The Weight of Knowledge

Eight Point Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho helped Changbin lift Felix carefully after Chris had settled into his saddle, placing the still unconscious man in front of him. Chris had been insistent on being the one to carry him, unwilling to let anything else happen to him, and Minho could also feel guilt rushing off of the other man in waves. Chris had been the one who had instisted on going to the Tower of Levanter in the first place, and now the place that had made Felix uncomfortable had hurt him, as well. 

 

Changbin turned to Minho after settling Felix, smiling grimly. "There's an inn about half a day's ride from here that we can stop at and rest. I don't know if we'll be safe there, but it'll be better than putting Felix on the ground to sleep in his condition." As he spoke the last part, his eyes swept over the delicate boy, frowning. Chris nodded at him, sparing him a smile in return. 

 

"Okay. That sounds like a good idea, since that'll give us all a chance to get some rest in a while. Thank you," Minho glanced at Chris, but felt pain from him as the other man turned away as he shifted in his saddle as an excuse. He also noticed that Chris had touched a gloden fox amulet on chain around his neck, whispering something. Cocking his head in curiosity, he knew that this wasn't the time to wonder what he was doing, but couldn't help it. After he had gotten on his own horse, he smiled at Chris. "What was that?" 

 

Chris laughed, Minho feeling amusement for once. "It's an enchanted necklace Felix was given by Jaehyun. It anyone touches it and says the right words, you can get through to Jaehyun and he'll know where to meet you at the right time." He glanced down at Felix, pursing his lips. "I'm sure he'll want to be there, and I know that Fe will want him there, as well. He's going to ask for Jaehyun for sure when he wakes up, and I won't disappoint him." He turned his horse, shaking his head as his mood shifted again. "Anyway, let's get going." 

 

"Huh. That's really cool," Minho mumbled, unsure if Chris was listening to him, but getting a nod in return. Without another word, Minho turned his own horse to follow them, noticing that Hyunjin and Jisung had taken up the rear with their bows ready to use in case of an attack. Minho glanced back at the cursed Tower again, lamenting the potential help that could have come from the Mages, if they hadn't been so hell-bent on getting the revenge that they had finally succeeded in. He definitely didn't see Felix's ordeal as comparable to the swift death that Yugyeom had received, but Mage Minjun had seen it as so, and that had been enough to send them away. He also had the strong feeling that this had been what the Mages had wanted, hoping to send them to their deaths after they faced the enemy and got rid of the problem. To Minho, it was crystal clear that they didn't care about their well-being, but wanted they to pay. He was determined to not let that happen, finding that he cared for a few people for the first time in his life. They wouldn't win this fight. 

 

 

Traveling for several hours on horseback was something that Minho was now getting used to, but it still didn't take away the aching muscles that he very noticably felt every time they stopped to rest, but he made sure to keep their goal in mind: get Felix to safety, and defeat the monsters who had caused it. This caused him to push forward, past the pain in his legs and backside. After a suspiciously uneventful day, he could see a small, quiet town come into view, the lanterns that were lit up having been hung out to look very similar to street lights to him as they lit up the snowy dirt road against the darkening sky. He had been expecting only about half a day way, but with the stops they had made to use to bathroom or rest and allow Felix to lie down for a moment, it had been understandable, so he wouldn't complain. He wasn't the one who was still unconscious. 

 

Once they reached the inn, Minho and Changbin carefully lifted Felix off of Chris' horse, carrying him inside as the others took the horses to the stable that was directly across the road.

 

On the way inside, Minho noticed a tall, broad young man watching them, smiling at them before his eyes fell on Felix. The man's face appeared to be friendly, and there wasn't anything about his demeanor that gave Minho any reasons to not trust him. Chris did notice that Minho seemed curious about him, so motioned towards the newcomer. 

 

"Minho, this is Jaehyun, the man we've been talking about. He's Felix's..." he shrugged, "person. And he's here for that reason." Chris smiled at Jaehyun, knowing that his support was very much appreciated. 

 

Minho flashed a quick smile, noticing that while Jaehyun did return the gesture, the action didn't reach his eyes. Minho did understand that, given the current situation. "It's nice to meet you. I'm glad you're here, too." 

 

Jaehyun pursed his lips, his dimples showing very clearly then. "I came as soon as I heard about it, so yeah." He shared a knowing look with Chris, adding more curiosity to the situation. Minho had a feeling that there was something else he wanted to share with them, but also knew that this wasn't the right time or place. They carried Felix to the room they had been directed towards, laying him down on one of the beds carefully. Jaehyun sat down on the bed next to him, taking Felix's hand in his own, an action that did gain a positive reaction in the fragile man as he stirred slightly for the first time. Felix still looked very pale, causing his freckles to become

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter