The Pawn of the Tower

Eight Point Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While they were on their way back to the house, even Chris could feel a certain, ominous tinge to the air. The sun was high in the sky, and everything looked perfectly normal, except for the dark cloud that was sitting directly about the house they were staying in. When he looked closer, the young Konharn native could see that it was the same thing that had chased them on the way back to the Tower. He had never read anything about it, so didn't have any ideas of what it could be. All he knew was that it wasn't good.

 

Glancing at Minho, he touched him on the arm as they reached the door to the house, feeling protective over him. Minho didn't pull away, which could have been attributeted to the panic Chris could feel coursing through him. Minho raised his hand to the doorknob, feeling dread as he did so. Something bad was happening, and he now regretted leaving the house at all. Opening the door carefully, he felt the same dark, nearly nauseating sensation he had gotten the day before. Though his instincts were telling him to turn and run the other way, Minho pushed the feeling down and continued on through the sitting room and down the hall. He could feel his chest tightening as he followed Chris toward the Mages' bedroom. They weren't sure what was going on, but knew that Minjun and Wooyoung likely know what was happening and could help with it. 

 

Norrowing his eyes in concern and confusion, Minho tapped Chris on the arm, shaking his head and pointing toward Felix's bedroom instead. Chris' eyes flicked to the room he had directed to towards, tuning to him. 

 

"What are you feeling? Something bad is happening, but why isn't it out in the open attacking us?" Chris spoke softly, his voice full of concern and worry as he reached for the handle. Even before his hand touched the black metal, he could feel something pulling on his ring, the sensation coming across as a strange tickle on his skin. 

 

"I don't know, but it was something that wanted us here," Minho jumped as he felt the room on the other side of the door shake as a resounding crash vibrated through the floor. As soon as they heard Felix scream in pain, Chris threw the door open when he heard Felix, unwilling to let his friend get hurt any more that he already was. Once the door was open, he saw that Wooyoung was in the room, but had been knocked to the floor, with a strange, black goo on his face. He could see the same substance covering Felix's arms as he wrapped around him tightly and made its way down to his hands. Noticing that they were the only ones in the room, Chris turned his attention to the substance, an overwhealming feeling of sickness overtaking him. Reahing out to it, he was about to tear it off with his bare hands, when he heard Minjun's voice behind him. 

 

"No! Don't touch it. If you touch that, the entire house could be in danger of going up," Minjun met Chris' angry eyes as he stood firm, unwilling to let him help Felix. 

 

Chris stood staring at him, unsure of what to say, when Minho took over. "Oh, bull! Whatever that is, it's hurting Felix, so no, we can't just leave it alone. How to hell did it get in, anyway? I thought you guys were supposed to be all powerful or something. What the hell?" 

 

Minjun shook his head, glancing at Minho in exasperation. "I don't know how it got in, since this tower is protected by several wards. I think it went for Felix because it can get to him easiy, as he won't fight it. It got in here and latched onto him, and by the time Wooyoung got in here, he only had a second to try to fight it before it knocked him out." Minjun glanced towards to door, noticing that Chris was already gone. "It's the power in that cloud above us that created this thing, so taking it out is the only real way to get it to let go of Felix before it pulls that ring off of his finger." 

 

Minho was glad that Chris had left the room, knowing that he wouldn't be happy with what he was about to say. "You know, Minjun? I heard your entire conversation last night, and I know that you don't actually give a crap about us. All you want is revenge now, and that doesn't look good on you at all. If you want this to be defeated and we're the only ones who can do it, then let us do our jobs without your help. We don't need your crap, and we definitely don't need your anger directed at us. If you're gong to direct that anger, go for this ing thing that has Felix trapped." As he was speaking, Minho glanced at Felix, and he could see trust in his young friend's eyes. He wasn't going to let him down. "Now, we're taking care of this, with or without your help. Honestly, I don't care

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter