Field Day

The Block

The middle school girls were walking into the building all chatting with each other. Mina and Jihyo were talking about the upcoming field day with the high schoolers today, Chaeyoung and Dahyun were already thinking of ways on how to prank the high schoolers, while Sana and Tzuyu were somehow able to talk to each other without the Japanese girl being a fumbling mess.

 

As they were walking in a teacher had walked up to them and eyed the two pranksters with a stern glaze, “I hope you two don’t get ahead of yourself this year.”

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung gave a nervous chuckle, while the pale girl looked at the teacher, “I see that your leg is finally healing Mr. Park.”

 

Mr. Park raised an eyebrow, “Yes it most definitely has,” then he leaned forward a stern glaze, “And if you two do pull something off during this field day… I will have the right to expel you both.”

 

The man had started walking away, greeting the other students. Dahyun and Chaeyoung had shivers run down their spines while Tzuyu looked at Sana, “So what did those two do last year?”

 

Sana gave a small laugh as she waved to Jihyo and Mina, “Those two released a bunch of pigs from the petting zoo and started to chase down all of the students.”

 

Tzuyu had given an amused look as they started to walk to Tzuyu’s classroom, “It was the funniest thing in the world watching all of the teachers chase those pigs… lead to Mr. Park breaking one of his legs after one pig had trampled him over..”

 

The two were standing in front of Tzuyu’s classroom just staring into each others’ eyes leaving Sana to awkwardly look away from the taller girl’s gaze. Tzuyu then said, “I guess I’ll see you at the park?”

 

Sana gave a small smile in response, “Yeah… I’ll see you at the park.”

 

The Japanese girl gave one last wave to the taller girl and watched as she entered into her classroom. Sana gave a small sigh as she watched all of the students scrambling to get into their classrooms. She was so confused with herself lately… she didn’t understand why her heart would beat so fast around Tzuyu. It never happened when she was with the others, just with Tzuyu… and it was even worse when it was just the two of them. 

 

Once Sana had taken her seat, she immediately started to doodle on the desks and thinking about a certain girl, then one of the girls sitting in front of her had turned around and asked, “You excited for the field day?”

 

Sana looked up from her doodling on the desk and shrugged, “I’m not really feeling it Chungha.”

 

A boy behind her, Doyoung, said, “You serious? It’s literally a free day we get to do sports, theres food and game stalls, some small ride, heck I even heard there was a petting zoo again this year even after last year’s incident.”

 

Chungha even added on, “Apparently there’s going to be a fireworks show this evening just for us… like how can you not get excited for this Sana?”

 

Sana had shrugged after finishing her soccer doodle, “I guess I’m just not feeling it Chungha.”

 

The boy was about to say something, but their teacher had walked in signaling that the school day was about to being. Their teacher walked up and said, “Good Morning Class.”

 

“Good Morning Mrs. Lee.”

 

“As you may all know,” Mrs. Lee said, “We will be having a field day with the high schoolers for the start of a new year.”

 

There was a collective cheer from all of the students, but the teacher had silenced all of them and said again in a calm voice, “Remember this is still a school event… no actions that will embarrass the school will be tolerated. If you are caught automatic detention and sent back to school… no exceptions.”

 

Back in the seventh grade hallway where a Kim Dahyun was leaning back in her chair while listening to the teacher, “No horse playing will be allowed at this event… if you are caught there will be immediate detention,” then looked directly at Dahyun, “and for some of you… an expulsion from the school.”

 

All eyes in the classroom had turned to Dahyun who had raised her hands in the air with an offended look, “Wow… do you all see me as some delinquent… I’ll have you know I did not cause Mr. Park from breaking his leg… that was on his own… I mean he’s like 50 something give him a break.”

 

The kids in the classroom all started to laugh, while the teacher was trying to get them to calm down. Once the classroom had started to settle down the teacher placed a box in the front of the room and said, “These are your t-shirts make sure to wear these when we go to the fields.”

 

“Any questions?” The lady said, after seeing no one raise their hands she gave a small nod, “Grab a shirt and get changed.”

 

-

 

All of the students were walking out of the school loading themselves onto the buses. Dahyun had spotted Chaeyoung and Tzuyu next to each other so she quickly went over to them and said, “Did they really have to choose these colors?”

 

Chaeyoung looked down at her neon orange shirt and shrugged, “I mean they have to keep track of us somehow.”

 

Tzuyu then whispered with a smirk, “It’s probably because of a few certain kids who couldn’t handle themselves.”

 

Dahyun narrowed her eyes, “You know I miss the old Tzuyu where she wasn’t mean and made fun of us all the time.”

 

“Sorry that’s just my nature I guess,” the tall girl said with a small shrug.

 

Jihyo, Sana and Mina were walking out as well with their bright blue shirts and seeing the mix of neon orange and bright green shirts mixing on the campus. Sana was looking for a certain tall girl, then she spotted her getting onto a bus with Chaeyoung.

 

The Japanese girl was getting ready to follow her, but Jihyo pulled her sleeve and pointed to an opposite direction, “Where are you going? Our buses are that way?”

 

“W-What?” Sana said in confusion, “Last year we were allowed to mix with the other grades?”

 

Jihyo shrugged, “Teachers didn’t like that idea, because Eighth graders were bullying sixth graders a lot… so we separated the grades onto different buses.”

 

Sana gave a disappointed sigh as followed Jihyo and Mina to their assigned buses. She saw that her teacher was holding up their classroom number, so she and Mina had proceeded to make their way onto the bus and take their seat. 

 

The kids on her bus were already starting to get rowdy until their teacher told them to be quiet and if she saw any horse playing she would send them back home.

 

Now onto the Class 2B bus, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were sitting with each other trying to avoid this awkward tension with each other. Tzuyu and Chaeyoung looked at each other and spoke at the same time.

 

“So…”

 

“How’s you and…”

 

They both gave a small laugh. Tzuyu said, “You go first.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “You and Sana… are you guys like… dating or something?”

 

Tzuyu had raised an eyebrow at what the girl was asking, “And what makes you think that?”

 

“I mean… you two seem to be getting a lot closer in the past 2 weeks, which is pretty impressive considering you were hard to open up,” Chaeyoung said with a small smile, while Tzuyu gave a small embarrassed look, “I was just wondering.”

Tzuyu looked out the window, “No we’re not dating… but it feels kind of weird being around her. She can be annoying at times and really clingy, but she’s the only thing I can focus on,” then she widened her eyes realizing she was slightly confessing, “e-except for soccer… I can focus on soccer as well.”

 

Chaeyoung gave a small laugh in response, then Tzuyu asked, “What about you and Mina? You guys seem pretty close.”

 

The artist gave a small shrug, “I don’t think me and Mina are going anywhere… I mean I don’t even know if Mina likes girls.”

 

“But have you ever seen Mina like boys?” Tzuyu said with tilt of her head.

 

Chaeyoung stammered for a bit, in all of her time knowing Mina she had never really mentioned any boy in particular… not like Mina would even mention her crushes to everyone, “She doesn’t really tell us who she likes.”

 

“I figured. I haven’t really talked to Mina that much, but she seems like a very quiet girl,” Tzuyu said with a small laugh.

 

“Tell me about it,” Chaeyoung said with a grunt, “it bugs me sometimes that she doesn’t like talking.”

 

“Maybe you don’t need to talk to her,” Tzuyu suggested, “Maybe she like the company of other people… you don’t know.”

 

Chaeyoung had given a small nod in response as the two were quiet again, but it wasn’t awkward anymore. The small girl really clicked with Tzuyu, it had it’s perks being her friend, because most kids were terrified of the Taiwanese girl since she had glowered at one kid for bumping into her in the hallway.

 

The small girl then remembered, “I was talking to one of my other friend who’s on the soccer team… and they need one more girl to join, since one of their girls is injured”

 

Tzuyu had raised an eyebrow, “How have they already made a team? The season isn’t even close to starting?”

 

Chaeyoung explained, “Oh the soccer team usually uses the players that were on the team last year… same with the high school team. Except the eighth graders on the team are now freshmen and the seniors are in college, plus they’ll usually pick people who tried out last year who didn’t make it.”

 

“The high school team?”

 

The small girl nodded, “Yeah Yongha High School, the same school Jeongyeon, Momo and Nayeon go to. For field day we usually play against them… no clue why since we always get demolished.”

 

Tzuyu had stared at the ground with wide eyes hearing that high school name ‘Yongha High School’ she looked at Chaeyoung again with careful eyes, “Are you sure it’s Yongha High School?”

 

“Yeah,” Chaeyoung said with worried look, “Why?”

 

Tzuyu shook her head, “I-It doesn’t matter.”

 

“Well… you should probably look for Saerom, she’s the captain of the team,” then Chaeyoung gave a sly smirk and whispered, “and if you really are good… you might have an advantage of making the team this year.”

 

Tzuyu had nodded her head as Chaeyoung then started going on a tangent about how she wants to do the art contest for the field day, but the tall girl wasn’t listening and thought ‘If this really is that Yongha High School… I guess I’ll be seeing her then.

 

-

 

The high schoolers were already in the park getting their first dibs on food and mingling around the area. Jeongyeon and Momo were sporting off their white shirts and their caramel-apples. Momo looked at Jeongyeon, “You think we’ll see the other girls?”

 

Jeongyeon was only hanging out with Momo, because she had no one else to be around with and didn’t want to be lonely… same thing with Momo, so the two came to a mutual agreement just for today.

 

The older girl had bit off the last piece of her apple and said, “Probably… I mean it won’t be hard to spot them.”

 

Then the buses for the middle school had arrived and many middle schoolers were piling out and making their way into the park and trying to get to the stalls.

 

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu had gotten off and were met with Dahyun who wrapped an arm around the both of them, “Let’s have some fun shall we?”

 

“I hope your definition of fun is legal and won’t get us in trouble,” Tzuyu said with a small chuckle.

 

“Oh it’s very legal,” Dahyun said with a smile, “But no promises on us not getting in trouble.”

 

The pale girl had dragged the two younger ones into the park. While those three were doing their own thing Sana and Mina had gotten off their bus and were met with a quick ruffle on the head. When they looked up they saw a beaming Momo and a cautious Jeongyeon. The oldest Japanese smiled, “How are you guys?”

 

While Jeongyeon was making sure that no high schooler was looking at them she felt a jab in her ribcage, she was about to scowl at them but saw Jihyo. The girl asked, “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in the park?”

 

“Momo wanted to say hi to all the younger girls,” Jeongyeon said with a sigh then whispered, “Did you know that we got another petting zoo after last year’s incident?”

 

Jihyo chuckled as she grabbed Jeongyeon’s wrist and started walking into the park with the Japanese girls trailing behind them. The middle schoolers were getting eyed by everyone seeing that they were hanging out with Jeongyeon and Momo. The oldest girl whispered to Jihyo, “Do you not care that they’re all staring at you?”

 

Jihyo looked around and shrugged, “I don’t really mind… besides I get stared at all the time since I’m the representative for our grade.”

 

The two were walking until someone had stopped in front of them. Jihyo had froze in spot and stammered, “D-Daniel?”

 

“Hey Ji,” the boy said, while Jihyo blushed at the nickname, “You doing anything?”

 

“U-Uh… no,” Jihyo said as she pushed Jeongyeon away from her, “Currently not doing anything… what about you?”

 

“Nothing much,” Daniel said then pointed at a certain ride, “Was wondering if you wanted to go on a ride… my friends ditched me while I was in the bathroom and found you.”

Jihyo saw the ride and almost turned into a ghost, but she gave a weak smile, “S-Sure.”

 

“Cool,” the boy said as he started to walk away.

 

Jihyo turned back to Jeongyeon, who was giving a thumbs up. The younger girl turned back around and started to follow Daniel. The softball player turned around to see Momo… not which the other two Japanese girls, “Where’s Sana and Mina?”

 

Momo shrugged, “Sana said she wanted to go look for the younger girls.”

 

Momo and Jeongyeon were walking by themselves until they heard a group of people murmuring and girls screaming with joy. They turned their heads to see Nayeon and those four other snobby kids. Momo wanted to gag, she hated those 4 kids with a passion, while Jeongyeon just gave sad eyes.

 

As the five kids were starting to disappear into the crowd Momo had whispered, “It that Nayeon had to get dragged into that.”

Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean?”

 

Momo surprised that Jeongyeon was able to hear that shook her head, “No… i-it’s nothing I was just thinking to myself.”

 

Momo quickly changed the topic and said, “Oh… look a petting zoo.”

 

Momo quickly made her way to the cages full of animals, while Jeongyeon had furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at what she had said, but she chose to ignore it for right now… she wanted to have fun.

 

-

 

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were sitting at a table watching Dahyun struggling to win this whack-a-mole game… the pale girl had already spent half of her pocket money trying to win this big raccoon plushie. While the two younger girls were eating their snacks, Chaeyoung had pushed Tzuyu’s hands and nodded her head to a certain direction.

 

The tall girl turned head to see what Chaeyoung was looking at to see a pretty looking girl, with shoulder length hair walking around with another girl. Chaeyoung explained, “That’s Lee Saerom… the captain of the soccer team. If you want to play for the game this afternoon go ask her.”

 

Tzuyu had been thinking about it for quite sometime… if she plays now she could show off her talent she though ‘I mean who knows maybe there could be a few scouts in the crowd’ then she chuckled ‘I’m delusional there wouldn’t be any scouts at a school field day.

 

But the tall girl did want to show off her skills to the high school team that she had beaten last year… she wanted to prove that the Chinese deserved the win and should be taken seriously. Tzuyu gave one last exhale and stood up and started making her way towards Saerom.

 

The tall girl had tapped on the captain’s shoulder, making her turn around with a smile, “Uh… yes?”

 

Tzuyu had given a small bow, “I heard that you needed a  player for the soccer game today? I was wondering if that spot was still available?”

 

Saerom eyed the girl up and down, “Uh… we already got a goalie… sorry.”

 

Tzuyu narrowed her eyes ‘Do I really look like a goalie? Doesn’t matter’. The tall girl gave an awkward laugh, “No I-I’m a striker.”

 

Saerom looked at the girl next to her who shrugged, “Don’t look at me… you’re the captain it’s your call.”

 

“What’s your name?” Saerom said.

 

“Ch-,” but Tzuyu stopped herself before continuing and said, “Kim Tzuyu.”

 

Saerom had raised an eyebrow, “Tzuyu? That’s a pretty weird Korean name.”

 

“Yeah… it’s a bit foreign,” Tzuyu said with an awkward smile.

 

Saerom and the other girl were beginning to walk away, “The game starts at 1:00 PM, be there sharp or else you’re not playing.”

 

Once the two girls had gone away, she gave a small sigh in relief as she walked back to their table to see Dahyun holding a big stuffed animal, while Chaeyoung was finishing the last few fries. The small girl asked, “So? How did it go?”

 

Tzuyu shrugged as she took a piece of fry and put in , “It was ok… I just need to be there by 1:00.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded her head in response and was about to say something, but Dahyun quickly got up and said, “Momo!”

 

The oldest Japanese girl was walking with Jeongyeon and turned her head around to see the pale girl running towards her with a big plushie in her arms. Dahyun quickly handed it to her with red cheeks, “I-I won this for you.”

 

Momo gave a beaming smile, “Really? Thank You… that’s really nice of you.”

 

Chaeyoung almost gagged, while Tzuyu gave an amused look. She turned to her smaller friend and said, “Is Dahyun usually like that?”

 

Chaeyoung shrugged, “I mean Dahyun is unpredictable… maybe she’s just being nice or something for once in her life. It’s kind of hard to tell what that girl is thinking.”

“Finally we found you two,” Sana said with a frustrated sigh. 

 

She dragged the whining Mina, who wanted to play the stall games and sat her down next to Chaeyoung, while Sana sat next to the soccer player. Sana asked, “So what have you two been doing?”

 

Chaeyoung shrugged, “We’ve been watching Dahyun trying to win this raccoon plushie for Momo, as for Tzuyu…”

 

“I’ll be playing in the soccer game later in the afternoon,” as Tzuyu took a sip out her water bottle.

 

Dahyun who had finally come back heard the last statement and sat down in an available space, “Oh… so we’re finally going to see soccer legend Tzuyu in action?”

 

Tzuyu shrugged, “Who knows maybe they won’t let me play the whole game.”

 

Sana then asked curiously, “Are you not worried that you’re playing against a high school team?”

 

Dahyun then reminded, “Let’s not forget that she played a high school team last year… do you remember what high school it was?”

 

Tzuyu widened her eyes trying to come up with an excuse and said, “Uh… not really… I never really paid attention to who my opponents were.”

 

“Oh… so you’re a cocky girl,” Dahyun raised an eyebrow, “Sana likes those type of people.”

 

Sana glared at the pale girl in response, while those two were bickering at each other. Chaeyoung looked at Mina who was playing with her fingers and said, “Do you want to go do something?”

 

Mina looked up from her hands and said quietly, “No I-it’s fine… I don’t want to interrupt you.”

 

“You’re not interrupting anything,” then Chaeyoung held her hand out for Mina, “Come on… I know you want to go to the game stalls.”

 

Mina slowly took Chaeyoung’s hands and the two of them left the three girls behind as they started to explore the stalls and dodging all of the other students. Chaeyoung asked, “So what do you want to do first?”

 

The Japanese girl looked around for a minute, then spotted a specific game she was really good at and pointed at it. Chaeyoung looked and smiled, “Alright let’s go.”

 

Mina had brought the two of them to a shooting stall where you would should shoot pellets and try to clear the entire star on a piece of paper. Chaeyoung then handed a few won to vendor and looked at Mina, “What do you want?”

 

The Japanese girl looked at the plushies that were hanging around the stall and founded a particular one and pointed at it, “That lion plushie.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded. She placed herself into the shooting position and started aiming towards the star and pressed the trigger. After she had emptied the toy gun the vendor pulled the piece of paper in and gave a small chuckle.

 

The small girl furrowed her eyebrows to see that she everything on the piece of paper… except for the red star. She was slightly embarrassed, while Mina gave a small giggle. Chaeyoung was about to spend more money on the stall, but Mina said, “Let me do it.”

 

Mina had handed the vendor her money and positioned herself in the correct way and started firing, Chaeyoung was very impressed on how accurate the Japanese girl was shooting. Once all of the pellets were gone the vendor had pulled the piece of paper in and had shocked eyes, when he had showed it Chaeyoung gawked in astonishment as well.

 

Mina had perfectly outlined the star and not leaving any stray hole on the piece of paper. The vendor was about to grab the lion plushie, but instead Mina said, “Actually… can you grab that penguin one up there?”

 

The vendor looked and spotted it and took it down for the Japanese girl and handed it to her. She had the biggest smile on her face, which made Chaeyoung smile as well… it was nice to see the quiet girl being so ecstatic over something, then a penguin plushie was handed into her arms. Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow, “What are you doing? I thought you wanted it?”

 

Mina gave a small giggle, “No dummy… I wanted to give it to you.”

 

The small girl was speechless… she was not expecting this kind of behavior from the quiet girl, then someone had pushed Mina aside which Chaeyoung didn’t like and said, “Hey watch where you’re going”

 

The girl looked down at Chaeyoung and said, “She was in MY way… she should watch where she’s going.”

 

The small girl was about to retaliate seeing that she could sense that this girl was nothing but trouble and was super snobby, but then someone had placed a hand on the snobby girl’s shoulder, “Jennie… calm down she’s just a middle schooler… they don’t know anything.”

 

Chaeyoung had narrowed her eyes at the familiar person and said, “Nayeon?”

 

The girl named Jennie had raised an eyebrow at the small girl then looked at Nayeon, “You know this girl?”

 

Nayeon gave an apologetic look to Chaeyoung, but the words that came out of didn’t match the expression, “She could be on my fan girls in the middle school.”

 

Chaeyoung was about to say something, but Mina had grabbed her hand and softly said, “Let’s go.”

 

“No I’m not going anywhere until you explain yourself Nayeon,” Chaeyoung said getting out of Mina’s grasp.

 

Everyone in the surrounding area had started to look at the commotion. Mina hated it when all eyes were on her so she pleaded to Chaeyoung in a soft voice trying not to cry, “Come on Chaeyoung let’s go.”

 

The small girl was staring at her older friend and was about to confront her again until Jeongyeon showed up and started pushing Chaeyoung away, while Momo was holding Mina to hide the tears that were about to come out.

 

Chaeyoung was trying to get Jeongyeon to let go, but the girl had a strong grip thanks to softball. Once the four girls were in a much more desolate area. Chaeyoung said to Jeongyeon, “What’s up with her? Just completely ignoring us.”

 

While Momo was calming down Mina she said, “She has her reasons.”

 

This was starting to frustrate Jeongyeon so she said in an annoyed tone, “Ok then if you know so much Nayeon… why don’t you tell us why she ignore us, why she’s so different outside of school, but in school we’re nothing to her.”

 

“You wouldn’t understand Jeong,” Momo said in a frustrated tone, “I can’t speak for Nayeon… she’ll talk to you eventually.”

 

Jeongyeon gave an infuriated sigh as she stormed off into the crowd leaving Mina, Chaeyoung and Momo by themselves. Chaeyoung looked at Momo, “What’s up with her?”

 

Momo shrugged as she continued to rub Mina’s head, “She’s been moody for a while now… I-I just don’t why.”

 

She had Mina look her in the eyes and say, “You ok now?”

 

The younger Japanese girl gave a small nod, then Chaeyoung walked over to the girl and gave an apologetic look, “S-Sorry about that… I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

 

“No it’s fine,” Mina said rubbing her eyes, “it’s kind of stupid that I cried over that.”

 

Chaeyoung was about to say something, but Dahyun and Sana came cruising in. Sana spoke up first, “Come on… let’s go we need to start heading to the soccer field.”

 

Momo raised an eyebrow, “Why?”

 

“Tzuyu’s going to be playing,” Sana said as she started dragging Momo with her, “And I can’t miss this.”

 

-

 

Tzuyu had parted ways from Dahyun and Sana. She was trailing on her own trying to find this stupid soccer field. She had tried asking people for directions, but all the middle schoolers would run away or the high schoolers would completely ignore her. She was about lose hope until someone had walked up to her and said, “Looking for the soccer field?”

 

Tzuyu looked at her and recognized her. She was the girl that was with Saerom earlier. Tzuyu had given a quick nod and the girl started leading them to the field, “Oh I forgot to introduce myself… I’m Sooyoung, but my nickname is Yves. I’m Right Midfielder.”

 

“And I’m-“ 

 

“Kim Tzuyu,” Yves said cutting her off, “We’ve met already.”

 

Yves the continued the conversation, “I haven’t seen you before last year… are you a new student?”

 

Tzuyu nodded in response, “Yeah… I just moved this past summer. I’m still adjusting to the Korean culture.”

 

The older girl nodded, “So where did you move from… Tzuyu’s not a very Korean name.”

 

She laughed in response and said, “I came here from Taiwan… my mom just recently re-married so here I am in Korea.”

 

“Tzuyu… that name sounds pretty familiar,” Yves said looking at the girl up and down, “I feel like I’ve seen you before.”

 

Tzuyu started to panic a little bit and said, “U-Uh there are a lot of Tzuyu’s in Taiwan... maybe in Korea… I just recently moved so there’s no way you could’ve met me.”

 

Yves gave a small chuckle, “Whatever you say Tzuyu… Ah we’re here.”

 

The two girls were arriving to the soccer field and the Taiwanese girl could see the stands being filled up with different colored shirts. Tzuyu whistled, “There’s a lot of people here.”

 

“Yeah,” Yves said, “Most of them are here to see Yongha High School destroy us… so don’t worry too much.”

 

Tzuyu nodded her head slowly noticing that Yves didn’t have that much confidence in this game… which kind of bugged the tall girl, but she chose to ignore it for right now.

 

Tzuyu was seeing a bunch of girl’s putting on white colored Jerseys and putting their cleats on which made Tzuyu widened her eyes in realization… SHE DIDN’T HAVE CLEATS.

 

Yves had noticed the look and chuckled, “You good?”

 

“I-I don’t have cleats,” the worried girl said brushing her hands through her hair.

 

Yves was calming her down, “I have extra pair of cleats… they might not fit, but you can try.”

 

The girl had gone through her bag and found her cleats she tossed them to Tzuyu, who immediately put them on and said, “They fit fine… just a little bit tight on my toes.”

 

“Alright Good,” the older girl said, “Cause we’re going to need a lot out of you.”

 

Yves was joining the huddle group followed by Tzuyu. Saerom looked at all of the girls and said, “Alright girls… this is Kim Tzuyu… she’ll be our spiker for this match. Remember they’re not gods… just regular human beings.”

 

“Yeah… but they were contenders for the High School Asian Cup last year,” One of the girls said, “Why are we even trying?”

 

“Shut it Lisa,” Saerom said and looked at all the girls, “Just clear your mind from any distraction… maybe we won’t be down by double digits like last year.”

Tzuyu had widened her eyes in response at what she had just heard ’They were down by DOUBLE digits? That’s terrible’. Once the huddle was over Tzuyu made her way to Yves and said, “How much did you guys lose by?”

 

The older girl looked in the air for a moment and said, “Uh… the score was 2-12, so yeah we were down by ten.”

 

Yves noticed the look and slapped her on the back, “Don’t worry about it… it’s just a scrimmage game and it only lasts for 2 quarters, so don’t be nervous if you get embarrassed it happens every year.”

 

Tzuyu gave a small sigh as she noticed that all of the girls were lining up and one of them said, “Look it’s the Yongha girls.”

 

Tzuyu looked over and saw how they were all wearing their school practice jerseys sporting off their white and gold colors while the middle school kids were wearing some cheap ones that were probably found in the dumpster and were tearing down. The girl named Lisa said, “Do you know how cool it would be playing for Yongha High School?”

 

“It’s impossible,” another girl said, “Yongha is one of the most prestigious schools in Korea you either got to be smart, have talent, good at athletics or hella rich… which guess what Lisa... you don’t have any of that.”

 

Lisa started giving a mocking face to which Saerom smacked both of the girls’ heads and said, “Focus… we’re lining up.”

 

The girls were beginning to line up on the soccer field right across the high schoolers, who were staring down at them with intimidating looks. The announcer went onto the microphone and said, “Students are you ready for the first Scrimmage of the day?”

 

There were cheers coming from all of the kids in the stands, while the announcer kept going and said, “For the starting line up for Yongha High School.”

 

“Captain of the soccer team… Moonbyul, Striker.”

 

A girl with a stoic expression stood up from the line and bowed in different directions. Tzuyu looked at the girl with a mean glaze… this was the girl that she had gone up against in the finals, she had modeled her skills after her seeing how she was smooth with the ball… it impressed her a lot.

 

Moonbyul went back into the line letting the announcer continue, “She’s in the top 3 for goalies, Yongha’s Goalie… Lee Sunmi.”

 

A very energetic girl walked out of line and started waving to everyone and bowing at the same time. The introduction for the entire Yongha line up had taken 5 minutes, so the announcer went to the Middle school Line up, “Now… for Seojun Middle School’s Line up we have…”

 

“Captain of the team… Lee Saerom, Left Midfielder.”

 

There wasn’t a loud cheer like for Yongha High School, but it was more as a pitiful cheer. This would go on for every single person, until it had gone to Tzuyu.

 

The announcer looked at the name with confusion on how to pronounce it so he said slowly, “Kim Tzuwi? I-I’m sorry if I butchered it, but she will be playing the position of striker.”

 

Tzuyu gave a small sigh in relief… the girls wouldn’t know Tzuyu’s real identity since, she wanted to surprise the high school girls. She walked out of line and bowed in every single direction, once she had finished it the announcer, “Captain… come to the middle please.”

 

Saerom and Moonbyul met at the middle and were giving intense stares, they shook each other’s hands. The referee looked at Moonbyul, “Pick a side.”

 

“Tails,” the girl said with a monotone voice.

 

The ref nodded his head and flipped the coin, it landed onto his palm. He looked down on it and said, “Tails… will you be receiving or will you receive.”

 

Tzuyu knew they were going to be receiving… their offense was incredible there was no doub-

 

“We’ll receive to them,” Moonbyul said and shook hands with Saerom one last time, before making her way back to the line.

 

The ref had announced that the Middle school would be receiving the ball first. Tzuyu wondered ‘Why would they defend… their offense is way better… unless they have a better defense now.

 

Everyone got into their respective positions on the field, then the whistle was blown allowing Yongha to kick the ball towards Eunha (Center Back), who passed it up to Lisa (Defensive Midfielder) who was dribbling the ball trying to avoid the high schoolers.

 

Tzuyu noticed that the high schoolers weren’t trying, so she smirked knowing that she didn’t have to full out… just yet. While Lisa was dribbling the ball past Yongha’s midfielder, she passed it to Saerom who easily got around their defense and was about to pass it to Tzuyu, but was intercepted by their Center Back.

 

The announcer yelled, “Lee was getting ready to pass to Kim, but was stolen by Jung Mimi who is now bringing it up the field.”

 

Tzuyu started to chase down their Center Back who had easily passed it to their Central Midfielder.

 

“Jung is able to pass it to Shin Hyejeong with ease. Shin goes around Manoban with no struggles and passes it to Ahn Hani.”

 

Hani (Left Midfielder) was cruising past the defense with ease and had an open lane to pass to Moonbyul. Tzuyu was about to see that insane kick from the girl. Once Hani had passed the ball to Moonbyul, the striker was already ready to kick and when the ball had collided with her feet it was going at insane speeds and was curving slightly into the goal, which Dawon (Goalie) couldn’t stop in time.

 

The Yongha High School students were cheering. Tzuyu seethed noticing that girl’s weren’t trying their hardest… without even thinking she yelled, “WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING!?”

 

Everyone on the field had turned their heads towards the tall girl, she continued, “Why are you guys not trying… even if it’s a scrimmage, you still got to try… I know some of are your dreams are to get into prestigious schools like Yongha, but clearly you don’t have the chops for it.”

 

A girl on her team, Yuju said, “And who are you to say that? You’re nothing but a replacement for our team.”

 

Tzuyu gave a small smirk, “I’ll show you.”

 

The high schoolers had all looked at each other with confused gazes, while Moonbyul had furrowed her eyebrows, but shook her head.

 

Dawon was looking for a girl to pass to and spotted Rose (Right Fullback). The girl had easily received and started to run down the field and spotted Hyewon.

 

“Park Rose easily attains the ball from Dawon as she passes it to an open Hyewon in the midfield.”

 

Hyewon then dribbles the ball past Yongha’s defense, knowing that the high school girl’s were going easy on them, then she spotted Saerom in the left side and passed it to her.

 

“Kang passes the ball to Left striker Saerom… the girl is approaching the goal net.”

 

Saerom notices the fiery eyes in Tzuyu, the intense glare saying to ‘Pass it here’. Saerom hesitates for a moment, but she shakes her head and passes the shot to Tzuyu.

 

“What’s this? Lee doesn’t take the shot and instead passes it to Striker Kim.”

 

Tzuyu had gotten the ball right in her feet, she was about to approach the goalie box, but she had kicked her leg back in the same way Moonbyul had done earlier as well, which the Yongha Goalie had noticed. The Goalie had jumped left preparing for the attack, but Tzuyu had changed her footing at last second and kicked it to the right side of the net.

 

“Goalie Sunmi jumps to left preparing to stop the ba- KIM THEN CHANGES HERE FOOTING AT THE LAST SECOND… AND… AND… GOAL!”

 

The ball had easily came into contact with the back of the goal net leaving all of the players with a shocked silence even the crowd had stayed silent for a few moments, then there was a loud cheer coming from the Middle Schoolers.

 

“I can not believe it… Seojun Middle School was able to score a point early in the first quarter… could this be Seojun’s game?”

 

Tzuyu was breathing heavily, while a shocked Sunmi was on the ground seeing that the ball had entered the goal net. The Taiwanese girl was tackled by Saerom and Yves. Yves yelled, “How the hell did you manage to do that?”

 

“Like I said,” Tzuyu said staring at Moonbyul with an intense glare then back at Yves and Saerom, “I’ll show you.”

 

-

A/N: Hello… so I’ve never really watched soccer or played it so I don’t know if I butchered the positions and rules and if I did please tell me so I can fix it, cause I want to be as accurate as possible. Hope you guys are enjoying the story is far