Meet the Kids

The Block

Jeongyeon was sitting in the wooden tree house that her father had built for her when she was 10 years old. She loved the neighborhood that she was in, the people were sweet and minded each others’ businesses. She lived in a pretty nice house with one of her friends living behind her and to the left of her house as well.

 

She was staring at the sun above her just thinking about how much fun she had in the past two months, pranking the older kids, swimming in the pool, even developing a crush on her next door neighbor, but we don’t talk about that… and now she was getting ready to begin her high school journey. 

 

Yoo Jeongyeon was one of the toughest girls in the neighborhood, even her father has come to agree that she’s pretty tom-boyish, but still had a feminine side to herself… I mean for god’s sake she beat up Seungri this summer for being a on her friend.

 

The tall girl was flinging her bat around in the tree house, she wanted to… no she WAS going to be the best softball player in high school . The girl has always had a passion for the sport ever since she had laid her eyes on a bat. She continued to swing the bat until she had almost knocked the head off a girl who was entering the treehouse and growled, “Yo watch it Jeong… you trying to kill me”

 

“My bad Momo,” Jeongyeon said as she stopped swinging the weapon and looked at the sun again, “Momo… it’s the last day of summer vacation… our last days of being teenagers and starting our journey of being young adults.”

 

“When did you get so philosophical,” Momo said as she was taking her seat on the wooden railing, she noticed the nervous look the older girl was giving, “What are you so jumpy about… it’s just school, but with bigger people.”

 

The girl wasn’t going to lie… she was —I mean freaking terrified of high school. I mean she was about to run into a bunch of big and greasy boy as well as the popular girls… I mean how intimidating can you get?

 

Not for Hirai Momo, the Japanese descent was a carefree girl and didn’t care what others had thought about her. Momo’s family was a bit complicated, she had two step-siblings which were Myoui Mina and Myoui Kai. She had an older sister, Hirai Hana. Even though there were four kids in that family it was never a quiet one, which the Myoui-Hirai family was fine with... except for Mina, but she was able to tolerate it.

 

Momo had a passion for dancing, since she was 5 years old. For a girl her age some would say she was at the professional level, but she didn’t think she was that good at dancing, she mostly learned from her older sister. And the Japanese girl was pretty buff as well, since Kai was a muscle freak because he was in football so she caught on with his routines. She also had a caring side to her since she wasn’t the youngest anymore and had a younger sister like Mina that she had the need to take care of all of the time

 

It was safe to say Momo, was an all rounder person.

 

The two were continuing to sit in the tree house just bickering at each other saying who would be the best in high school until another person walked through the Yoo fence gate and had her hair in pigtails and was carrying a stick on her shoulder, “What are you two up to? Thinking about pulling another prank on the Jung Family again?”

 

“Come on Sana… we’re not that vicious,” Jeongyeon said and started to joke, “Since me and Momo are now becoming freshmen… I think it’s time for us to mature a little bit.”

 

Sana gave a slight chuckle as she watched Momo and Jeongyeon act like they were being classy and heard someone else walking in behind her and the new person scoffed in a teasing tone, “Momo and Jeongyeon being mature? That’s a first.”

 

“Oh shut up Jihyo,” Momo said as she stuck her tongue out at the younger girl.

 

Minatozaki Sana… a very beautiful girl at her age. She was heading into Eighth Grade with Park Jihyo right now. Sana was a bubbly girl and would always socialize with anyone she had come across… even if they were 3 years older than her. Jihyo on the other hand was slightly reserved and wouldn’t talk unless she had to, but everyone in her school had respect for her since she was the most mature in their grade.

 

No one in Sana or Jihyo's grade understood how the two were friends, they were complete polar opposites from each other, but to Sana and Jihyo they had a benefical relationship. Sana would scold off any boys that would come close to Jihyo and talk to people who Jihyo didn't feel like talking to, while Jihyo would do her best to help Sana with her studies and keep people from badmouthing the Japanese girl, since she was the representative of their grade.

 

Sana was currently in her first year of Lacrosse and she was starting to like it, at first she hated it because the coach was super mean, but she got use to it at some point. According to her mother, her dad was a huge Lacrosse fan back in the states so she wanted to play the sport just for him. Jihyo was playing volleyball for their community center. She was the starting setter and thought she was pretty good for someone who was just starting to play the sport as well. 

 

“What up dweebs,” someone said just over the fence at the back.

 

All heads turned towards the sound of the voice and saw two short girls just barely peeking their head above the white-picket fence and trying to jump over the fence. Jeongyeon laughed at the two who were struggling, “You two do realize you can just go through the front gate.”

 

A girl with pale skin had finally managed to hop over, while she tried to help the other struggling girl, “That’s not fun… Oh come on Chaengie… you can hop over it.”

 

“Shut up Dahyun,” Chaeyoung said as she had finally gotten over the fence and the two were walking towards the tree house.

 

Son Chaeyoung and Kim Dahyun were just another two pair of mischief and chaos. The two had known each other since kindergarten. Chaeyoung was born into a art-centered family, so she had picked up painting pretty fast and could be the next Picasso. Dahyun’s family lived right behind Jeongyeon so she had easy access to their backyard. The Kim family were pretty hysterical… so funny that Jihyo’s mom had to give birth to their recent child, because of how much she had laughed at Mr. Kim’s jokes.

 

Dahyun’s parents forced her to play piano at a young age, because she was too energetic and they needed something for the girl to calm down. The two younglings were currently heading into seventh grade and were excited for the transition, for once they would be treated like the big dogs.

 

Chaeyoung looked around, then spotted Momo in the tree house and said, “Where’s Mina?”

 

Momo gave a teasing smirk as she looked at Chaeyoung from above, “Are you looking for your little crush?”

 

The small girl stuttered as her cheeks began to turn a bright red, “I-I… U-Uh… N-No… M-Mina… pft. Who’s that?”

 

Dahyun patted Chaeyoung on the back and gave a joking tone, “You’re terrible at hiding your crushes… it’s pitiful.”

 

Everyone and I mean everyone, including the parents knew that Chaeyoung had the biggest crush on Mina ever since the girl had moved into the neighborhood and started hanging out with them. Chaeyoung never knew why she had liked the Japanese girl… it kind of just happened one day when the two were alone in Jeongyeon’s treehouse during a sleepover.

 

“If you really want to see Mina she’s at home right now,” Momo said with a small chuckle, “She’s been grinding out Animal Crossing or whatever it’s called on her Switch… she hasn’t left her room ever since she got it.”

 

Myoui Mina… the most shiest girl on the planet. It took a few weeks for Momo to open that shell of Mina’s ever since she had moved in with the Hirai family. Once Momo had done the impossible of breaking that shell she had immediately brought her over to Jeongyeon’s treehouse to meet everyone else… it took a few MORE weeks for Mina to get comfortable with everyone, but it all worked out in the end.

 

Mina was apart of the gymnastics team, she was pretty good for her age as well. Her coaches and trainers say that she could get some good scholarships from colleges when she gets into High School, but the Japanese girl didn’t want to get her hopes too high she still had other dreams she wanted ot fulfill.

 

Jihyo then turned towards Jeongyeon in the tree house, “How’s Nayeon? I haven’t seen her over the past few months.”

 

Jeongyeon shrugged remembering that the older girl was leaving with a suitcase and backpack a month ago, “She went on a camping retreat this summer… so she should be back today.”

 

“Did you guys miss me that much?” A voice said from the other side of the backyard and was leaning against the picket-fence

 

There she was the oldest of the bunch and the next door neighbor of Jeongyeon . Im Nayeon was heading into her sophomore year, the girl was very… unique. The girl was part of the popular crowd at school, but still like hanging out with the seven other girls when it was passed school hours, but now that Jeongyeon and Momo were heading into her high school, she was going to try her best to make it seem like she didn’t know them.

 

Jihyo rolled her eyes and gave a small chuckle, “No…  I was asking, because I hope you would be gone for longer.”

 

Nayeon had jumped over the fence and went over to grab Jihyo’s cheeks and started to pinch them uncontrollably, “Well I missed you too Hyo.”

 

Jihyo was trying to get Nayeon’s hand off of her face, while giving a disgusted look at the girl. While those two were having their squabble, Jeongyeon and Momo were making there way down the tree house and taking a seat at the outdoor table with the other girls. Dahyun was using her shirt as a fan and said, “God… I hate this heat… why does it have to exist?”

 

“Well you see,” Momo began, “The sun creates a blast of heat radiation-“

 

Dahyun placed a hand on the Japanese girl’s mouth and scowled, “I don’t want to hear the nerdy explanation… I just want to bask in the last day of summer vacation.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckled at the two who were squabbling, then started looking at the other side of the backyard and seeing that there was a goal net in Jeongyeon’s neighbor’s backyard which made the small girl raise an eyebrow, “Did people finally move into Somi’s house?”

 

Jeongyeon who had went inside to grab a couple of bottles of water for the girls looked at her neighbor’s backyard and nodded her head, “Yeah… they moved in a few weeks ago, my mom forced me to bring cookies for them last week, no one was home except for their daughter... she was also really pretty too.”

 

All of the girls had widened their eyes at Jeongyeon making the girl raise an eyebrow at the reactions, “What? Can I not call a girl pretty?”

 

“The Yoo Jeongyeon… calling someone pretty?” Nayeon said with a tone of disbelief, “I thought I would ever hear the day that you would compliment a girl.”

 

“What?” Jeongyeon said in a defensive tone with a tint of red on her cheeks, “S-She really was pretty… Look she’s walking out right now.”

 

All of the girls had turned their heads to see where the girl was pointing and to see if she was lying… and sure enough the ostrich looking girl had stood corrected. The girl in the other backyard was wearing a sleeveless crop top showing off her waist and stomach, the girl was also wearing super short shorts. Her long black hair was flowing in a ponytail through the wind… all of the girls kept staring at her and making it super obvious that they were staring.

 

Nayeon kept staring at the beauty and said, “So who’s going to say hi?”

 

Everyone all just looked at each other until all eyes went on to a specific person who was leaning on her lacrosse stick, then she widened in her eyes in realization on what they wanted her to do, “Woah woah… why me?”

 

“Because you’re the social butterfly of our group,” Nayeon said as she grabbed Sana by the wrist and was dragging her to the picket fence.

 

“W-What am I supposed to say?” Sana said in disbelief, “I’ve never seen this girl in my life.”

 

“Yeah neither have we,” The older girl said as she grabbed Sana’s lacrosse stick and threw it over the fence.

 

Sana widened her eyes in realization on what Nayeon was trying to do. The older girl said, “If you want it… go ask her for it.”

 

Nayeon then quickly sprinted back to the other girls while Sana was fuming at what she had just done. The Japanese girl gave a small sigh as she slowly composed herself and walked over to the picket fence and leaned over and coughed loudly to gain the girl's attention.

 

The girl on the other side had headphones in and was watering the plants that were in the backyard, so Sana had coughed a little bit louder and said, “Um… E-Excuse me.”

 

The girl had taken her headphones out and turned towards the sound of the voice and spoke, “Yes?”

 

Even her voice sounded lovely’ Sana thought, but quickly shook the thoughts away and said shyly, “U-Um I was wondering if you could grab me my stick… I didn’t mean to throw it over.”

 

The heavenly lady nodded her head as she found the stick lying in the middle of their yard and grabbed it for Sana. While the girl was bending over, Sana kept staring at her lovely… peaches, which made the girl quickly look down with a flustered look. When the girl had stood up straight and was walking back the way she had swayed her hips made Sana blush profusely and was pulling on her collar from the heat… and it was not from the sun.

 

The girl had handed Sana her stick and said with a small laugh, “If this was your attempt with trying to flirt with me… it was kind of bad.”

 

“W-What?” Sana said as she stuttered and tried not to hit herself with the Lacrosse stick, “I-I just wanted my stick.”

 

"Either way if your flirting did work I'm kind of too old for you," The girl gave a small laugh,  "My name is Seolhyun, I'm 17”

 

“I'm Minatozaki Sana," The japanese girl said, then quickly pouted as she crossed her arms and felt offended at Seolhyun's statement, "And what makes you think I'm young?"

 

Seolhyun pointed at the girl’s hair and said, “The pigtails kind of give it away.”

 

Sana blushed with embarrassment and made a mental note to herself NOT to wear pigtails anymore, but Seolhyun continued, “I have a younger sister that’s probably about your age… and your friends as well. She needs friends anyways.”

 

“If you want… I can go get her for you,” the older girl said with a soft smile.

 

Sana didn’t really know what to say, but if there was another girl that was their age who needed friend… she couldn’t see why she should reject the offer. Sana smiled and nodded her head in response to Seolhyun.

 

Seolhyun then walked away from the fence and opened the backdoor to their house and yelled, “Kim Tzuyu… come outside.”

 

Sana had furrowed her eyes brow ‘Tzuyu’ was a very foreign name, but then she saw another figure walking outside in front of Seolhyun and growled pretty loudly at the girl, “I said not to call me by that last name.”

 

Seolhyun gave an apologetic look, but after that the Japanese girl couldn’t hear their conversation, but she noticed how cute Seolhyun’s sister was with her doe eyes and her silky hair being in a ponytail as well. The girl was also pretty tall for her age as well.

 

Sana could see their mouths moving, but no sound. Tzuyu looked at Sana for a few moments, then back at Seolhyun and shook her head then walked back into the house. Sana felt kind of hurt when she saw the head shake from the girl.

 

Seolhyun walked back to Sana and gave an apologetic look, “Sorry about that, Tzuyu’s not in the mood for hanging right now… she’s still getting adjusted with moving to Korea. Uh… she’s my step-sister from Taiwan. My dad recently married her mom so she's trying to get comfortable with everything.”

 

“She’s a bit stubborn and quiet, but she’s a legend at soccer, basically the girl version of Messi,” Seolhyun said as she bragged and pointed torwards the goal net in the corner of the backyard.

 

Sana gave a small nod as she listened to Seolhyun who said, “If you ever get the time… you should let her hang out with your friends over there… I feel like she would fit well in your group of friends.”

 

Seolhyun was walking back into the house as she closed the backdoor right behind her. Sana opened and closed her eyes for a few seconds on what had just happened. The rest of the girls came running up the girl and asking what had happened.

 

“I-I don’t know,” Sana said, “but what I do know is that this school year… is about to be interesting.”