I Will be Happy and Hopefully You Will be Too

Finding Each Other
Please log in to read the full chapter

Winter 2029 | Joohyun

 

“Hyun, are you sure this is a good idea?”

 

“I don’t think anyone would be mad…to be honest, I think it’ll be a pleasant surprise,” I replied, assuring Seulgi by rubbing her arm. We had just come back to Seoul and were on our way to a class reunion, one that Seulgi had not attended since our class graduated.

 

“But like…I haven’t talked to anyone in ages…” Seulgi mumbled.

 

“So, this will be a good time to catchup.” I stopped in front of the entrance of the restaurant. “Hey look at me.”

 

Seulgi looked into my eyes. I could see the worry flitting around in those brown orbs and I knew she needed more than just words to expel those fears.

 

“I’m here with you Seul, there’s nothing to worry about. Sooyoung’s gonna be there too. If things get really awkward, we can just leave okay?” I reasoned with her before leaning up to press a kiss on her lips. I felt Seulgi relax into the kiss as our fingers intertwined.

 

“Okay,” Seulgi agreed as we parted. “Let’s do this.”

 

+

 

“HOLY IS THAT KANG SEULGI I SEE?!”

 

“Joohyun you’ve really outdone yourself! You’ve found and captured the legendary Pokémon Kang Seulgi!”

 

“Kang Seulgi! It’s been so long how the hell have you been!”

 

Shouts and exclamations erupted as Seulgi and I neared the table. I felt Seulgi’s grip around my hand tighten and knew instantly she was overwhelmed. I squeezed her hand back in reassurance before addressing the class, “Guys, one by one please. Y’all are scaring her.”

 

“Hey Seulgi, over here!” Sooyoung waved Seulgi to the spot she had saved for both of us. I sighed in relief. Seated between Sooyoung and me meant that Seulgi would be surrounded by people who she was comfortable with.

 

Despite the initial shock, Seulgi greeted some of our classmates as we headed to our seats, smiling and making some small talk with them. My heart warmed at the sight of Seulgi managing to socialise with old friends, but a piercing gaze made me turn around.

 

Bogum.

 

Our eyes met and he was quick to stand up to come over.

 

This was bad. I hadn’t replied him after that disastrous incident a couple of months ago so obviously he knew something was up. The last thing I wanted was a confrontation between him, Seulgi and me in front of everyone.

 

“Joohyun.”

 

“Bogum.”

 

Seulgi immediately turned around upon hearing me mention Bogum’s name. I saw how her eyes narrowed and her voice became steely as she addressed him.

 

“Bogum-ssi. It’s been a while.”

 

“Yes, it has,” Bogum agreed before turning back to me. “Can I talk to you for a while? In private?”

 

The tension in the air rose immediately as Seulgi stared daggers at Bogum. I heard a soft but low rumble in her chest and knew I had to settle this before the situation escalated.

 

“Seul,” I placed a hand on her shoulder. “It’s gonna be fine. Trust me okay?”

 

And, knowing that this would give her the assurance she needed, I kissed her on the lips in front of the entire class.

 

Right in front of Bogum.

 

The rumble in Seulgi’s chest turned into a soft purr as our lips met. I allowed the kiss to last for a second too long before pulling away to the sound to whoops and cheers in the background. Seulgi’s eyelids fluttered open and she gave me a kiss on my forehead.

 

“I trust you.”

 

Seulgi then stepped away, allowing me to head to the corner of the restaurant. I didn’t miss the smirk that graced her features as she looked at Bogum’s shell-shocked expression before heading to her seat.

 

“So, what do you want to talk about?” I crossed my arms, maintaining a respectable distance from Bogum.

 

“You and Seulgi are…together?”

 

“Yes, we are,” I affirmed immediately.

 

“You were with her the whole time I couldn’t reach you?” Bogum hissed, stepping into my personal space. I took a step back, glancing over at Seulgi who had one eye trained on both of us. Her jaw clenched seeing what Bogum just did but she made no move to come over, instead opting to return to catching up with her classmates at the same table.

