Chapter 1

Not you, too.

8 years ago..

 

Kang Seulgi is 17 years old. She is the maknae of the family. She has and older brother named Kang Minhyuk, 3 years older than her. He was almost like his second father. He always had time for Seulgi. He was her hero. He is going on an internship in a hospital as part of training to become a Doctor. She admires his brother so much and is inspired by his dedication and love for medicine. His goal to become a doctor is to help people. He will be the kindest doctor in the world. She is very vocal about her admiration for his brother’s passion that she sometimes even think of becoming a doctor too. This made her parents think she will also follow his brother’s footsteps in becoming a part of the Medicine world. Their parents are Medicine professors of Konkuk University. They were almost about to become doctors, but they were held back because of their love for teaching. And they have a family business, the Velvet Café, which is located near the Konkuk University.

 

She was about to take an entrance examination for the Medicine course. She prepared for over 6 months for it, but she can’t really concentrate. Deep in her heart she knows that it is not what she wants. She has a talent for arts: painting, sketching and performing: singing & dancing. Whenever she could not concentrate in reviewing for the entrance exam, she is always found in a corner of her room, with many sketches on paper surrounding her. She was scolded and grounded for a month because of it. Minhyuk took pity on her because she knows her sister won’t be happy if she will pursue what she doesn’t want. He talked to their parents about it. They were shouting. It was the first time that it happened. He is about to take his internship in a hospital, he was about to leave his sister for a year or so, so he could not stomach what the situation her sister would be in. Seulgi awakened by the shouting she heard.

 

She almost, almost tried to interfere but she knew she would not be heard by their parents. She was surprised by what her brother said: “If you won’t let her pursue what she really loves, I will take her with me and we will not come back here. I lived up to both of your expectations eomma, it was hard for me, but I guess I was lucky that it is my passion, but I wouldn’t want my sister to live up to something that will never sit right with her heart. Please, let us support Seulgi’s passion. She is happy with arts, you both saw her drawings, you know she is gifted at that because none of the 3 of us likes those stuff. You also heard her sing, you know she has a very good voice.. just, just please let us support her as a family. She is still young. If she wanted to pursue Medicine, she still has a lot of time. I will be with every step of her in reaching her dreams.” Minhyuk has tears running down his face. Their eomma is also crying. Their appa though, did not want to cry in front of them as he is the father he could not be seen as weak.


Seulgi hugged her brother tight while saying a never ending “Thank you”.

“Very well..Minhyuk, I now that all of those are true. I’m sorry for pushing your sister to follow into your footsteps. It was maybe a dream of mine and your appa to be a whole family involved in Medicine. I’m sorry Seulgi for being hard on you. I’m very sorry your eomma is not good in judgement. I know that I shouldn’t have to push you into something that you won’t be happy about.” Their mother hugged both of the children.

“Mianhe Minhyuk, Seulgi-ah,” Their father joined in the hug.


Seulgi slept that night early and peacefully.


 

---

She went to study Art Major with Music Minor Sungkyunkwan University, 4 years later, she will graduate and she is the top of the class. Her parents and brother are really proud of her.

 

Her brother is a well-respected Heart Surgeon he graduated in Konkuk University, the kindest as his colleague and patients would say because he did not charge the patients for surgery cost and sometimes he gave about 70% less for those who insists in paying. He said that he is satisfied by how much his salary is, and the purpose of him being a Doctor is to really help people.

 

The Velvet café was renovated, an area for a gig was added, customers are allowed to sing, and Seulgi frequently sing whatever the customers will request. Also, some of her paintings, sketches were put on display as decorations inside the café. His brother’s colleagues are always visiting the café for breaks, they admired Seulgi’s singing and talent at arts. Seulgi often visits the hospital where Minhyuk is working. She is often asked to sing for the patients and she never hesitated. She knew how proud her brother and parents is to her.

 

It seemed that everything was going smoothly.. they say, life always has its ups and downs. Whenever you feel like everything is going right and happy, something will always happen to mess it up.


Until that faithful morning. March 31, 2015..


His brother has just finished his shift. He is about to go to Seulgi’s graduation. He asked yesterday if he could take the night off as he will attend her sister’s graduation the following morning. He was about to go home at 4pm, when there was an emergency, he is badly needed to perform a heart operation on a 16 year old girl. The operation lasted for about 10 hours. It was a success. 4 hours later, the 16 year old girl woke up. Minhyuk was monitoring her. They talked about anything that the girl would ask, mostly about Seulgi. Minhyuk said that he will go by 7 am because he needs to surprise her sister in her graduation day and promised that he will bring Seulgi to meet the 16 year old girl and sing to her.


He is now on his way to his sister’s graduation. Walking out of the hospital’s exit door, he didn’t notice there was a commotion. An old lady was being hostage. A man held a gun at the old lady’s head. He demanded that the hospital should help him, to let his only daughter be treated for cancer. They were not allowed to go in because they didn’t have any money. He was a single father. His daughter is all he had. He fought with the security guard. He was very desperate. He pulled the gun of the security guard and grabbed a random old lady and held her a gun to her head. Minhyuk being the kind man that he is, he tried to interrupt and talked to the man, he silently told a hospital staff to let the daughter in and be treated, he will cover the cost whatever happens. But the man didn’t listen. Minhyuk kept on trying to talk and he is getting closer to the man and the hostage.

“I begged for your help, but you would not let me! My precious daughter is dying. She is just 4 years old! We only have each other! But you did not even lend an ear to listen to me! I do not have any choice. If my daughter will die because of me being a useless father not able to have money to let her get treated, then I deserve to die too!” he pushed the old lady away then pointed the gun to his head, Minhyuk quickly held the man’s hand trying to take the gun away but the man was persistent to shoot himself that he accidentally pulled the trigger, shooting Minhyuk, aiming a spot just beside his heart.

 

---
 

Seulgi’s Graduation ceremony will start at 8am. She’s kind of sad because his brother couldn’t come to the ceremony. He won’t be able to see her go up the stage and give her speech. But she understood his job. They will go meet after the ceremony to celebrate. Her parents are already at the venue. They couldn’t be more proud.

The ceremony started. Seulgi proudly went up the stage and was about to start giving her speech when her parents’ phones started ringing and then suddenly answered to cut the ringing sound, disturbing the ceremony. They answered it, Seulgi sheepishly grinned on the podium but she felt something in her heart that something is not right. She then looked at her eomma and appa, they looked shocked, scared and sad, and her eomma has tears running down her face while shaking. Seulgi ran from the stage to her parents.


“Minhyuk was shot. We have to go to the hospital now.” Her father stood while holding her wife who is shaking while crying. He helped his wife walk out.


Seulgi felt a stab to her heart. ‘No..no..Hyuk oppa..’ she said mentally. She is shaking. But she was able to say a few words to the audience where she was standing.


“I’m very sorry to everyone, but I cannot give a speech, we have a family emergency, sorry!” she rushed outside following her parents.


---

 

They arrived at the hospital. She was still wearing her Graduation Robe and she is holding her Graduation Head Cap.


They were ushered to where Minhyuk is. He is now under surgery. The doctors were taking the bullet out.


They were told of what happened. Her eomma just can’t stop crying. Seulgi was too shocked at what happened that she can only look at her feet. Her appa is crying too while hugging her eomma.


---

After about 6 hours, the bullet was successfully taken out of Minhyuk’s body, but Minhyuk gone into a sleep. The bullet had almost pierced his heart. Thankfully it didn’t. Yet they will have to wait until he wakes up.


The hostage taker was taken by the police. His daughter who has cancer is now admitted to the hospital. She is getting treated as what Minhyuk had told the hospital staff.

Minhyuk’s colleague told the Seulgi and her parents to go home first and rest and come back later on. Seulgi hesitated, she wants to be there when his brother wakes up and sees her on her graduation robe. She was allowed inside the room of his brother. She had fallen asleep on the couch.


The next day, her parents went back. Seulgi and her eomma is inside Minhyuk’s room. Her appa went to arrange something regarding the paperwork and to the cancer-stricken daughter of the hostage taker.

At lunch time, her parent’s went out to get their food. She stayed inside the room and sat beside Minhyuk’s bed. She held on to her brother’s hand and sang the song she composed who is praised by his brother.


~saebyeok byeolcheoreom euneunhi binnadeon
geudae nunppichi nae mame daeul ttae

han georeum geudael hyanghaeseo
dagagadeon nal algo innayo

shicheoreom geudaereul malhago
gin noraecheoreom nan geudaeman bureujo

maeil gateun kkumeul kkumyeo sarayo
geudael pogeunhi anajuneun il ~

(translation:

When your eyes that softly shined like the morning star
Touches my heart

Do you know that I’ve been taking
One step toward you?

Like a poem, I talk about you
Like a long song, I only call out to you

I dream the same dream every day
A dream where I’m warmly holding you)

(RV’s Seulgi (Solo song) – Always)

She stopped. Tears streaming down her face. She felt Minhyuk’s hand moved. Minhyuk opened his eyes and smiled at her.

“Your voice woke me up. Thank you gomdori.” He said in almost a whisper.

“Oppa! T_T” Seulgi hugged her brother and cried loudly.

“Seulgi ah.. It hurts… I’m sorry I was not able to come to your ceremony.. you look so good in your graduation robe..I was about to surprise you.. Please make sure that the daughter is treated..I have a gift for you Seulgi ah..Please take care of it.. Take care of eomma and appa.. always sing..paint..draw..be whoever you want to be. I am always proud of you..I’m always here (he pointed at his heart)…. it hurts Seulgi ah.. Mian… mianhe gomdori..mianhe..i love you Seulgi ah..i love eomma, appa…a…” Minhyuk is crying. He went into shock.

Seulgi called outside for help. She is shouting. She is wailing loudly. She is scared. Just in time, her parents are walking towards her. And rushed inside.

Nurses and doctors rushed to Minhyuk. They tried to revive him. But he was gone.

Her eomma and appa just hugged each other. Seulgi went and hugged her brother and crying loudly.

 

---

 

They are now in his brother’s wake. He will be put into rest the next day. The hospital is mourning. Seems like everyone is mourning. All of Minhyuk’s colleague paid a visit. His friends, their relatives, his brother’s patients..

 

Seulgi is just on the side of the room where his brother’s ashes are. A 16 year old girl approached her.

“Hi Unnie, my condolences to Dr. Kang-ssi. I’m sorry.” The 16 year old girl named Yerim approached Seulgi but she didn’t budge, nor look at the girl.

 

“He told me a lot about you, I know he loved you so much. I was his last patient. I thought about dying already but he saved me. He said he will surprise you on you graduation ceremony and he even promised me that he will bring you to sing to me. I’m sorry unnie. I’m sorry.” Yerim is crying. Seulgi cried silently. Yerim hugged her.


---
 

“Seul-ah! I’m sorry..” Kang Sora rushed to hug Seulgi. She is their cousin. He is just a year older than Minhyuk.


“He left you a gift Seul-ah. I was taking care of it for a while..it is in Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam. Just tell me if you are ready, arasseo?, we love you Seul-ah. He loves you so much.” Kang Sora just hugged Seulgi as the younger girl cried non-stop.


Their parents is hurt just as much as Seulgi. They thought about the future that they will entrust everything to Minhyuk and Seulgi once they die. But never did this come up to their mind that their son will die first. They could only pray for acceptance and peace. They are very sorry to their son and daughter.

 

Minhyuk’s burial day passed in just like a snap. But for the Kang Family, they felt every minute passed by like an hour. It had been the longest day for them. The world lost a very kind man.


They lost a very loving son. A very supportive brother. A very precious person.


---

 

It is over a month since Minhyuk’s death and Seulgi’s graduation. The family mourned. And is still mourning.


“Seulgi, your brother left you a gift. Take care of it. If you are ready, just tell us. We love you.” Her eomma told her softly and embraced her.


“I don’t know what I should do eomma. I don’t know if I deserved the gift oppa left me. He left us.” Seulgi cried to her mother’s shoulder.


She knows that her brother did not die in vain. He is the kindest man the world had. She is just hurt so much that she did not literally know what to do now. She planned to travel and visit all art galleries over the country after her graduation. She don’t know if she will be able to. Her parents keep telling her to go and travel. And gave her their utmost support.
 

---
Another month passed by. Seulgi had enough time crying. She decided to know what his brother’s gift is. Her parents had always been on a gloomy mood. She is too. But they chose to move forward. They know Minhyuk would not like it if they just mourn and slug all day and night. Her parents went back to work.



Seulgi contacted Kang Sora. ‘I think it’s time. Hyuk-oppa will hate me if I won’t know what his gift is. He told me to take care of it.’ She thought to herself sadly.


“Sora-unnie..”

“Seul-ah!! What can I help you with?” Sora just arrived in Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam.


“Unnie, can I now see what oppa’s gift for me is?”

 

She went to meet up with their cousin Sora. She was confused at first as she saw the Velvet Café sign outside of the store she went in. she saw Sora standing facing her.


“Unnie? Why is it named as our Café in Hwayang-dong?” Seulgi is confused. Sora just smiled at her. She then noticed a family portrait that she remembered she first painted, placed on the wall, facing the entrance door. Her heart is beating fast now.


‘Is this hyuk-oppa’s gift to me?’ she thought to herself. She is shaking. Tears started streaming down her face.


“Seul-ah. This is Minhyuk’s gift to you.” Sora hugged the younger lady as she was about to fall to her knees. Sora is tearing up too.


They settled down, and sat on one of the tables. Sora gave Seulgi the keys. And told her all about this Café, on how Minhyuk kept it hidden for about 6 months. The café operation just started 2 months ago, and surprisingly, the business had been going fine. Sora is temporarily managing it as she was asked by Minhyuk. She was about to go to her family who migrated in California 2 years ago. She was supposed to go there last 3 months ago, but Minhyuk asked her a favor about it. She couldn’t say no as she is closed to Minhyuk and Seulgi.


“I will be leaving for California Seul.. I’ll schedule a flight for next week. I have a very trusted friend who is managing this café with me, Bae Joohyun. Her family is friends with your family and she is close to your brother. She will guide you through this, and it will be up to you if you’d like for her to become a permanent employee of yours.. take care of this café.” Sora toured Seulgi around the whole café. It is not that big. But it can cater around 20 customer. The kitchen is spacious. The barista space is such a sight to see. And there is an area specifically for gigs.


“Minhyuk has been going here almost every week since this started. And he is really excited to let you see this place. So Seul, what do you want to do now?” Sora is looking into Seulgi’s eyes.


“I don’t know if I deserve this unnie. I need time to think first. I will tell you before the day after tomorrow. I’m sorry unnie. And thank you so much!” Seulgi hugged Sora tight.


Seulgi went home, she told her parents about how she felt about it. They understood her. They said they will guide her.


The next day, she is still in deep thought. She wanted to deserve the gift her brother left her. She is decided to take over the café, but of course she can’t do it alone. She has contacted Bae Irene. She also called her best friend, Wendy, her same age friend from middle school before her family migrated to Canada, they share the same talent in singing. But Wendy is into culinary and baking. Wendy went back for college, she coincidentally enrolled in the same university Seulgi is admitted in. Wendy also took Minor in music..


She told Wendy all that had happened from their graduation day. She has not reached out to any of her friends since then and she is very sorry for it. She apologized nonstop to her best friend. Wendy knew what happened and visited Minhyuk’s wake, burial and has been asking Mr. & Mrs. Kang about Seulgi. Seulgi was oblivious to all of that. Because of how hurt she was. And she felt sorry about it. She cried on the phone with Wendy. Wendy understood her. And in fact, Wendy is part of the surprise of Minhyuk. Wendy started working in the Café as the chef. She is talented at that one, that’s why Minhyuk hired her even before she and Seulgi graduated.


Seulgi told Sora her decision the next day. Sora couldn’t be happier for Seulgi. She is proud at how her cousin is trying.


Seulgi then went to the Café, and gotten to know the staff. She was surprised Yeri is already working as a part-time barista/server, Youngjae also a part-time barista/server. There is Joy who is an assistant chef to Wendy. Bambam & Yugyeom who are kitchen staff/servers.. These staff are part-timers. Except Wendy. Seulgi also knows how to be a barista so she will be doing that to help. Bae Joohyun is the unnie friend who she wanted to become his brother’s girlfriend before. She decided to make Bae Joohyun a permanent employee and be the operations manager, also Joohyun will handle the finances, and she knows her well because their families have been friends for so long.