Be Careful Who You Trust

I Am Not Human.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You know you can let go now, right?" Moonbyuli asked as she looked at Solar's fingers interlocked with hers.

 

Moonbyuli was pretty amused by Solar's new protective side after witnessing how she 'fainted'. Ever since that day, Solar seemed to have switched on other 'mother' side and has been acting strangely lately. Moonbyuli was grateful, even though she might still need some time to get used to this new form of prolonged physical touch.

 

"I'm not taking any more chances. I'm not letting you out of my sight again, not after what happened the other day!" Solar argued while holding and dragging the slower blonde girl behind her. 

 

"Thank you, but no thank you. I can take care of myself," Moonbyuli defended herself but only earned an eye roll from the former.

 

"Oh please, says the person whom I found unconscious in the toilet?" Solar rebutted with attitude as the two girls trailing behind them broke into laughter. 

 

"BURNNNN!!! HAHAHA! Sorry unnie but Solar unnie totally won that round. Just do as she says, she's just being a sweet girlfriend anyway," Hwasa teased as Wheein nodded in agreement.

 

"Yeah! You haven't had these anxiety attacks in a while too! At least Solar unnie's now here to take extra care of you in case it happens again," Wheein reasoned as Moonbyuli finally gave in in the end.

 

"Fine but only temporarily. So don't get used to this," Moonbyuli remarked with a sigh. 

 

"HEHE! That's the spirit~ Oh...guys I think we've reached!" Wheein exclaimed as she noticed the tall hotel in a distance. 

 

The hotel was far from ordinary. It was an exceptionally exclusive hotel that only permitted special access to selective individuals, usually for millionaires or for hosting prestigious events such as the one tonight. It was located in the middle of the woods in total isolation, away from all city activity. It might have been hidden from the public but it was obviously regularly maintained judging by the shiny see-through glass exterior coated with hints of gold that enclosed its borders. The building infrastructure was very modern, completely contrasting its neighbouring forestation surrounding it. As the girls gazed through the clear glass extrior beyond the entrance door, they soon laid eyes on numerous branded vehicles already parked in neat rows on the first floor of the indoor carpark. 

 

The hotel was so exclusive that only specifically permitted vehicles could enter through the gates. Hence, the girls had to be dropped off earlier and enter the premises on feet instead. They didn't mind the hassle at all, especially when they won;t get invited to such high-end places everyday. 

 

"Wow... Krystal Jung really booked THIS place for the annual AI party? That's insane!!!" Wheein gawked at the enchanting building in front of her. 

 

"I would stay out here and take OOTDs all day if I could but that has to wait for now. I guess almost everyone has arrived! We better get in and save some good seats for the show before the others arrive!" Hwasa replied and quicken her pace of walking. 

 

"What show? There's a show?" Wheein replied in confusion as it was her first time at such parties. 

 

"Silly, of course there is! There's always a grand opening act to commense the night. With such a beautiful place, I'm guessing the production level will be infinity times better!" Solar replied cockily, with her prior experience of hosting the previous AI party herself. 

 

"OMG!! Then why are we strolling?! LET'S GO!!! CHOP CHOP! NO TIME TO WASTE!!!!" Wheein demanded as she quickened her pace and overtook the maknae. 

 

"YAH! You think you can out-walk me, huh? RACE YOU THERE, JUNG WHEEIN! LOSER GETS TO DO A FORFEIT! MUAHAHAH!" Hwasa challenged as she started jogging to get a quick headstart in the race.

 

"GAME ON! YOU'RE SO DEAD!!!" Wheein accepted the challenge and both the girls took off, leaving the unnies behind. 

 

"HAHAHA look at these idiots! They're adorable!! Come on, Byul! Let's catch up with them!" Solar said as she sped up and dragged the slower girl by the arm. 

 

Moonbyuli was not feeling the enthusiasm at all. She was here not only as a guest, but also on a mission.

 

"Solar, don't get too caught up in all the fun tonight, okay? Remember why we're really here for," Moonbyuli remarked monotonously as she gave an intentional tug onto Solar's fingers in her grasp to signal her about the hidden message behind her words.

 

Solar's smile instantly vanished as she got reminded of their secret mission for the night. As soon as Moonbyuli and Solar received Jimin's mass text message about the AI party, they knew it was the perfect place to encounter the thumbdrive thief again. This time, they had to be extra cautious and come prepared for another similar encounter or worse, maybe a physical assault this time. Whatever the thumbdrive thief was planning to do, they would be on the lookout to catch him or her red-handed in action. They cannot let him or her slip away this time. 

 

"Of course. I can't wait to catch that bastard!" Solar replied aggressively as they reached the main entrance. 

 

As soon as the girls reached the main door, Moonbyuli diverted her attention to the overhead CCTV which was focused on their faces. She knew they were being monitored by the staff and subconsciously pulled Solar closer by her waist. It wouldn't come as a surprise that Moonbyuli hated attending such social gatherings, but tonight made her even more uneasy than usual. She really needed to brace herself for anything that could happen out of nowhere. 

 

"Good evening to the heiresses of Moon Intelliences and SMART Kim Global. Welcome to the Hotel Pandora! We hope you'll have a good evening with us," a computer generated monotonous voice greeted them from the wall speakers. 

 

Solar took a step back as she got startled by the sudden voice while Moonbyuli held firmly around her waist to reassure her. 

 

Before they could react, the main door automatically slid open to one side to reveal a mysterious lift lobby behind it. It took both of the girls by surprise as they expected to see a grand hall instead. Solar's eyes searched the area for an alternative path but only to be greeted by deadends. There was only one way and it pointed straight to the silver lift right ahead.

 

"I guess the two of them went ahead without us," Solar remarked, feeling a little doubtful that the girls would leave without them. 

 

"I guess... Stick close to me, anything could happen here," Moonbyuli replied as she took her first step towards the lift lobby in front of them. 

 

Moonbyuli raised her index finger wanting to press the lift button but failed to find one on the lift door.

 

"That's strange, the lift doors do not have buttons," Moonbyuli remarked as a white light flashed behind the doors and escaped through the cracks.

 

The doors automatically split open upon sensing them to be close in proximity. Moonbyuli nodded silently to herself as she realised the doors were automatic as well. High-tech indeed. Both of the girls entered the lift and looked at the buttons with numerals on them which led to different floors. 

 

"What was the code again?" Solar asked as she vaguely remembered the invitation text had written a combination of numbers for entry.

 

"94824," Moonbyuli announced nonchalantly as she started keying them in sequence.

 

"How the HECK did you remember that?!" Solar exclaimed in shock.

 

"I have great memory since forever," Moonbyuli stated as a matter of fact while Solar rolled her eyes. 

 

"Pff! Show off!" Solar complained and Moonbyuli smirked in response. 

 

"Nah, you're just too much of a Yeba to get on MY level,"  Moonbyuli teased and giggled to herself. 

 

After spending an entire week with this girl, she started adopting specific ways to annoy her. She found Solar's responses to her teasings very amusing and unknowingly grew a new habit of teasing her on a daily basis. The latter's comical responses and facial expressions only encouraged Moonbyuli's bully side to come out even more. Being human was pretty fun, afterall.

 

The specific sequence of pressing the lift buttons ensured them direct access to the Hotel's VIP level that usual guests would not even be aware of. It was a secret floor located at the very top of the building, the floor which housed the finest suites. 

 

"Good evening, beautiful ladies. Welcome to the VIP floor. Let me both of you to our holding lounge before the concert starts," a man dressed in suit and tie greeted them as soon as they stepped out of the lift.

 

 

The lighting in the lounge was purposefully set at a low intensity to achieve a dim and ambigious atmosphere for the night. Wheein was sure a few of their schoolmates who were also heirs to their parents' companies would be present too but she could barely make out their faces in this huge crowd. Whenever she made eye contact with certain people standing near her, they were all unfamiliar and seemed a lot older than her. Despite being a natural social butterfly in school who almost knew everyone popular, she felt so lost in this unfamiliar social setting that was so foreign to her. She decided not to socialise and dig in with the scrumptious food platter offered at the appetisers corner. 

 

"Yah! Jung Wheein! There you are! How dare you ditch us like this?" Moonbyuli announced as soon as she spotted the familiar wheepup from afar, standing beside the table filled with assortments of appetisers on top. 

 

Wheein was more than elated that the two unnies finally caught up with her. She was getting a little lonely and bored without her crazy partner.

 

"OH! HEY YALL! Come over, you slow pokes! I have saved some cakes for you!" Wheein shouted excitedly while struggling to carry the plates of mini cakes stacked unsteadily on her hands and against her chest for additional support.

 

Moonbyuli immediately headed over to give the overly-ambitious puppy a helping hand before she could drop the plates and create unnecessary mess. She was sure, Miss Popular here did not want others to witness her being a klutz on such a fine evening as well. 

 

"Wheeinie, where did Hwasa go? Wasn't she just with you?" Solar asked, curious to why the youngest one took off on her own. 

 

"Oh, she said she'd be back soon. She needed to answer some urgent phone calls privately," Wheein replied while stuffing mini cake tarts into .

 

"Oh... I see," Solar replied with concern.

 

"Greetings, everyone! Apologies for interrupting your activities. I have come to request all attendees of tonight's AI party to make your way over to the concert hall for a mini contemporary dance concert arranged by our very own host of the night, Ms Krystal Jung," the same man who ushered them in announced into the microphone.

 

The large crowd started making its way over and tailed after the usher who led the way. The girls exchanged looks with one another, unsure whether to leave with the crowd or wait for Hwasa.

 

"Should we wait for her?" Moonbyuli asked as she noticed almost all of the guests have left the lounge. 

 

"Did she mention how long she'll be gone for? If it's just a few more minutes, I don't mind waiting," Solar asked Wheein as she took a peek at her phone that just vibrated, in almost perfect timing.

 

Go ahead to the concert without me. I'll take some time more. I'll join you guys in a bit! Have fun! - Hwasa 

 

"Well I guess we'll just go ahead first then. She'll join us when she's done," Wheein announced as the three girls finally made their way to join other guests.

 

 

Alert: 10 missed calls. 1 text message. 

 

Hwasa looked at her phone screen and her heart began to race. It's happening again. The chain of calls from the person she wanted to talk to the least. The poor girl was hiding in the toilet stall alone, too paranoid to come out and show her face. 

 

"Oh crap! I forgot to tell the girls I'd be gone! I better text them so they don't get suspiscious," Hwasa thought and immediately sent a message to Wheein to ask the girls to go ahead without her. 

 

Upon exiting the chat page that she opened to contact Wheein, she accidentally opened the other text message she received earlier and had been avoiding before she r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter