A Mysterious Encounter: Kim Yongsun

I Am Not Human.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"I'll be good from here on. Thanks for the ride. All of you may take your leave now," Moonbyuli said as she reached and pulled the car door open, revealing a familiar building behind. 

 

The building was none other than Rainbow Bridge University, the most presigious University in Seoul. Not trying to exaggerate but it was every student's dream school, and also the school of envy for regular citizens who could not afford to get in. The admission into the school is very tricky. You might still get rejected even if you were the smartest person in Seoul. It was beyond just about your wealth, power and economic status; it was the school of the 'richest of rich and most talented'. Hundreds and thousands of students apply annually but only selective 300 lucky fellows enter per year. That is a relatively small number, considering the fact that these students are studying different majors. The school was popularly known best in their study of futuristic sciences, consisting of the best professors in the field and most high-end equipment.

 

In fact, that was also mainly the reason why Dr. Moon has sent his only heir of Moon Intelligences, his own AI company he set up after giving up on his work as an AI scientist many years back, to this school to study. Moonbyuli was supposed to graduate with the degree in Future Sciences and immediately take his place as CEO upon graduation. Everything was planned out meticulously to ensure Moonbyuli's lifelong success.

 

On top of having to be both loaded with millions and possessing the highest IQs of the cohort to enter the school, you also needed a ton of luck on your side to enter such a competitive and heavily wanted school. Getting into Rainbow Bridge University was a tedious process for its students, but fortunately, that was not the case for Moonbyuli of course.

 

Being the only heir to Moon Intelligences which is top AI company in the industry, she has already automatically earned herself a free ticket into the school. However, it was not like Moonbyuli ever needed the help of her priviledges in status to enter anyway. As a matter of fact, she was the most intelligent and the only student who scored full marks in the prerequisite compulsory entry examination. When it was rumoured that she would be interested in joining the school, the campus professors were already preparing to welcome her with open arms into their classes even before she applied and were even arguing who should rightfully have her in their classes. In a nut shell, she was the hot topic and always in the limelight. As much as she hated it, she knew it could not have been helped.

 

The blonde girl looked down at her smartwatch as her eyes shot wide open when she noticed the time.

 

"It's 8.05AM! I'm late!!! Not again...."

 

She immediately grabbed the strap of her laptop bag laying beside her and hopped out of the car. Before she took off, the bodyguard sitting at the front passenger's seat of the vehicle, turned his back and called out to her with his right arm extended.

 

"Ms Moon, don't forget your thumbdrive for today's lessons! I've uploaded everything," he reminded before swiftly passing it to the anxious girl.

 

"I almost forgot about that, thanks so much!" Moonbyuli said and immediately zoomed away to class.

 

Moonbyuli disliked being a humanoid but one of the coolest perks were to ingest information at lightning speed. Every night, her Appa's assistants will upload her study notes and class content, condense physical textbooks into softcopy electronic books into a handy thumbdrive for her. All she needed to do was to plug the thumbdrive into her nervous system and she could ingest and retain all of these chunks of information into her memory database within mere seconds.

 

While pacing quickly up the stairs and through the empty campus hallways, she swiftly reached her hand to the back of her neck and traced her index finger around her skin area to find the tiny button embeded underneath. When she finally felt a tiny bump beneath the skin, she double clicked on it as her the skin around that area peeled open and exposed the USB port hidden inside. Impatiently, she shoved the thumbdrive tip right into the empty slot in the port while starting to reduce her pace when she noticed a familiar classroom door in a distance. Within seconds, she finished ingesting all the information she needed and reached the classroom door just in time. She casually removed the thumbdrive with her left hand and used the right hand which was free to knock politely onto the wooden door as a form of courtesy before entering the class. At least, that was what her Appa taught her to do.

 

"Ah, there you are Moonbyuli ssi. Good morning, please come on in. We have just started a little without you," the professor greeted her with a warm smile.

 

"Apologies for my late arrival. Good morning to you as well, Professor," Moonbyul said with her regular monotonous voice and attempted a bow as a gesture of showing apology to the inconveniences she caused. 

 

Moonbyuli marched to the back of the class to a vacant seat while trying to ignore the fact that the whole room was stealing glances at her, turning to each other and engaging in petty gossiping as usual. This might be a normal petty event in Universities all around the world but to Moonbyuli, entering a full class of judgemental and entitled spoiled rich brats was just a complete nightmare. She despised the dirty looks, the biased chatter and fingers pointing at her from different directions as if she was a circus animal being judged by unimpressed skeptical spectators in the crowd. 

 

"I'll never come to class late again. Not anymore," she thought to herself as she cautiously sat down at her usual spot and looked over at the vacant space beside her. 

 

Dr. Moon specially requested to the professors for Moonbyuli to be assigned to sit alone in classes for her 'special learning needs'. The professors assumed she just had some mild special learning disability and needed special assistance and environmental conditions to her focus better in class. Many geniuses had them to so it did not struck them as something new. It was Dr. Moon's attempt to make sure she kept a safe social distance from others, in case they ever found anything off about her by any chance. However, this social isolation made Moonbyuli feel crippling loneliness but she was learning to get used to it over time.

Little did she know, a mysterious girl with hazel brown hair at the front of the class has been occasionally turning around to catch several glimpses of the blonde latecomer and quietly eyeing her throughout the lesson since the moment she walked in. 

 

"So this is where you have been hiding..." thought the mysterious girl.

 

 

"Today's topic will be on Artificial Intelligences. We'll be going through its origins, the theories and apply them to our current context," the professor introduced to the class as she instantaneously was bombarded with mixed reactions from the crowd.

 

Most students were very intrigued by the mention of this topic and started whispering with one another while a few were indifferent about the topic. A very silent blonde girl sunk deeper into her chair and kept her head low upon hearing the particular topic which she is most uncomfortabe to talk about. 

 

"Oh great, I guess today's just really not my day then," Moonbyuli thought to herself as subconsciously raised her hand up to her forehead in a minor attempt to cut potential eye contact with anyone in the room as she was feeling a little embarassed and sensitive to this topic. 

 

After what felt like an eternity, the professor was finally almost reaching the end of her class. Moonbyuli continued to keep herself calm and acted indifferent to whatever that was discussed in class.

 

"Now, how do we apply this to our current context in South Korea? What are some famous theories in recent years regarding Artificial Intelligences? Anyone would like to share with the class?" the professor opened the question to the class even though she already knew exactly who she was going to pick to answer her question. 

 

Before she was able to name someone to answer, a male student sitting in the middle raised his hands and volunteered to answer. 

 

"I know! I heard scary conspiracy theories that the AI are gonna one day turn their backs against human race and kill EVERYONE OF US MUAHAHHA!" the male student answered jokingly as the whole class laughed in unison. 

 

"Thank you for your helpful input, Jin ssi but I'm looking for something deeper. Perhaps... Moonbyuli ssi could share something with the class. Afterall, she is the next heir of Moon Intelligences," the professor politely shot the class joker down and cued the desired student to answer.

 

Moonbyul froze on the spot as she could feel her body temperature rise a little in shock. As you know already, she is not good with public speaking, especially since her classmates would devour her alive if she said anything mildly inacurrate. She cleared and stuttered in response. Usually, she would give short but intelligent replies but today, discussing such a sensitive topic about AIs just made her mute. She felt so vulnerable and was afraid she might reveal too much information about her extensive  knowledge on AIs since she is one herself. 

 

"Wh-what would you like me to share with the class?" Moonbyul replied with a crack in her voice the class had never heard before. 

 

"Anything interesting that not many people would know about AI robots and technology. I'm sure your Appa would have shared a lot of things with you. Let's hear it!" the professor encouraged her with enthusiasm but it only made her retreat even more.

 

"Well... AI robots are present in today's context and aim to improve human lifestyles and bring many conveniences," Moonbyuli gave a generic tasteless answer which disappointed the professor who was looking forward to hearing more insider information.

 

"Hm... I'm sure you can share more than that! Come on! Nothing to hide her-" the professor was talking but soon got interrupted by the mysterious girl at the front of the class who could not take Moonbyuli's amateur answers anymore.

"Ugh, what a stupid answer. Let me try," the mysterious girl scoffed at the blonde girl's incompetent answer, shocking everyone in the room. 

 

As much as Moonyuli was the hot topic of gossip, nobody in the room ever dared to doubt her intellgences. They were more intimidated and some even jealous at her capabilities that is why they oucast her. She would always be seen having the best and most accurate answers to professor's toughest questions, remembered every minute detail about historical events and uncommon facts about the world. This was the first time they witnessed anyone in the room challenging the genius of geniuses! The room went totally silent and waited in anticipation.

 

"Ah, YES! I almost forgotten about you Solar ssi. I forgot to mention to the class earlier, Solar ssi is also an heir to another top AI company SMART Kim Global. Let's hear what the new girl has to share," the professor said as Moonbyul turned her attention to the mysterious new classmate.

 

"New girl? Ah.. I must have missed her introduction since I have come late to class. Hm... why does she seem so familiar?" 

 

"Well, no problem Professor. I'd love to share about AIs. I have been starting to assist my Appa at work and they have been telling me how AIs are the future of humans. Don't get me wrong, Jin, but you were pretty close just now about how AIs will take over the world but not about the part where they destroy the human race," the mysterious girl explained in a confident and firm tone, as expected of a prideful heir to the throne while Moonbyul focused her gaze on the girl's back. 

 

The whole class was simply captivated by the new girl and how well she presented herself. Solar immediately left a strong impression on the students she stood in front of as she held her chin high and with perfect posture. The egotistic individual loved the attention, taking extra pride especially in her posh demeanor and charismatic speech. She was definitely someone you did not want to be up against in a debate tournament, that's for sure. 

 

Suddenly, Solar who was sitting in front of the class rose up, stood at attention before turning back and staring right at Moonbyul's direction. This surprised Moonbyul as she swore this mysterious girl's face seemed awfully familiar but she could not recall where she had seen her before. She locked eyes with the latter across the room while the latter stared right back at her in a suspended and somewhat threatening gaze. Moonbyul held her breath, she felt as if the gir was staring right into her soul and reading her mind. She felt and vulnerable, and quite frankly, incredibly intimidated by her longing and uncomfortable eye contact. 

 

"Also, fun fact: AI robots live among us and there has been rumoured that the first ever humanoid was built and walks among us now," Solar reported her insider information she heard from her Appa's colleagues proudly and looked right at Moonbyuli with a threatening smirk, implying she knew more than she seemed.

 

Everyone gasped in shock at the sudden reveal of the piece of insider news that was unheard of and completely brand new to them. Even the professor raised her eyebrows and jaw dropped at this stunning revelation. Indeed, she was satisfied and incredibly impressed by the overachieving and witty new student in her class.

 

That was enough to send Moonbyul's body temperature high up to the roof. She felt threatened, as if the new girl knew something more than she should about Moonbyuli's secret identity. Moonbyuli gulped as she could feel her smartwatch vibrating vigorously to alert her of her dangerously high  body temperature and need to activate self-cooling procedure.

 

"Crap! Not now?!" she thought and clenched hard onto the table t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter