Chapter 3

Not you, too.

4 months passed.. Velvet Café owned by Seulgi is running smoothly. Bae Joohyun has apologized to Seulgi and her parents that she won’t be able to come back to the café. She is needed by her grandparents in her hometown. Seulgi was left with no choice but she understood. She had learned the ropes of managing the café. So she and Wendy will be the ones to split the tasks of Joohyun. They also made the part timers permanent employees.


Jackson, Jinyoung, Nayeon, Mark and JB are their regular customers. They befriended all the staff.


Nayeon works in the hospital where Minhyuk worked. She never met him but she have a lot of good stories about him.


It is about time that the café opened their gig. It is amazing that all the staff are good singers and rappers. Many customers enjoyed and commended them for having the gig and for their talent. It is only Seulgi who does not want to sing..yet. She doesn’t have the courage to do so..


JB and Jennie’s’ relationship is surprisingly going strong. But his friends can’t help but think that it is too good to be true. But they can’t say anything about it. Jinyoung and Nayeon is on officially dating status. JB has approved of Jinyoung as he knows he is a good guy, and he’s always been there for Nayeon. Also, Mark and Wendy are also dating officialy. They have many similarities and they almost talk to each other in English. Their friends have no problem about them.


Seulgi’s developed a crush on JB. She became comfortable with him. They always talk about a lot of things. JB knew about her life, her brother, the café, her passion and she knew about JB too. They have a lot of similarities. She opened herself to him.


JB also feel something for Seulgi, but he knows he can never go across the line. He has Jennie. So he shrugged those feelings off. He can never cheat. He will never cheat.

 

------
 

 

It is now the year 2017. New year, new beginnings.. As Seulgi would say.


It is now January 3, 2017. She is in the Café. There were no customers yet as it is around 7 am. They open at 8 am. She brought out her sketchbook it is her first time to do so, she decided she wants to draw. For the first time in a while. Something within her sparked. She thought of JB. She draw him. Wendy was about to enter but she saw Seulgi was sketching. She just stood and watched her first. She doesn’t want to cause disturbance. This moment is too precious.


“Omo! I did it! I did it! I finished the drawing!” Seulgi hugged herself. She couldn’t be prouder of herself. She went to their family portrait and talked to Minhyuk as if he is still alive.


“Oppa! I did it. I draw again. I finished it. Eomma, Appa. I did it! I didn’t freeze. I finished it!” Seulgi is crying. Crying because of happiness. Wendy walked to her and hugged her.


“I’m so proud of you Seulgom! I saw everything. I am proud of you!” Wendy is crying too. She is so happy for her best friend.


“Oh my god. Nobody should see this. Do you like him?” Wendy was surprised that Seulgi draw JB. Seulgi just nodded. She knows she couldn’t do anything about her feelings. It is unrequited, but it is enough for her to see him smiling and being able to talk to him.  She closed her sketchbook and hid it somewhere, she will bring it back home.


Just then, other staff arrived. It was already almost 8 am. Only Yugyeom, Bambam and Yeri reported for work. Joy and Youngjae will be back on the 5th as their hometown are very far away. Joy is in Jeju, Youngjae in Mokpo.


Nayeon is very sleepy. She walked in the café. Seulgi immediately served her her usual coffee that she really loves.


“Unnie! I’m very tired and sleepy. Thank you for the coffee.” Nayeon slump on the sofa area.


“Okay, drink this coffee, I’ll ask Wendy to whip you something for breakfast. Arasso?” Seulgi went to the kitchen and asked Wendy for the breakfast.


“You gone really soft on his family, eh?” Wendy nudged her.


“Yah, it’s not something like that, Nayeon is my friend, and can you see how sleepy and tired she is? Minhyuk oppa was like this before too. Working at the hospital can really drain you.” Seulgi defended herself. Wendy just narrowed her eyes looking at Seulgi.


“Here you go nabongie.. Eat up then go home and sleep. This will be on the house.” Seulgi brought the breakfast.


