Chapter Three: The Most Powerful Esper

Keeping Up With The Jungs

NOTE: All the places, scenes, and characters are purely fictional.

 

City Z was silent and peaceful for weeks now for the first time in years. It’s really shocking to witness because City Z is known for being an abandoned city yet the busiest when it comes to crimes. But for whatever reason, the city is calm today. There weren’t monsters attacking the city or challenging Jinsol despite being a well-known superior superhero. Jungeun was wondering about it too but she took this chance to get outside the city with her whole family and visit her favorite restaurant. 

Jiwoo’s Eat-All-You-Can Tonkatsu.

“Have you told Jiwoo that we’re coming?” Jungeun asked after she heard the loud crumbling noise from her stomach. They are walking on their way to Jiwoo’s restaurant. Jinsol is carrying baby Choerry in her arms.

“Yeah, I did,” Jinsol answered flatly. She doesn’t really pay much attention to her wife as she was having fun throwing Choerry in the air. It’s been a long time since she does this. She’s so excited to break her record of the highest throw she did with Choerry. The last record and the highest height at the same time was 350 meters from the ground. 

“I’m so hungry,” Jungeun muttered under her breath while holding her stomach, trying to ease the pain a little more. 

“I told you to eat at least a bowl of cereal.” The taller woman replied. Jinsol was doing some warm-ups by throwing Choerry repeatedly in the air. Jungeun saw it but didn’t bother at all. She knew in her mind that Jinsol was trying to do her throwing play with Choerry to break her last record. She didn’t bother to lecture her wife as she’s more focused on her hunger. And also, this stunt is Choerry’s favorite play. After all, she knows Choerry is safe when she’s around them. She can catch her whenever she wants. 

They turned to another street, one more block until they reached Jiwoo’s restaurant. Jinsol threw Choerry in the air as her first attempt in breaking her record when someone called her name. 

“Jung Jinsol…” Some monsters called in unison from quite far from where they are. They called her as if they were seducing her. 

“Finally!” A monster added, laughing maniacally. 

Jinsol pauses on her tracks, head turned to her left to where the monsters are. Her hands were above her, opened widely, waiting for Choerry to fall into her hands any minute now. Jinsol is wearing this empty expression on her face that annoys her opponents. This Jinsol’s expression clearly tells them that Jinsol doesn’t really care about them at all . Seeing Jinsol’s annoyed face, her helpless face, is a great reward to her opponents, one of the reasons why they always challenge her. Imagine the feeling of seeing that from the powerful superhero in the country. That’s rewarding!

Jungeun continued walking, leaving Jinsol and Choerry behind. Jungeun knows inside that Jinsol can handle them easily. So, why bother?

When Jinsol successfully caught Choerry in her arms without looking, she blinked at the monsters, still had her deadpan expression, then followed Jungeun from behind, ignoring the monsters completely.

“Hey!” The monsters’ leader called. “We are here to challenge you into a fight!” They shouted so loud so Jinsol could hear it, yet, Jinsol was only playing Choerry’s nose with her finger. 

“Do you know them?” Jungeun finally asked, almost like a whisper. She doesn’t have strength as she’s starving to death. 

“No,” Jinsol replied. She continued playing with Choerry. Her daughter caught Jinsol’s finger with her two tiny hands and bit it. Jinsol didn’t flinch despite the fact Choerry’s teeth made a cut on her finger. Jinsol smiled internally. Her baby is getting much stronger than she imagined. “Don’t bother,” Jinsol said to Jungeun, whose stomach is roaring loudly. “Just focus your attention on the food you’re about to eat.” Jungeun flashes a smile to Jinsol. Jinsol mirrored her action.

They are almost at Jiwoo’s restaurant when the monsters from earlier suddenly appeared in front of them, causing them to stop walking. They both raised their heads at the same time. Both of them have blank expressions on their faces while looking at the enemies in front of them. 

Jungeun groaned under her breath, annoyed. Jinsol heard her wife’s grievance. She knows Jungeun is dying to take her first bite of the day. 

“Step aside, please,” Jinsol said to the monsters, more like a demand. But the monsters remain standing to where they are, laughing like crazies again. 

“I told you that we are here to challenge you in a fight!” The leader announced again. They suddenly show off their weapons in front of them. Some were sharp swords, some were metal tubes, and the rest are broken woods but thick. 

“Please,” Jinsol said again.

“Shut up!” The leader signals one of his soldiers to attack the family. The chosen soldier rushes towards them and jumps above the family. The Jungs were still looking at the monsters in front of them, not paying much attention to the danger that’s about to come overhead them.

Everything happened so quickly. When the monster almost landed on them, Jinsol gently pushed her wife to the side to avoid the attack, then shields herself and Choerry from the sharp sword using her arm. Jinsol didn’t move an inch from her position. Choerry was looking at the monster now.

The monsters were shocked to see that they weren’t any blood spill from Jinsol’s hand, as if her arm was made of steel. The soldier was struggling as he deepened her sword to Jinsol’s skin. But his efforts were useless when he saw nothing was happening at Jinsol’s arm at all. There wasn’t even a tiny scratch. 

Jinsol turned her head to look at the soldier but her full attention quickly shifted to her wife, who was standing at the corner. She saw Jungeun’s tied hair is now loose. The hair strap may have been cut from the soldier’s attack a while ago.

“Oh no,” Jinsol whispered. 

The leader heard Jinsol exclaim and was confused about what was that for. He then turned to see the other Jung, Jungeun, at the corner. He narrows his eyes but sees nothing changed at all. What was that ‘Oh no’ for? He thought. He didn’t wait for a response or answers, he immediately commanded her troops to attack the family. 

The soldiers engaged forward towards the Jungs when suddenly, an unknown force quickly stopped them in their positions. As if their body wasn’t in their possession anymore. As if someone’s controlling them. They’re now flying higher and higher in the air simultaneously. They feel like their bodies are made of heavy bricks. 

The leader noticed the creepy aura from the other Jung, the one who’s standing at the corner. It’s frightening the hell out of him.

“If I were you, I would run,” Jinsol suggested silently to him. She gave a nonchalant shrug. 

“There’s no way I cou—” He didn’t finish what he was about when he saw Jungeun swung her hand to her side, causing his soldiers to be thrown directly to the huge cement bridge behind them, bodies burst into pieces the moment the bodies made contact with the bridge.

Jinsol released a whistle after she saw the scene. Jungeun checked her daughter if she saw what happened, but Jinsol completely covered their daughter’s eyes with her hand. Jinsol winked at her. “I got it covered.” Jinsol now shifted her attention to the leader. “Run,” she mouthed. But he was too late to escape when Jungeun already caught him and floated his body in the air. 

The leader’s body is vibrating harshly. Jungeun was raising her hand, grasping it as if she’s holding something. 

“What are you planning to do?” Jinsol asked her wife. Jinsol looked at the monster, then to Jungeun. “What do you need?” Jinsol would like the people to know that she isn’t the most powerful Jung in the country. Maybe she is before she married Jungeun. Although she may be in physical terms, when it comes to other things, Jungeun is their biggest threat. 

Jungeun came from a family of espers and was recognized by her clan as the most powerful esper to date. Her psychokinetic power could even crisp an entire building. Actually, that happened once, when Jinsol flirted to other women. But the truth was Jinsol only asked for answers from her exam. Jungeun didn’t know the real story behind it up until now as she always refuses to listen to Jinsol’s explanation.

If Jungeun decided to continue as a hero up to this day, Jinsol would quickly lose her place to Jungeun. 

“I’m…” Jungeun's hands were trembling with anger. “...so ing…” As soon as she grasped her hands tightly, the leader’s body was squeezed into a tiny piece of meat. It was thrown somewhere when Jungeun suddenly tilted her head slightly to her side. “...hungry!” She shouted. The annoyance is still visible in her eyes. 

Jungeun inhaled deeply, then she brushed her hand through her hair and sighed heavily. “Let’s go,” Jungeun demanded. As soon as Jinsol heard it, she immediately followed her wife behind. 

She took one last glance from where the tiny piece of meat was thrown then whispered to herself, “Don’t blame me. I gave you a heads up earlier.” Jinsol sighed. She hugs her daughter tightly in her arms, then robs her nose to Choerry’s nose. 

 

Author's Note: 

This chapter was inspired by this tweet: https://twitter.com/forlipsoul/status/1237220486431608832
I imagined this is how the Jung couple looked at the monsters in front of them.

I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter. Thank you!