FOUR

AQUIVER - SP


***

"Do you want a bag?"

 

Yeri is losing her focus, the convenience store's employee needs to tap her hands to make her pay for her stuff. All kinds of snacks and foods to distract her all night.

 

"No, thanks. I'll eat here."

 

But now that she's thinking about it, spending time outside and away from Jungkook will probably make her feel better.

 

Yeri takes a seat in front of a long table that was placed at the side of the convenience store, she opens one pack of snacks and a bottle of milk while sighing. She really wants to drink a beer or something but being pregnant is stopping her. This is not her first time dealing with this, so more or less she is already aware how to act without people telling her to.

 

"Totally overreacting."

 

She can't stop thinking about what just happened between her and Jungkook. 

 

This is the first fight they ever had after him being her husband again. They used to fight a lot when they were young, but they've been holding it so much in their second life together. 

There were times when she got tired of him from being so focused at his work and not letting her know about what was going on in his life, but she never talked about it to him.

She gets afraid if Jungkook will find her annoying and controlling just like how she acted before the divorce. 

 

But now that she is here, feeling angry and frustrated over what he's doing made her realized that she should've been talk it out with him since the beginning, from time to time so none of them will feels disappointed and mad at each other this much to the point that he chased her away, when she is pregnant and he knows about it.

 

"It's hurting my pride."

 

Honestly, if this has happened in their first marriage, Yeri will probably run away. But this time round, she didn't get sad and angry too much compared to what she would feel if this had happened a few years ago. She feels fine, just annoyed but not dramatically hurting. So of course she won’t run away and act like a child.

Because.. Given how much Jungkook has been taking care of her for the past few months, it wouldn't be fair to treat him bad over one time incident when he always tries his best to be a better husband for her most of the time.

 

“Mrs. Jeon?”

 

She is already on her third pack of snacks when someone is approaching her, one of the security from her apartment. He seems to be coming here for a break.

 

“Oh, good evening.”

 

Yeri gave him a smile and bowed her head lightly.

 

“Mr. Jeon was looking for you earlier.”

 

That's news. She stares at him demanding for more explanation.

 

“He went out in a rush, and he asked about you. If we had known that you were here..”

 

“He left?” 

 

“Around 15 minutes ago.”

 

“Probably for work.”

 

The security gives Yeri a smile, and seems like he knows exactly how Jungkook is behaving. He has always come in and out till very late night for years.

 

“Yes, he's been a hard worker since he was young.”

 

He left her after a short chat, and Yeri spent more time eating before deciding to get back home. Jungkook won’t be here, so she will just take some time before she talks with him about this.

 


***

 

She’s not here.”

 

Yein is totally not expecting Jungkook to come here, in this hour, to find Yeri just like how it was a few years ago. She thinks things are going well for both of them on their second marriage because she never really hears complaints from her sister, and she only told her good things about her husband.

 

“Are you sure? You’re not hiding her from me, right.. Because she asked you..”

 

“No, did i ever do it? This is not your first time, and I always take your side.”

 

Yein is right, she is always the one who helps him to deal with Yeri for years when she acts like this.

 

“Try calling her again.”

 

“She left her phone.”

 

Yein’s place is like the fourth or fifth place he visited to look for Yeri, he is tired, confused, frustrated, and more than anything scared. He can’t stop thinking about her who was hurt for what he did and decided to leave again. Just like how it was before.

 

“What is going on? Did she get mad at you?”

 

“I told her to leave.”

 

“What? You kicked out my sister?”

 

He can not answer because he thought Yein will get mad at him, he’s avoiding her eyes but turns out that she’s laughing at him while holding his arms.

 

“You did good. She needs that sometime.”

 

“You won’t be saying that if you’re in my position.”

 

And it’s annoying, to see people treating your concerns as a joke.

 

Yein seems to notice his bad mood that she stops laughing now.

 

"I always thought that my sister would be having a hard time moving on from her past, but it seems like you are the one who failed to do that."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

Yein gives him a smile while looking around before she's continuing his talk.

 

"She never sees you as the old you again. For her, you are just a husband she got married to 4 months ago. You are like a new person for her."

 

Yein knows that Jungkook is doubting what she said very much, he's basically treating what she told him as a lie, but she knows she was right. Using your logic and every human emotions out there, Yeri can not get married to Jungkook again, even the craziest person will definitely say no for Yeri to get back with his ex husband if they knew about what was going on between them. So much mess, hurt feelings, tears, pain. Their relationship was a trainwreck, full of lies and pretend acts.

Both of them got hurt both mentally and physically, Jungkook almost died and Yeri got depressed, putting an end to it forever was the only way out she can think of regarding them.

 

"You know how much i hated it when she told me she's back with you."

 

"I know, but.."

 

"That's because I wasn't moving on from you. I saw how my sister's life turned into some kind of a black hole and I was angry at you."

 

"I regretted it."

 

"I know, I believe you because that's what i see, that's what everyone sees, that's what my sister sees. You are like a new person, Jungkook-ssi..and so does my sister. "

 

This conversation is becoming more intriguing that Jungkook can not help but, asking for more from Yein, what is she talking about, and what exactly she wanted to tell him.

 

" You can not keep thinking that she's still her oldself who's always running away to torture you everytime she had troubles with you and your marriage, she worked hard to be better too. Your life before, it wasn't just your fault, it was hers too. Give her a chance."

 

****

 

Yeri was going to wait for a little bit more when it is midnight and Jungkook is still not back from whatever he's doing. She waited because she rather talk to him right now instead of dragging their fight for too long. Tomorrow , he will definitely leave early, staying at work for such a long time, probably staying the night just like what he told her before.

She will have no chance to fix this.

 

She decided to keep waiting for another hour, until she can hear someone is entering the apartment, she does nothing when footsteps are coming closer and Jungkook is finally shown up. He didn't bring his bag or his laptop, only him on his training pants and a jacket, looking so tired and exhausted. He said nothing when their eyes met.

 

"You're coming back so late."

 

So she talked to him first while avoiding his eyes, and walking closer to him. No matter how annoyed she was, if Jungkook is still angry at her, she should be the one who fixes this. This way, their marriage will become better than before.

 

She lifts her face slowly to him when she finally stands in front of him while biting her lips, thinking what kind of words she's going to say. She has a plan to apologize but everything is ruined when the only thing he does is handling her phone from his pocket to her hands.

 

"Bring this next time you're going out."

 

He didn't sound mad or angry like before, he just sounds tired, so Yeri can not even ask him about why he's taking her phone while he's working. He's not saying anything further before leaving her devastated by what he did. 

 

Did he spend hours looking for her, at night? When she leisurely stays here, eating her food and hating him in her mind.

 

***

 

A relief, Jungkook ends up coming home after he's roaming around all possible places Yeri would visit. Yein's words are his only hope to actually find her again.

 

And to actually see her here is making him grateful that Yein was not wrong at all.

 

"I didn't know you were looking for me."

 

And the fact that Yeri is also not expecting his reaction makes him feel more ashamed. She probably thought that their marriage is fine now, that he is moving on from their past when he isn't.

 

"You told me to leave, so I did. I was angry so i stayed for awhile.."

 

It gets worse, when Yeri seems very surprised over what he did and talking really fast while trying to hold his hands, she was going to say sorry when this is not her fault at all.

 

"I didn't leave my phone on purpose, I am not leaving in hope for you to chase me like the old times. I have no plan to run away from you, I was trying to talk with you and fix things I did wrong.."

 

Yeri looks so frustrated, she even has tears in her eyes and this is really making him feel like a total jerk. She told him that while looking down and honestly, he's not even deserving her apology at all. He was the messed up one and not her

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Yeri already made up her mind to not show this side of her to Jungkook when they were in a fight, no tears and not crying because she doesn't want him to feel bad at her when they're arguing. 

 

But it's all changing when she realizes that Jungkook probably sees her as her old self, who doesn't even care about what he feels and decides to do whatever she wants even though it isn't fair for him. She ended up crying a lot.

 

"It's not your fault."

 

She responded nothing to him when he said those words while giving her a light hug before walking straight to his office. He seems very troubled, even more troubled than any other nights when he came home after work.

 

****

 

Yeri is trying so hard to fall asleep after Jungkook seems to give up to talk with her about what happened. He said he needs to work a little bit more so that she shouldn't worry about him, he told her to rest because he got concerned over her pregnancy. He is not angry anymore, that's for sure but Yeri doesn't feel relieved at all.

 

It's 4 in the morning when he's finally done and coming to her. He knows she is awake because she turns on the light right away.

 

"I can't sleep." She said that knowing he will tell her to do that.

 

Yeri gets down from the bed and walks while dragging a chair to a huge table in front of him. 

 

"Sit, we clearly need to talk."

 

She pushed another chair with her feets and told him to sit on that. So he does.

 

"I know that we never did this in our first one, but let's try and see if this is going to work or not."

 

She takes a deep breath before sweeping her hair and bringing her chair closer to him.

 

"I know what I did wrong."

 

"You've done nothing wrong."

 

"Then what was the reason you told me to leave ?"

 

Jungkook looks at her very seriously when he finally understands why he doesn't even bother to talk to her when this thing happened on their first marriage.

He doesn't want to be honest, he doesn't want to let her know his weakness and things he hates or he loves because it’d be like giving information to your enemy, to his mother. Since he thought Yeri was an accomplice and not his wife.

 

"I need to work and i can't focus while i'm arguing with you."

 

"And that won't happen if you were reacting to me being pregnant in a normal way and not adjusting to what i was thinking so you can act according to my liking, even though it was fake."

 

"I was being considerate to you, you were the one who didn't trust me and thinking that i'll hate my own kid, just because i was stressed about my job, you're thinking so low of me.."

 

Judging from how Yeri's reacting to what he said is obvious for him, she actually thinks she made a mistake. She's clearing and avoiding his eyes while taking her chair a little bit further from him.

 

"I've done something wrong then."

 

"For that part, yes."

 

She's not saying anything and it makes him feel bad to actually corner her with an argument where she can not win. Yes he was mad, but it's not like he hates her for that.

 

"I'm your husband and not your boss, you can make mistakes all the time.."

 

"But I shouldn't though."

 

“That’s not what i meant.”

 

“I know you’re just keeping up with me because you are afraid i'll leave you again if i dislike something from our marriage, just like how i did it before..”

 

Yeri is looking at him while shaking her head lightly, her eyes are dark and gloomy.

 

"But i am no longer like that."

 

And it's really hitting him, the way she said it. She looked so disappointed.

 

"You don't even trust me to become your wife. A proper one."

 

It is obvious, for the past few months Yeri spent her time with Jungkook as his wife, he always treated her as something so vulnerable. At first he thought that he did it because of her health condition, but now that she's thinking about it, she became suspicious of his intentions. It feels like he does everything because he doesn't want her to leave again. He still sees her as that cunning little lady who's torturing him with how well she can control him.

 

"I was doubting you because you were so busy with your work, and becoming a father will probably burden you, that's the only reason for what I did. Not because i think that you would be doing bad as a father and i will ended up with a misscarriage again."

 

"Yeri-ya.."

 

"I already erased all the bad parts of our past and i am trying so hard to see you and all the things i love about you instead of what i hate about you. It is not easy, but at least i'm trying."

 

Seeing Yeri and hearing what she said is actually making Jungkook feel like he did everything wrong all this time. Just like how Yein told him earlier, he's still not moving on.

 

"You promised me that our marriage this time will definitely be better, you told me you're going to present the better version of you to me, I trusted you completely. And I said the same thing to you too. I swear for my life that I'll try to become better too, but..."

 

"I trust you.."

 

"No, you're not. If you trust me, you wouldn't think that I left you earlier, you would tell me what happened to you at work, no matter how bad it was, and you would tell me that you want a kid instead of letting me guess what is on your head. It wasn't a consideration, it was fear."

 

There is a longing stare from Jungkook when she's finally done telling him everything, every feeling she's been holding on for the past few months. She hopes that all her suspicions prove to be wrong but it seems unlikely, Jungkook is agreeing with everything she said.

He is afraid of losing her and being left alone again, he's still having this kind of thoughts of her which ruined his life. He still can not forgive her, can not forget.

If she knew this is what he felt, she would rather wait to get married again, wait until Jungkook is sure about her.

 

"I love you."

 

"I know you do, but it doesn't change the fact that you still see me as a wife who deceived you, a gold digger who only cares about your money, the one who runs away only for the sake of her pride."

 

Honestly, Yeri is aware she will gain nothing from this, so she ended up getting up from her seat, folding her hands while thinking that this marriage was hard the first time she went through it, why would she think it would be easy the second time?

 

She let out a sigh and turned her face away from Jungkook while trying so hard to suppress the disappointment she had for him.

 

***


 

"I see you as my wife who's given up on me."

 

It's complicated, it is true that Jungkook is still not moving on from their past, but it's not from Yeri who's hurting him but from the way she left. From the way she showed him how many mistakes he made to the point that she chose to leave, when he never thought she would.

The two years after Yeri is gone from his life, all the regrets. He can't forget any of that.
 

"I failed you. We did every worse way possible to hurt each other and you never left."

 

 What he said is enough to make Yeri walk back to him.

 

"I know i messed up so badly when you came to me one day and asked for a divorce.. i can't move on from that. From my guilts and.."

 

"We both messed up, how many times have I told you this? We both were equally wrong with what happened on our first marriage. I did nothing good. So let me fix things too… it's our life together and not just yours."

 

Yeri seems so done with this, she gets out of the room and he can hear her walking fast and opening the guest room, from the way it sounds. She is definitely locking it.

 



 

 

Yeri thought sleeping would help to put her mind at ease, but when she woke up after two hours and found herself still very angry at Jungkook, she realized that she was so disappointed in him. 

 

But just like how it used to be, no matter how mad she is at him, she can't bring herself to stop taking care of him, even when their marriage was a complete wreck and she thought she already fell out of love with him, she never stopped caring.

 

She reached for her phone and sent a message to her mom that she has plans to stay back home for a few days, her mom called her immediately and Yeri just told her that Jungkook is busy and she doesn't want to stay alone, so she gave her a yes.

 

She opens the door very slowly, hoping that Jungkook won't wake up so she can have a small break from their fight last night . 

 

But it seems like her plan won't work because Jungkook is sleeping while leaning his back to a wall next to her door. His head is down and for someone who just went through so much, Yeri realized how this situation could've been hard for him, so she's squatting down in front of him, touching his shoulder trying to wakes him up..and when he does she is aware that Jungkook has so many things to say but she is afraid if listen to all of it in a situation where she mads at him will make everything worse.

 

"You will be late for work."

 

Cold. The only thing Jungkook could feel from Yeri is this much amount of coldness. He was trying to say something but failed to find suitable words. So the only thing he is doing is watching her busy with her morning routine. He keeps watching her until Yeri gives him a glare and shows him her watch.

 

"You will be late, seriously."

 

She is right, so he takes quick steps to do his routine. He finished in less than 20 minutes.
 

Back to the kitchen where Yeri is almost done preparing for his breakfast,  he walks fast to her and holds her from the back, if he can not bring words to say sorry maybe an act will work better.

 

"I'm almost done."

 

She's trying to freeing herself from him and experiencing this right now is basically a torture. He ended up taking a seat while waiting for her to take another one next to him.

 

"You know.."

 

He only has two bite of his food when Yeri starts talking to him again.

 

"Can i stay with my mom for a few days?"

 

What a surprise, honestly. She seems very nervous about telling him that.

 

"Why?"

 

"I'm still mad at you, I'm afraid if we will go through tons of arguments and fights again, I will end up saying things I didn't mean to say because I was so stupidly sensitive."

 

Jungkook is definitely not taking her requests as it is. He seems annoyed but also confused. He stopped eating his food and put everything aside before he looked around and back to her again while losing up his ties.

 

"I am not running away... i.. i.. told you first. "

 

Yeri is trying to defend herself because she is aware how much Jungkook will hate this.

 

"Please.." 

 

So she pleaded for that.

 

"I'll take care of everything at work quickly, and i'll come to get you immediately."

 

"Fine, we will talk after you feel better. Just for a few days."

 

"I could be done by tomorrow, what do you mean a few days?"

 

"I need a few days. I was so angry last night that I regretted getting married to you again. This is bad, Jungkook-ssi."

 

Jungkook is totally not expecting that, judging from his reaction. It's probably really offending to hear this from her. He worked hard , so hard to make and do everything according to what Yeri wants but she still ended up treating him like this.

 

He's not answering but giving a little nod to her and takes his bag before he leaves her without saying anything further. She does nothing but walking with him until the front door. He is totally angry but she can't do anything about it, she is not happy either.

 

"Take care of your health."

 

That's what he said when he gave her one quick peck on her forehead and rubbing her belly slowly. He seems to not forget that Yeri is pregnant right now. She feels a little bit better because of that.