Unfair

Ryulia Oneshot Collection

from what i’ve seen so far, i guess you guys really liked laces a lot, huh? i’m really happy about that, thanks for reading everyone! here’s another oneshot that i hope you guys would enjoy it. also contains a lot(?) of cameos. pretty long one up ahead y’all

 

Italics= Thoughts

Bold= English

Underline= Texts

Italics with Underline= Video or Call

 

 

 

When Jisu wakes up, she feels horrible. She reaches out for her phone with a grumble, but when she sees the date, she can’t help the silly grin on her face. Maybe this day wasn’t so bad. She receives a notification, and her grin widens.

 

Ryu 😘💖: 6:24 AM

”I know you've just woken up 😉 Good morning, princess. I look forward to today 😊

I miss you, and I love you!! 😖❤️”

 

She sends a reply and stands up to get ready for the day. Jisu prepares a simple breakfast of eggs and toast, before grabbing her bag and heading out for school. She was a senior at her university, studying to fulfill her dreams of being a fashion designer. And she lived in an apartment a few minutes away from her school.

 

Jisu stops by a nearby cafe, taking in the smell of coffee and pastries. She sighs in relief to see that it wasn't crowded. She goes to the counter and smiles at seeing a familiar face behind the register.

 

”I’m jealous that you don't have classes this early, Kim Hyunjin. You get paid for it too.” she says. The black-haired girl shook her head with a smile, denying her statement.

 

”I’d rather be a customer than work here, Jisu. You know I only took the job because I’m the only one who doesn't have classes in the gang. Anyway, what can I get for you?” Jisu simply giggles, knowing that her friend loved bread more than anything. Perhaps, except for a certain bunny. She was rather surprised that Hyunjin hasn't eaten anything from their stocks yet.

 

”Just an iced americano. Oh, and add a strawberry latte and give it to you know who, when she arrives later.”

 

”Okay, you don't have to pay for anything, since today is a special day.” Hyunjin says with a wink. Jisu  tries to hand her card over, but the taller girl simply waves her away and tells her to go sit down.

 

”Are you sure about that Aeongie? I don't mind paying.”

 

”Don't flaunt how rich you are, princess. I told you already, I’ll handle it. Now, go sit down and patiently wait for your drink.” Jisu dejectedly walked to an empty chair after thanking her friend. After she waves bye to Hyunjin and received her drink, she walks to the university. At the gate, she spots a familiar head of long blonde hair and she runs up to her.

 

”Yuna-yah! Wait up!”

 

”Oh! Jisu-unnie, what's up? Also, why isn't my cousin with you?” her friend asks. Shin Yuna was a freshman in the sports department and was on their floorball team. She was a recent addition to their small friend group.

 

”Oh, Ryujin’s classes don't start until an hour from now. She's tired, so she's catching up on sleep.”

 

”Ah, I see. By the way, here's a little something for you. I got lucky at the convenience store earlier.” Yuna reached for something in her backpack and Jisu lit up at the sight of her favorite cookies.

 

”Here. I want you to have it since today is a special day.” she continues. The senior smiles and thanks her, taking the snack.

 

”Anyway, we've arrived at your classroom. My class is a few doors away, so I’ll be going now Jisu-unnie! Have fun!” The taller girl walks off with a wave. Jisu shouts her thanks for the snack again and Yuna gives a small thumbs-up, before turning a corner. Jisu enters her classroom with a smile and plops down on her seat. The class would start in a few minutes, so she brings out her notepad and pen. She was determined not to fall asleep in class today, especially when it was her favorite professor’s class.

 

”Okay, good morning everyone. For today...” Ms. Sana enters the room and gives her usual greeting before starting their lecture. Jisu then starts to diligently write then notes. She looks to her iced americano and thinks that somehow, she wouldn't fall asleep during any of her classes today.

 

 

During lunch break:

 

 

The moment she exits her classroom for lunch, she’s tackled into a hug. Jisu was unprepared, but she manages to be steady even with the sudden force. Thankfully, she was familiar with the situation.

 

”How many times do I have to tell you not to hug me so suddenly, Lee Chaeryeong? We might end up hurt one of these days, you know?” The girl in her arms looks at her with a pout.

 

”Oh come on, unnie! It's a great day today. I’m just excited for you, you know?” Jisu only ruffles the younger girl’s hair before walking towards the cafeteria. Chaeryeong follows her closely, talking about how her morning classes went. Jisu only nods or gives short responses to her friend as they walk to their usual spot.

 

When they arrive, she spots Yuna and their other friend, Yeji already at the table. Her same-aged friend gives her a wave as she plops down at the seat beside Yuna.

 

”So, how’s the day been so far?” Yeji asks her.

 

”It’s been great! Hyunjin and Yuna gave me free stuff today.” Jisu replies. Yeji smiles at her before pushing a tray of food over to her.

 

”Well, I guess I’ll be joining them with the giving as well. Enjoy your lunch Jisu-yah.” The fashion design student looked at her with wide eyes.

 

”What? Isn't that a bit too much? I’m starting to feel a bit guilty with how much you guys gave to me today.” she says. Chaeryeong only laughs before sitting down beside Yeji.

 

”Don’t worry about anything, Jisu-unnie! We’re doing this to make you just a bit happier today. As I’ve said, today's special!” 

 

”Besides, we're your friends, Jisu. We really don't mind. Here, some tea and a bottle of water.” Suddenly, a deep voice said behind her. Jisu sees a hand place two bottles in front of her. She immediately knew that it was their other friend, Jeon Heejin. She turns around to see Heejin with Hyunjin right beside her.

 

”Aww, you guys are so sweet. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.” Jisu finally gave up trying to deny her friends’ gifts and simply thanked them all. She knew that they would spoil her today no matter what.

 

”Also, since you wouldn't be seeing the last Jin until after school, we’re filling in for her.” Hyunjin added. Jisu stands up and gives all five of them hugs before they all settled down and ate. They chatted and laughed as they enjoyed their food. Yeji, Yuna, Chaeryeong, Heejin, and Hyunjin all shared glances before nodding. Their plans were definitely going smoothly.

 

 

Time skip to after school:

 

After classes ended, the group friends went on their own way home. Heejin with Hyunjin, Yuna was with Yeji, while Jisu walked to her apartment with Chaeryeong, who was her neighbor. As the pair were talking casually, Jisu looked at the empty space and immediately pouted. This didn't escape the younger girl’s notice and she chuckled.

 

”Awww, are you missing Ryujinie that bad? Am I not enough for you unnie?” she said with a teasing pout. Jisu reached out to hit her friend’s shoulder weakly.

 

”It’s not that Chaeryeong. I just feel pretty bad that I could only spend such a short amount of time with her now. Especially on such a day like this.” Chaeryeong went closer to Jisu’s side and brought her hand to her friend’s back, rubbing comforting circles.

 

”I know unnie. That's why the girls and I were doing our best to take your mind off things. And speaking of which, I know that blue-haired idiot treats you to ice cream on the way home quite often, so here we are.” Jisu’s eyes widened. She didn't even realize where there were until now.

 

As it turns out, Chaeryeong brought her to her favorite ice cream shop when she was distracted with the thoughts of her girlfriend. It brought an excited smile on her face and she immediately hugged the brunette.

 

”Now just sit down somewhere and leave the order to me. It's my turn to treat you today unnie.” Jisu, now used to her friends’ antics, simply thanked her and headed to an empty table. As she waited, she felt her phone vibrate and she immediately looked at it. Jisu smiled brightly when she saw who the text was from.

 

Ryu 😘💖: 5:48 PM

My last class will be over soon unnie! 😆🤘 Can't wait to see you in a few~ ❤️❤️ I’ll text you when I’m on my way, okay?

 

Jisu sent her reply and looked to Chaeryeong who just arrived with their ice cream. 

 

”How did you know my favorite flavor?” she asked as the younger girl handed her the cup. Chaeryeong only giggled as she sat down, and then showed her the screen of her phone. 

 

”Ryujin sent you guys a list of my favorite stuff? Wow, no wonder I’ve been getting all my favorites today.” 

 

The conversation took off from there, as they ate their ice cream. The girls talked about how their day went and news on their favorite girl group, Twice. And soon they were done with their icy treat and they continued on their way back home. The ice cream shop wasn't far from their apartment complex, so it only took the pair a few minutes to arrive at Jisu’s place, which was a few doors closer to the elevator than Chaeryeong’s.

 

”Well, I guess this is it unnie. I hope you have a great time with Ryujin later!” The younger girl gives her older friend a tight squeeze before skipping down the hallway to her own apartment. Jisu only shook her head at her friend’s energy before punching in her code and entering her apartment. While she takes off her shoes and hangs her coat, she sends Ryujin a quick text to come over quickly because she misses her.

 

Ryu 😘💖: 6:13 PM

Classes just ended 😕, but I’ll be there quickly!!! I miss you too 🥺🥺

 

At this, Jisu leaves her phone on her kitchen counter before changing her clothes to something more comfortable. She comes back and starts preparing dinner. She planned it a week ahead for this special day and bought the ingredients during the weekend. She wanted to make all of Ryujin’s favorites today because her girlfriend deserved it.

 

After preparing all the necessary ingredients, she moved on to cooking. When everything was beginning to heat up, she sent another text to Ryujin to ask where she was. Instead of getting a reply from the girl, she receives a text from Yeji.

 

Hwang Fury 🐉(an: just imagine the dragon is a light fury you guys): 6:47 PM

Ryujin forgot something so she rushed back to get it 🙄🤦‍♀️ so don’t worry if she’s a little late, Jisu-yah. The girl’s running right now, so I’m telling you instead. Your girlfriend owes me 😤

 

Jisu laughed at their silliness and sent Yeji a thumbs up. She went back to focus on cooking, but she suddenly heard a knock on her front door. She heard Chaeryeong’s voice and went to the door, after deeming it safe to leave the stove open to cook the food without the risk of burning anything. 

 

When she opened the door, she was greeted by the sight of a panting Chaeryeong. Puzzled by this, she asked the girl if she wanted a glass of water.

 

”It’s fine unnie. Thanks for asking though! I just forgot to give you this earlier!” Chaeryeong shoved a box into Jisu’s hands. She looked at the thing in her hands and was surprised to see her favorite brand of dark chocolate. Sensing her surprise, the brunette rushed to explain.

 

”A gift from Ryujinie. She handed it to me yesterday. Anyway, I don't want to keep you for longer, least you burn whatever you're cooking. It smells good by the way! Bye Jisu-unnie.” Chaeryeong hurried to push the girl back in her apartment before closing the door herself and scampering off. Jisu shook her head once more at the fast-paced happenings. However, she returned to the kitchen to ensure the perfection of their dinner.

 

Half an hour later, Jisu was finished with everything and she began setting the table. She turned to the wall clock and was immediately worried because it was already quite late and Ryujin was nowhere to be seen. She sent another text to her girlfriend. And this time, she wasn't surprised to see that she received a message from another of their friends.

 

Shin NaYu~🤩🙌: 7:19 PM

Shin Ryujin-unnie is on her way!! 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️ She might be caught up in the rush hour traffic though, unnie 😨 

Sorry about that, Auntie sent her on an errand the moment she got home to drop off some stuff. I tried to convince her to send me(just this once unnie, because I love you), but you know how much Auntie babies me 🥺

 

Jisu sighs in relief at the knowledge that Ryujin was just fine. And this time she isn’t surprised to hear someone knock on her front door again. However, when she opened it, she was startled to see someone else aside from Chaeryeong.

 

”Hyunjin? What are you doing here?” She noticed that her cat-like friend was panting softly, with something behind her back. Hyunjin wordlessly hands it to her and it turns out to be a bouquet of paper roses in different colors. Jisu was amazed by how intricate it was.

 

”The 3jin maknae owes me big time for this. Anyway, Ryujin made most of this a few days ago. Though, she learned from my freshman friend, Son Hyejoo. You know her right?” Jisu nodded her head. Of course, she knew about that intimidating freshman who sweetly confessed to their school’s fairy princess- now Hyejoo’s girlfriend- Park Chaewon during her birthday. According to the whispers, Son Hyejoo placed a variety of origami in places Chaewon frequents before ending the day by giving her a bouquet of origami roses.

 

”Anyway, that blockhead wasn't able to finish it, so Hyejoo finished the last three for her. I’m giving it to you now because I’ve heard that she’s late and Heejin told me to take responsibility for our maknae’s stupidity.”  Hyunjin continued with a huff. Jisu was then abruptly pushed back into her apartment before the door slammed shut once again.

 

In disbelief at her friend’s behavior, she simply placed the roses on her counter before finishing her set up. She plops down tiredly on her sofa and turns on the tv to wait for her girlfriend. She thinks that it would take Ryujin about half an hour to arrive, so she watches a recorded episode of Weekly Idol that featured Twice.

 

 

It wasn't until she neared the end of the episode that she realized the time. An hour has passed since she last heard of Ryujin’s whereabouts and she was about to send a text to her girlfriend, when she heard frantic knocks on her door. Thinking that it was Ryujin, she quickly went to the door. However, she also received a text, from Heejin she notices, and checks it as she opens the door. 

 

Heekie 🐇🎸: 8:24 PM

Hey uhh, Jisu... I don't know how to tell you this, but I received a call from the nearby hospital. Ryujinie got caught in an accident... They just told me that her injuries were too bad and she didn't make it. I’m so sorry.

 

Heekie 🐇🎸: 8:24 PM 

Hyunjin and I are already here. And Yuna’s on her way with Auntie Shin. We sent Yeji and Chaeryeong to get you. I’m really so sorry, Jisu-yah. I just hope they arrive before you read all this.

 

Jisu felt knees weaken as she fell, only to be caught by two strong arms. The pain of her fall not registering in her mind. The only pain she felt was the pain of knowing that Ryujin was gone.

 

She didn't even notice her tears until she felt them rub circles on her back, her friends whispering comforting words as they sobbed frantically. She didn't know how much time has passed that she was already in Yeji’s car with Chaeryeong beside her, and arm still around her shoulders. She didn't know how long she’s cried until she realizes that they were already at the hospital’s ER, already in the embrace of all her friends.

 

”It’s going to be alright Jisu-unnie. She isn't gone forever.” Yuna whispers softly, the grief evident in her voice.

 

”She’d want you to smile, unnie. She’d want all of us to smile. You know how much Ryujin hates to see us cry.” Chaeryeong says in a weak attempt to get them to stop crying. However, what she says only makes them sob even harder.

 

”I miss her too Jisu.” Heejin whispers bitterly. Hyunjin whimpers as more tears fall from all their faces.

 

”I wish this was just a nightmare.” she mumbles. Heejin nods, she too wishes that this was all just a bad dream. 

 

”I can't believe that this is happening today of all days.” Yeji says, choking a laugh of disbelief through her tears. That very reminder causes Jisu to cry even more. She hugs her friends even tighter, and even if it started to hurt, they don't mind at all. 

 

You see, today was a special day for both Jisu and Ryujin. On the same date a year ago, when Ryujin was a second year and Jisu was in her junior year, was the very day they became an official couple, after countless years of pining. They were supposed to celebrate it with dinner and a sleepover at Jisu’s place with no one to bother them. It was their first anniversary, but now Jisu doesn't see a reason to celebrate the day in the future.

 

When they have calmed down a little, their loud cries turned into quiet sobs, the group of six lifelessly dragged themselves to see Ryujin’s body. They were welcomed by the sight of Ryujin’s mother hunched over her daughter’s body. They instantly knew that they would hear her anguished cries in their nightmares. As they inched closer, Yuna and the 2jin duo immediately went to the older woman and brought her into their embrace as they tried to find comfort in each other. Yeji decided to stay a bit further away, only close enough to see Ryujin’s face, but not close enough to see all her injuries.

 

The moment Jisu saw Ryujin’s bruised face, she immediately collapsed on her knees, reaching out to hold her beloved’s hand in her own. She felt herself letting out a wail of pure devastation as she felt the coldness from the usually warm hand. As she cries, she looks back in her memories and realizes that this is the only time she’s ever felt Ryujin’s hand turn cold. She lets out a bitter laugh.

 

Ryujin’s hands were always the warmest, even in the harsh cold of winter. And now, it was as cold as ice. 

 

She looks at her girlfriend’s peaceful face, hoping that she would soon wake up from this horrible nightmare. However, nothing happens and she only sees one of her tears fall on Ryujin’s pale cheek. She doesn’t know how long she stays there, until she’s dragged lifelessly onto her feet. She felt that she was being led outside, but she couldn’t bring herself to care where she was going. She felt nothing but pain and anguish at the loss of her beloved girlfriend.

 

When she comes to, she notices that the six of them were on the rooftop of the hospital. All huddled up in a closed circle, tear stains still evident on their puffy faces. They all sat in silence until Yeji gathers up the strength to talk.

 

”You know, we’ve been planning for two weeks. She wanted everything to be perfect for you, Jisu-yah. She was looking forward to today so much. In fact, we all were.” she says, unable to continue when she starts to sob again. Yuna fought through her tears and continued for her.

 

”She’d bother us with her ideas for gifts or surprises. We didn’t really mind though.” she lets out a weak laugh. The other four nod in agreement.

 

”We were happy to help her out, of course. All five of us know how much you two love each other, and after how many years of your mutual pining, we were happy to see you celebrate your anniversary. And as the cousin who always sees her at home, I could see how happy she was because of it.” she stops herself, because the cries become uncontrollable. Yuna brings her hands to her eyes to wipe them away, but her tears didn’t seem to stop flowing. Sensing her best friend needed some support, Chaeryeong goes next, as she hugs her younger friend closer.

 

”I made me kind of jealous, you know? She put her all to making today special. It’s not everyday that you see someone as loving as her. The stuff we gave you was all her idea. We even had something planned for your dinner together.” When Chaeryeong is unable to speak any further, as she buries her face in Yuna’s neck, Heejin speaks up.

 

”It was honestly shocking to see our best friend like that. We’ve always known she was attentive and caring, but it was always different when it came to you. When we were planning our biggest surprise, it was like seeing the little kid Hyunjin and I watched over grow up. It was an amazing thing to see, you know? From a little crybaby that always hid behind Hyunjin’s back to someone who was so loving and ready to dedicate her entire self to the one she loves.” At this point, couldn’t hold back from crying any longer and threw herself into Hyunjin’s embrace. While rubbing circles on Heejin’s back, she turned to Jisu.

 

”The final surprise was supposed to be when all of us barged into you two after eating dinner. Chaeryeong was going to bring in party poppers and a banner, Yeji and Yuna with a cake, and that monkey entrusted the most important things to us. Heejin with a little box and I was to bring in a guitar. Ryujin wanted...” Hyunjin choked up at the name, but she continued talking.

 

”Ryujin wanted Heejin to give you that box, while I give her that guitar so that she could serenade you. She said it was one of your childhood fantasies, but no one knows what that little box holds.” Hyunjin feels tears fall from her eyes yet again and she wipes at them furiously. Jisu gasps through her sobs, remembering telling Ryujin all about her childhood.

 

She has a feeling that she knew what was in that box. And the thought makes her cry harder. The pain in her heart felt like it multiplied.

 

 

”I’m sure Heejin still has it with her.” The mentioned girl looks up and nods, bringing something out from her pocket.

 

”She’d want you to have it.” Heejin says hoarsely. Jisu gently takes the box from her and she hesitates to open it.

 

”I guess we’re lucky that Ryujin sends me her practices, huh? She told me not to let anyone hear it, but I guess I have no choice.” Hyunjin says, bringing her phone out from her pocket. They watch in silence as she searches through her files.

 

Jisu feels herself choke up at the sound of the voice she hasn’t heard all day, but she tries her best to keep quiet. She notices the others try to hold back their own sobs from breaking through at the familiar voice of their friend.

 

“Hey, so I guess tomorrow’s the day, Hyunjin-unnie? This is my last practice. Tell me what you think, even if it’s bad. Man, I’m so nervous, do you think it’ll be okay? I don’t want to...

 

They listen as Ryujin continues to talk, immediately feeling a sense of longing to hear her voice again in real life. And then they hear the guitar begin to play a familiar melody, and it was there that Jisu let her cries out freely. The group of close friends immediately follow right after, as they hear the low and soothing voice of Ryujin singing the lyrics to Ed Sheeran’s Perfect. It was honestly the best song for their relationship. And they all felt devastated that Ryujin would never get to sing this to the intended person herself.

 

Jisu doesn’t know what happens, but she suddenly feels compelled to open the small box in her hands. Inside was a simple ring, with their initials engraved into it. She lets out a gasp, before dropping the box and crying more. She covers her face with her hands as she sobs uncontrollably, the pain shaking her entire body. 

 

Shin Ryujin was just unfair. And Jisu finds herself wishing that this was all just a nightmare. She prays to every deity out there to bring Ryujin back to her. However, she knows it won’t happen and she’s only met with the coldness of her loss.

 

“That’s all. Do you think that was alright? I’m not that great of a singer, but I want to sing this for her. I just want Jisu-unnie to know how much I love her, you know?”

 

 

 

 

 

okay, so not gonna deny. i kinda cried, cause i’m a big softie. even playing all the cheerful songs while i wrote this wasn’t enough y’all. and i feel pretty bad writing angst so close to ryujin’s bday. but here we are. anyway, that’s all for now. sorry for updating really late!!! also sorry for the mistakes, there might have been a lot.