Alert

Starry Night (in progress)

               Various places flooded her unconscious. An unfamiliar purple field exposed itself completely to the bright sky, calling out. Its aura sent a chill throughout her body, as if piercing cold necklaces on bare skin. A new grass field hummed with a quiet urgency; in the distance, a girl with a white dress gazed outwards. Warmth began to spread throughout, triggering more distinct flashes.

               Kim Lip woke. Her room was barely illuminated by her window, an orange hue from the streetlamps reaching through into her room. A dull throbbing spurred in her head, but she chose to ignore it. Pulling herself up, she shook her blankets off then laid them onto her bed. Taking deep breaths, her sight began to wander around her room. Someone outside opened a door, and Lip snapped out of it, making her way to the bathroom.

~ ~ ~

               Inside the classroom, the electric humming filled the room. Kids filed into homeroom, ping their jackets and ruffling their bags as they opened them. The teacher came in soon after, setting her things at her desk and picking up a folder. Clouds drifted throughout the sky, murky against the bright classroom walls and desks. Lip opened her bag, placing a folder onto the desk. She stretched for a moment, pausing to rub her eye when she was interrupted suddenly by a pen tapping her desk.

               "Morning, Lip," she chimed in, her hands holding up her head.

               Lip turned to greet her back, "Morning, ViVi."

               "You excited for another Monday?"

               "I sure hope it doesn't become one," she replied, beginning to review her assignments. Finding Tuesday's date, she found the first line and looked for the assignment in her folder. After a couple minutes of searching, however, the assignment wasn't in her bag. Relaying the events of yesterday, Lip tried to remember where it could have gone. Only when she caught a few sentences the teacher was saying did something begin to feel different.

               "ViVi…" she started.

               "What's up?" she looked over, as upbeat as ever.

               "Didn't we work on these already?"

               ViVi scratched her nose, "Well, I started planning out what I would do, but that's what we're supposed to be working on today."
               "What about yesterday?" Lip pressed, turning now to look at her.

               "Yesterday? These are so much easier to work on in class, not at home. If you're worried about not finishing it, we can go to the library tonight to work on it, but I feel like we'll knock most of it out today." She hoisted her bag onto her desk, then exclaimed, "Oh! Speaking of yesterday, my mom had this meeting, right? Well, more like a party, and we were in charge of making fish cakes, but not enough people came! I have no idea what to do, so you have to help me out with them. I don't want my bag to smell."

               Lip reached over and patted her shoulder. "Hey, what's going on? Is this a prank? What is this?"

               "Huh?"

               "What day is today?"

               "Monday."

               Lip ped her bag and grabbed her phone. Sure enough, her phone shone "October 9th" across the top.

               ViVi put away her things, only to reach inside and pull something else out of her bag, small and round. "Want one?"

~ ~ ~

               Although the noise of the hallways wasn't anything significant, Lip's first class of mathematics clearly showed indications that something was off. Every single problem was the same, every interaction with a classmate as quirky as yesterday. The rain and wind began to escalate, but Lip began focusing on everything else, growing more alert as time passed. When lunch came around, trees swung furiously back and forth in the distance and torrents of water droplets crashed against the glass panes. Lip got her tray then walked to her round table. ViVi arrived soon after, dipping her spoon into her stew, grinning proudly.

               Lip looked around. Ahead, Jinsoul sat down, introducing herself to the people around her. Though a day had passed, Lip still felt the same impact she had felt before. ViVi stopped eating to nudge Kim Lip, "Oh! There's that new girl, she rode my bus this morning."
               "New girl?" Lip asked.

               "Yeah, just today. Should we ask what her name is?"

               Lip forced a chuckle, "We'll… meet her eventually, she's already making friends right now.

               "What, you're not curious?"
               "I mean… let's just wait."

               ViVi slid her bag off her shoulders, "Alright. I don't want everything to just be the same as last year…"

               "They might very well be."

~ ~ ~

               Lip arrived in science class, the computer clearly set up for a video. Two rows from the front sat Shin, his boots peeking out from underneath the seat. Lip sat behind him, trying to piece everything together. She rested her hand on his shoulder and he snatched it in one swift movement.

               "Gotcha," he said, turning to see her. "Usually you're quick enough to get out of it, but every once in a while I'm faster," he said with a grin.

               "Darn," Lip replied, leaning forward, "maybe next time."

               She signaled for him to move next to her, so he did - as the teacher came up to set-up the video, she explained what's been going on.

               "What, the entire day?" he questioned, starting to fill out the questions he was sure of on his worksheet. "Well, what about right now? This has happened before?"

               She took his worksheet, and scribbled in the answers the video hadn't gotten to yet. He looked up at the video, watching the diagrams and dialogue unfold.

               With a familiar sound, 'He bathed the cells in warm alcohol to remove the lipids, then he set enzymes loose on them to digest the proteins. What was left, after all that, was snotty gray stuff that he knew must be some new kind of biological substance. He called it nuclein-'

               "Nuclein…" Shin muttered.

               ' - but was later to become known as nucleic acid.'

               Shin put down his pencil. "I don't know, maybe. If anything, you've just gotten smarter. I'm not the one having the same day over and over, I've only done this once."

               "Have I told you…" Lip stopped. "No, I can't have." She sat back, almost grateful they no longer have to deal with her new crush. When the video began to finish, she sat up.

               "Here. Tell me something I don't know, something… obscure, or insignificant that you know, and when I… come back, I'll meet you and prove to you that I've been here before."

               "Lip, what's going on? Seriously."

               "Trust me."

               He organized his folder, then stashed it into a fold in his bag. "Alright, two days ago, I had four smoothies within an hour. Not only because my friend said I couldn't do it, but they were all very good flavors and choosing merely one would leave behind the others." He got up from his seat. "This was yesterday and it was in my room with two other friends. These people have never seen you before in their lives. If you can tell me this at some point, then I can start having a panic attack with you."

               "Four?" Lip cracked a smile.

               "... Are you jealous right now? You're looking pretty jealous."