 

Even if I was frowning at Bogum, inwardly, I smiled seeing how Seulgi trusted me enough to let me fight my own battles.

 

“Yes, I was,” I answered back. “Please don’t come too near to me.”

 

“Why? Will she scold you for being too close to me? Are you scared of her? Did she force you into getting into a relationship with her?” Bogum sneered, proceeding to take another step forward. I felt my anger rise as he openly defied my words and I met his gaze, refusing to back down.

 

“No. I don’t want you close to me because I don’t like it,” I replied sternly. “Don’t piss me off in front of everyone, Bogum.”

 

“We’ll talk about this later,” Bogum shifted back before marching back to his seat. My heart was pounding as I made my way over to Seulgi, who immediately opened her arms and pulled me close to her side. I pressed myself against her, welcoming her warmth and her scent.

 

“Joohyun is here. Are you guys ready for questions?” Minhyuk wriggled his eyebrows and the whole table chorused in agreement. Seulgi sighed and I pressed a kiss to her jaw.

 

“They were gonna ask sooner or later. Let’s just do this together,” I whispered in her ear. She looked back at me and let out a deep breath before looking back at the rest of the class.

 

“Alright, ask away guys. Answers are subjected to both Joohyun and my agreement.”

 

+

 

As drained as I was answering questions, Seulgi got the brunt of it, having to respond to questions pertaining to her life the past couple of years in Edmonton as well as our relationship. Despite the mental exhaustion, she never failed to look at me for my consent before replying others about our relationship, making sure the both of us were on the same page about what we could and were willing to divulge.

 

I gave her small pieces of encouragement on the way, kissing her cheek, squeezing her hand, telling her she was doing a great job and in return, I was rewarded with her smile and kisses on the temple as well.

 

“You two are seriously cute together. Last long guys,” Minhyuk and the others waved goodbye as we headed our separate ways.

 

“Thanks guys. It was nice meeting you all again,” Seulgi and I responded in turn before turning our heel to head towards the train station together.

 

“See that wasn’t so bad!” I nudged Seulgi in her side. “No one was angry!”

 

“Yea that was actually pretty nice,” Seulgi agreed. “Thanks for convincing me to come.”

 

“You’re just too negative-“  

 

“Bae Joohyun.”

 

A low voice stopped the both of us in our tracks. We turned around, only to see Bogum approaching both of us, a mask of anger over his face. Seulgi immediately stepped in front of me wanting to protect me but both of us hadn’t notice that she was the one Bogum was after.

 

“Kang Seulgi, I don’t know what you did to Joohyun but it‘s inconceivable how she’d even end up with someone like you.”

 

“Joohyun’s old enough to decide who she wants to be with,” Seulgi responded astutely.

 

“That’s bull,” Bogum grabbed Seulgi’s collar, startling both of us. “You ing brainwashed her. I was the one who was there for her when you stopped talking to her, when you disappeared after university. I was the one who checked in on her when you weren’t even in Korea. It was all me! I’ve always been there for her but where the hell have you been? And you think you deserve her? Come on!”

 

“Joohyun isn’t a possession to be won or deserved,” Seulgi replied weakly. I knew he had gotten to her with his words and everything he had hit all of Seulgi’s insecurities spot-on.

 

I stepped in, trying to pry Bogum’s fingers off Seulgi’s collar. “Bogum, stop. I made my choice and it isn’t you. Can you just let it be?”

 

“I’ll let it be, if you be with me,” Bogum replied, a crazed look in his eyes.

 

“That’s insane! Look at you right now! What makes you think I want to be with someone like you?!”

 

“Because, I will never leave you like she did.”

 

I saw how Seulgi immediately hung her head low at his words and I began to panic. He needed to stop sowing doubt in Seulgi.

 

“Seul, don’t listen to him,” I hoped my words

Please log in to read the full chapter