“Thank you unnie. You are the best!” Nayeon chomped down the food.

 

 


---

 

It is now 5 pm. They are about to start with the gig.


The boys from GOT7 studios hasn’t visited the café this day. But Seulgi didn’t mind. She has one mission to accomplish today. That is to sing.


“So who will start singing today?” Wendy asked the other staff.

 

Before the others could say anything, Seulgi went behind Wendy and spoke on the mic.

“me.” She sat on the chair designated for the singers.


She sang acapella. She sang the song she sang to her brother. She closed her eyes the whole time. She finished the song even though tears had streamed down her face.
She opened her eyes and saw that some audience are also crying and her friends too.


“I did it!” she exclaimed. She is hugged by Wendy. Whispering ‘I am proud of you’ again and again.


The night ended happily for everyone… … …. Except for JB.


Since Christmas, Jennie had been distant to her. She had a lot of excuses given to JB whenever he ask her out. And especially this New Year. He got nothing, no calls, message from his girlfriend. He had this feeling in his heart that something is really wrong but he just shrugged it off again. He chose to trust his girlfriend. But they really need to talk. He has been contacting her since this morning but her manager is the one who answered every time. Her manager gives excuse saying Jennie is just busy. Saying she has upcoming tour. So he was left with no choice but to stop calling.

 

---

January 5, 2017


Nayeon and Jinyoung rushed inside the café.


“Oh, what happened? Why do you two looked like someone is chasing you?” Joy laughed with them.


“We are racing who will get into the café first Joy-ah” Nayeon smiled at Joy and turned her gaze to Jinyoung and laughed.


“Ah she’s just kidding. Hehe. We’re here to talk to Seulgi and Wendy. Are they here?” Jinyoung said to Joy.

 

“Seulgi unnie will not be reporting today she has something to arrange in their café in Hwayang-dong. Wendy unnie is in the kitchen, I’ll get her. But are you not gonna order first?” Joy motioned them to sit down.


“We will later after we talked with you guys. We need to discuss something before JB oppa comes here. Jinyoung said he is about to come here today too, that’s why we rushed here” Nayeon explained.


“arasso unnie, Wendy unnie! Wendy unnie!” Joy shouted.


“Omo Joy! What is it??” Wendy hurriedly went out of the kitchen and looked at Joy, as if something is happening.


“Oh mianhe unnie, they wanted to talk to us about something. Hurry here!” Joy said laughing at Wendy.


Nayeon and Jinyoung discussed with them their plan to surprise JB. His birthday is on the 6th. They wanted to reserve the whole café just for them in the evening. The surprise will be at 6pm. Nayeon wants to make his brother happy for this birthday. He had been on a depressing mood since the New Year started. Jinyoung also noticed JB is getting irritated and angry easily. Wendy said that she will call Seulgi first if she will agree. And then she will let Nayeon know.

 

Suddenly, JB, Jackson and Mark entered the café.


‘omo, we’re almost found out. phew.’ Nayeon thought to herself. And smiled to Jinyoung trying to mentally connect with him. Jinyoung got what she meant. And they just laughed together.


“What’s funny?” JB slumped to the seat beside Nayeon. He is frowning. Which made Nayeon and Jinyoung laughed more.


“Aigoo. This lovebird is really something.” Jackson laughed with them also.


“Hi wannie.” Mark pecked Wendy’s cheek.


“Hi mark! What would you like to have?” Wendy returned back the kiss on his cheek.

“You.” Teased Mark that made Wendy blushed hard. JB scoff, and Jackson and the Jinyeon couple laugh hard.


“Park Joy, take their orders, I have to call Seulgi. I need to get away or else I’ll become a walking tomato here.” Wendy said and rushed to the kitchen. JB’s ears perked up when he heard Seulgi’s name. He noticed she is not inside the Café.


“Kim Yugyeom!” JB called the younger guy. The younger guy looked up from his cleaning. “What is it hyung?”


