What The Heart Wants

How To Fix A Broken Heart

"Thank you so much for coming over to help move some of my stuff. It's nice to have a neighbour willing to help for once rather than watch me struggle. I'm sorry, I forgot to ask your name, Miss....?", Yongsun smiled, her symmetrical dimples below deepening in an awkward attempt at friendliness. Her neighbour used her spare hand to sweep back her own short cropped crimson fringe, she had the boyish looks many a teenage girl loved about thier favourite idol.

"Oh, uh..Liu..Amber Liu..Nice to meet you, i'm always happy to help a neighbour out..Oh, hey babe, time to go already?. Ok, i'm coming, sorry to leave you so soon Miss.", with that, she was gone. Yongsun couldn't see the person on the other side of her door but she knew the familiar feeling in her stomach as she watched Amber leave with a crooked smile on her lips. Stomach turning over in a confused roll as she frowned and closed the door, Yongsun walked over to her sofa and sat down heavily, the phone was unplugged because she had no electricity yet but her mobile was clutched in her right hand and within seconds of sitting down, she had dialled the one person guaranteed to make her feel better. As soon as the line was picked up at the other end, her heart leapt and the same feelings she had just frowned away came back even stronger, talking fast, she put the phone down a few minutes later and felt instantly better. At least while she waited for her saviour, she could get some well deserved sleep.

In the time it took for her mind to rebuild her neighbour in her dream, the doorbell rang and she woke up abruptly, her eyes adjusting to the darkness as she got off the sofa and walked to the door, artificial light from the hallway beyond bleeding under it. Moonbyul almost knocked Yongsun to the ground as she rushed inside, a shopping bag in her hands. For a second, Yongsun stood with the door open and then she closed it slowly as walked into the kitchen looking puzzled at Moonbyul's bag of goodies. The latter grinned as she started taking food out of the bag and placing it in the refrigerator. It took Yongsun a moment to realise the light was on as the door was opened and the same amount of time for her to blink into the newly revealed living room around her. Walking around the counter between them, she wrapped her arms around her friend and buried her face in her back in gratitude. "Yah!, Yeba!, let go of me so I can put this tteokboki away for later. Oh and you owe me for the electricity, i'll let you know how you can repay me later.". As she turned around, Moonbyul made an awkward grin and a show of playfully pushing Yongsun away from her, all the food already in the fridge.

There was a knock at the door and both girls looked at each other, Moonbyul pulling a face that signified Yongsun should open her own front door, pulling her cap down lower over her long purple hair. Yongsun giggled and crossed the room to the door, pulling it open, she saw a girl stood there, a plastic bag in her outstretched hand. She looked like any other 20-something girl and Yongsun smiled through the awkward silence as the girl handed the bag over and left abruptly, not even bothering to introduce herself. Looking puzzled, Yongsun closed the door slowly and turned back into the living room where Moonbyul was lounged like a cat on the sofa eating something she had unearthed from the fridge. Before saying anything, Yongsun put the girl's bag on the counter and looked inside to find a few cans of soft drink and a note. She thumbed open the small blue envelope and read the words in silence until her friend got up and walked over to her, snatching it from her hand and reading it herself. "OoooOoooh..what's this?..Yeba has a love letter!..I thought I was the love of your life, not this Amber". Even though her tone was mocking and Yongsun knew she was joking around as usual, her heart dropped a little to hear her mock the girl who was so present in her thoughts and so she pouted as she passed by and closed the bedroom door loudly on Moonbyul.

Managing to snatch the letter back on her way past, she stood with her back to the door and closed her eyes, her head felt like it was pulsing with confusion, what should she do?, only a door stood between her and her secret love. It was a simple thing to open it and confess her feelings but at the same time, she couldn't ignore the flashing image of her charismatic neighbour and the aching in her stomach at the mention of her name.