Battle of the Setters

The Block

The teams had been decided, on Jinsoul’s team was Jihyo (Setter), Yuju (Middle Blocker), Yebin (Libero), Yoonsun (Wing Spiker) and Yubin (Wing Spiker), while Siyeon’s team had consisted of Miyeon (Setter), Gyuri (Middle Blocker), Hayoung (Wing Spiker), Yoobin (Wing Spiker) and Haseul (Libero).

 

Coach Kang was slightly excited for this match, because she was about to seem some new potential for the team since there was some new players that were trying out. She sat on the bench and watched intently on all of the players.

 

Jinsoul looked at Siyeon with a competitive look, “Rock, papers, scissors to see who serves first?”

 

Siyeon gave a small sigh as put a fist out for the small game. Jinsoul lost and dramatically fell onto the floor and yelled, “Why do I have to loose?”

 

The Vice-Captain gave a small sigh in annoyance and made her team get onto to thee court. While Jinsoul was still in her depressed mood her team was making their way onto the other side of the court. Jihyo looked at Yuju with a worried look, “Is she going to be ok?”

 

“Yeah,” Yuju said with a small laugh, “She’s always like that when she looses or her prides on the line.”

 

Jihyo gave a small nod as she looked at Jinsoul who was done with her episode and slowly made her way with the rest of her team. The setter thought ‘And this is one of the top 5 middle school wing spikers in the nation?’. 

 

Coach Kang would be officiating this game and said, “Alright… have fun girls and try not to get hurt.”

 

The coach tossed the ball to Siyeon who was serving first, the girl walked a few paces back behind the boundaries. Once she heard the whistle she immediately started running up and slammed the ball against her hand.

 

The ball had landed perfectly into Yebin’s forearms and launched straight into the air. Yoonsun yelled, “Nice receive.”

 

Jihyo got into position behind the net getting ready to serve as the ball was landing right into her hands. She looked at her options, she saw that Jinsoul and Yoonsun were running up for a spike. Jihyo wanted to see Jinsoul’s spiking skills, but she knew that the other team was suspecting that so she side-eyed Jinsoul to see if the blockers would notice… and it worked.

 

Gyuri had jumped over to block Jinsoul, but instead saw the ball fly towards Yoonsun in a quick motion startling Gyuri. The ball hand flown perfectly in front of Yoonsun and slammed the ball down onto Siyeon’s side of the court.

 

Yoonsun gave a low fist pump and looked at Jihyo with a smile. The setter smiled, “Nice Kill.”

 

Jihyo turned back to Jinsoul, who had given a betrayed look at the girl. Jihyo chuckled nervously, “Sorry… they probably knew I would’ve passed to you first.”

 

The ace shook her head, “No it’s fine… you got us the first point.”

 

It was Jinsoul’s team to serve and Jinsoul was going to be serving. All of the girl’s were getting ready to prepare for the worst. This was Jihyo’s first time seeing a serve from a top 5 wing spiker so this would be fun.

 

Jinsoul gave a small intake of air as she heard the whistle blow. When Jinsoul hit the ball, the impact was so loud it had echoed throughout the gym and flew across the court hitting Haseul’s forearms and flying straight out of bounds.

 

The ace yelled in happiness as the team was congratulating her on her service ace. Jihyo was astonished with the power behind that serve… she was kind of happy that Jinsoul had picked her.

 

On the other side of the court Miyeon was wide eyed and said, “Jesus… that serve was crazy.”

 

Siyeon laughed as she got into position, “Well… that’s what you expect from a top 5 wing spiker.”

 

Jinsoul was getting ready to serve again, she ran up to the court and slammed the ball just as hard as the previous serve. It was going straight for Haseul, but the Libero moved out of the way and yelled, “OUT!”

 

Just as Haseul predicted it barely went out of bounds and made a loud noise on impact making Jinsoul groaned in frustration and apologized to her team. Haseul gulped in relief knowing she didn’t have to save that ball.

 

Gyuri was serving the ball (which wouldn’t really happen since the libero is playing on offense). The girl hit the ball as best as she could, which was easily received by Yubin.