“Why is Seulgi not here?” JB curiously asked.

 

“She’s in Hwayang-dong, in main branch.” The younger guy then shrugged his shoulders. JB didn’t respond to that.


Joy took their orders. And they settled quietly. Jackson kept on looking at Joy’s every moves.


While in the kitchen, “Seul! Is it okay with you if we close early tomorrow? Nayeon asked for a favor that by 6pm, we will have to close for customers, she is planning a surprise for your JB’s birthday tomorrow.” Wendy talked to Seulgi over the phone.


“yah Wannie! He is not mine! But, oh, it is his birthday tomorrow? Omo.. hmmm.okay. tell Nayeon it’s fine with me. See you tomorrow.” Seulgi then ended the call. Thinking, ‘hmm, better yet to surprise him also tomorrow, I’ll sing.’

 

Wendy then went out, Nayeon looked at her, and she gave a thumbs up to Nayeon.


“Yes!” Nayeon exclaimed that made the guys look at her.


“Yes to what nabong?” JB irritatingly said as Nayeon broke the silence. He is still upset at Jennie’s behavior the past few days.


“a-ah.. Yes I will go on a date with Nyongie tomorrow” Nayeon stammered and looked at Jinyoung. Signaling him to agree with her.


“Ah yes, we will go on a date tomorrow.” Jinyoung said in a calmer way that made the others shrug their shoulders being uninterested.


‘Ah it is my birthday tomorrow.’ JB said to himself. Better yet ask Jennie on a date too.


Their orders arrived. Jackson flirted a little bit with Joy. When they finished they went out. Wendy then told the other staff about the surprise for JB tomorrow.


During the night, JB decided to send Jennie a message as he expected her phone will ring endlessly and will be answered by her manager and tell him that she is busy in preparing for her upcoming tour.


 

Message


JB: Babe, are you still busy tomorrow? Maybe we can squeeze in a dinner date even just for a bit. Tomorrow is a special day and will be special if we could spend time together.


He sent the message and laid down to sleep, not expecting a reply or anything. But his phone beeped. She replied. A smile appeared on his face. But soon turned into a frown.


Jennie: Sorry, I can’t go tomorrow. I have to go home and spend time with my parents before my tour you understand how tiring it is for me, right? and what special day? I don’t recall anything special about tomorrow’s date.


JB: I’m sorry for bothering you. Tomorrow is just an ordinary day. I understand. Of course I understand your work. Please take care of yourself. I love you. See you soon.


He put his phone on the night stand and went to sleep. He will read the reply tomorrow morning. He is really tired for this day.

 

---

January 6, 2017

 

Around lunch time in the café, Nayeon and Jinyoung with the help of Youngjae, and Yugyeom, they are preparing for the surprise party later. They try hard to be not as messy as possible and to be silent as much as possible so as not to disturb other customers. Yeri, and Bambam are busy with attending to customers, serving their orders and cleaning tables. Joy and Wendy are cooking for the customers and cooking/baking for the party later. While Seulgi, is assigned to prepare for the gift for JB. She told them she’ll go out. While walking out, she pondered on what would be the best gift to give him. She is thinking of him, his smile, his eyes... Her feet brought her home, to her room. She picked up her painting things. She is going to paint a portrait of JB. She just went on and on with the painting. After a while, she is finished. She is surprised at herself. She finished a painting. She couldn’t be prouder of herself.


She called her parents. Telling the good news. She told them all about how she started sketching, sang and painted. All for the first time since her brother’s death. Her parents are very happy for her. She cried because of happiness. They were happy conversing about her parents’ vacation, and her about how she had finally the courage to do what she really loves. Her parents ended the call saying “We are really proud of you Seulgi-ah, we are very happy that you finally did all of those again. You know your brother would be really happy. We know. Please take care of yourself there. Always be happy our Seulbear. Always have the courage to do what you love. We love you always our gomdori. We’ll see you home tomorrow.” She can’t help but cry because of the feeling in her heart. She is happy.. She looked at the time, it is 20 minutes before 6pm. She will be late if she won’t move now.

 

Meanwhile earlier,

 

JB woke up to his phone ringing, it was already 3 in the afternoon. He overslept. He was so tired yesterday. His parents are calling to greet him a Happy Birthday. His parents are in his hometown. Although they are well-off, his parents are still farming. This is their retirement plan.


The call ended and he saw a bunch of messages of birthday greetings.


He saw Jennie sent a message. He smiled. He is thinking Jennie is just acting like she doesn’t know what date is today last night. He excitedly opened her message, but boy, he was wrong.


Jennie: Hey Kai baby, let’s go to The Street Bistro tomorrow at 5pm. 2PM’s Taecyeon-oppa is the owner there. He invited us to dinner there. He said he wanted to work for a collaboration with us. I’ll alert the press so the news will hype our popularity. See you tomorrow baby, Good night. I love you Kai.


He threw his phone. He is really mad. Heartbroken. Sad. But mad. He is furious.
his phone suddenly rang. Nayeon is calling. He answered. He just listened.


Nayeon: Happy birthday Oppa! Can you meet me later, 6pm at the Velvet Café? Let’s get dinner, you can bring Jennie unnie. And she dropped the call.


He took a shower to calm down and went out. He went directly to The Street bistro in Gangnam. He is just right across the other side of the road of the bistro. He saw a convertible car without a hood on. There he saw Jennie and Kai. They were swarmed with paparazzi and press people as they went out of the car. They stopped for a little interview with the press. They went inside the bistro and were welcomed by 2PM’s Taecyeon. They were seated and can still be seen from outside. JB can see them displaying affection publicly, laughing, enjoying each other. After a while the press and paparazzi left, he went just outside of the bistro, he called Jennie.


He saw how Jennie picked up her phone and saw how her eyes widen when she saw he is calling. Jennie excused herself and stood up, but is pulled back by Kai and they shared a kiss. Jennie went outside of the bistro and answered the call.


Conversation:

JB: where are you babe? *He tried hard to sound normal*

Jennie: I’m at home JB. I’m with my parents. Why are you calling? I told you already that I can’t go on a date with you today. *JB is now walking towards Jennie. He stopped just a meter behind her.

 

JB: Then why are you in front of me?..

 

JB ended the call as Jennie turned around with her eyes wide open.


“J-JB!” Jennie exclaimed.

 

“Home? Family? Really Jen? Really? How do you see me as? What do you see me as?

I saw everything inside. I saw you with Kai. I don’t know if you purposely sent me a message that was for your lover.” JB calmly asked but he is mad. Jennie is nervous. She kept on looking at the passersby.


“I’m sorry JB. It was a mista-” she then realized her stupidity.


“Mistake. Yes I am a mistake. I am mistaken. I know it was all too good to be true.” JB said. Tears formed in his eyes threatening to fall.


“Sorry. I just didn’t want to be alone. Kai and I were on a break when I got back with you. Also you are producing my album that time. It is a perfect opportunity to get back with you. My career has become stable since the album gotten out. I just didn’t know how to tell you. I-” Jennie blurted out the truth to him.

 

“Great. You just used me. You purposely sent me the message. Great. Just great! You just used me. I did everything. I understood you. I always do.” JB is crying now.


“I’m sorry that it had happened this way. I love Kai so much. I can’t give him up for someone like you. I’m sorry. Goodbye JB.” She hurriedly went back inside.


JB is crying. He ran. He didn’t care if people are looking at him. He went inside a convenience store. Bought and drank 3 cans of beers. He feels really hurt. It seemed like someone stepped on him, crushing him into pieces. He feels defeated. He just cried. After calming down. He glanced at the time, it was now 7:00. His sister has left her messages asking where he is. He replied, “OMW. It’s only me”. He walked. He didn’t bring his car. He forgot to. He was mad.