Chapter 6

Not you, too.

January 6, 2019

 

It has been almost 2 years since the airport incident.

 

Seulgi and JB made their relationship official on July 2017. She returned back to work at the café, her holding the 50% shares and is living with Joy, Yeri and Youngjae. Their friends are very happy for them.


Seulgi celebrated their past Birthdays, Christmas and New Year’s and all other occasions with JB’s family and their friends. It seemed that finally, everything fell at the right place and right time.

 

Today is JB’s 25th birthday. There are no more surprises, for her at least, they didn’t plan any surprise for JB. But she doesn’t know what is in store for her that night. JB’s parents are also there, her family - their friends. Their intimate celebration started at around 5pm. She and JB arrived on time, JB blew the candles on his cake, their friends, singing and dancing. Seulgi sang Red Velvet’s Candy, JB’s been grinning from ear to ear as Seulgi sang to him… then, it was his time to sing. He made Seulgi stay beside him as he sang: Defsoul (GOT7 JB) – Be with you.


“Seul, please listen carefully to the song,” JB said as he started singing.


Everyone is excited, like they’re waiting for something to happen. His eyes are just glued to Seulgi, he is smiling all throughout the song. He held her hand as he sang.


~~ Please listen to “Defsoul – Be with you” in this scene:


~~ [Verse 1]

neoui dunune naega bichwoboil ttae

nan al su isseo deo jungyohan geon eobseo

halujongil nae pumeman issgil balae

neolaseo nan yogsimi nagil balae

i gonggijocha neoingeosman gata

neowa soneul jabgoseo gileul geoleodanil ttae

nan kkochgileul geodneungeo gata

seolo nuneul majchugo siseoni gakkawojilttaemyeon

I feel like sesang-eul gajin geos gata

 

[Pre-Chorus]

sigan-eul idaelo meomchwojwo jebal

neowa isseul ttaen deo wonhaeyahae

jamsido tteoleojigo sipji anha

yeongwonhi gyeote isseojwo

 

[Chorus]

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

negaen nae jeonbuleul da jul su isseo nan

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

neoman isseojumyeon nan deo balalge eobseo

 

[Verse 2]

neoleul kkeuleo ana kokkeuti majdaheul ttae

neoui maeumkkaji jinsimi dahgil balae

nuneul tteuneun iyuga

maeil neonikka

nawa gatgileul balae

I wanna get your love

 

[Pre-Chorus]

siganeul idaelo meomchwojwo jebal

neowa isseul ttaen deo wonhaeyahae

jamsido tteoleojigo sipji anha

yeongwonhi gyeote isseojwo

 

[Chorus]

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

negaen nae jeonbuleul da jul su isseo nan

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

neoman isseojumyeon nan deo balalge eobseo

 

[Bridge]

yojeum naega hangsang gominingeon

eotteohge i mameul seolmyeonghalkka

pyeongsogatdeon ilsangdo neolamyeon

sojunghae nan

da damadugo sipeo (Yeah yeah)


(In this part of the song, his family, their friends stood up and went near them. All with smiles beaming on their face, Seulgi noticed but she stared back at JB. She felt JB’s hand tremble slightly..)

 

[Chorus]

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

negaen nae jeonbuleul da jul su isseo nan

I always wanna be with you, girl

I can show you my mind

neoman isseojumyeon nan deo balalge eobseo

 

[Outro]

Say Oh woo oh woo oh

Say Oh woo oh woo oh

ojig nan neomaneul hangsang bala bolteni

Say Oh woo oh woo oh

Say Oh woo oh woo oh

yeogi nae yeopjalieman yeongwonhi isseojwo

 

As the song ended, JB kissed her forehead.


“Gom-ah, in all of my birthdays, I wished God for someone who will love me and will accept me, as I am. I guess I got really lucky as he gave me you, you’re worth more than anything in this world. I even think sometimes that I don’t deserve you. You’re more than anything I wished for.”

