Chapter Two: Ultimate Crush

Keeping Up With The Jungs

Note: This part of the story happened way back years ago when LipSoul were still high school students. This is only a glimpse of their younger selves. A glimpse of how they met. Featuring Yves and Jiwoo.

Enjoy reading and have a nice day!

*****

“Sol!” Yves whispered firmly, calling her best friend who is standing behind her. Yves was assigned to be the lookout for today. They are hiding behind the huge tree, in front of the famous all-girls school in the city. They were waiting for their crushes to come out from the entrance/exit gate. Yves aggressively grabs Jinsol’s shirt without even looking. “Come here!” She whispered, pulling Jinsol next to her. 

Jinsol already felt her body become ice, frozen and heavy. She’s here to see her crush but her heart was already pounding so hard. 

“Jinsol!” Yves called once again without looking at the girl behind her. “If you’re not going to do this today, I don’t know when will be your next chance.” She said truthfully. A long silence followed. Yves turned her head when she didn’t hear a response from her best friend. And was not even surprised to see Jinsol is currently facing the wall with her face millimeters away from it. By the looks of it, her best friend got scared. Jinsol was trembling too. There are beads of sweat on Jinsol’s forehead now. Yves sighed. “Jungeun and Jiwoo are already on their way to the train station. Come on-“

“I c-can’t...” Jinsol stuttered. 

Yves groaned. Yves can’t take it anymore. She grabs Jinsol by the collar and pulls the girl to wherever she goes, to the train station. She knows how much Jinsol likes the girl. She won’t waste any chance for her best friend. What Jinsol needs is a push, and she will do that if need be. It’s kind of funny to Yves though because Jinsol is really well known as a playgirl in their school, where in reality she’s just a clumsy girl, as . She’s a great failure in the Playgirl World. She’s not even a member, to begin with.

After a few minutes of pulls and hiding, they are already at the train station too. Still hiding behind a huge vending machine. “Sol,” Yves called, checking Jungeun status. She then looks back at her best friend and curses silently when she sees Jinsol has a lot of bruises all over her body. It may be the effects on pulling her so hard on the street. Yves knows her best friend has supernatural power but it’s still painful for her to see Jinsol gained a lot of bruises. And by what? By Yves pulling Jinsol so hard because her best friend just lay down there like her body has no life at all? Yves carried Jinsol like she’s dead meat all the way to the train station.

Yves knows this was going to happen. But she still goes for it because she wants Jinsol to get Jungeun’s number. Jinsol will never shut unless she gets it. Yves always hears Jinsol say, “I will get her number today! That’s for sure!” Every. Single. Day. But up until now, she still didn’t have it. Worst, she’s scared to even ask Jungeun. 

“Hey, seriously, Sol. Jungeun is already there,” She pointed to the direction where Jungeun and Jiwoo are standing. “A few meters away from where we are right now.” Yves is shaking Jinsol’s body to wake her up as if Jinsol’s soul left her body or was in another dimension. “If you’re not gonna ask her number today, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. Besides, you’re smart and strong. She’ll definitely like you.” Yves lied. Yves regretted mentioning the word smart. 

“Will she?” Jinsol suddenly asked like she just woke up from a dream. Yves smirked. She knows her plan is working. 

“Yeah! I heard she likes smart people like you.” Yves lied again. She really doesn’t know anything about Jungeun as she is only interested in Jungeun’s best friend, Jiwoo. 

Yves and Jiwoo became friends before the summer class started. There was a day when Yves saw Jiwoo at a convenience store and immediately asked for her number without hesitation. She hopes her appeal will have effects on Jiwoo but Jiwoo throws boiling noodles at her as her greeting instead. Yves didn’t mind honestly, but that caused her hospitalization though.

That was their first meeting. The rest of it was Yves asking for forgiveness for surprising Jiwoo and explaining everything about what she did. After that, they became friends, naturally. 

But Yves is hopeless when it comes to her best friend. So, she will lie just to push her best friend forward. 

“You know, she likes people who love building Gundam models too.” Yves continued. She swore to God, she just saw Jinsol’s eyes formed into heart shapes for a second there. Jinsol stands up as if she suddenly regains her courage to face Jungeun, her ultimate crush. 

“That’s it,” Yves said, brushing off the dust from Jinsol’s uniform, fixing it for her. “That’s my buddy. Do you remember what you're gonna say?” And just like that, as fast as Jinsol regained her courage is as fast she lost it. Yves catches her best friend with her arms when Jinsol was about to fall on the floor like melted noodles. She got scared again.

“Come on, buddy! You can do this!” Yves cheered up again. “Besides, I will be here for you all the time.” 

Jinsol stands up slowly, inhaling deeply to collect herself. “Okay,” she whispered. And just like that, she proceeds her tracks towards Jungeun and Jiwoo. 

The two other best friends quickly noticed Jinsol’s appearance meters away from them because of how bright her blonde hair is.

“There she is again,” Jiwoo whispered to Jungeun. 

Jinsol is suddenly aware of the stares she’s getting from the two girls. When her eyes and Jungeun’s eyes met for a second, her feet quickly glued to the ground. Her face becomes red like salmon. Yves threw her face into her hands and sighed when she saw Jinsol’s reaction.

Jinsol then slowly turned her body, like a depicted robot, then walked back to the vending machine. 

“Tell me honestly Jungeun, do you know Jung Jinsol?” Jiwoo asked silently when she saw Jinsol was walking away from them.

Jungeun shakes her head innocently. “I know her for so many reasons: like she’s filthy rich, a playgirl, a volleyball player and so forth. But if you’re asking if we formally met before, no.”

“So, you are just as curious as I am as to why she always does that every day?” Jiwoo asked without looking up from her phone.

“What do you mean?” 

“Like that. She’ll walk towards us but will quickly turn back to her tracks as soon as we look at her.” 

“Yeah,” Jungeun replied flatly. Jungeun shifted her attention back to Jiwoo’s phone. Jiwoo is playing the famous Adorable Home game. 

Yves sighed heavily, feeling hopeless as she saw Jinsol walk back to where she was. “Seriously, dude! Come on!” Yves whispered firmly. “You were almost there! Look!” She pointed out Jungeun’s direction again. Jinsol was walking like a zombie. 

Jinsol decided to carefully turn her head to see what Jungeun was doing. She inhaled deeply, feeling blessed when she saw Jungeun wasn’t looking in her direction.  

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this! She repeatedly shouted to her mind loudly. 

Yves clapped her hands once. She noticed Jinsol will do it again at any moment now. That’s it! Just ask Jungeun. “Just be confident. You’re just going to ask her number. It’s not like you are going to murder her or what.”

“Yeah,” Jinsol said, almost like a whisper. She then walks back towards Jungeun. She prays that everything will be smooth.

Yves felt like her heart was going to explode due to over happiness when she saw Jinsol finally stand in front of Jungeun. In front of Jungeun. Finally! She saw her best friend raise her hand. Jinsol was probably greeting Jungeun at last. She swore to the Gods above that she saw Jungeun smiled back at her best friend. Yves clasped her hands so hard. She is so happy for Jinsol. Though she can’t hear a single word from their conversation because she’s quite far from them, she’s still overwhelmed by the sight.

But Yves’s happiness was short-lived when Jinsol walked back to her suddenly, with a face like a burning hot pot. “Ugh!” She cursed. She just cannot believe Jinsol.

Jungeun wondered if she did something wrong with Jinsol. Why did Jinsol suddenly avoid her after she greeted her? Did Jungeun do something wrong? Is there something in Jungeun's smile? She was only greeting Jinsol back. She didn’t even get the chance to say hi to the taller woman.

Yves on the other side was feeling the urge to throw something at her best friend. Why does she have no confidence at all? Yves is standing behind the vending machine, hopelessly waiting for her clumsy best friend to come.

But before Jinsol could get near her, the blonde suddenly sits down, hugging her tall knees tightly. There was a long silence between the two of them for a few minutes. 

“She’s so cute when she smiles.” Jinsol suddenly announced, loud enough for the two of them to hear. Jinsol then throws her head back, as if she was looking at the sky but she was looking at Yves. She pouted as a sob was attempting to escape from her. 

Yves bent down, leveling her best friend. She holds Jinsol’s hands tightly. As if on cue, Jinsol cried like a baby. Yves did the same. She knew the exact feeling Jinsol was talking about the moment she saw Jiwoo’s smile up close for the first time before. 

They both ended up crying, like children lost their toys, behind the vending machine.

 

Author's Note: 

I got the inspiration from this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x6xQHJqNzc1eUgMaUP0j2bozAJIDckYvVPFMEnp8zp4/edit?usp=sharing