baby, don’t cry.

to the memory of you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

song recommendation ~ 아픈 길 hurt road - Day6
 

Baekhyun was rarely ever absent. Even when he was ill, Baekhyun always managed to show up to school with a box of tissues and pack of Strepsils to soothe his sore throat. Chanyeol always scolded him to stay home, but the older couldn’t bear to remain at home with nothing to do and no Chanyeol to lighten up his mood. In fact, there was only ever one time Baekhyun remained absent and it had lasted for a whole week. It was the first time Chanyeol had felt so lonely in a while. Baekhyun was always present to greet him with a hug and chat so animatedly to him about whatever was going in with his life, but now that Baekhyun was gone, Chanyeol realised just how dependent he was on the smaller boy. 

The first day Baekhyun was absent, Chanyeol texted him first thing at break time.

Chanyeol: Baek, why didn’t you come to school today? Is everything okay?

Baekhyun didn’t answer as quickly as he usually did. This didn’t bother Chanyeol as he thought he was probably occupied with something, but when Baekhyun didn’t reply for the whole day, Chanyeol became immensely concerned. The younger didn’t hesitate to spam him a couple of times and when night came, Chanyeol fell asleep with an uneasy heart and a restless mind. 

The second day, Baekhyun didn’t reply either. Chanyeol did his best to concentrate in his classes, but the thought of Baekhyun lingered in the back of his brain constantly. Chanyeol always refreshed his friend’s social media platforms, but there seemed to be no recent activity there either. Baekhyun had gone completely off the grid. 

By the third day, Chanyeol had begun to lose it. There were still no calls or texts from Baekhyun and Chanyeol was seriously dying of worry. Chanyeol had had enough. As soon as school had ended for the day, Chanyeol set out to Baekhyun’s house, rapping urgently on the front door. The atmosphere was strangely still, making it easy for Chanyeol to listen for a reply. There was no sound of footsteps so Chanyeol knocked again, a little more frantic. Just as the giant prepared to knock a third time, the door inched open, revealing a dishevelled Baekhyun with puffy eyes and a tear stained face.

“Ch-Chanyeol..” Baekhyun whispered softly, voice so weak and tremulous that Chanyeol felt his heart clench. 

“Baekhyun..? H-Hey what’s wrong?” the taller asked with wide eyes, his body stiff from seeing Baekhyun in such a state. 

The small boy collapsed against Chanyeol’s chest and broke out in heavy, painful sobs. Chanyeol froze up, not knowing exactly what to do in the situation. Baekhyun had never cried in front of Chanyeol during the entirety of their friendship. Chanyeol couldn’t even picture Baekhyun crying; Baekhyun was practically the living embodiment of happiness, and when did happiness ever falter? 

“H-He.. he’s gone..” 

Chanyeol felt yet another pang in his heart and he hugged Baekhyun as tightly as he could, rubbing his back warmly and pressing a kiss to his head. That just made Baekhyun sob even more uncontrollably, holding onto Chanyeol like his life depended on it. Chanyeol knew then, that seeing Baekhyun cry was no good for his heart. 

The first day that Baekhyun was absent was the day that his brother had passed away. Byun Baekbeom, 19, had passed away due to a cardiac arrest. The cause was unknown, although later, the coroner’s office would release a statement saying that it was due to natural causes. Chanyeol saw Baekhyun in a different light that day. Of course, he knew that Baekhyun was capable of expressing emotions, but never did he think to ever witness Baekhyun crying. 

They made it all the way to Baekhyun’s bedroom when Baekhyun began to sob uncontrollably again. At this point, Chanyeol shut up and pulled Baekhyun into his lap, rubbed his back and hugged him close. He knew that there was nothing he could say to console his friend because nothing was okay at the moment and so Chanyeol decided the best way was to physically reassure him. 

Baekhyun fell asleep some time later. Chanyeol’s leg was seriously cramping up but he never dared to move the slightest inch in fear of the boy waking up from his well-deserved nap. The giant never fell asleep either; not th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter