The Miracle Child: The Dark Origins

I Am Not Human.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 It was a regular Monday morning in Seoul. Alarm clocks in the neighbourhoods started ringing uncontrollably and made somewhat like a chain reaction to wake their sleeping owners up. Dawn was breaking, revealing the first glimpse of light in the sky before sunrise caught on. The streets started to buzz with activity and the car engines roared on the roads. It was 7AM, the time for the whole city to wake up. However, it was a little different for Moonbyuli. 

 

Sleeping sequence complete. Turning on system in 5, 4, 3, 2....

 

Moonbyuli's eyes shot wide open as she stared directly at the empty grey ceiling above her. A circular white light lit up at the centre of her chest, before completely dimming within a few seconds. While wiggling her stiff toes and fingers around after being too long in the presence of the air conditioning in her bedroom, she felt them brushing gently against the cold metal edges of her sleeping pod.

 

She immediately shot her upper body upright at 90 degrees into a perfect sitting position and casually reached over to the corner of the sleeping pod where the control panel was but realised she could not reach it. She pressed firmly onto the top layer of rubber padding she was sitting on for support before shifting herself closer and suspended her legs from the sides of the sleeping pod. Her eyes scanned for the 'turn off' button on the control panel screen. '100% charged' appeared on the screen and she gently tapped on it to switch off the charging functions. 

 

Battery charging complete. Commencing system shut down. 

 

She reached over to the bedside drawer and fished for a black and slim silicon touchscreen smartwatch in her clear plastic container in the midst of an assortment of different personal accessories and gadgets. This was not just any watch, it was an extraordinary custom-made smartwatch that catered purely to her individual needs and frequently being modified to keep up to date. It was truly one of a kind. It was her mini personal assitant which helped her manage, monitor and control multiple things. For instance, it was responsible for checking her real-time body temperature at all times, send damage alerts and even acted as her smartphone but instead around her wrist to communicate and serve the web. These figures and data collected can all be viewed by her father whenever he needed to log into her account in times of need to check on her. It was the main reason he created this for her dearest daughter. 

 

Knock knock! Someone knocked politely on her door.

 

"Good morning Ms Moon, are you awake? May I come in? Master Moon left a message for you," a familiar voice politely called out.

 

"Come on in, I'm just getting ready," Moonbyul responded as a man in a black polo tee shirt and track pants entered the room and immediately bowed to the girl as a respectful greeting.

 

"Ms Moon, Master Moon has instructed me to inform you that his overseas working trip has been extended and he will only return next month. In the mean time, he has instructed us to continue to you everywhere, even in your school campus to ensure maximum safety while he is away," the man reported to her.

 

"Message received. However, I think it is no longer necessary to me everywhere. I am able to manage on my own. It has already been a month since school has started, I have familiarised myself with the environment. Having bodyguards around me all the time will only raise suspisions and attention from the public.That is the last thing I want to happen. Please forward my request to Appa on my behalf and send my regards," Moonbyul replied before walking towards the toilet to change into her school attire. 

 

"I used to be the best combat fighter bot in the whole of South Korea. I don't need anyone to protect me," she thought to herself.

 

"Very well, Ms Moon. However, we still need to you safely to your school. You can enter the campus on your own if you wish to do so but our cars will be parked around the neighbourhood on standby mode just in case anything happens. That's all for now. I'll leave you to get ready," the men said before bowing again and making a swift exit out of the room to contact her father as requested.

 

"When will I ever live a normal life like the everyone else?" the sad girl thought to herself.

 

Little did everyone know, she was devasted on the inside. She might not be very good at expressing complex emotions intensively on the outside like regular human beings but that did not mean she did not feel them. Contrary to popular belief, she could feel them very well, every bit of it. She was feeling lonely and suffocated from being stuck inside her parents' invisible cage and always squashed inbetween a herd of bodyguards surrounding her everywhere she gone. She needed an escape, even the slightest sense of freedom would be great at the moment.

 

She knew she was different but she did not need them to constantly remind her of that fact, every second of her day. She just wished to live a simple life. She just wanted to feel some sense of control over her own fragile life. 

 

Unlike regular humans, Moonbyul lived most of her life being shield away from the public and had to learn how to be a human from scratch. This meant learning how to socially interact with other humans, how to read social and emotional cues and much more complicated human norms that are just abstract for a humanoid to comprehend. Basically, she was a large baby who needed to mature rapidly in order to blend in with human's way of life and smoothly blend into society. Only until recently, her father figured that she was finally ready to go out into the public but are still terribly protective over her.

 

Could you really blame him? She was his everything, his miracle child. He had already lost one, he was not ready to lose another daughter anytime soon. 

 

 

FLASHBACK to year 2030

 

"Do you really think your absurd plan would work? Are you willing to risk your daughter's safety like this?" Amber asked, worried that the man sitting beside her was recklessly making a major decision that could risk the death of his daughter.

 

"Have you seen her condition?! It's now or never. I am the best AI scientist I know, I just need to make some budget cuts on other projects to make this work. Anything to save my daughter's life right now," the man replied in desperation and fear.

 

Fear devoured both of them as they looked through the clear window glass of the ward right in front of them and stared intently at the teenage patient lying unconscious on the hospital bed. The older man's daughter recently got into a terrible car accident and is currently in critical condition and deep in a coma. It has been a week and the doctors have reported that her health is deteriorating as they speak. 

 

"Call me desperate, call me delusional but I know at this rate she's not going to make it. I need to make a gamble now. This is the only way I can guarantee that she can survive."

 

"Listen to yourself, Dr Moon. Turning your daughter into a cyborg is your solution?! That's complete MADNESS!!!" Amber exclaimed in utter shock at the man's outrageous proposed solution.

 

"I have studied, manufactured and programmed AI robots throughout my entire career. I am the best person for this. This is the best time to put all these years of experience into good use. I know I can save her! I've got to save her before it's too late!!!" the older man's voice cracked towards the end as a tear escaped his eye.

 

"What exactly are you going to do to her? How are you gonna revive an unconscious person and transform them into a cyborg?!" Amber exclaimed in confusion. 

 

Amber might work actively with AI robots and train them in combat battles, but transforming humans into cyborgs just seemed impossible to her. It seemed as if Dr. Moon has lost his mind in pure desperation to revive his daughter.

 

"Her consciousness, Amber. As long as she's still breathing, I can plug the inside of her brain to my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter