Chapter 2 - The Calm Before The Storm (Part 2)

No Signal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4pm Nepal Standard Time (NPT), that same day, about 2km away from the base camp…


 

“Are we there yet? How long more do we have to go?” whined Eunbi.

 

“Seriously Eunbi, you’ve got to stop asking the same questions over and over again. That’s the twenty-ninth time you’ve asked it already!” Sojung lashed out, desperate to have some quiet.

 

“Don’t be too harsh on her, Sojung. It’s her first time climbing a mountain. Cut her some slack,” intervened Eunha, trying her best to calm down her girlfriend, who definitely looked like she was about to rough Eunbi up. “Besides, we’re only about 2km away from the base camp. We should be able to reach there by sundown.” One of the sherpas who were accompanying them on their expedition, Mr Phurba Tashi, nodded his head in agreement.

 

“2 more kilometres?! I-” Eunbi started, but was quickly interrupted by Sojung. “Eunbi, I swear-”

 

“Okay, okay, calm down grandma, I’m not going to say anything anymore. But, can’t we at least take a break? My legs feel like they’re about to give out any moment now.”

 

“Now who’s the grandma, huh?” Sojung taunted, causing Eunbi to huff in annoyance.

 

“Guys, stop it. We’re here to support Yuna. Bickering isn’t going to help us in any way.” Eunha intervened, yet again, before the two found themselves in an all-out brawl. “Let’s take a 5-minute breather before we continue,” Eunha said, while looking at Mr Tashi, who then signalled his fellow Sherpa to take a break. All of them sat after the Sherpas managed to find a suitable place to rest. 

 

Eunha glanced over her shoulder just to see Yuna lost in her own thoughts. “Earth to Yuna,” she called out, “is everything alright?” 

 

“Huh?” Yuna replied, albeit startled as she was brought back to her senses. “Did you say something Eunha? Sorry, I didn’t catch what you just said.” she apologised. 

 

“I asked if everything’s alright, Yuna. You’ve been quite distracted ever since we left Lobuche this morning.” Eunha asked, visibly concerned for her sam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter