New Air

Starry Night (in progress)

    It took a second for the group to orient themselves - thrown into night immediately after daylight caused a gray haze to cloud their eyes. Fragrance of grass and dust flowered around them, but no other sign of life alerted them. Getting up, Yves looked around.

    "Well," Hyunjin remarked. "That made my stomach hurt - that type of feeling doesn't usually motivate you to do it again, does it?"

    Yves smiled. "You're doing great. The quicker we get this done, the quicker you're home."

    Lip got up next, reaching out to lift the rest up. She looked around, spotting the opening in the trees towards the path. Behind her, Hyunjin wiped herself off and pulled something out of her pocket.

    "Best of luck," she said, eating the cherry and phasing away from sight. The grass swayed.

    Jinsoul shook her head, "I'll never get used to that. But… time goes on. Ready to keep going?"

~ ~ ~

    In a matter of time, the monstrous house entered their line of sight. Lip felt a sense of déjà vu coming over her, sneaking up behind her like a predator. Either the crunch of rocks and shifting their feet over them, the occasional bird whistle, or just their previous adventures involving this place - she couldn't put her finger on it. She had to stay focused.

    "So," Yves started, "we'll have to find her in her room, but I'm sure it'll be locked up for the night. On the first floor, the keys will be in the back-"

    "How are we going to know what room it is?"

    "I've been here for as long as I can remember - I'm sure I'll be able to tell."

    Passing the garden, they reached the door - Jinsoul twisted the handle and they entered, one after another. Yves took the lead, guiding them away from the staircases and their rooms. Eventually, they found themselves in another hallway, multiple doors facing each other lined the walls - Yves scanned the labels of the doors, often marked as "Janitor 1, Janitor 2, Janitor 3, etc…" but eventually found the one she was looking for - opening it, the room was littered with keys on hooks, all designated a number from 1 to 100. Zipping down the rows with her finger, she landed on 81, hovering her finger over the key - after a moment, she grabbed both the keys of 81 and 80.

    "Alright, we're good here," then exited.

    Racing back, they arrived at the familiar hallway. Lip imagined that girl making her way down the hall the night she discovered them, moonlight illuminating her figure. They reached the door and the key was pulled out, hooking into the socket and swinging the door so slightly ajar. Before their eyes, light fled from the room, shining onto the hallway and windows with a loud ringing.

    "Hurry!" Jinsoul reacted, rushing in - they ran in after her.

~ ~ ~

    Behind them, the door clicked shut. A familiar purple field exposed itself completely to the bright sky, calling out. Immediately, as if the purple came from flowers rather than the grass, a wonderful fragrance emanated around them, soaking into their clothes. In all directions, an expanse of land and sky stretched out beyond the reaches of their sight, a thin veil of fog at the horizon.

    "Well," Lip remarked, "this isn't the worst place to end up."

    "Yeah," Yves said after a moment, "where was my sunny field?"

    For a long while they wandered around, inhaling their momentary freedom and relaxation. The more they talked, the more it ended in laughter, retelling of how great their small adventures and surprises had been. Climbing over a hill, Lip lost sight of the door behind them as they continued to walk. Again, she stopped to try and put a finger on what she was trying to remember.

    Suddenly, a shout resounded from in front of them, two figures spotted at the bottom of the hill. They rushed over and Yves exclaimed - Haseul was straining, dragging someone across the grass. Reaching them, Chuu was lying in front of them, her hair in tangles and in very slow breaths.

    "Look, I-" Haseul started.

    "It doesn't matter, what happened?"

    "She… I don't really know, she looked like a crazy person - she was mumbling to herself, stumbling and crawling everywhere! When I tried to shake her out of it, she collapsed."

    Underneath Haseul, Chuu's eyes opened.

    "Hey, hey! Can you hear me? Chuu? It's gonna be okay."

    Jinsoul rubbed her shoulder. "What happened?"

    Chuu shook her head. "Go Won… tried saving Yeojin."

    "And?"

    "Haven't seen her since."

    Lip looked around, scanning for some signs of a magical forest. Jinsoul noticed her.

    "Oh, no you're not."

    Lip turned, "What, I wasn't going to do anything!"

    "That's right. We don't need you joining them in your attempt to save us all yet again."

    Lip turned back to the hill. "Let's just get out of here while we still can."

~ ~ ~

    On they went, taking turns carrying Chuu.

    "This is terrible," Lip forced out.

    "Can you see the door?" Jinsoul shouted out.

    Yves stood ahead of them at the top. "It's just one more push, guys. You got it- Wait, she's actually here!"

    Letting Chuu down, Lip ran forward a couple steps, narrowing her eyes to focus in - Yves ran over to another motionless figure, scanning her. Jinsoul carried Chuu behind her, so Lip nearly tripped down the hill, racing down to meet Yves. The girl opened her eyes, blinking and rubbing against the sunlight. She had a face with some near-childish charms, eyes widening and mouth unsure of what to do. Long, brown hair fell from her head, and she stood with some inherent elegance, or at least posture. Lip snapped back into focus.

    "I don't… I don't know what's going on," the girl said.

    Yves hid a smile, "It's okay, you're going to be okay." Turning to Lip, "Is Jinsoul coming?"

    "Yeah, she's coming down." To the new girl, "Hi, um… do you… remember anything? What your name is, or… or how you got here?"

    The girl shook her head.
    Yves patted her shoulder, "Alright, we'll help you out. Let's just get out of this place."

    Finally, they had reached the door and shifted through the archway. Immediately, the cold chill of air in the dead hallway hit them, breathed into their bodies. The fuzz of sight clouded Lip again, causing her to reach out and push against a wall to keep herself upright. Only then did the floor and carpet begin to materialize underneath her.

    "Is this it then?" Jinsoul asked.
    "Almost. If I could lock this place from our sight for good, then I would... but Olivia's still down there, and we need her."