 

The Wing Spiker passed it to Jihyo who quickly spotted Jinsoul running up on the right side, she quickly passed the ball ‘That’s a perfect angle and speed’ Jinsoul slammed the ball, only for it to get blocked by Soobin who was now giving a sly grin to blocking her. Yebin tried to save it only for to fall onto the ground with a thud.

 

Jinsoul gave a down look. Siyeon looked at the girl with a sigh ‘There’s no way… it’s too early for that.’ As Jihyo was making her way to her position, Jinsoul looked at her with a gloomy face, “Don’t toss to me.”

 

There it is… emo Jinsoul’ All of the girls who had played with Jinsoul last year though. Jihyo didn’t know what to say until Yuju explained, “This happens a lot… usually Siyeon would cheer her up, but she’s not on our side so… just bear with it.”

 

Jihyo nodded as Coach Kang blew the whistle for the next serve. Gyuri did her server and was received by Yubin with ease again. Jihyo and Yuju switched spot quickly as the ball flew towards her, she looked at her options and saw Jinsoul running up… her options were that she pass it to Jinsoul, hopefully she gets the point or not pass it.

 

The setter growled ‘How is she a top 5 wing spiker if she acts like this?’ She passed the ball to Yubin who had easily gotten pass the defense. Jinsoul gave a dejected sigh again. Yuju and Yebin gave a small sigh to each other and said, “Yo Jinsoul… you’re one of the best aces in the world,  stop being such a downer.”

 

“Besides… we know you have the strength to get pass their defense.”

 

Jinsoul had given a small annoyed laugh and yelled, “I know that you idiots… I’ll show you.”

 

Jihyo had raised an eyebrow at the two girls who gave an encouraging smile. The ball was tossed to Jihyo, she gulped ‘It’s my turn to serve… but it’s not best.’ She gave a small intake of air and hit the ball as hard as she could.

 

It wasn’t as hard as Siyeon’s or Jinsoul’s but it would suffice. The ball flew through the air and was received by Hayoung who quickly passed it so Miyeon.

 

This would be Jihyo’s first time seeing Miyeon’s serve in a game. The other setter quickly passed the ball in the blink of an eye, which Soobin had barely was able to spike it but managed to get it on the other side of the court.

 

Soobin looked at Miyeon with a look, “Uh… a bit slower next time ok?”

 

Miyeon clicked her tongue in response as she went back to her spot on the court, which made Soobin raise an eyebrow in response.

 

Jihyo had widened her eyes seeing how fast that pass was… it was impressive that Soobin was able to hit something like that. She looked at Jinsoul who’s eyes were gleaming at the pass, “I want to hit a toss like that.”

 

Jihyo felt slightly dejected seeing that Jinsoul seemed more into Miyeon’s setting… all more the reason why Jihyo should show her worth.

 

It was now Miyeon’s serve. The setter was walking back and ran up the court and slammed the ball with a hard impact, which flew quickly at Yubin who was able to get the receive and thought ‘Jeez… this serve is almost up to par with Jinsoul’s.’ The ball had flown into the air realizing it was a bad pass, “My bad.”

 

Yuju had to quickly run across the back to pass the ball to Jihyo who was at the front row and switched with Yebin. Yuju passed the ball and Jihyo was getting ready to pass. Siyeon was looking at the girl closely and remembering what Gyuri had said to her earlier ‘Watch for her eyes… if she looks at a certain person, then it’s not them.’ 

 

Siyeon looked as she saw Jihyo side-eye Yoonsun. The Vice-Captain thought ‘No she couldn’t possibly toss to Jinsoul… not with her emo side on right now.’ Siyeon had shifted her weight towards Yoonsun, but saw the ball fly towards Jinsoul. Siyeon widened her eyes ‘This girl is crazy.’

 

Jinsoul her tongue as she ran to the ball and struck  it down as hard as she could. It had zoomed right past Soobin and Haseul with ease and the impact it had created on the floor had echoed throughout the room. Jinsoul yelled in satisfaction as she looked at her red-stained hand and closed it. The captain looked at Jihyo with a thumbs-up, while Jihyo smirked, “Nice kill.”

 

-

 

Sana and Mina were walking out of the school speaking in Japanese so that nobody could overhear them, when they had arrived at the bottoms steps they saw Dahyun and Chaeyoung trying to get out of Tzuyu’s clutches.

 

Sana had chuckled at the sight and raised an eyebrow, “Any particular reason as to why you’re holding these two?”

 

Tzuyu rolled her eyes, “They wanted to go and fight this girl for not giving them chocolates.”

 

“Giving them chocolates?” Mina said with a raised eyebrow?

 

The tall girl held up pieces of chocolates and showed the two Japanese girls, “Uh… a few girls have been coming up to me and giving me letters and stuff.”

 

Sana had given a lopsided smile at the things the younger girl was holding. Dahyun and Chaeyoung had finally gotten out of the soccer player’s clutches. The pale girl snarled, “We won’t fight the girl unless you give us the chocolates.”

 

Tzuyu rolled her eyes as she tossed the treats to the smaller girls, who quickly started shoving them into their mouths. Tzuyu gave a disgusted look and looked at the Japanese girls, “Where’s Jihyo?”

 

“She has volleyball conditioning in the old gym,” Sana said as they were beginning to walk out the school’s gate, “So she’s staying after school.”

 

The tall girl nodded and asked the Japanese girl, “Are we allowed to watch?”

 

Sana gave a small shrug, “I don’t know… I mean why wouldn’t you be allowed to?”

 

Tzuyu quickly turned around and was making her way back into the middle school. Sana quickly raised an eyebrow and asked, “Where are you going?”

 

“To the old gym,” Tzuyu said, “I want to watch Jihyo play volleyball.”

 

“Why?” 

 

Tzuyu shrugged, “I had two choices as a kid… play soccer or volleyball. I had only done soccer, because volleyball was early in the morning and didn’t want to wake up that early.”

 

Sana had followed Tzuyu into the building and said, “Do you even know where the old gym is?”

 

Tzuyu stopped in her tracks and gave a flustered look, “U-Uh… m-maybe.”

 

Sana laughed and grabbed Tzuyu’s wrists, “Come on.”

 

Sana turned to the three other girls and said, “Hey… we’re going to watch Jihyo play volleyball, you guys can go on ahead.”

 

Once the two girls had gone into the school. Dahyun looked at the other girls and smirked, “Are they about to fu-“

 

Mina placed a hand over Dahyun’s mouth, while Chaeyoung sighed, “Don’t you dare break one of the Pact rules.”

 

-

 

Sana had finally led the two of them to the old gym. Tzuyu could hear the ball in the gyms smacking the ground. Tzuyu was about to open the door, but Sana shook her head, “I have a better spot to watch.”

 

The Japanese girl led the tall girl up a set of stairs to the second floor of the school. She had taken them to a double set of doors. Sana slowly opened the doors as they had a glimpse of the girls play volleyball.

 

They slowly made their way in without getting noticed. The two girls leaned over the railings and watched the girls hitting the ball. Tzuyu was mesmerized by the way the girls were playing then she spotted Jihyo on the court passing the ball to other girls/

 

As Tzuyu was watching one of the girls Jihyo was passing to jumped high into the air and slammed the ball with tremendous force that Sana and Tzuyu could hear it from where they were. Tzuyu widened her eyes and whispered, “Jeez… that sounded like a cannon.”

 

“That’s Jung Jinsoul,” Sana said looking at the girl high-fiving her teammates, “I’ve heard that she’s one of the best players in her position… just like you.”

 

“I don’t know about that,” Tzuyu said with a small chuckle as she kept watching them playing.

 

Jihyo looked at the score and saw it was 24-22, they were at set point. She was wiping the sweat on her forehead and was breathing heavily ‘This is way more intense then community volleyball.’ It was currently Jinsoul’s serve now. Everyone on the other team were preparing to receive the ace’s serve.

 

Jinsoul her lips and gave a small breathe, then heard the whistle. She started to run up towards the court and with a loud boom, the ball had flew across the court and hit Hayoung’s arm, but it flew off in a strange way and went out of bounds. Jinsoul cheered as everyone came rushing in after winning the set for the girls.

 

Tzuyu widened her eyes, while Sana whispered, “I would not want to be on the receiving end of her serves.”

 

The Taiwanese girl had slowly nodded her head and wished she had played volleyball instead of soccer now, but there was no changing her choices now. 

 

Both of the teams were making their way off the courts and getting their water bottles and wiping their sweat off with towels. Jinsoul slapped Jihyo’s back and smiled, “Your tosses are amazing by the way.”

 

Jihyo gave a small smile, then looked at the spikers, “If you need me to change the way I toss to you just tell me.”

 

All of the spikers had nodded their heads. While the girl was drinking out of her water bottle Yubin asked, “Hey… is there a way to tell who you’re tossing to? It kind of get’s confusing at time.”

 

Jihyo chuckled, “Uh… just assume that I’m going to toss it to you… it’ll fool the other team if you’re giving your all.”

 

All of her teammates had nodded their head in agreement, Jihyo continued, “Plus… I need a new distraction… I think they’ve caught on to my eye trick.”

 

Yebin raised an eyebrow, “Eye trick?”

 

“Yeah,” the setter explained, “I would usually side-eye at someone making them think that I would be passing to them, but I would pass to someone else… it works most of the time, but I think they’ll figure me out eventually.”

 

Coach Kang had blown a whistle for the game to continue. Siyeon’s team was serving first. The Vice-Captain was serving and hit the ball. Yebin had barely received the ball and yelled, “My bad… it’s a bit off.”

 

Jihyo smiled ‘No it’s perfect.’ as the ball was flying towards her. She noticed that Gyuri was watching her with a watchful eye, but the middle blocker noticed that she wasn’t looking at anyone and thought ‘Who the hell is she tossing to?’ but the ball was already making it’s way towards Yoonsun, who slammed the ball right past the blockers.

 

Yoonsun high-fived Jihyo and said, “Nice Toss.”

 

Miyeon was slightly getting annoyed at Jihyo, there was no way that her chances of being a setter were about to get taken by a no-namer like her. The whistle was blown signaling that the serve should start. 

 

Jinsoul through the ball into the air and slammed it across with quick speed. It had slightly curved to the right a little bit towards the sidelines, but Haseul noticed it would still be in, so she saved it and flew it into the air. Siyeon yelled ‘Nice Receive’ as she passed the ball to Miyeon.

 

Miyeon had many options to choose from, she saw Hayoung at the corner of her eye and smirked. She did a quick pass , which Hayoung was surprised at, but she was able to hit the ball as it barely went over the net and fell in the front row. 

 

Hayoung looked at Miyeon with a nervous smile, “Next time a bit slower… I-I can’t match up to your speed.”

 

The setter scoffed as she went back to her position making Hayoung look at Siyeon, who gave a small shrug.

 

Tzuyu looked at Sana and said, “Do you know that girl?”

“Which one?” Sana said with a raised eyebrow

 

Tzuyu pointed to the girl that was setting on the other side, “Her… the one with the quick passing.”

“Oh,” Sana said as she tried to see, “I think that’s Miyeon… she’s a new student too… rumors are she transferred here just to play volleyball here.”

The Taiwanese girl slowly nodded as she watched the setter get into spot. The rest of the game was going pretty smoothly with Siyeon’s team in the lead right now with 22-24.

 

It was Miyeon’s turn to serve and all of the girl’s on Jinsoul’s team were sweating and all thinking the same thing ‘Don’t give her a service ace.’ The whistle had sounded, the setter threw the ball in the air and struck the ball with such force that it had echoed louder than Jinsoul’s.

 

The ball had landed onto Yebin’s forearms and flew into the air and grunted in pain and thought ‘What the? This serve is stronger than Jinsoul’s.

 

Jinsoul tossed the ball to Jihyo who was ready to toss it to Yoonsun, but Gyuri was quick to see where the setter was sending the ball too and moved herself towards Yoonsun in a flash and was able to block the ball.

 

The ball flew downwards into the court with a thud. Yoonsun clicked her tongue in response as Siyeon’s team high-fived the middle blocker. Jinsoul’s team groaned in tiredness realizing that they had to play another set. Both teams were making their way off the court and resting themselves.

 

Sana and Tzuyu were still watching trying to process what had just happened making the Taiwanese girl give a chuckle, “Watching them play makes me wish I didn’t play soccer.”

 

Sana also laughed and said, “Yeah that was me when I was watching you play soccer.”

 

Tzuyu gave a small smile as she looked back at all the girl’s doing some stretches, then the girls were making their way onto the court for the third set.

 

It was Jinsoul’s serve, she threw the ball into the air and struck it down with incredible force as it perfectly landed between Haseul and Siyeon. Yebin yelled, “Nice Serve.”

 

The ball was throw back to Jinsoul who was looking at who to toss the serve to. She spotted Siyeon and figured she should get her first. The Captain threw the ball into the air and slammed it as it flew across towards Siyeon.

 

The Vice-Captain moved out of the way and yelled, “OUT!”

 

The ball went out of bounds making Jinsoul groan in frustration. Miyeon and Jihyo were basically giving each other death stares now, competing for setter. Even the Captains could feel their ferocity.

 

Jinsoul whispered Yubin, “I’m not the only one noticing the vibes coming from Jihyo right?”

 

Yubin nodded in agreement as she stretched her arms, “I mean her competition is Miyeon right now.”

 

The ball crossed over the net allowing Yubin to get the receive with ease and passed it to Jihyo who had tossed it to Yuju and easily got over the defenders with her height. The middle blocker fist-bumped Jihyo and said, “A bit higher next time… but other than that it was perfect.”

 

Jihyo nodded as Miyeon glared at the girl. Jihyo had given a small sigh and though ‘One more point and Miyeon will be rotated into the back… but she’ll be serving.’ She groaned in annoyance knowing Miyeon’s serve were hard to receive. 

 

Yubin tossed the ball into the air and lightly hit the ball which barely grazed past the net and floated down. Haseul widened her eyes and though ‘A jump floater!?’ She dived down quickly trying to save the ball, but had barely missed her fingertips.

 

Yubin gave a small smile as Jihyo high-fived her and Jinsoul was complimenting her on the serve. All of the girls were getting tired and breathing heavily. Tzuyu noticed this quickly and said, “Now I see why there are three sets in volleyball.”

Sana raised an eyebrow hoping the tall girl would elaborate. Tzuyu explained, “It’s basically a test of endurance or stamina… if there’s a tie in sets, then both of teams have to give it their all.”

 

“You can see that they’re all tired out,” Tzuyu pointed out, “But they’re still going all out,” then whispered, “probably why they’re a powerhouse team.”

 

The score was currently 23-23 and all of the girls were exhausted at this point. This was when Coach Kang was starting to pay attention to the players, she was trying to see who would push through this game with the amount of energy they all had. 

 

Miyeon was up for serving and all of the girls had gotten into position preparing for her hard serve. Miyeon gave a smirk as she ran up to the ball and lightly tapped it. All of the girls on Jinsoul’s team widened their eyes ‘A jump floater!?’ 

 

It had caught them off guard and landed perfectly in the middle of the court giving Miyeon a service ace. The girl gave a small laugh as the ball was tossed back to her for the next serve.

 

Miyeon had her eyes locked on a specific person at the other side of the court. She heard the whistle blow and immediately the girl tossed the ball and hit it towards Jihyo with tremendous speed.

 

The setter wasn’t prepared and received the ball in an awkward position. The ball had flown off Jihyo’s arms and flew back onto Siyeon’s team’s side. Siyeon yelled, “Chance Ball!”

 

Siyeon had tossed the ball towards Miyeon who was already in the front row. Everyone was watching intently at what the setter would do. Once the ball had entered into Miyeon’s hand she had throw the ball over the net.

 

Yubin and Jinsoul tried to dive for the ball to save it, but it had touched the ground before either of them could get a hand under it.

 

Yubin gave an annoyed sigh, while Jinsoul widened her eyes, “A DUMP!?”

 

Miyeon laughed, “What? Shouldn’t you also pay attention to me as well.”

 

Jihyo sighed seeing that the score was now 23-24… Siyeon’s team had set point and Miyeon was serving again. The setter had prepared herself for Miyeon’s serve attack.

 

Miyeon threw the ball into air and smacked it as it flew towards Yubin with a whack. Jihyo was running up as she received the ball. Miyeon narrowed her eyes ‘There’s no way she’ll be able to toss at that spot.’ 

 

Jihyo smirked ‘Perfect angle.’ and tossed it to Jinsoul who was running up and spiked it down so hard that the ball had hit the ground with a loud impact it could compare to a gun shot. 

 

Jihyo and Jinsoul did a double high-five as they yelled in excitement. Jinsoul exclaimed, “That toss was amazing.”

 

“I’m happy that the toss was perfect for you,” Jihyo said with her gummy smile.

 

Tzuyu scoffed in amusement, “I’ve never seen Jihyo so passionate about something before.”

 

Sana laughed, “I mean this is her first time playing with a school… let alone a powerhouse volleyball team.”

 

The tall girl widened her eyes in surprise, “Wait… so where has she been playing?”

 

“At the community recreation center,” Sana said with an amused laugh, “I know really surprising.”

Jihyo looked at the score seeing that it was 24-24 and thought ‘It’s a deuce.’ Yuju had served the ball onto the other side which was easily received by the other team. Miyeon easily got the pass and tossed it to Hayoung who spike the ball, but was saved by Yubin the back court.

 

Jinsoul yelled, “Nice receive!”

 

Jihyo made her way to the front court as she was getting ready to serve. Siyeon was paying attention to Jihyo trying to figure out where she was looking. 

 

Earlier during the timeout Gyuri was talking to her team “Jihyo’s eye trick may be fooling us, but she’s got another flaw.”

 

Siyeon raised an eyebrow as she took a sip of her water bottle, “What is it?”

 

“She shifts her weight slightly to who ever she’s tossing to,” Gyuri said, “She does it everytime.”

 

Siyeon was watching Jihyo’s footing to see where she would lean over, then she spotted the girl shift her weight towards Jinsoul. Siyeon quickly shifted her weight towards Jinsoul’s direction, but the ball had flown towards Yoonsun.

 

Jihyo gave a look at Siyeon saying ‘you-fell-for-my-trap’. Yoonsun was able to spike the ball pass Haseul since the girl was pretty short and slammed onto the ground. Yoonsun slapped Jihyo on the back and said, “Nice toss.”

 

The setter nodded as she looked at the score 25-24, ‘One more point… and this game will be over.’ All of the girls were now giving their 120% in this game. Sana looked at Tzuyu, “Jeez… for a scrimmage game… they’re going all out.”

 

Tzuyu nodded her head in agreement with a laugh, “Even it’s a scrimmage game… you have to treat it like it’s your last game forever.”

The ball had gone over the net and was received by Soobin who yelled and tossed it towards someone, “Miyeon!”

 

The setter ran up from court as she jumped from the back court and tossed it to Siyeon. The Vice-Captain had spiked the ball only for it to hit Jinsoul’s hand and fly off into the air. The captain yelled, “ONE TOUCH!”

 

Yubin had gotten the ball and passed it towards Jihyo in a quick motion. The setter saw Yoonsun and Jinsoul running up at the same time. Gyuri was watching the girl intently and moved once she saw the ball fly towards Yoonsun.

 

The Wing Spiker was quick and was able to get passed Gyuri’s defense, but Miyeon was behind her and able to receive the ball. She clicked her tongue realizing she couldn’t touch the ball.

 

The ball had gone towards Hayoung who tossed it to Siyeon. The Wing Spiker hit the ball as hard as she could, but had hit it diagonally hitting Jihyo in the face ‘Ah… that really hurt.

 

The ball flew into the air as Yubin got the toss and was passing it to Jinsoul. The captain her lips as she ran towards the net and jumped as high as she could, she slammed it with immense force as it Haseul was trying to get it, but it flew off her arms and went out of bounds.

 

All of the girls stood there for a moment, then Jinsoul’s team all gave a big cheer, while Siyeon’s all fell down in exhaustion and gloom. Siyeon breathed heavily, “Why does it feel like we just lost in the Finals?”

 

Hayoung gave a breathy laugh, “Everyone was giving their all.”

 

Miyeon was leaning onto her knees as she looked at Jihyo with a stern glaze, but also a respectful one at the same time.

 

The Coach had called all of the girls over with a beaming smile, “That scrimmage match was amazing to watch… I saw a lot of potential and skills that I think would be of great use for the team.”

 

The lady looked at Jinsoul and Siyeon who were wiping their faces, “Do you two have any last words?”

Siyeon shook her head, but Jinsoul spoke up, “I hope you all get to be on the team… it was amazing play with you and against you.”

 

Coach Kang smiled as she said, “Alright… tryouts will be scheduled soon and I hope to see all of you girls there.”

 

All of the girls had dispersed to all of their belongings and were putting their accessories and changing in the gym. Jihyo was the first to walk out, but a felt a hand placed on her shoulder.

 

She turned around to see Jinsoul with a happy face, “Your tosses were amazing… but your serves could use a bit of work.”

 

Jihyo gave a nervous laugh, but was happy that Jinsoul was complimenting her on her setting skills. Jinsoul then said, ‘“I really hope you get onto the team… it would SICK to have someone that tosses like you.”

 

The setter gave a small bow, “Thank you… and I’m happy that my tosses were spiked by you.”

 

Jinsoul started blushing and said, “Stop flattering.”

 

Jihyo gave an amused face ‘God she’s really different off and on the court.’ the girl started walking and said, “I have to start heading out.”

 

Jinsoul nodded as she watched Jihyo beginning to make her way out the gym. Siyeon had walked next to her and said, “You really want her to be our setter?”

 

“I guess,” the captain said, “but I’ve never really gotten any tosses from Miyeon so I wouldn’t know.”

 

Siyeon and Jinsoul sat down on the benches as all of the girls were leaving the gym as well. Siyeon looked around to make sure no one was around spoke, “Well they both have their ups and downs… I was paying attention to the both of them, because I know you weren’t and only wanted to spike.”

 

Jinsoul gave a small pout, while Siyeon continued, “Miyeon is a great setter… like almost at a professional level and she’s a good all rounder setter too, but she hates it when people aren’t up to her level… did you see when we tried telling her to slow down her tosses, but she didn’t? It was a miracle that we were able to hit them.”

 

“As for Jihyo,” Siyeon continued, “She’s got average setting skills and is decent at serving the ball, but she’s able to trick defenders so that her setting skills would be shown off… plus she’ll change her tosses for you guys.”

 

“Could you imagine if Jihyo and Miyeon were combined?” Siyeon said in a frustrated sigh, “They would be an unstoppable setter.”

 

Jinsoul had given a small nod in agreement, “And I think Coach Kang knows that… this is going to be a tough decision for her… both have different playing styles.”

 

The Vice-Captain sighed in agreement, “Yeah… but Coach might be able to figure something out.”

 

Jinsoul shrugged as she was grabbing her stuff and heading out. Siyeon raised an eyebrow, “Where are you going?”

 

“Uh leaving?”

 

Siyeon shook her head, “No you’re not… you’re helping me clean all of this up.”

 

Jinsoul groaned in annoyance as she threw her bag onto the ground and picked up the balls that were on the ground and putting them in the carts.

 

-

 

Jihyo was walking out of the school with her bag, then felt a tap on her shoulder. She quickly turned around so see a smiling Sana and bored Tzuyu standing behind them, Jihyo raised an eyebrow, “What are you two doing here?”

 

Sana pointed to Tzuyu, “She wanted to see you guys play volleyball… so I tagged along.”

 

Jihyo looked at Tzuyu, who gave a shrug as the three of them were walking out of the school gates.

 

Tzuyu looked at Jihyo, “You did pretty amazing Jihyo.”

 

“Thank you.” The older girl said with a small smile, “It was nice playing with people who actually give it their all.”

 

Tzuyu nodded in agreement, “Yeah… I feel you.”

 

It was nice seeing Tzuyu being open and start talking to people, but it also made the Japanese girl feel slightly jealous at time. The girl shook her head ’Stop thinking that… she’s talking to friends nothing more, nothing less.’ The rest of the walk was quiet until Tzuyu brought up, “So how was getting hit in the face with volleyball?”

 

Jihyo groaned in response, “Don’t remind me.”

 

Sana laughed, “Come on Ji… you should tell her the time when you first started playing volleyball.”

 

“We do not talk about that,” Jihyo said with a stern point at Sana.

 

The three girls were walking down the street, laughing as Sana was telling the story of Jihyo’s misfortune