The Cost of Power

Eight Point Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nestled deep within the forests of Levanrya, far away from the prying eyes of the capitol of Azura and high in the Silver Mountains, lay the Tower of Levanter. This was the place where all of the high lords of each main city met to discuss issues that have arisen and how to deal with them. Having changed over from a monarchy two centuries before, they took pride in holding all of the power for the country, and more often than not, they were loved for it by the people of the land, as they made everything good for everyone and ruled fairly. This required all magical power and objects to be documented and watched closely by the Tower, lest anyone fell into a dangerous situation with their magic. It was a good safety measure, and all of the people of Azura knew that they were safe, and so was their precious magic. 

 

This particularly cold morning, however, something felt amiss. High Lord Minjun could feel it in his bones and in the magic all around him. It was as if a dark cloud had settled and he shivered as an icy chill ran down his spine. The balance of magic was off and he could feel the power building, though, despite his power as a mage, he couldn't pinpoint exactly where this magic was coming from. All he knew was that the balance was off and there was dark magic being used somewhere out in the land. The old mage turned toward the door when he heard it begin to open, smiling when he saw that it was one of his favorite nephews, Yugyeom, who was a scholar in the arts of magic and learning very quickly. 

 

Yugyeom smiled at his uncle, his face lighting up as he looked down at the small box he held in his hands. "We finally found it, Uncle. It took the lives of two of my men to obtain it, with how strong the power was," he frowned then, regret flashing across his handsome face. "The Eternity Sphere is safe and in our hands now. I guess we can do what needs to be done with it," he added, smiling with uncertainty. "I'm not sure exactly what that would involved. It's here, none the less." 

 

Minjun stared at the unopened box, unwilling to take it himself. "Thank you very much. I'm aware of what you went through to obtain it. If you'll open it for me, that would be appreciated. That way, it will stay in the same hands that carried it into the Tower," he smiled at Yugyeom, his eyes flicking only briefly away from the box to his nephew's face. 

 

Swallowing hard, Yugyeom began to open the box carefully, lifting the lid of the iron away from his own face to reveal the shiny red stone that was tightly packed into the crevices of the cloth it currently lay on. Minjun blinked twice,his heart racing as he stared at the rare sphere. It held more power than all of the mages in the Tower, and he knew that this power would be a huge asset to the country. There was just one more thing he needed to test with it before he touched it himself. Turning away from the stone and back to his nephew, he smiled at him. "If you could tak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter