006

My Friendly Neighbor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When he received a call from Dahyun, asking help for a “little” problem that she was having, Taehyung never expected that “little” pertains to literally the size of the person that Dahyun was holding.

“Sooji wouldn’t stop crying,” Dahyun whined while holding the two-year old child of Yoona, “I tried giving her milk and playing with her, but nothing I did soothed her.”

Taehyung took the kid from Dahyun, and peaked at her diapers before mumbling, “She pooped, that’s why.”

Dahyun guided Taehyung to Sooji’s room, and she watched as he carried the little girl in his arms before laying the girl down on the crib. While Dahyun couldn’t deny how she was a little disgusted with the amount of poop in the diaper, Taehyung was a natural at the chore, never once grimacing at the stench.

Instead, he talked in a baby voice with a little pout on his lips as he said, “Omo. How come this much poop came from such a little girl? You were crying because you felt yucky with your own poop, right?”

The talking seemed to calm the baby down as her tears subsided.

“Don’t worry little Sooji,” Taehyung continued his baby talk as he changed her diaper, “This oppa is here to rescue you.”

He threw a glance at Dahyun before looking back at the kid and saying, “Did you have a hard time dealing with her?”

“She’s actually a good kid, but I just didn’t know what to do when she started crying,” Dahyun answered.

“I was actually asking Sooji,” Taehyung teased making him earn a playful punch from Dahyun. His gaze roamed around as he asked, “Why are you in Miss Yoona’s unit? Where is she?”

“She said she has a few things to take care of but usual babysitter it not available, so she asked me to look after Sooji,” Dahyun replied.

“But you don’t look like you have experience with kids,” Taehyung commented.

“My younger brother and I are only two years apart so I never really had to take care of him as a baby,” Dahyun stated, “But how can I decline Miss Yoona when she had pleading eyes and the kid is this cute?”

Taehyung heard Sooji’s giggle as if she understood Dahyun’s compliment.

“Unlike me, you look like you’re a pro at this,” Dahyun told him.

“I entered the orphanage at age seven; after three years, I knew that I was already too old to be chosen for adoption. I knew by then that I will be staying in that institution until I turn my legal age. So I tried my best to help take care of the kids, a simple payback for raising me too,” Taehyung narrated.

“It must be hard dealing with so many kids,” Dahyun said.

“Well, it’s fun too,” Taehyung shrugged. He stared at nothingness for a while before whispering, “It’s all fun until they start asking the hard questions – questions along the lines of why did my parents leave me?”

Dahyun said nothing as she stared at the male.

“Thinking about it, when they start asking that, I just digress the conversation because I also don’t know I answer.”

“I guess there are questions we learn to deal with by accepting that there are no right answers to them,” Dahyun whispered.

“Or maybe there are just questions that are better left unanswered so that we won’t hurt ourselves.”

Taehyung met her gaze before giving Dahyun a sad smile. He then glanced at the kid and noticed that Sooji had fallen asleep. He chuckled, “We might have bored her out with our conversation.”

“I bet she’s tired too,” Dahyun chose to ride the drift of their conversation, “We played lots today.”

“A kid meeting a kid,” Taehyung teased once more, “Congratulations for having a playmate.”

Dahyun pouted her lips and Taehyung chuckled as it resembled the pout that Sooji had on her lips.

“Hey, are you free on Saturday?” Dahyun mumbled.

“Are you going to ask for help again?” Taehyung asked back, “Maybe I should start charging you.”

Dahyun chuckled before shaking her head, “I’m having a party with Chaeyoung and others.  We are going to rent a KTV room. They told me to invite other friends I have, but you’re the only one I know who might possibly come.”

“Saturday?” Taehyung looked at the ceiling, “I guess I’m free on that day but wouldn’t your friends mind if I’m there?”

“You’re not that old, Taehyung,” Dahyun beamed at him, “I’m sure you still know how to have fun with other people.”

 

 

Taehyung grasped the ticket in his hand as he looked at the music theater. There was an enormous poster of Helene Grimaud, but his eyes were focused on the name that made his heart race.

Bae Joohyun.

He took a deep breath before proceeding on entering the venue. He lost count of how many times he fiddled with his fingers in order to calm himself. He was filled with so much excitement with the thought of seeing her again.

It didn’t take long before the lights of the hall were dimmed, and a huge spotlight shone on the stage. The curtains opened revealing a grand piano and before it was the woman that Taehyung longed to see.

His lips curved into a smile and his heart overflowed with glee.

Joohyun was as graceful and as beautiful ever. The white dress that she was wearing complimented her fair skin and her long ebony hair.  She played the piano keys so smoothly, creating music that soothed Taehyung’s heart.

The hall was filled with so many people but at that moment, Taehyung felt like it was only him and Joohyun – just like the way he would watch her play the piano back in his apartment.

Taehyung’s trance was only halted by the booming claps, and Joohyun stood up from her seat, charming everyone with a sweet smile before bowing.

As the lights dimmed once again, Taehyung found the pain coming back to him again.

People started clapping when the main act started while Taehyung took the opportunity to exit the venue. He went outside the theater and lit up a cigarette.

“Shouldn’t you stop doing things that are bad for you?”

Despite two years of separation, Taehyung knew that voice too well.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter