Chapter Six: Ramen

Keeping Up With The Jungs

Jinsol was playing with her feet while waiting outside of Jungeun’s school. She’s so happy because their relationship escalated to another level. 

One step at a time. She reminded herself. For now, the important thing is to deepen her friendship with Jungeun.

Jinsol’s out is an one hour earlier than Jungeun, but she’s willing to wait for her crush just to spend more time with her. She’s not scared to talk to the brunette first anymore, but there are still times where they are awkward with each other. That’s the reason why she planned to take Jungeun to a place where she thought it would make them closer than what they are now. A restaurant.

“There you are!” 

Jinsol quickly turns when she hears the voice of her favorite person. She smiles at her. Jungeun mirrors her action. 

“Hey,” Jinsol walks, meeting Jungeun halfway. “How were the quizzes?” 

Jinsol couldn’t call or text Jungeun yesterday night because Jungeun told her that she needed time to study for the quizzes today.

Jungeun sighs. “It was pretty good.” She made a face. Honestly, it was rough.

“It was?” Jinsol surges forward towards Jungeun’s. “Why do you have that face then?” 

To the brunette’s surprise, she didn’t have time to move or avoid the action. So, what she did was to act cool, but the burning sensation is rising inside of her. “W-well,” Jungeun lowered her head, avoiding the stare. She suddenly felt the burning sensation from her cheeks to her gut. 

Jinsol laughs. She thought Jungeun is so cute today. She took Jungeun’s things so Jungeun could at least have time to have rest or feel relaxed.

“N-no need to tha—” Jungeun fought. 

“You look tired and sleepy. I’ll carry them for you.” Jinsol flashes her uwu smile, that melts Jungeun’s heart even more. “Are you hungry? I know a place we could visit.”

Jungeun inhaled internally. She doesn’t want Jinsol to catch her feelings because for sure, Jinsol will tease the hell out of her. Worse, it will take weeks for Jinsol to stop. Worst, Jinsol will use that in every opportunity she’ll have. 

Jungeun likes the taller woman, but she thinks she’s too easy to get if she’ll give up and admit her feelings already. She wants the blonde to suffer, in a good way. She wants Jinsol to show sides of her, be open to her, and make Jungeun feel how she treats people who truly love her. 

Jungeun’s brows furrows. “Make sure to handle my things with care.” She got back to acting tough.

Jinsol was surprised by the sudden change of character but she doesn’t complain. She likes Jungeun's tough side too. “Yes, Your Highness.” She bows with her hand on her stomach and grins.

 

*****

 

Jungeun was pulling Jinsol away from the mini restaurant, more of like a small eatery. She doesn’t like the idea of eating the restaurant’s main menu. Jinsol doesn’t like it either, but the restaurant is giving an owl stuffed toy to whoever finishes their food in 30 minutes. 

Jinsol finds the price so cute. It motivated her to try the meal. Jungeun hates it so much. She doesn’t like it, never in her life. 

Spicy Ramen Challenge!

“I told you. I don’t like spicy food.” Jungeun protested, still pulling the taller woman.

“It’s only x3 spicy.” Jinsol insists, never even move an inch from where she’s standing. “And I really love this stuffed owl.” She pouts. 

Jungeun looked at the taller woman for about a minute before she sighs defeatedly. “Okay.” She gave up, making the blonde squeaks in joy. Jungeun suddenly felt guilty about fighting Jinsol earlier. “But are you sure you can eat it all?” 

“Of course! I am confident I can finish it in 15 minutes.” 

Jungeun’s eyes widen because of the information. Jungeun hasn’t seen Jinsol eat spicy food since they started eating together every after class. 

“Oh, come on.” Jinsol started pulling her inside the place. “Don’t look at me like I can’t do it.”

“For the past months, you claimed that you can do such things, you have never succeeded even once.” Jungeun rolls her eyes. 

“I’m pretty sure I will pass this time.” Jinsol comments with confidence. She winks at Jungeun before sitting in one of the tall chairs across the counter. “I will definitely get the owl stuffed toy for you.” 

Jinsol turns, ordering the main menu of the place.“Two super spicy ramen challenge, please.” She said with a peace sign near her face. 

“W-what!?” Jungeun makes an awful expression. “Who told you I am eating that too?” 

“Me.” Jinsol teased. “In case I lose, you can still get the prize.”

“Unbelievable.” Jungeun mutters. 

A woman, who’s the chef and the owner of the place, scan their faces as if they were criminals. She scoffs when she sees innocent expressions from the students in front of her.

“Is it your first time here?” The owner asks. 

Jinsol nodded enthusiastically, while Jungeun was secretly preparing herself for what's about to come. She doesn’t have any idea how spicy the food is but she knows for sure that it will be spicy for her. 

The woman started cooking the orders in front of her student customers. “I just want to tell you it only counts if you drink all the soup as well. You cannot drink water in between. And you only have 30 minutes to finish it all.”

Jinsol was taken aback with the information. She quickly gets the water tumbler from the side of the table and offers Jungeun a glass of water. “This is the act of bracing yourself.” She said in a monarchy tone as if she was pouring water to Jungeun like a princess from the old century. 

“Stop doing that.” 

“Doing what?” 

“That this-is-the-act-of-bracing-whatever.” Jungeun mimics Jinsol’s face and tone. 

The lady laughs in front of them. “You two are a cute couple.” 

Jinsol pauses, surprise.

Jungeun takes the glass of water and turns to her left to drink it, covering from the lady’s sight. She coughs as panic attacks her.

Jinsol took it as a chance to tease the shorter woman. But in all honesty, she really likes the comment from the lady. 

“Are we?” She asks, winking at the lady, telling her to ride along. 

“Y-yeah.” The lady throws some ingredients to the pan. “You look adorable.”

“Did you hear that?” Jinsol leans, teasing Jungeun more. 

“Oh, shut up!” Jungeun puts her hand on Jinsol’s face disorientedly.

“Here’s your order!” The lady announced. She transfers the huge bowls in front of Jinsol and Jungeun one by one. “Happy eating!” The lady smiles, leaving them to take the orders from another group of people from another table. 

“Itadakimasu!” Jinsol said confidently before separating the chopstick into two. 

Jungeun inhaled deeply. She already smells the spiciness.  “Itadakimasu.” She mutters, then she digs in. 

 

22 MINUTES LATER

 

Jinsol is tying her hair disorientedly. She feels hot everywhere in her body. Her face was pouring sweat. “Are you alright?” She asks Jungeun, crying.

Jungeun sniffs sharply every now and then. She’s had a runny nose since she started the challenge. “A-are you insane? Do I look okay to you?” Jungeun replied, crying too. “Why is it so spic—” Jungeun coughs. “...spicy.”

“I cannot do—” Jinsol didn’t finish what she meant to say when Jungeun turned, throwing daggers through her eyes. 

“You were the one who wanted…” Jungeun grasps her fist so hard when another wave of spiciness hits . She inhales. “You said you can do this, with confidence.

Jinsol pouts while brushing her sweat and tears off her face using the back of her hand. She wants to give up, that’s the truth. But she reminded herself of the reason why she accepted this challenge in the first place. 

The owl stuffed toy. For Jungeun

They both huff intermittently.

The lady passed by, laughing out loud. “Remember, you need to drink all the soup.” She reminded them, more to Jinsol.

Jinsol, with all the confidence that is left in her, with the courage and desperation to win the stuffed toy for Jungeun, pulled her bangs backward. Her forehead is visible now. She holds the huge bowl with her two hands, inhaled deeply, before drinking the soup in one go. 

Jungeun’s eyes widened with the sight before her. 

Though looking at Jinsol’s action, she doesn’t know if the taller woman is stupid of what, this surprises her. She takes it as her cue to pour some water to a glass and wait for Jinsol to finish the food. She cannot do anything to stop the stupid Jinsol so she took the initiative to wait and offer Jinsol a glass of water.

Jungeun coughs. “If you can’t take it anymore, you can stop.” Jungeun reminded the taller student, whispered.

Jinsol, as mischievous as she is, because she really is, shakes her head in disagreement, causing the soup to drop in the sides of her lips. 

Jungeun quickly reached out her hands below Jinsol’s chin to catch the soup as her instinct kicked in. 

But it didn’t stop Jinson from drinking all the remaining soup. When she finally drank the last drop, she carefully slammed the huge bowl on the counter, causing the owner to gasp in admiration. Jinsol inhales and exhales sharply, trying to get the spiciness out of . feels numb. 

Jinsol’s vision was blocked by a glass of water. Of course, offered by Jungeun.

“Drink that.” Jungeun demands, more like a command. Of course, Jinsol followed suit. 

“Wow,” the lady said.

Before Jinsol could react to the lady’s admiration, Jungeun suddenly punches her shoulder.

“I told you to stop!” Jungeun complained, she’s making a face that creates two lines between her eyebrows. Jinsol always finds that cute. Seeing it in the front row always makes her laugh. 

“Look at your face! You are draining with sweats!” Jungeun continued giving lectures but the blonde just flashes her uwu smile again, causing Jungeun to stop, panic. 

“At least I got the prize.” Jinsol said innocently. There’s no part in her face and neck that has no sweat. It looks like she just came out from the shower. 

 

After the restaurant’s owner took a photo of Jinsol holding the owl stuffed toy to be posted on their wall. 

 

“Here.” Jinsol gives the stuffed toy to Jungeun. “You must treasure it.” She said. Her face is still red and there is still visible sweat on her forehead. Jinsol’s eyes are still crying because of the food. 

Jungeun sneezed on a tissue paper before getting the stuffed toy from Jinsol’s hands. 

“I definitely will.”