He let go of her hand as he took something out of his coat pocket, opened the ring box and kneeled. Seulgi is surprised, her eyes widened and has one of her hand cover and the other she placed on her chest right above her heart.
She looked at their surroundings, the ladies are tearing up. 


“The song I sang tells what I feel for you. You showed me and made me feel that even though you have lost everything, you still have a space in your life for someone like me. You gave me your love even when you needed love the most. I don’t know what else I could say right now that will really make you feel how much I love you. I’m deeply in love with you Kang Seulgi, will you marry me?”


All the ladies are crying, even Yugyeom, Bambam and Jackson.


Seulgi nodded and said, “Yes beom-ah, yes I will marry you Im Jaebeom.” Jaebeom placed the ring on Seulgi’s left ring finger, stood up, kissed her on the lips and hugged her tightly.


It is the best birthday present he ever had in his life. Seulgi accepted his proposal. He could never asked for anything more.


Seulgi cried hard on his shoulders. Looked at her family portrait and smiled, ‘ Eomma, Appa, hyuk-oppa, thank you for everything..’ she said to herself.


Everyone congratulated them. They are just so happy for the couple. Wendy cried hard on Mark’s chest. She’s really happy for her best friend.


-----


It seemed that everything went well, doesn’t it? This thought creeped into Seulgi’s mind. She ignored it as she is in a very happy place right now. Nothing can ruin this. 

Tomorrow is her 25th birthday. She and JB planned a 4-day vacation in Jeju Island. They will return to the mainland on the 15th.


Their 4-day vacation were full of smiles.. Her birthday this time is a very fulfilling one. This is her last birthday as a single woman and their last Valentine’s date as a couple before they tie the knot 6 months later this year. They spend the 4 days trying everything they could on the island.


It is now their time to go back home. They’ve never been happier. They arrived around 4 pm in the afternoon. They went home, JB dropped Seulgi home first then went on his way to his apartment. They planned on a house near JB’s hometown that would not be too far away from their workplace.


The next day, around 10 am, Seulgi is awakened by her phone ringing, she got up with a heavy feeling in her chest. She answered the phone, it was Joy calling.


“Seul unnie, JB oppa was in an accident on his way to the studio earlier this morning some drunk driver speeding, hit him on the sidewalk. He’s been in surgery for about 2 hours now. Sorry we also just know this now. We are currently at the hospital. Mark oppa and Wendy unnie will fetch you now.” Seulgi dropped the phone, felt a deafening sound, her world just turned upside down. She was speechless. She hasn’t moved from her sitting position on her bed. She feels devastated, she wants to cry.


Wendy arrived. Wendy’s been knocking on her door, Seulgi heard nothing. She feels empty. She’s been silent. She wants to cry, real hard as pain had consumed her body, but she got no tears to cry. ‘This can’t be happening. No, not again. Please.’ She thought to herself.


Few minutes of Wendy calling and knocking on her door, still Seulgi hasn’t responded, Mark finally kicked her door open, they found Seulgi, looking at a space, with no tears on her eyes, but hurt and pain is evident.

The moment Wendy hugged Seulgi, Seulgi fainted. Wendy and Mark stayed to watch Seulgi.


Few hours later, and Seulgi woke up in her room. ‘Was it a dream?’ she thought. She heard someone outside of her room, preparing food. She got up and went out the room and saw Wendy. Mark is outside talking to somebody on the phone, he seemed calmer than before.


“Seul, drink this water first, and eat up.” Seulgi is confused. But she did as she feels tired and hungry. When she was finished, “Wan, I’ll take a shower first, then I’ll go to the Café.” She went to her room and shower.


“Love, JB is survived his surgery. He’s now under monitoring. He is put in a private room.” Mark said to Wendy. “Oh, Thank God!” Wendy exclaimed as she felt relieved somehow.

