Silent Chaos

I Am Not Human.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie... Are you seriously not planning to talk to Byuli unnie this week?" Hwasa asked as she found it absurd that the older girl was playing such petty games. 

 

"A week only?! NO WAY! I'll ignore her for as long as I want, since she simply disregarded me during the AI party too. She's only getting what she deserves," Solar reasoned. 

 

"But... unnie, it's already been 2 days. She's been spam calling you nonstop, the least you can do is to send a quick reply back to the poor fellow. She must be scared less by now!" Hwasa tried to coax Solar but only enraging her even more. 

 

"SO what?! Just because you take pity over her persistent excuses, that will not distract me from the fact that she blatantly ditched me for some friend of hers whom she conveniently NEVER mentioned to us before, then failed to return within the time frame she promised AND she made me lose.... URGH!!! Nevermind. You'll never get it even if I explained," Solar suddenly broke into a chain of rants about Moonbyuli's irresponsible actions during the party. 

 

Hwasa was caught right in the middle, in a toughest spot indeed. She was not one who take sides in such situations. She could only nod and agree at the present moment and hope to not create even more unnecessary ruckus. She quickly felt around for her mobile phone and immediately sent a quick text to her Wheein, pleading for her help.

 

"S.O.S. I give up," - Hwasa 

 

"Oh my, look's like things aren't looking good over on your side! Neither is mine... Byuli unnie is attempting to make her 9th batch of tteobokki after 8 failed attempts. Send help!!!" - Wheein 

 

"This is impossible! Just end me already" - Hwasa 

 

"YAH! Pull it together, they need us as middle persons right now. We have to pull through and bring them back together, just like before!" - Wheein 

 

"Operation: Bring-the-fighting-couple-back-together 2.0??? FK. Here we go again..." - Hwasa 

 

Little to Hwasa's knowledge, Solar has been examining her body posture and the way she was replying to a particular someone's text. She instantly could draw the conclusion that it was none other than Wheein as Hwasa would enthusiastically text back even though her overall demeanor showed annoyance and slight frustration. 

 

"You can tell Wheein to pass a useful message to Byuli that she's not welcome to my house so she better stop trying to bribe me with any more form of gifts and food. Thanks but no thanks. I have received enough of her overly burnt cookies and muffins for 2 days in a row now," Solar remarked coldly as Hwasa grew frustrated at the older girl's ungrateful response. 

 

"YAH! Would you just drop the petty games already?! We all know how sincerely sorry Byuli unnie is for her mistakes and has been trying her very best, even though she's failing miserably at baking just to gift your favourite goodies! At least acknowledge the poor girl's efforts for 's sake?!" Hwasa exploded for the first time at the older girl as she simply could not handle any more of this petty nonsense Solar was pulling. 

 

Solar was taken aback and became momentarily speechless. She never expected Hwasa, who has always listened to her, to suddenly go against her and defend the opposing party for once. It was a tight slap on her face for a delayed reality check. Deep down, she knew she was indeed making a huge fuss but she just was not ready to forgive Moonbyuli yet, not so soon after how close she was to almost catching the damn thumbdrive thief red-handed. Now, that chance has slipped away for good. Her pride was deeply hurt.

 

"If you can't deal with me then leave, leave like how she did as well," Solar remarked dramatically, haunted by her history of abandonment issues.

 

Her words were soft but merely loud enough for Hwasa to catch hints of her most vulnerable words. Hwasa instantly softened her demeanor towards the older girl but managed to keep firm about her original stance on the issue. She turned to face Solar and gently patted her on the back. 

 

"I think it's best if I leave now. But remember I'm not leaving you because I don't want you. I'm leaving you because I know you need your own time to settle down now. I'll just make things worse by being here. Call me when you're ready to talk ya? I'll be waiting," Hwasa said warmly, making sure to let the older girl know she means no harm with her departure. 

 

Hwasa was never the mushy type to comfort Solar immediately and cover her with loving hugs and kisses like how Wheein is with Moonbyuli. Even though she did have a soft and mushy side with her ex lovers, her relationship with Solar was more like of a siblings level of intimacy when it's so strong and stable but also with an appropriate level of respect, space and trust. Hence, she knew Solar just needed time to calm herself down and her being there would only make things worse and interfere with her healing process. She also trusted that whenever Solar was ready or needed someone, she'd reach out to the group again, even if it meant that Hwasa might not be the first one she goes to. Hwasa was the youngest, but wisest in reading their individual emotional needs and the best in this aspect. They often as 'Counsellor H', the wise one the older girls go to for informal counselling sessions and to seek relationship advice. 

 

 

"Cut the baking, she hates it," - Hwasa 

 

Wheein gulped upon reading the blunt but truthful message notification as her eyes trailed towards the diligent and unknowing baker attempting to place her 9th batch of tteobokkis into the boiling pot of water. With swift hands, she reached over and caught Moonbyuli's wrists right before her ladle filled with disfigured handmade teobokkis could kiss the scalding hot pot. 

