Departures and Arrivals

Finding Each Other
Please log in to read the full chapter

Autumn 2027 | Joohyun

 

‘Hi Joohyun, Sooyoung here. Will you be free to meet me this afternoon at 2pm at the Waterfront Café?’ – Sooyoung.

 

I toyed with my phone in my hands contemplating my response. After that incident 5 years ago Sooyoung and I hadn't really talked much. Partly because I was angry and partly because Sooyoung was aware that I might have information on Seulgi’s whereabouts. It made sense for the both of us to keep away from each other for a while.

 

Until this.

 

‘What for?’ I replied, unable to keep still till my phone vibrated again.

 

‘I’ll explain more in person. Please come meet me?’ – Sooyoung

 

I sighed at Sooyoung’s cryptic reply, mentally preparing myself for the unknown.

 

‘Ok.’

 

 

“Thanks for meeting with me,” Sooyoung said. For some reason she was wearing a relieved expression on her face. Could she be that glad to see me and get our friendship back on track?

 

“Spill. I’m not in the mood for jokes Soo,” I cut straight to the chase.

 

Sooyoung sighed and leaned back against her chair. “Straight to business huh? Couldn’t we try to ease into this conversation? It’s not gonna be easy you know.”

 

I glared at her. “Park Sooyoung. Don’t waste my time.”

 

“Okok,” Sooyoung held her hands up. “Relax.

 

“I think first things first I want to apologise for the incidence 5 years ago because it obviously left a bitter taste in both our mouths,” Sooyoung began. “I’m not saying that I would have told you where Seulgi was but I personally felt that I could have handled the situation better and that may have made things less sour between us.”

 

I nodded, acknowledging her point but refused to step up to make an apology of my own.

 

She left me in the dark. And I was – and still am – angry. I think the anger is warranted.

 

“So the reason I called you here today is this.” Sooyoung set down a mobile phone in front of me. The screen was unlocked and displayed an overseas number.

 

Overseas. Seulgi?

 

“Wow, you’re handing Seulgi’s number to me on a silver platter now?” I sarcastically asked.

 

“No, this isn’t her number. She has no clue that you’re looking for her and in fact, she knows nothing about what happened 5 years ago either.

 

“This is the number of Seulgi’s wife.”

 

“What the heck? Seulgi’s married?” The question erupted from my lips before I had any chance of processing it. A part of me felt hollow hearing the news. Why?

 

“Yes,” Sooyoung replied, sliding a photo across the table. It was a photo on Seulgi’s wedding day. Damn did she look dashing in that white suit. And her wife looked so…ethereal. Bright eyes, blonde locks, beautiful smile…she looked absolutely beautiful.

 

And they looked amazing together.

 

My heart stung.

 

“Why-Why are you showing me all this?” I asked softly, unable to take my eyes away from the photograph.

 

“Because, Seulgi’s wife is dying. And you,” Sooyoung withdrew the picture and put it back into her bag so that my eyes were on her. “Are part of her dying wish.”

 

“Me? But I don’t even know her.”

 

“And she doesn’t know you either. Hear me out Joohyun, I know this is confusing for you. If we want things to progress as quickly as possible, let me get straight to the point. What are your feelings for Seulgi?”

 

“I-I,” I stumbled over my words. This was the exact question I had been looking for the answers for the past few years. What did I feel for Seulgi? Anger and resentment at her for leaving? Longing for reconciliation? Curiosity to find out what happened between us?  Needing her beside me again?

 

I lapsed into silence. Sooyoung sighed and covered my hand with hers.

 

“Sorry Joohyun, that was a bit too much of a question. Let’s break it down, okay?

 

“What did you feel for Seulgi when she was around in university?”

 

“She was…an interesting character. Sometimes she just kept to herself but I realised that it was her way of paying attention to detail, how she saw the clouds in the sky, the bird on the tree…and my emotions. I thought I was pretty good at covering up my emotions till one day she asked me if I was okay. She even noticed little things, like when I wasn’t feeling well, or that day when I strained my shoulder during PE …and she translated everything she saw into kindness and care.

 

"She would bring me medicines, she even taped my shoulder for me and she was so detailed about everything she did. I can still remember the focus in her eyes as she did what she did."

 

“And what did you feel when she stopped talking to you?”

 

“I was puzzled. I thought everything was going on great but all of a sudden she stopped. Sooyoung, do you know why?” I looked up.

 

Sooyoung simply smiled and nodded her head. “I will tell you why Joohyun, but let’s finish up the questions first?”

 

I nodded and continued. At least I would get some answers after this.

 

“I was upset as it grew on longer but I thought Seulgi just needed some space. That’s why I never pushed for her to start talking to me. I didn’t know if I had done something to make her mad. But I thought time would slowly heal all wounds.”

 

“And when she started talking to you again?”

 

“I was so happy and relieved. I felt like I finally found a missing puzzle piece. I wanted to spend more moments with her, make more memories with her, understand her better so I would know where I went wrong.”

 

“And when she left?”

 

“Angry, hurt. How could she just leave without telling me anything? It’s not fair! I wanted to spend more time with her, take care of her, tell her not to bottle her emotions up. Tell her not to run away and we would face all of her problems together.”

 

“Last question Joohyun. If given a choice, would you be willing to spend the rest of your life with Seulgi?”

 

It was as though Sooyoung’s questioning had opened up my heart. A word slipped through my lips even before I realised what I said.

 

“Yes.”    

 

Sooyoung smiled, as though satisfied with my answers.

 

“You love her, don’t you.”

 

It was more of a statement than a question.

 

I hung my head down. How could I still confess my feelings for Seulgi when she was already married and moved on?

 

“Don’t look so sad, you passed.”

 

“Love isn’t a game or a test Sooyoung! I-“

 

Ignoring my outburst, Sooyoung reached across the table to the phone and pressed the green call button.

 

Less than three rings later, a tired voice answered the phone.

 

“Sooyoung?”

 

“Wendy. You were right. She still loves her. Do you want to talk to her? She’s sitting opposite me right now.”

 

“Yes, of course,” Wendy cleared her voice on the other end of the line.

 

“Hello Joohyun-ssi. We finally get to meet.”

 

 

2 w

Please log in to read the full chapter