Seulgi has finished shower and is ready to go out. She got her phone and noticed JB has left her a message, it was around 7 in the morning. Saying, “Good Morning gom! :) I’m on going to the studio now. See you around 3pm at the café in Gangnam. I love you. Take care.” Also, 6 missed calls from Wendy, 3 from Joy, 5 from Yugyeom, 2 from Jinyoung, 3 from Jackson, all around 10 am earlier.


“Hey wan, why did all of you called me earlier? I got to go now, Jaebeom’s probably waiting for me at the Café.” Seulgi said as she walks out of her room, passing by Wendy and Mark, pausing in front of them, “And I am confused, why are the both of you here?” Wendy just looked at Seulgi in disbelief


“Seul, we’ve been here since you passed out. JB’s been in an accident.” Wendy said softly.


“Wha-what? It wasn’t a dream? Wha..wha..whaaat” Seulgi dropped on the floor kneeling, and crying. Tears are now falling from her eyes. And it’s like the sky is with her, as it is now raining hard. Wendy just hugged Seulgi.


“JB’s surgery is successful. He is in a private room, being monitored. A stupid drunk speeding driver hit him on the side walk. We’re here to fetch you so we could go see him at the hospital.” Mark explained to Seulgi. Seulgi just cried on Wendy’s shoulder.


Seulgi let go of Wendy’s hug and said, “I can’t go. I’m afraid.. I can’t lose him. I can’t. I already lost my brother, eomma and appa. I can’t lose him.. I can’t..” she broke down on the floor.


“Seul.. he won’t die. JB is strong. He won’t allow you to lose him.” Mark consoled.


“I’m scared. I can’t go to the hospital.. he will die. I can’t go there.” Seulgi said, it seemed that she’s in a trauma of what happened to her brother and parents who died in the hospital. She hasn’t stop crying. She’s just so devastated. She is in fear. And in pain. She’s like being split in half. She feels numb. She’s passed out again.


Mark lift and carried her back to her room. Wendy followed and cried. Her heart really hurts for her best friend. She pities her situation. ‘Why does this happen to her? She’s done nothing wrong, she only deserves to be happy.’

 

They stayed with Seulgi. Until when Yeri, Joy and Youngjae got home, Mark went to the hospital to monitor his best friend. He understood the situation, this is why he will go to the hospital to make sure he gets first hand news about his best friend’s condition. He doesn’t want to lose JB too.


The following morning came, it has stopped raining. Seulgi woke up. She feels heavy. She felt defeated. She felt like she’s losing a part of herself too. Wendy is beside her, sleeping, hugging her. She slowly got up and prepared for breakfast. She saw Yeri and Youngjae, on their way out to go to the Café in Hwayang-dong.


“Noona, how are you?” Youngjae hugged Seulgi.


“Annyeonghaseyo,” Seulgi said softly.


“Unnie, we believe in JB-oppa, he’ll wake up, okay?” Yeri hugged Seulgi. Seulgi just nodded.


“We’ll go noona, Joy-ie will stay with you here.” Youngjae said. He and Yeri then went out.


Seulgi has cooked food, for the three of them, she made coffee, which the odor made Wendy and Joy get up, “Seul? Kang Seulgi?” Wendy shouted from the room.


“Unnie? Wendy unnie? Seulgi unnie?” Joy shouted from her room.


They both found Seulgi in the kitchen.


“Annyeonghaseyo, let’s eat.” Seulgi said. She acts normal but her voice feels nothing to it.

 

They just ate, Joy and Wendy’s glancing at Seulgi with her every move. Once they finished eating, she cleaned up the table, the kitchen, the floor, her room, and when she’s done, she went to shower. Wendy went out for a while, to shower and change, she’ll come back. Joy is left with Seulgi. She’s been following Seulgi’s every move. Silenced fell in the house. Seulgi kept herself busy, she went out of her room, and straight to the main door.


“Where to unnie?” Joy asked.


“I’ll just go somewhere.” Seulgi answered.


“Do you want me to go with you?” Joy enthusiastically asked.


“No need. I’ll be fine.” Seulgi said. Wendy just arrived.


“We’ll go with you Seul. Whether you like it or not. We can’t leave you alone. JB wouldn’t like that.” Wendy firmly said.


“Fine.” Seulgi said. Then they went out. They rode Seulgi’s car. They arrived at the cemetery. Joy and Wendy just waited in the car. They want Seulgi to have her time.


Seulgi’s now in front of his parents’ and brother’s remains. She talked to them. She cried. She let all her emotions, frustrations out. Seemed like a few hours passed. She hasn’t stop crying. She passed out again.


Mark and Jackson followed to where they are. It has been a few hours and Seulgi hasn’t come back to the car yet. Mark and Jackson has a good news with them. JB’s condition is now stable. But he is still under observation. He hasn’t woke up yet. They think he is waiting for Seulgi.


Wendy called Seulgi. But she’s not answering. Worry rain over them and they went to look for Seulgi. They found her lying on the floor. Jackson rushed to her and carried her to the car. He placed Seulgi at the backseat, her head on Joy’s lap, he’ll be driving Seulgi’s car with Joy and Seulgi. Then Wendy with Mark. They rushed to the hospital.


As they arrived, Seulgi was put in emergency. JB’s family and their friends were shocked as to what happened to Seulgi. She passed out due to exhaustion, dehydration and fatigue. She’s been asleep for more than 24 hours.

 

February 18, 2019


‘whe-where am I? Ho-hospital?’ Seulgi thought, as she opened her eyes. She started to cry. Startling Wendy who’s inside the room. “Jaebeom, where? Is he?” She asked Wendy.

“Calm down seul, he’s alive, he’s stable now, but he’s still under observations. Wendy told Seulgi.


“Can I go see him now? Please?” She begged Wendy. Wendy smiled at her, “Yes, let’s go.”


They reached JB’s room, they saw his parents, Nayeon, and Jinyoung asleep inside. They walked in, as silent as possible.

 

Tuuttt.. tuuttt… tuuttt…tuuttt…sounds you can hear in the patient room.

Seulgi sat beside JB’s bed. “Seul, I’ll go out for a moment okay? I’ll arrange your discharge” Wendy whispered to her, Seulgi just nodded.

When Wendy was out of the room, Seulgi stared at JB and whispered, “I’m sorry beom-ah... I was scared… But I’m here now... Please don’t leave me... too...” she’s holding JB’s hand. She felt it’s like déjà vu. She planted a kiss on JB’s hand that she’s holding. She closed her eyes and prayed. She prayed that JB will be fine…

JB felt someone is holding his hand. When his eyes opened, he saw Seulgi with her eyes closed, holding his right hand, and seems like she is praying. He just stared at her. When she opened her eyes and looked at him, he smiled at her.

“Beomie..” Seulgi cried and hugged JB tight. “I’m sorry beom-ah, I did not go here immediately that day. I was scared. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I was afraid I’ll lose you too. Mianhe beomie..”

JB wiped her tears and caressed her cheeks.. “Stop crying now gom-ah, I’m fine now, I’m fine now that you’re here, I won’t leave you.”

Nayeon woke up and shouted, “Oppa!” and run to hug him, their parents and Jinyoung was awakened by Nayeon’s loud voice, got up and went near JB’s bed.

“Oppa! Thank god you woke up! Oppa I missed you.” Nayeon cried, she hugged her brother tightly.


“Ouch nabong-ah, not too tight.” JB grimaced.  “Mianhe oppa,” Nayeon scratched her nape. “Unnie!” then she went to hug Seulgi.


His parents and Jinyoung hugged him too. And asked how Seulgi’s been. Their friends heard the news and went to the hospital to personally see JB and Seulgi. According to the Doctor, JB can be discharge after 2 days if he’s not feeling any pain.

 

However, in Seulgi’s case, she passed out again, her heart weakened and her brain and heart activity are monitored. She’s experienced extreme fatigue, trauma, exhaustion, and dehydration.  After 3 days, she’s discharged but she’ll be closely monitored.

----


A month passed, JB and Seulgi spent a lot of time together, and not letting each other be out of sight. They were advised to be have a rest. Be healthy and well. So they decided to stay in JB’s hometown. Where they could have fresh air. Over the month, Seulgi still happened to feel headache and has passed out almost thrice a week. Until, a Friday morning, she’s in the kitchen, wiping the counters, when she felt a sharp pain in her head. She screamed. She fell on the floor clutching her head. JB and his parents ran inside. JB rushed to her and held her in a bridal style, “What happened baby? Are you okay?” concern is laced on his voice. “My head aches. I can’t see. I’m scared beomie.” Seulgi said, she’s very nervous and very scared. JB carried her to the car, they will bring her to the hospital. His father will drive.


During the drive to the hospital, Seulgi felt another sharp pain in her head. “Beomie..It hurts..it hurts.. I’m scared.. What’s happening.. I’m scared..” She cried out.
JB’s parents are very nervous. JB just held Seulgi as he doesn’t know what can make the pain go away. He’s very scared too. He kept on whispering to Seulgi, “You’ll be fine baby, you’ll be fine, I love you. I’m here..you’ll be fine”.


They have arrived at the hospital and Seulgi was put on emergency. Shortly, Wendy, Mark, Jinyoung, Jackson and Joy came to the hospital.


After what seemed like 3 hours, the doctor came out. He looked like he’s about to say a bad news. JB and the others stood up to the doctor.


“I’m sorry to be saying this, but it seemed that Kang-ssi suffered a brain distress caused by the extreme emotional turmoil, trauma, stress, and exhaustion. And we’re sad to say that she might fall into a coma, we’ll transfer her to a private room, and she’ll be monitored. And we’ll only allow two visitor. And if she wakes up, she’s allowed to have 3 to 4 visitors. Please excuse me.”


JB slumped back to his seat. He has his elbow placed on his lap, his palms covering his head. He can’t believe it. He can’t believe this is happening. They comforted each other. They can’t believe it. Why Seulgi has to experience this.


Seulgi was transferred to a private room. Around 2 days later, JB has never left her side. JB sang to her. Hoping she can hear him. JB’s been crying. Seulgi woke up. In her dreams, she saw her parents and brother. They talked as if they were alive. She was asked by them to come back to the person singing…then she heard someone singing. When she opened her eyes, she saw a man, singing to her, while tears are streaming down his handsome face.

“Why are you crying?” she said in a hoarse voice. JB has his eyes widened. He immediately called out for a doctor. A doctor and Nayeon, as the attending nurse went in.

The doctor is checking her. JB noticed Seulgi has not talked to her again.

“Why am I here doc?” Seulgi asked the doctor. JB is confused. Nayeon just held his brother’s shoulder.

The doctor explained to Seulgi what happened. She just frowned at the doctor. JB just observed him. His heart his beating fast. He feels something is wrong.


“Why are you asking this Seulgi-ssi? Do you not remember what happened?” The doctor asked, Nayeon got nervous. She kept looking at her brother.


“I’m sorry doc, but what I can clearly remember is that yesterday I was at home, my parents and I are talking about what happened with our day..then I woke up here……then-” Seulgi paused and looked at JB and Nayeon with their eyes wide. Then she looked at the doctor, he motioned her to continue with what she was talking about..


“I also remember before I woke up, that in my dreams, I’m talking my parents and brother. They kept telling me that I should come back to the person singing, I heard someone singing. Then when I woke up and saw that man crying while singing.” She continued and pointed at JB.


“I assume my parents are dead, am I right?” she then asked, and she felt sad. She looked at JB. She remembered she was talking to her parents and her brother in her dreams, which felt real to her.


“Why were you crying Mister..?”


“Im Jaebeom. JB.” JB feels like the world was pushed down his shoulders. Seulgi doesn’t remember him.


“Uhm, Kang-ssi, may I please ask you to come with us for a brain CT-scan?” Seulgi just nodded. JB excused himself and called Wendy to let her know about what happened to Seulgi.

----
 

When Seulgi was brought back to her room, she saw Wendy and Mark but she can’t recall him.

“Wannie-ah, thank god you’re here.” Wendy hugged Seulgi. While hugging Wendy, she asked, “Who are these people Wannie?” She means Mark, Jackson and Jinyoung.

“Seul-ah, how are you? How are you feeling? We’ve been worried about you” Mark walked forward beside Wendy. Seulgi flinched. She doesn’t know who Mark is.

“Wait babe, can you not bombard with questions? Let her rest first. She’s still needs to recover.” Mark was about to interrupt but Wendy looked at him and shook her head to him.

“Wannie, who is him? He seem know me but I can’t remember him. I feel dizzy already trying to remember who he is. And you called him babe!” Seulgi whispered to Wendy. Wendy knew this already as JB told her about this. “He is one of our friends seul-ah. I understand that you may feel uncomfortable. But don’t worry, he is nice, and he is my boyfriend. His name is Mark” Wendy told her and smiled, patted Seulgi’s head.

“bwoh? You have a boyfriend already? Omo! Really” Wendy just laughed at her.
“Nice to meet you Mark-ssi!” Seulgi smiled at Mark. Mark smiled back.

The doctor came in. Nayeon and JB followed.

“Annyeong Kang Seulgi-ssi, and to everyone. We have studied your CT-Scan results and behavior earlier, it seemed that you have selective amnesia caused by your brain distress. You might not remember a certain period of your life, or to put it frankly, the recent period when you felt the most traumatic events in your life.” Everyone was shocked knowing this. Then they looked at JB. Seulgi’s just looking at the doctor while unconsciously playing with the engagement ring on her finger.

“hmm. Doctor, what can we do to help her regain her memory?” Wendy asked looking at JB.

“I advise that you all help her by telling her what happened after the last memory she remember, take her to places that can make her remember everything, but never force her to remember if she can’t because this can also do worse to her. There is no known cure to fix amnesia, a person’s brain is very complex, that it can choose to do what it wants, we can only hope for the best. But I’m prescribing her medicine for the pain that she might encounter later on. Please do take note of this.” The doctor explained,

“Thank you Doctor.” Wendy said and followed the doctor out. To arrange for Seulgi’s discharge and medicine.

JB just observed Seulgi. He felt devastated. Seulgi does not remember him, their relationship. Nayeon is still inside the room, to remove the IV drip on Seulgi.

“uhm, Nurse-ssi? Can I go home?” Seulgi asked Nayeon.


“I’m Im Nayeon. You can call me Nayeon.” Nayeon said carefully, as she doesn’t want to overwhelm Seulgi. “Yes you can now be discharged. Wendy unnie is arranging for it.”


“Oh, thank you Nayeon-ssi.” Seulgi said to Nayeon and smield. Nayeon just nodded.

Seulgi looked at the other guys inside the room. “Uhm, I’m sorry if I do not remember you, Mark-ssi, JB-ssi.”

“Also me unnie, I’m your friend. I am JB oppa’s sister.” Nayeon pouted. Seulgi found her cute. “Ara..ara.. Nayeon-ah”

“Do you want to eat something unnie? I’ll go get you food, okay? Just wait here.” Nayeon said, and looked at Mark motioning him to come with her so that JB and Seulgi can be alone.

“a-aah, I’ll go with Nayeon. We’ll be back.” Mark followed out. Leaving JB and Seulgi. JB took the hint and sat on the bed with Seulgi. Seulgi however felt comfortable with JB.
She still kept on playing with the ring on her finger.