 

"Hey, buddy! Let's stop for now, ya? You're gonnna burn yourself out at this rate," Wheein tried to persuade the frantic older girl. 

 

"But Wheein-ah! If I don't get it right, she's never going to talk to me again! You know how strong her mind is, she could literally NEVER speak to me again if she really put her mind to it," Moonbyuli said anxiously as she carelessly dropped her ladle onto the counter top, spilling the contents in different directions. 

 

"Look, Hammy! You're an exhausted mess! Nothing else you do now will make a difference or salvage the situation now that she's in this stubborn petty state. We just have to wait it out! So get a hold of yourself, will you?" Wheein tried to talk some sense into the older girl who obviously lost her usual logical thinking. 

 

"Ugh! Dealing with extreme human emotions is the worst!!! No wonder humans drive themselves nuts! She's driving me nuts!" Moonbyuli concluded in her mind before slamming her fist onto the counter top. 

 

"Come, let's wash up and maybe do something fun! You must be starving! We could eat something yummy, maybe take a walk in the park, anywhere else but this sad kitchen! Let's just get out of here! Come on!" Wheein tried to improvise something fun to cheer the solemn girl up and playfully nudged her using her elbow. 

 

"Fine, but no more ice cream, please..." Moonbyuli bargained as Wheein whined. 

 

"Aw man~~~ FINE! Then we'll just get... donuts!" Wheein was quick to sustitute her sugar cravings.

 

"Deal," Moonbyuli reluctantly agreed in defeat.

Solar was always intricately fragile on the inside due to her many years of abandonment issues after her late omma's death and then practically having an absent father throughout her childhood as he was always busy building a business empire on his own. It was nice living a luxurious life with the coolest gadgets, superficial luxuries but it was unfortunately socially isolating and devastatingly lonely. She always had servants almost twice her age to serve her, so she never really had anyone her age at home to really talk to or understand anything she was going through. She never had anyone not take advantage of her or the opposite, feel threatened by her intimidating external demeanor. People in school either craved her poularity and wanted to be her or loathed her and were completely jealous. 

 

It was the first time she genuinely made close friends who felt like they really wanted to be with her without having any other ulterior motives, unlike her prior experiences in high school. It didn't help when she had always been placed in the most competitive settings, the best schools, fighting for the best grades and getting into the top classes. Can you really blame her for being naturally defensive, egocentric and competitive? She'd already let her guard down way too much for the new group of friends she made in university and now, the slightest issue that occured makes her question her decision of even letting them have such huge controls over her life and internal feelings in the first place. She had always known to keep these locked away from the public but she couldn't help but let them enter through the tiny gaps into her heart, but of course, not entirely at the moment. 

 

She hated the fact that she could no longer solely blame others in a time like this. She knew Moonbyuli meant well and even when she's terribly angry at her, she could not blame her entirely for her long disappearance as she grew to be understanding of the latter. As much as she hated to admit it, she always had a soft spot for her. It also ironically showed in how big a fuss she was making just because she lacked her sole attention. She couldn't believe how needy she was becoming and so reliant onto a particular person. Only two weeks ago, she just wanted to murder her when she mistook her as the thumbdrive thief. Now, tables have turned and they're as close as ever, and were still playing 'girlfriends'. Just the thought of that paralyzed her. She was unknowingly changing way too much for someone else. 

 

"How weak have you become, Solar?! Am I even myself any more?" she questioned herself by summoning her stronger alter ego. 

 

"Don't let one person dictate what you do, what you feel, what you think!" she tried to coax herself with popular self-help quotes. 

 

"You know what? Hwasa's right. I need a looong time away from her. No more pretend girlfriends, no more fights. No more... us," Solar muttered under her breath, quick to dismiss everything she had to do with Moonbyuli.

 

Impulsively, she fished out her phone from her school bag and finally decided to text the latter. However, she didn't realise it would be a text she would regret sending and quickly hit the send button in the heat of the moment. 

 

"Guess what? We're through. The thumbdrive thief has been identified so we don't need to play pretend girlfriends or be nice to each other anymore. It's been a pleasure. Now, goodbye." - Solar

 

As soon as she sent out her text message, she proceeded to block the girl across every platform she could possibly think of so she would not reach her anymore. This was total self-isolation, the worst one thus far. Her self-destructive habits have kicked in yet again as she sobbed hysterically while lying on her bed in fetal position and stuffed her tear-stained pillows onto her face to muffle her deafening weeping. Ever so slowly, she drifted into deep slumber - an unhealthy and sad routine she had already gotten used to over the years. 

 

 

"WHEEIN-AH! It's over for me. I'm done," Moonbyuli starred blankly at the final message, not knowing how to process this new information.

 

As soon as Wheein could catch a glimpse of what Solar just texted Moonbyuli, her heart pounded ferociously as she's never seen her this enraged to this extent before. It was honestly very intimidating and sounded very convincing. Angry Solar is going to give her shivers at night, for sure. She gathered her little guts, whatever that was left at least, faked half a smile and turned to look at the devastated girl beside her.

 

"Oh Hammy.... It's okay, I'm sure she's just saying nonsense in the heat of the moment," Wheein gave her best attempt at comforting but her confidence level was wearing thin by passing minute too.

 

Moonbyuli couldn't resist the temptation any longer and hit the dial button again. Even if her call would not be picked up, she would have at the very least still made an effort to try. Without ringing like usual, the call instantly ended. In disbelief, she retried this procedure a couple of times before she realised what had just happened.

 

"She just... Blocked me. She blocked my number, she's blocking me out of her life! I'm so screwed. Like screwed-screwed. This is the end," Moonbyuli muttered nervously as she couldn't believe what just happened, neither could Wheein upon hearing the news.

 

"SHE WHAT?! HOW DARE SHE?! AFTER ALL THE EFFORT YOUR PUT IN!" Wheein couldn't take it anymore and exploded in pure frustration as she got triggered by the extent of immaturity Solar was pulling and being hurtful towards her best pal.

 

Moonbyuli was taken aback by her partner's sudden 180° switch from a nice soothing mediator into an aggressive and hateful demeanor. She blinked rapidly and remained silent. Wheein embodied an unexpected sudden volcano eruption from a dormant volcano. 

 

"I knew she needed time to cool down but intentionally blocking you out of her life is a new low!!! Even for her!" Wheein justified and felt like it was time to stand up and defend her bestfriend's honor. 

 

"You know what?! Two can play the avoiding game! Game on, Kim Yongsun!" Wheein exclaimed, offended by Solar's hurtful gestures and behaviors that were clearly uncalled for. 

 

 

Unbeknownst to the friends having their child-like cold war, something even more serious and darker was being planned behind closed doors that involved their very fates and wellbeing.

 

"Unnie, I've come to have a word with you about the treasure you've requested for," Krystal informed her older sister as she sat down on the extravagant office arm chair beside her.

 

"Close the doors, shut the blinds. Let's get right to it, shall we? You know how long I've been waiting to get my hands on these damn thumb drives since some tattletales leaked about what juicy information they possesed," Jessica demanded as Krystal got up to do as told.

 

Jessica thrived on her social connetions. Being the firstborn in the family, naturally she attained greater access to higher chains of social networks and was her father's stand-in sustitute whenever he had to be away for business trips. Of course, she had the upperhand compared to her newbie sister who just joined the industry in her place.

 

"Yes, unnie. Now, the JJ Electronics will be able to catch up with the others in the top tier with some help from this little fellow, of course," Krystal proudly stated as she waved the prized possession around in the air to elder sister.

 

"How many did you manage to get a hold of?" Jessica asked with curiosity.

 

"At the moment, just one. But I'll keep a lookout for more to come," Krystal asnwered confidently.

 

"So tell me, how are you going to answer to your little friend Eric who has no clue the degree of power and money this could bring?" Jessica questioned as she knew her sister was working as a double agent under him and needed affirmation that her younger sister was indeed still on their side.

 

"Oh him? Pfft. Don't worry about him. I have sent him an identical dummy copy and programmed even harder security codes for him to crack. He would be kept busy and distracted for a while before I swap it back with the real deal. Besides, his pea brain wouldn't even know the difference even if he tried HAHAHA!" Krystal stated her master plan proudly and earned a satisfied grin on Jessica's face.

 

"You have learnt well, young one. Good work! Get our finest team of tech experts and start cracking the codes now. We have no time to lose," Jessica complimented with content at her younger sister's initiative.

 

"Already on it, sis! Trust me, we'll crack it in no time," Krystal reassured her sister but she was not fully convinced yet.

 

"That's promising, I suppose. Just try not to screw this up. Appa and I are both counting on you now," Jessica said with seriousness as Krystal gave an affirming nod.

 

"I won't let the both of you down," Krystal answered with conviction. 

 

"One more thing, Krys," Jessica requested just as Krystal was about to take her leave.

 

"Tell the Head of Tech Department to stop all hacking activities the moment they've cracked the security codes. Got it? Who knows what sorts of information are hidden in there? Let's minimise the chances of exposing these illegal information to their prying eyes. These will be brought first hand to me, got it?" Jessica demanded as Krystal nodded in agreement.

 

"Got it, unnie," Krystal assured with an affirming hug.

 

-a few days later- 

 

"My dearest daughter, how have you been? Appa has been terribly busy these few months, my deepest apologies. Amber has recently updated me about your little bonding session. I'm glad you have both reunited after all these years. My dear, I'm writing to you today not just to ask about your wellbeing but also to warn you. You'v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter