001

My Friendly Neighbor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Miss Kim, this is the apartment where you would live from now on.”

Dahyun looked at the building before her which was composed of three floors and seven units. She was the seventh occupant of the seventh unit of Apartment No. 7. It was the seventh day of the month too. Dahyun thought that the number of sevens that day should work in favor; seven had always been a lucky number for her.

The apartment was modest. Not too big, not too small. It was clean and located in a relatively busy part of the city. Fortunately for her, the doors were locked with pass codes so she didn’t need to worry about losing her keys.

Dahyun took a deep sigh as she took a seat. She would be staying here for her next four years in the university as an interior design student.

She didn’t bring much with her. Just some clothes. Her father told her that she could just buy all the other things instead of having trouble bringing much stuff. The apartment was fully furnished, anyway. She just needed to buy some finishing touches.

She formed two L’s with her fingers before putting it together to make a mini frame. She roamed her gaze towards her apartment and a smile grazed her lips as she could already imagine how she would design her own home.

“What should I do first?” Dahyun asked herself.

She gasped upon finally realizing that her mother had made her bring rice cakes to be given to her six neighbors.

The first floor had two units. One of them was occupied by an old couple, Mr. and Mrs. Yoon.

“Good afternoon,” Dahyun bowed as soon as Mrs. Yoon opened the door, “I am your new neighbor from the seventh unit. My name is Dahyun. Kim Dahyun.”

Mrs. Yoon had a warm smile on her lips but a confused look in her eyes.

“I wanted to give this to you,” Dahyun said as she handed the rice cakes.

“Who are you?” Mrs. Yoon asked.

“I am your new neighbor from the seventh unit. My name is Dahyun. Kim Dahyun,” she repeated.

Mrs. Yoon nodded before asking, “What are you here for?”

“I wanted to give this to you,” Dahyun repeated as well, showing the rice cakes she brought.

“Omo. Rice cakes,” Mrs. Yoon exclaimed and Dahyun beamed as she thought that Mrs. Yoon was already about to take the delicacies. But she looked at Dahyun and asked, “Who are you?”

Dahyun furrowed her brows in confusion as she looked at the older female.

“I’m Dahyun,” she whispered slowly, “I’m your new neighbor – “

Her statement was cut short when the door opened further, revealing Mr. Yoon.

“Ma, you didn’t drink your medicine this morning,” he told Mrs. Yoon.

Mrs. Yoon replied, “Sorry, Pa. I will be drinking it now. But there’s a girl in front of our door.”

Mr. Yoon looked at Dahyun so the girl repeated her introduction and her purpose. But the old man merely lazily stared at her and said, “Thanks for your effort, but both my wife and I have diabetes. No one here can eat that.”

Dahyun then went to the second unit in the first floor – one occupied by a woman in her 30s, a businesswoman named Kim Yong-Sun.

It took Dahyun a longer time to knock before she was greeted by a female who had messy hair and a disgruntled look in her face.

“Hello Miss Yong-Sun,” Dahyun greeted, “I’m your new neighbor – “

“Who told you my name’s Yong-Sun?”

“Uhm,” Dahyun mumbled, “The owner.”

She muttered a curse beneath her breath, “That freaking Nam Yoon-Do. Don’t call me that. It’s Solar.”

“Hello Miss Solar,” Dahyun corrected herself but the female was busy massaging her head, “I’m your new neighbor – “

“You already told me that,” Solar grunted, “What are you here for?”

“I wanted to give rice cakes,” Dahyun answered almost immediately, scared of the glares she was receiving.

“Does that remove hangover?” Solar squinted at her.

Dahyun shook her head.

“Then, I don’t want it,” Solar answered before closing her door.

Dahyun then went to the second floor, hoping for a better encounter with her other neighbors.

It was the owner who occupied the third unit. He introduced himself to Dahyun as Eric but according to Solar, he was named Yoon-Do. Dahyun didn’t even bother knocking as Eric had told her that he was not staying much in the apartment but only had a room reserved for him just in case he wanted to go home.

The fourth unit was inhabited by a family of Hwangs – Mr. Hwang Jung Min and his twins who were in high school, Yeji and Hyunjin. Dahyun figured that the one who answered the door was Yeji and the girl had strong features which made her look fierce even without trying. Yeji said nothing to her but she accepted the rice cakes before closing the door.

In the fifth unit lived a lady around her 30s who was raising a child on her own. Her name was Im Yoona. Dahyun was mesmerized as soon as she saw Yoona in person but Dahyun also saw the fatigue in her eyes. Yoona was massaging the back of her neck and it didn’t seem like she was paying attention to Dahyun at all as she kept glancing back to her child. She took Dahyun’s rice cakes with a smile, giving her a sincere thank you before immediately closing the door.

“Well, that was the best encounter, I think,” Dahyun mumbled to herself, “She got my rice cakes while I got a thank you.”

Dahyun prayed for her next-door neighbor to be kinder. She took a deep breath as she started knocking on his door but even after several attempts, there was no answer.

“Maybe he’s not home,” she whispered.

She was about to go back to her own unit when she heard footsteps coming to her direction. Dahyun raised her gaze and found a man who was wearing a business attire.

He was simply walking, but Dahyun couldn’t talk her eyes off of him. He swept his brown locks with his hand and Dahyun couldn’t understand why everything seemed to be in a slow motion.  As he got closer and closer towards her, Dahyun had a better appreciation of all his features.

He was stunningly handsome.

No. He was a masterpiece of his own.

“You’re blocking my way,” he spoke, halting Dahyun’s trance.

Too engrossed in the way his deep voice sounded, Dahyun merely paved way and it took her awhile before realizing that she was supposed to introduce herself.

“Wait!” she exclaimed, making the male stop before closing his door, “I got rice cakes!”

“I don’t like sweets,” he answered before proceeding to close the door.

“Wait, Mr. Kim!” Dahyun held the door frame with her hand, preventing the male from fully closing the door. She felt pain in the hand, but she dismissed it as she said, “I promise it’s just the right amount of sweet. Please accept it.”

She had to obey her mom’s special instruction that befriending her next-door neighbor might be crucial for her survival.

He worriedly looked at her hand and accepted the rice cakes but he closed the door without a word.

“Kim Taehyung seems to be a cold guy though,” Dahyun whispered to herself, “How am I supposed to befriend him?”

 

 

Taehyung woke up in the middle of the night. He looked at the clock and it was almost one in the morning.

Ever since Joohyun had left him, he couldn’t seem to get a proper sleep.

He could remember the last night tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter