Her Personal Teddy Bear (Part 1)

Ryulia Oneshot Collection

Italics= Thoughts

Bold= English

 

In a room dimly lit by the little bits of sunlight bursting through the slits of the curtain, a certain blue-haired girl gradually opened her eyes. Barely awake, she looked around the room she was in. The bedroom she was in was simple yet elegant, with various shades of blue and white painting the walls and the furniture inside. Her gaze turned to her side, and she noticed a framed picture of what seemed to be a couple during their wedding day. Strangely enough, one of the figures looked like her when she still had her pink hair.

 

Where exactly was she again??

 

It was then Ryujin noticed a familiar warmth snuggled up against her. Regaining her senses, she remembers it was her own bedroom, shared by none other than her beautiful wife that was currently sleeping in her embrace.

 

’Wife. After all these years, I still can’t believe it.’

 

The very thought brought a huge smile to her face. Ryujin focused her gaze on her wife, and she let out a content sigh. The two have gone through a lot over the years. See, the thing is she and Ryujin were childhood friends, having known each other since their kindergarten days. The fact that they ended up together may have been no surprise to their families and their friends, but to the couple themselves, they never would have seen it coming.

 

’Though I guess this entire thing started all because of that one incident back when we were kids.’ Ryujin began to reminisce the events of their past.

 

 

Several years ago:

 

Nine-year-old Ryujin absolutely can’t wait for her favorite unnie’s 10th birthday. The young girl made sure to prepare her gift two weeks prior, with help from her beloved mom of course. She glanced at the calendar hanging on the wall. It was just a week left until that very important day.

 

’And Jisu-unnie said we’ll be having a sleepover for a week! I'm so excited!!!’ Ryujin thought to herself. 

 

Soon enough, the fated day had arrived. With her right hand tightly clutching her mom's, Ryujin held a small box in the other as she bounced on her feet. She was waiting for her Jisu-unnie to open the front door. Just what was taking her so long?! It was her birthday!

 

Thankfully, the trio didn't have to wait for long. Ryujin heard the familiar sound of her Jisu-unnie’s footsteps rushing towards the door.

 

”I’m sorry for making you wait for so long Ryujinie! And you too Auntie and Uncle!” was the first thing her favorite unnie did when she opened the door.

 

”Jisu-unnie!!! Happy Birthday!” Ryujin didn't hesitate to tackle the birthday girl in a hug. Jisu was just thankful that even with her recent growth spurts, Ryujin still wasn't any taller than her. She still couldn't help but wonder at the strength the little body in her arms held.

 

”Thank you Ryujinie.” she replied with a smile, embracing the smaller girl.

 

The two separated and the Shin’s were led to the living room. They were just in time for the little celebration Jisu’s family planned for their little girl. It was a special occasion for it was the first time she’ll have two digits to her age. While it was commonly a good thing, Ryujin still teased Jisu about being old, much to her chagrin. 

 

Jisu’s family and the Shin’s then ate and celebrated. The two kids played around as the adults watched on with fond smiles. It was heartwarming to see such a close bond between their two kids. Jisu was always there to watch over Ryujin with care and love. And Ryujin always did her best to be a ”knight-in-shining-armor” to her favorite unnie. In the minds of their parents, the future seemed bright for Ryujin and Jisu.

 

Later in the day, Ryujin’s parents left to go back to their own home. Ryujin herself was left in the care of the Choi’s for the entire week. It was a tradition they wanted to start for the two children. They would spend their entire birth weeks with each other and have sleepovers. And they hoped it would carry on until they were old and wrinkly.

 

Several hours later, the two were in Jisu’s bedroom, getting ready to sleep. When they were both on the bed, Ryujin pulled out her birthday gift for her unnie.

 

”Here’s your present, unnie! I hope you like it. Mom and I planned a whole lot for it!” the youngest in the room then handed the little box in her hand to the celebrant. Ryujin made sure to make her gift wrapped in sky blue, Jisu’s favorite color. 

 

The older girl thanked her friend for her thoughtfulness and slowly began to unwrap her gift. Inside was a simple silver chain bracelet with a little charm. Jisu inspected it closely and saw it to be a green ’R’.

 

”I have my own too, unnie.” Ryujin said, bringing out an identical bracelet from her pocket. Though this time, the charm was a sky blue ’J’. A blinding smile graced Jisu’s face when she saw this. Ryujin looked at her with pure adoration and Jisu herself can sense the love coming from her eyes.

 

’I never noticed, but Jisu-unnie is really pretty.’ Ryujin thought to herself. 

 

”Thank you so much Ryujinie. I’ll keep this with me forever.” she said gratefully. Jisu thought that her best friend really went all out this year and it made her really happy.

 

”I’m glad you like it Jisu-unnie. I’ll wear mine forever too!” Ryujin then showed her whisker smile. She was really happy that Jisu liked it as well. The hours they spent looking for the perfect gift was totally worth it!

 

’Ryujinie is really cute when she smiles like this.’ 

 

The pair then helped each other put on their respective bracelets. Throughout the entire process, the two were smiling at each other constantly. Though Ryujin yawned cutely when she was putting on Jisu’s, making the older girl laugh. After that, they agreed that it was time for bed. Ryujin was close to falling asleep after all.

 

Jisu reached for her bedside lamp and turned it off, causing the room to be completely dark. Ryujin turned to her unnie’s direction and embraced her tightly.

 

”Good night Jisu-unnie. Happy Birthday. I love you!” And with that the younger girl had fallen asleep. The older girl simply returned the hug and snuggled closer to her friend. She was really cuddly, just like a teddy bear.

 

”Sweet dreams Ryujin. I love you too.” 

 

Jisu closed her eyes and soon joined her friend in the land of dreams. By far, this was indeed the best birthday ever.

 

 

Flashback End

 

’That entire week was really fun. Spending so much time with her was just the best. But nope, that isn’t the incident that changed our lives.’