.” JB said to shut them up. But they just continue laughing.


They were caught up at a stop sign in an intersection, the 3 silently observed JB as he took a sip of his coffee.

 

‘hmmm.. They really do tell the truth. This is a great tasting coffee. I’ve never had this one before.’ JB thought to himself.


“So hyung…?” Jackson said breaking the silence.


“Fine, this is one of a kind. That barista sure did something with our drinks.” JB responded wondering.


“That CUTE barista? What’s her name?” Mark teased.


“Mark hyung, we didn’t catch her name as we were in a hurry to go to the airport to fetch you. But JB hyung’s cousin Yugyeom is working there. We can go there again though?” Jinyoung chimed in with the teasing.


“Yah, let’s get Mark settled in his apartment first.” JB said as they are near Mark’s apartment where the four of them are also residing.


“Then we get to go to the Café hyung?” Jackson teased. They have arrived at the apartment.


“You can all go there if you want but I will go straight to the studio.” JB said as the three went out of the car.


“Hyung let’s get lunch there. You haven’t eaten yet. We are just teasing you. hahaha” Jinyoung laughed.


“Just wait for me here Jaebeom-ah, I’ll just bring my suitcase upstairs and we will go together to the studio and to the Café with a cute barista.” Mark laughed. JB is starting to get pissed.


“Fine, fine.” JB just frowned. He doesn’t like to be teased.


“We are just trying to make you laugh hyung. By the way, how’s it going for Jennie’s solo?” Jackson said as he and Jinyoung entered the car again. This time he sat in the shot gun seat.

 

“I don’t know. I am getting impatient. She has a lot of demands on her 4th album. It was already finished. She just have to sing the songs.” JB annoyingly said. He just looked at the road.


“But you always do what she demands hyung. Even if you had to do everything from the start that gets you worked up, dead tired and angry, you still do what she wants.” Jinyoung said confused at what JB is acting now.


“Because he loves her bro. Even if they broke up already 2 years ago” Jackson said looking at JB.

 

Then there was silence…


“Yah, what happened to all of you,” Mark entered the car. The three just shrugged. JB started the engine and drove to the GOT7 Studios.


GOT7 Studios is owned by JB’s father. His father retired and then left the ownership to him. JB offered his 3 other friends if they would like to work with the studio. He and Mark are friends from high school. He and Jinyoung were classmates in college. And Jackson is Mark’s best friend. They all clicked together thus having such a strong brotherhood. They are now co-managing the studio. It is not just a recording studio. It is like an entertainment company, they just didn’t change the name in honor of JB’s father. JB composes and produces the songs.


They arrived at the studio, Mark went straight to his office. Im Nayeon is waiting for his brother.


“JB-oppa!” Nayeon went to hug her brother.


“Yah Nabong-ah!” JB teased.

 

“Annyeong Nayeon-ah!” Jinyoung smiled warmly to her.


“A- annyeong Jin-nyoung oppa.” Nayeon blushed.


“Yah nabong-ah, why are you blushing? Do you like Nyongie?” Jackson teased. Jinyoung blushed and looked away.


“Stop that. I’ll go inside my office first.” JB said leaving them.


“How’s work at the hospital?” Jinyoung asked. Nayeon is a nurse at the Pedia section. Jackson left quietly while the two wrapped up in their own world.


“It’s fine oppa. Babies are cute. Some kids are just annoying. Some are funny. I was scolded yesterday for laughing at a kid who cried while getting his flu shot. He had this funny face while trying to look like he isn’t afraid of the injection.” Nayeon laughed while telling Jinyoung.


Jinyoung smiled at her. He feels his cheeks turned red because of staring too long at Nayeon.


“Have you had your lunch yet?”Jinyoung motioned for them to sit at the sofa designated for visitors.


“Hmm not yet, that’s why I’m here. Hehe” Nayeon sheepishly said.
“I was about to talk to Jaebeom oppa about the dinner with Jennie later. Jennie invited me. And I want to ask him if he would allow me since you know, it is just out of the blue that she would invite me. She never invites anybody to dinner without asking for something. I can’t just talk this with him over the phone. You know how he is with these kind of information.” Nayeon babbled to Jinyoung.


“Would you like it if I come with you? I mean I can just wait for you, I can be your designated driver for tonight. I am curious about what she wants. Tell your brother I’ll come with you. Jennie’s been driving him crazy over the songs already. I doubt it if he will allow you to go alone.” Jinyoung then smiled to her.


“Jinjja Nyong-oppa? Thank you!” Nayeon held Jinyoung’s hand and squeezed it tightly. Jinyoung just smiled. His heart is beating fast.


“No worries nabong-ah.” He smiled. He is blushing.


“Eeeey! Look at you Nyongie. Blushing for Nabong” Jackson popped out suddenly.


“Yah Jackson oppa! I’m starving. Let’s get lunch!” Nayeon stood up.


“Let’s get JB hyung and Mark hyung. Let’s eat at the café where there is a cute barista” Jinyoung said. Nayeon frowned.


They arrived at the Velvet Café owned by Seulgi. they rode JB’s car, Mark on the shot gun seat, Nayeon-Jinyoung-Jackson at the back.


The place is packed. Luckily when they entered, a group of 6 person are exiting the café, they occupied immediately their seat.


“Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Velvet Café owned by Seulgi.” Youngjae welcomed them and handed them the menu once they settled.


“woah! This place looks nice…” Nayeon is amazed at the shop’s interior. She spotted the family portrait and thought the younger guy and girl looked familiar to her. But she just shrugged it off.


“Yah JB, is that the cute barista they are talking about?” Mark pointed at the girl in counter. JB looked at where Mark is pointing and shook his head. Mark broke out a smile because she found the girl pretty.


They told Youngjae what they would like to order. And Mark asked who is at the counter, he learned her name is Son Wendy. ‘Son? Hmmm, there are only a few Son’s I know, hmmm’ Mark thought to himself.


Youngjae is on his way to the counter, when Seulgi entered the Café, she went behind the counter and hugged Wendy. She is crying. Youngjae knows why so he didn’t ask.


It is Minhyuk’s birthday today. Seulgi went to visit her brother.


Seulgi noticed that a lot of customers are looking at her. She went inside the CR. Wendy prepared for the customers’ orders. Yugyeom is helping her. Joy’s shift is at 2pm. Yongjae is serving the other customer’s orders. Yeri is manning the counter.


Few minutes later, JB’s group’s order arrived. Yugyeom is helped by Yeri to serve their order.


“Gyeomie! I didn’t know you work here.” Nayeon smiled at Yugyeom.


“Hi noona! Hi Mark-hyung! They were here early this morning” Yugyeom pointed at the 3 guys who went earlier in the Café.


“Yeah, do you mind if I ask, who was the ‘cute’ barista who made their coffee?” Mark asked Yugyeom.


Yugyeom looked at Yeri, Yeri shrugged.


“Oh, it was Seulgom-noona” Yugyeom answered.

 

“Yah, Gyeomie, only close friends are allowed to call her that, Sorry, her name is Kang Seulgi.” Yeri nudged Yugyeom and answered to Mark..


“ah yeah, Enjoy your food.” Yugyeom scratched his nape and then he and Yeri left their table.


“hmm? Seulgom, what a cute nickname” JB mumbled.


“A cute nickname for a cute barista, got ya there Jaebeom hyung” Jackson teased.


“bwoh? Did is say it loud?” JB shyly said. They all laughed and eat their orders. ‘Oh, it was JB-oppa. Not Nyong-oppa’ Nayeon thought to herself.


‘But why did she cry? Hmm.’ JB thought. He is curious though.


After a while, they finished the food.


“woah, they’re really impressive. I love their food.” Jinyoung said patting his stomach.


“Yeah, I’ll definitely come back here.” Mark added.


“Yah, is it really the food hyung? Or is it because of the girl named Wendy?” Jackson teased.


“Both” Mark smiled. He stood up to pay for their orders. He volunteered to pay for everything.


“Let’s go back.” JB stood up. Nayeon held his hand.


“Ah oppa, I have something to say.” Nayeon nervously said.


“I’ll go home. I want to sleep. I’m tired.” Mark said then he went out.


“Bye hyung/oppa! Thanks for the treat!” JB, Jinyoung, Jackson and Nayeon said.


“Hyung, I’ll head back to the studio first. I forgot that I had to meet up with Namjoon Hyung from Big Hit. He has planned a project for them” Jackson head out. He tapped JB and Jinyoung’s shoulders and ruffled Nayeon’s hair. “Yah oppa!” Nayeon shouted.

This time, only about 3 tables are still occupied. Yugyeom, Youngjae and Yeri are cleaning some tables.


“What is it nabong-ah? Why do you look so serious?” Jaebeom smiled at his sister.


“It’s Jennie oppa. She invited me for dinner. You know she never invited me to just hangout.” Nayeon said worriedly. JB froze.


“Maybe she just wants to hang out. Or ask you about the songs she is making me do all over again?” He said nonchalantly. He doesn’t think Jennie will do something wrong that she will include Nayeon.


“If you want, you can bring Jinyoung with you. I don’t think Jennie would want to see me if she asked for you.” JB said and stood up. Nayeon and Jinyoung just looked at each other. Jinyoung didn’t say anything. They stood up.

 

“Let’s get you home nabong-ah. I know you will prepare for your date with Jennie.” JB smiled at her sister.


They dropped Nayeon at their apartment. JB and Jinyoung went back to the studio.

----


The dinner with Jennie was something they did not expected. She wanted to talk to Nayeon that she wanted to ask for help, she wanted to get back with JB. Nayeon was flustered because this is the first time that she was asked for something like this and coming from a popular singer to ask for help for her relationship. Jinyoung somehow sensed something is not quite right because this is not how he knew Jennie and JB’s relationship. JB fell hard for Jennie, yes, but their relationship ended 2 years ago because Jennie wants to focus on her career and said that she cannot handle both. She was a rising star then, but then she asked JB to produce her album. With songs that are revised for 5 times the most. Not just one song, but all the songs in her album.
She reasons that it is not y enough for her. So JB, being head over heels in love with Jennie, he revises everything it immediately. But when they broke up, JB became irritated in producing her album because why would she choose to work with him when he was ‘not understanding’ of her rising career then? But he has no say or whatever in this.

Nayeon being a good sister, she agreed to help Jennie. She went home and talked to JB. JB was all smiles because of it.


The next day, he talked to Jennie. They got back together. They worked with the album and Jennie did not asked for any revisions anymore and went with the songs in the album that was not revised. It went smoothly. JB can’t help thinking that this is too good to be true but who knows, maybe she really loves him. Meanwhile, Mark almost goes to Velvet Café owned by Seulgi, he got to know Wendy. And learned that they knew each other in middle school in Canada. He knows her by the name Son Seungwan.